Why do I want to have an UC (unassisted childbirth).....
1. There is NO midwives in my area that are free for July.
2. The doctor that I saw for a couple of visits is great, but she is in a team of 4 other doctors, including MY EX-BOYFRIEND"S DAD. I would have no way of know which of them would be at the hospital at the time of my delivery. They are the most alternative doctors around, and I wouldn't feel comfortable with any more "medicalized" doctors.
3. I don't want to have my baby in the hospital anyways, and they don't do home births
4. I believe birth to be a natural thing that doesn't need to be undertaken in an emergency setting, unless I had a history of problems...
5. Which I don't. Haeven was born after three pushes, and I was semi-reclining, so her descent was slightly impeded. I can get babies out *quick*
6. I have regrets about having the midwife there for her birth. She did things that were unneccessary because she wanted to prove herself, as I made the mistake of telling her I was considering UC earlier in the pregnancy
7. I'm very independant, and I know that I can do it
8. I want to be in charge of *how* I give birth, as when I had the midwife last time, I wanted to give birth in an *empowering* position, like standing up, or squating, and she wouldn't let me.
9. I want my baby all to myself!
when I gave birth with the MW, I felt like she gave me the baby, and that's just not right, IMO.
10. In the rare occurance of a problem, I live very close to a hospital.
By all means, I don't think UC is for everyone. But I for one, want to trust my body and instincts about having one, it's fine. Some people need the reassurance of a doctor, I just don't. I find that it impedes my ability to birth. I want my family with me, and memories that go beyond description. I hope that answers your question.