or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

mamas with babies - Page 2

post #21 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by noorjahan View Post

Right now it's 3 am here and she is up...on my lap..she has her eyes closed but the moment I'm gonna put her on bed she'll wake up and cry!! 

 

 



Have you tried sleeping with her on top of you or pressed up tightly next to you?  This is what I do and my boy sleeps really well that way.  If I try putting him away from me he wakes up either immediately or pretty quickly.

post #22 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by noorjahan View Post


I'm anxiously looking forward to baby's "sleeping through the night" phase!! Right now it's 3 am here and she is up...on my lap..she has her eyes closed but the moment I'm gonna put her on bed she'll wake up and cry!! She has been like this since day 1.....and I almost don't believe in "sleeping through the night" thing!! It's really tiring.
 

 


Remember that 'sleeping through the night' is only considered 5 hours for little ones, and some don't till they are 4 or 5 yo! :) Just be realistic about it, Cate sleeps for 2 solid 3 hour blocks at night, and that makes me happy as DS didn't sleep well at all, till he was at least 2, and he was well past 3 before he was sleeping all night, almost every night. Babies that sleep 8 hours overnight early are very rare!

 

post #23 of 349
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynEpona View Post




Remember that 'sleeping through the night' is only considered 5 hours for little ones, and some don't till they are 4 or 5 yo! :) Just be realistic about it, Cate sleeps for 2 solid 3 hour blocks at night, and that makes me happy as DS didn't sleep well at all, till he was at least 2, and he was well past 3 before he was sleeping all night, almost every night. Babies that sleep 8 hours overnight early are very rare!

 



Sigh. Yep. My almost 5y has yet to ever STTN. 3 out of my 4 kids wake at night, DH takes one, and I get the other two so at least it isn't all of them. This baby does *ok* at night until 4am, by ok I mean waking around every hour to hour and a half. After 4am though, he just squirms constantly and isn't too happy. He will only sleep either tucked into my arm or on top of me. 

post #24 of 349

DD didn't start STTN til around 2 either.  Now at just shy of 3 she's pretty decently getting 10-11 hours straight at night.  It will be nice to only have one babe to deal with at night, but at least I know how it is so I'm prepared.  With DD I was so frustrated and confused and thought something was wrong.  Not wrong.  Just hard.  Hang in there Noorjahan!

post #25 of 349

Quote:

Originally Posted by SynEpona View Post

Remember that 'sleeping through the night' is only considered 5 hours for little ones,


Miss Ada slept six hours last night! I feel so rested. orngbiggrin.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

I had a bunch of spaghetti strap tank tops that I got at Costco for super cheap that worked great for this purpose


 

Oooooohhhh, we are going to Costco this afternoon and I remember seeing those tops. I'll have to pick some up. thumb.gif

 

 

post #26 of 349

My little (unnamed) man is 10 days old today.  He is an absolute joy.  In fact, he's so mellow that I sometimes worry, but that's me just being dumb.  He hardly ever cries.  I am not exaggerating.  In the 10 days since he was born, he has maybe had 8-10 minutes of cumulative crying and that's being generous.  He generally will do one squawk (which DH says is like a prairie dog) and that's it.  He sleeps very well during the day and night and is also content to be put down even while awake.  He is sometimes hard to wake up, but that's getting much better.  He nurses well, but sometimes takes a bit to latch on and will get frustrated and arch his back or pull on and off before he gets it.  He lost only 2 oz at his first appt and has since gained back 6 oz (as of 1 wk old) so he is gaining and eating well. 

 

I got mastitis which put me on my butt with a high fever and very bad shaking.  It was uncontrollable and awful.  I'm on the mend now.  I had third degree tearing so I'm still healing from that, but you'd think I barely tore given the lack of significant discomfort.  It pretty much just hurts when I wipe (pat) and if I have to cough or sneeze.  I can feel it when I am sitting, but it's more a general awareness than actual pain. 

 

Nursing is going well, but I leak terrible.  Baby boy and I have to strip down before eating and I have to have several cloth diapers ready for wiping and catching the flow from both boobs or we'll both be soaked.  No lie.  When he latches and then pulls off right away, the flow has already started and it can literally pour down my side.  Kinda cool my body can do that, but it's getting annoying because everything is covered in milk (i.e. my undies, the baby, the sheets, etc).  I figure we'll get the hang of it soon and be able to complete a successful session with us ending up drier. :)

post #27 of 349

I'm wearing one from Costco right now. Very comfy.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamerle View Post

Quote:


Miss Ada slept six hours last night! I feel so rested. orngbiggrin.gif

 

 


 

Oooooohhhh, we are going to Costco this afternoon and I remember seeing those tops. I'll have to pick some up. thumb.gif

 

 



 

post #28 of 349

Veianya is 5 days old today.  She is another very mellow baby (so far!) and has been really easy to care for.  I'm on edge a lot because of her NICU problems though.  Last night she started gulping at nothing real fast and got really blue around her lips and face.  It all lasted maybe half a minute but it was horrifying and felt like forever.  Turning her over and rubbing/patting her back really firm got that episode to end with her screaming her head off and then falling right back to sleep.  I have been up watching her breath ever since, and I have never been one of *those* mothers before.  I would have called for help or something, but it was over before I could.  I'm just glad we were co-sleeping and I knew it was happening because she was silent.  It terrifies me to think about what could have happened if she was sleeping alone. :( She sees a doctor tomorrow, but I'm not sure what, if anything, they will have to say about it if they don't see the episode for themselves.  In the hospital the nurses rolled their eyes at me too until they actually witnessed her turning blue...and then it was an emergency.

 

 

Breastfeeding is getting so much better.  She was pretty much exclusively formula and bottle fed for the first three days.  Then yesterday I finally got her latching sometimes and now my milk is starting to come in. joy.gif I have enough pump milk saved up now that when she needs a bottle, I can use that instead of formula.  I'm going to keep working at getting her ebf though.  I've been considering it my full time job these last couple of days.  Lots of nursing and laying in bed skin to skin time.  If nothing else...I do not want to spend $ on formula for the next two years!

post #29 of 349

Oh and for the babies who aren't wanting to sleep (or be set down).  I highly recommend trying one of those swaddle blanket things.  I have one and Veianya pretty much lives in it.  She is much more mellow when she is in it and she sleeps by herself with no problems.  I wish I had had one of these things when my other two kids were infants!

post #30 of 349

That's terrifying, Melaya.

I'm so glad you're such an attentive mother! And that she's latching, yay! I hope they get that figured out and her breathing stays strong. Thinking of you!

post #31 of 349

Anton is almost a week old and had his first pediatrician appt. today.  He was 2oz above his birth weight.  He's supposed to come back in a week to be weighed again to make sure he continues to gain.  Breastfeeding was a challenge at first, since he spent the first day of his life in NICU and they gave him a pacifier and a bottle.  The only way I could get him to latch for a couple of days was with a nipple shield.  Now, thankfully, since my milk came in he will latch without it, but it still takes some work sometimes.  Last night he slept for five hours straight which was pretty remarkable.  I actually woke up a few times to check on him because I couldn't believe it.  Unfortunately when he did wake up, after I fed him he was crying for about an hour and a half...I think he was having gas issues.  I ate broccoli yesterday, so maybe I should skip that from now on?

post #32 of 349



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post

Have you tried sleeping with her on top of you or pressed up tightly next to you?  This is what I do and my boy sleeps really well that way.  If I try putting him away from me he wakes up either immediately or pretty quickly.


I started doing this and it seems it's working! If I put her down on bed while she is still not fully sleep, she will get up. But now that I'm next to her, she doesn't get up right away...she will look around a little and then will fall asleep! thanks for the tips!
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by SynEpona View Post


Remember that 'sleeping through the night' is only considered 5 hours for little ones, and some don't till they are 4 or 5 yo! :) Just be realistic about it, Cate sleeps for 2 solid 3 hour blocks at night, and that makes me happy as DS didn't sleep well at all, till he was at least 2, and he was well past 3 before he was sleeping all night, almost every night. Babies that sleep 8 hours overnight early are very rare!

 


It's good to know. I was really thinking STTN meant really whole night! She seems to sleep that 4 hours early morning from anytime after 5 or 6 staright to 10/11 a.m. But I really need to change this schedule..but I guess there is no way. She does sleep pretty much on and off entire day...but at night after 11 p.m. she is wide awake! I feel very tired from holding, feeding, changing diaper non stop all night.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

DD didn't start STTN til around 2 either.  Now at just shy of 3 she's pretty decently getting 10-11 hours straight at night.  It will be nice to only have one babe to deal with at night, but at least I know how it is so I'm prepared.  With DD I was so frustrated and confused and thought something was wrong.  Not wrong.  Just hard.  Hang in there Noorjahan!


Thanks Baby cakes! Things are slowly getting better!


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaika View Post

Anton is almost a week old and had his first pediatrician appt. today.  He was 2oz above his birth weight.  He's supposed to come back in a week to be weighed again to make sure he continues to gain.  Breastfeeding was a challenge at first, since he spent the first day of his life in NICU and they gave him a pacifier and a bottle.  The only way I could get him to latch for a couple of days was with a nipple shield.  Now, thankfully, since my milk came in he will latch without it, but it still takes some work sometimes.  Last night he slept for five hours straight which was pretty remarkable.  I actually woke up a few times to check on him because I couldn't believe it.  Unfortunately when he did wake up, after I fed him he was crying for about an hour and a half...I think he was having gas issues.  I ate broccoli yesterday, so maybe I should skip that from now on?


My baby had the same issue. She was at the NICU for abt 7 hours right after birth and they gave her formula (without asking me first, but apparently she was having blood sugar prob). I did pump and gave her the colestrum...but since then she was having issues with latch. First few days I pumped like crazy and also supplemented with formula. Things have gotten much better. Now, latching is not a prob (except when she is too riled up and have no patience) ..and formula is off....luckily my milk supply is also quite good...so much so I wake up feeling wet...and it's my boobies leaking milk all over....very annoying feeling. I hope things get better fot you and baby soon.

 

 

She hasn't pooped in 2 days ...but farting like crazy!!
 

 

post #33 of 349
Alexander is 11 days old today and so far he is a very mellow guy. I'm beside myself because I don't know what to do with such a chill baby! Ds1 was super fussy and very high-needs starting from day 1. He had reflux, a bad latch, and wouldn't tolerate being put down for even half a minute! Alexander nurses like a champ, will sleep in his swing or co-sleeper for up to a couple of hours and just about never cries! He isn't even very gassy. He only burps after feeding about half the time and has only spit up twice ever. The only thing that I could even dream of complaining about is he cluster feeds all day. So I spend hours nursing at a time, but then he'll have 2-3 3 hr long naps each day. He even sleeps 5-6 hours at night. What a huge difference from his bug brother!!

We took him to the ped at 5 days old and he had only lost 2oz, which feels like such a triumph to me. I had big time breastfeeding issues with ds1 and he was a very slow weight gainer (still is, actually). I was so worried that my poor milk production was because of some issue with my body and we would repeat the sane issues this time. It seems that my prior issues may have simply been related to ds1's poor latch and weak sucking though, because so far my supply seems to be just fine. I'm still waiting for some problem to arise though. I guess time will tell. We go back to the ped tomorrow for a weight check and that will be my reassurance that we're still doing ok.

I am having some difficulty making he adjustment to being a mommy of two. My older DS is 2yrs old and is very, very attached to me. Well, he's very attached to both DH and I, but his relationship with daddy hasn't really changed. He's nursing still and, while he's essentially night weaned, he still needs to be nursed down to sleep for naps and nighttime. This obviously is difficult at best with a newborn who is nursing round the clock! Ds1 is really having a tough time making adjustments to his "mommy time" and I have so much guilt over causing my relationship with him to change that I'm in tears at least once each day. I don't know if maybe I have a touch of the baby blues making it worse or what. But I am not really randomly sad and I have no sadness directed at Alexander. It's just over the time I've lost with my big boy. greensad.gif. I miss him.

I really hope this gets easier.
post #34 of 349
Thread Starter 

I've been reading the posts since I get email updates but not always enough time to respond. Still got a fussy baby, I have to say that I'm really missing my last mellow little guy. This guy isn't screaming all day long (I've had one of those before as well) but off and on through out the day, he requires being handled in a certain way only by me and since I'm the productive one in this house, it means nothing is getting done. I spent all day today calming him down and folding laundry, 10+ loads worth and that was just since Friday! And that was my entire day, forget about even putting it away. Because when I do have him calmed down, I'm afraid to move or else it will set off another crying jag. Slings only work sometimes to keep him asleep. I tried giving him a bottle this morning and he did take a bit but I'll have to work with him on that. He does have to take one, he can come with me to work for the rest of the year, but that isn't forever! School for my girls starts next week and I'm really dreading it, the night rush of dinner, showers, packing up lunches, bags, etc... it is going to be a nightmare since 4pm on is really bad for Dominic. I'm so utterly thankful now that I did plan ahead and don't have to drag him out 3 nights a week for the after school stuff. Kids have all settled down and are doing ok, although DD2 is sick with a cold so I'm just waiting for the baby to get it. Not even 3 weeks old and I'm sure this will be his first illness. eyesroll.gif

 

Melaya- DD2 did that several times, she had lung issues, was O2 dependent until 7 months of age. It is so scary when they pull that on you, I hope she stops!

 

 

Erica- Enjoy that mellow baby! The adjustment from 1-2 can take a while, be gentle on yourself. He will get used to it and so will you, just give it some time. hug2.gif

post #35 of 349

Hi everyone wave.gif Guess I'll join this thread now! Not that I have time to post, but, like right now, sometimes when the baby finally sleeps I just want to take some time for something other than napping or basic hygiene orngtongue.gif

 

Hmm, baby must be waking up now though because I just started leaking milk everywhere...

post #36 of 349

It's so surreal to be back on here and posting in this thread! I am still kind of out of it from this huge change in my life. We're almost 3 weeks in now, and things are starting to settle down for me emotionally. For the first 2 weeks I was absolutely terrified that there was something wrong with her everytime she cried or looked uncomfortable. I got hit with ppd pretty bad for about a week, and would cry and cry every evening, that coupled with the fear and anxiety I was feeling made for a pretty rough transition into motherhood for me. I am feeling muuuch better now, which is such a relief.

 

DH went back to work yesterday, which is a little hard for me because he has been so amazing helping me relax and taking care of the baby when I need a rest. He cooked dinner the entire two weeks he was home, and has been running all the errands. I have been able to really take it easy and just focus on caring for the baby. Now that he is back at work, and I am trying to start doing household chores again, it is a bit of a bummer, like vacation is over yk?

 

I have never known another newborn baby before, so I don't know what to compare my experience with, but Eleanor seems pretty laid back to me. She doesn't cry a lot, just gives a few unhappy squawks if I take too long getting ready to feed her. She gets kind of fussy in the evenings, but it's not crying, she just kind of whimpers and squirms around and seems unhappy for a few hours. We've just been holding her through this since she will fall asleep for a while if she is being held. I am pretty sure it is some kind of reflux thing, since if she spits up during this time, it seems like it is painful for her. I have been sure to nurse her in a more upright position, and I don't lay her flat on her back for at least 15 minutes after each feeding. I also have been careful about eating foods that can cause relfux and this has helped somewhat. Does anyone else have a baby who is going through this?

 

AFM I am still bleeding, which is starting to worry me a bit. I still go through 3-4 pads a day. It's hard for me to tell where the blood is coming from, whether it is from where I had my episiotomy and tear, or if it is coming from my uterus. My urethra has also felt pretty irritated and I thought some of the blood might have been coming from there if maybe there was damage done from the catheder? I already tested negative for a UTI, so I've ruled that out. Has anyone else bled for this long? Should I be worried?

post #37 of 349

JBouck- I always bleed for at least 8 weeks, what a crock right? nono02.gif

post #38 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbouck5 View Post

It's so surreal to be back on here and posting in this thread! I am still kind of out of it from this huge change in my life. We're almost 3 weeks in now, and things are starting to settle down for me emotionally. For the first 2 weeks I was absolutely terrified that there was something wrong with her everytime she cried or looked uncomfortable. I got hit with ppd pretty bad for about a week, and would cry and cry every evening, that coupled with the fear and anxiety I was feeling made for a pretty rough transition into motherhood for me. I am feeling muuuch better now, which is such a relief.

 

DH went back to work yesterday, which is a little hard for me because he has been so amazing helping me relax and taking care of the baby when I need a rest. He cooked dinner the entire two weeks he was home, and has been running all the errands. I have been able to really take it easy and just focus on caring for the baby. Now that he is back at work, and I am trying to start doing household chores again, it is a bit of a bummer, like vacation is over yk?

 

I have never known another newborn baby before, so I don't know what to compare my experience with, but Eleanor seems pretty laid back to me. She doesn't cry a lot, just gives a few unhappy squawks if I take too long getting ready to feed her. She gets kind of fussy in the evenings, but it's not crying, she just kind of whimpers and squirms around and seems unhappy for a few hours. We've just been holding her through this since she will fall asleep for a while if she is being held. I am pretty sure it is some kind of reflux thing, since if she spits up during this time, it seems like it is painful for her. I have been sure to nurse her in a more upright position, and I don't lay her flat on her back for at least 15 minutes after each feeding. I also have been careful about eating foods that can cause relfux and this has helped somewhat. Does anyone else have a baby who is going through this?

 

AFM I am still bleeding, which is starting to worry me a bit. I still go through 3-4 pads a day. It's hard for me to tell where the blood is coming from, whether it is from where I had my episiotomy and tear, or if it is coming from my uterus. My urethra has also felt pretty irritated and I thought some of the blood might have been coming from there if maybe there was damage done from the catheder? I already tested negative for a UTI, so I've ruled that out. Has anyone else bled for this long? Should I be worried?



I totally forgot about the baby blues until they hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday (DD is 5 days old now).  My DH came in the room from a run and wanted to hold her, and I totally flipped out on him.  JUST because she's not hungry right now doesn't mean I have to immediately turn her over to someone else, ykwim?  I guess that goes for DH too.  I cried until he gave her back to me. argh.

 

Your baby's fussy time is called the "witching hour" around our house.  DD is still too new to really get into it, but I remember DS being fussy for a couple of hours every evening, and then again for most of the night for a while.  DD seems to get a bit fussy in the wee hours of the night here, mostly because I try to put her down next to me so I can sleep some and she wants to be held constantly.  So far I have spent most nights sleeping sitting up.

 

As far as bleeding goes, that sounds normal to me.  I know that with sections (like I had) you don't bleed for quite as long b/c the OBs tend to clean your uterus out pretty well.  But from talking to other mamas that have had vaginal births, the bleeding will taper off after a few weeks or even more.  As long as you aren't bleeding through a pad an hour, and don't have any super huge clots you're fine.

 

post #39 of 349

JBouck--with DD I bled for at least 5 weeks maybe 6 (I don't remember for sure) the end was just a little trickle here and there.  So, you sound pretty normal.  It does get old though.  So, far with DS I am still bleeding, but it is really light.  I am currently 1.5 weeks PP.  I have lost a lot less blood this time around, which is interesting to me.  I guess it really does vary from pregnancy to pregnancy.

 

I haven't had any baby blues, but I do feel a bit emotional.  I sometimes feel like crying when I read a particularly touching story or a disturbing news article--mostly I just feel a bit more sensitive.  I say, in general ask for the help you need and make sure you take care of yourself--rest a lot and don't worry about things like cleaning, etc.  This is what I am trying to do, but life does go on and DD still needs to be taken care of. 

 

Gotta go DS woke up.

post #40 of 349

Everyone sounds like they're enjoying their littles! <3

Lilah is pretty amazing. She's only 4 days old today. So far she sleeps a lot, but when she is awake she looks so alert.  She has these huge deep blue eyes! She only really cries when she's hungry and usually just for a min until we get situated. The first day or so she had troubles latching on, but she's doing great now. My milk started coming in! It's so exciting to me. On a weird little side note- I found out I have an extra mammary gland in my armpit and it also filled with milk.  It doesn't really hurt, it's just kind of uncomfortable.  Apparently I can get it removed with a minor surgery but I feel like it would hurt more and bother me more healing from that than it does now. We've basically just been laying in bed the last 4 days so I don't really have much to talk about. I'm so thankful my family is here to help out. I went through a lot after delivery so I haven't really been very mobile. I'm feeling a little bit stronger everyday though. My lady parts went through a lot too! :/ It only really hurts when I'm sitting on a hard surface or  going to the bathroom. So far I don't have any signs or feels of postpartum depression. I was kind of worried about that due to my past, but I'm really happy. :)
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2011