or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › March 2012 › Anyone thinking about VBAC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone thinking about VBAC?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 

I'm sure this is way early in a pregnancy to be thinking about it, but I guess it's important to come to terms that there will hopefully be another birth for me down the line.  My last one ended in a c/s, which I am fine with, kinda stalled out at 9cm w pitocin after 48 hours.  Found out he was sunny side and a little crooked.  But I guess the part that kinda freaks me out is that he was 9 1/2 pounds. with a big old head (I want to way 12cm diameter?).  I'm not that big of a person, I guess I'm average but my hip area etc seems smaller to me than someone who could get a baby out like that.  And his head seems bigger than the cervix.  how does that work exactly?  The idea of pushing till he gets a big enough conehead to fit through.  ugh ugh ugh.  I don't know.  I think I'm kinda freaked out about the part I never made it to last time.  And I guess it would be nice to hear other ladies stories about it, or there concerns, or positive outcomes, etc. I want to give it a shot, my hospital allows it, but I just wonder if I already see how it's going to turn out.  Though I don't want to create a self fulfilling prophecy....

post #2 of 5
My last birth was a vbac. I had to fight for it. My ob told me I couldn't push out a baby that was bigger then my first at 8 lbs who had shoulder dystoica( not bad at all). My c/s was an emergency for my twins. My dd placenta tore and I was bleeding. my twins were born at 35 wks and both over 6 lbs. My ob say my full on epidural with my first had nothing to do with my 1st ds delivery or the fact I labored in bed on my back and had to push and not feel anything cause they didn't turn down the epidural. I had a u/s at 37 wks and he was at 7 lbs 13 oz she didn't want me to try vbac and told me I couldn't go to 41 weeks and we had to schedule a c/s for the friday after my due date. My water broke on my due date and I pushed my 9 lbs 1.9 oz just after midnight. I pushed him with no issues at all and it only took a few pushes to get him out. My ob heard that morning I delivered and came to check on me and told me if she knew how big he was she never would have let me try....

I believe that God made us to be able to push out our babies we grow and that lots of times if we were left along to labor and deliver we would be able to do it just fine. I do feel that there are places for interventions but I think they use them too much and like to try to speed us up too much. I found lots of support for my vbac from ICAN! I hope you get the birth you want congrats on your pg...
post #3 of 5
I'm am hoping for a VBAC, but at this point I am not sure if I'll be able to or not. I've got a neurological condition that causes spasms. My neurologist and chiropractor feel that the relaxin should really help. If I am pushing correctly, it should not affect the muscles that normally spasm. If I'm having severe spasms, it's probably better to have a c-section. I don't have to make that decision for a long time, and for now, I'm hoping for the best. I am new to this doctor, but everyone I know has raved about her. She believes in a trial of labor, even with twins. I am lucky living in CA in that all of the hospitals will allow a VBAC.

DD was large, I was exhausted, and I honestly felt that with that doctor and hospital, I would not have been allowed to push long enough to get her out. I was offered a c-section or cytotec and pitocin, and chose the c-section. I feel more empowered this time around, and I chose a better health care provider. I'm working on stretching, kegels, and squatting to loosen myself up and strengthen the muscles in that area. Wish me luck. smile.gif
post #4 of 5

Just wanted to jump in here and add a link to the International Cesarean Awareness Network (ICAN) and their VBAC info, down the left side of the page. I have friends who had successful VBACs and HBACs and have spoken very highly of the support they received from their local ICAN groups. Maybe there is a group in your area where you can find the information and support you need :)




Best of luck to you Mamas!!!

post #5 of 5

To the OP - I'm a small-ish sized person and easily delivered a 9#3 baby without ANY pushing at all - he just appeared (the nurse caught him). Granted it was baby #5.


I'm considering a VBAC... not super getting my hopes up at this point because I do think I have a few things working against me (a stretched out uterus from many/close pregnancies - let my babe go transverse last time, my tendency to need augmentation, etc.) but at my initial intake appointment they didn't flat rule it out. I have a real appointment with an OB on the 17th and will discuss it more in detail then.


I don't think it's too early to decide. I hope to have a rough plan of action worked out soon - I don't want the stress at the end of pregnancy as to which way will I deliver (though as i know very well - things can change at the last second!)


I do wonder - the reason for my c/s last time was because baby went transverse in active labor. Assuming I am term and in labor all on my own, what's to stop that from happening again? Pretty much nothing... so not to be negative, but I'm trying to keep my hopes grounded. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: March 2012
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › March 2012 › Anyone thinking about VBAC?