or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › October 2011 › I need baby toiletries help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need baby toiletries help! - Page 2

post #21 of 42

California baby here, it's so sensitive and they made fragrance-free if you prefer (although the scents are natural and subtle).

 

The one product I couldn't live without was Weleda's calendula diaper cream. You have to watch using it with cloth dipes (just use a disposable liner) but it works so, so well and isn't full of non-breathable petroleum junk. I still use it on dd (4.5) occasionally if her yoni looks red and it clears it right up. Love the stuff!

post #22 of 42
We like the Yes to Baby Carrots products (shampoo/wash, lotion, bubble bath). They seem to be really gentle, and smell nice (but not overpowering).
post #23 of 42

I've never washed a baby, but I was thinking I probably wouldn't anything but water most of the time. I make my own cold-process soap which is extremely mild and can be unscented, so I'll use a little of that if I feel like baby needs soap. 

 

We'll see how it goes, though!

 

 

post #24 of 42



I had no idea that method even made baby products! I wonder if those are available in Canada...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post

Have any of you used the method brand of baby products?  I really like their stuff and was thinking of trying it out.



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post

Additional question? Is tear free that big a deal? My friend says it is, but I've never bathed babies with tear free stuff, and I've bathed a bunch of kids.



I'm not entirely sure about which soaps they are, and if they're all the same, but I was told that the 'tear free' soaps have a numbing agent in them that is really a pretty nasty chemical. I wish I could remember the name of it. There was recently a show (20/20 or something simlar) that picked apart bath products, particulary baby bath products. A lot of the baby soaps have a chemical in them that is a known carcinogen.

This one doesn't say anything about the numbing agent...but here's a list of some of the baby products that have toxins: http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/formaldehyde-47031201

 

Here's something on the tear free...(doesn't actually say what the chemical is though...) http://www.bodyright.ie/article/organic-kids-shower-products-organic-tear-free-no-numbing-agents/

 

post #25 of 42

Holy Crap!!!

 

thanks corabelle....

 

I did not know that about tear free...we use Burts Bees...I may have to e-mail them...I thought it was just milder :(

 

 

i do not think we have any california baby in canada

post #26 of 42

I know the johnsons and johnsons has the numbing agent but as far as I know the "natural" ones use milder ingredients and possibly natural numbing stuff. Not nasty chemicals.

 

 

post #27 of 42

I don't think there's really a numbing agent in Johnson & Johnson's.  The ingredients are all listed here:  http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/174195/Johnson_%26_Johnson_Johnson%27s_No_More_Tears_Baby_Shampoo/, and if you click each ingredient it explains what it does, and none of them are numbing agents.  

post #28 of 42



I wouldn't worry about burt's bees, they're a pretty clean company. I don't think that we have california baby here, i buy mine (well, the sunscreen anyway) when I cross border shop in buffalo ny;)  There's a really classy children's consignment store just across the street from my house that sells some organic/toxin free baby toiletries. I'll take a look and see what the brands are, and report back.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse2007 View Post

Holy Crap!!!

 

thanks corabelle....

 

I did not know that about tear free...we use Burts Bees...I may have to e-mail them...I thought it was just milder :(

 

 

i do not think we have any california baby in canada


 

Regarding the Johnson & Johnson numbing agent, I know that they recently went on a campaign to clean up their products, although some still contain some seriously disturbing toxins. I can't remember which ones, I just don't use any of it.

I know wet wipes were another culprit (many brands have a chemical that wasn't even approved by the fda for lotions, but is allowed for wet wipes)...so I either use really natural disposable ones when we're out or tiny handmade flannel ones with a spray bottle of homemade solution when we're home.
I need to find the link on the wet wipes. If I can find it, i'll post it.

 

post #29 of 42


you rock...looking forward to the info you are sharing!!!!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrabelle View Post



I wouldn't worry about burt's bees, they're a pretty clean company. I don't think that we have california baby here, i buy mine (well, the sunscreen anyway) when I cross border shop in buffalo ny;)  There's a really classy children's consignment store just across the street from my house that sells some organic/toxin free baby toiletries. I'll take a look and see what the brands are, and report back.

 


 

Regarding the Johnson & Johnson numbing agent, I know that they recently went on a campaign to clean up their products, although some still contain some seriously disturbing toxins. I can't remember which ones, I just don't use any of it.

I know wet wipes were another culprit (many brands have a chemical that wasn't even approved by the fda for lotions, but is allowed for wet wipes)...so I either use really natural disposable ones when we're out or tiny handmade flannel ones with a spray bottle of homemade solution when we're home.
I need to find the link on the wet wipes. If I can find it, i'll post it.

 



 

post #30 of 42

Here are some links about wet wipes, and other toiletries... http://www.brighthub.com/environment/green-living/articles/48140.aspx 

There are quite a few out there! Just google toxins+baby wipes or chemicals+baby care products etc. It's overwhelming.

 

http://valdezlink.com/pages/babywipes.htm 

http://euphoriamaternity.wordpress.com/2008/03/24/toxins-in-baby-wipes/ 

http://safecosmetics.org/article.php?id=414

http://www.ewg.org/report/toxic-tub/31209 

 

I swear I'm not a conspiracy theorist...but I won't put anything on my baby that I couldn't safely *eat*.

post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrabelle View Post

Here are some links about wet wipes, and other toiletries... http://www.brighthub.com/environment/green-living/articles/48140.aspx 

There are quite a few out there! Just google toxins+baby wipes or chemicals+baby care products etc. It's overwhelming.

 

http://valdezlink.com/pages/babywipes.htm 

http://euphoriamaternity.wordpress.com/2008/03/24/toxins-in-baby-wipes/ 

http://safecosmetics.org/article.php?id=414

http://www.ewg.org/report/toxic-tub/31209 

 

I swear I'm not a conspiracy theorist...but I won't put anything on my baby that I couldn't safely *eat*.

 

I totally agree - I wouldn't use most Johnson's products either, and most wipes seem completely nasty.  I love the EWG cosmetics database for information on toxic ingredients.  It's so thorough.  
 

 

post #32 of 42

Ha, really, in a pinch, you could just use a damp paper towel....

So funny the thigs that we use on our babies now that didn't even exist 50 years ago! My grandmother still referrs to disposable diapers as "paper pants". I think it's hilarious.

post #33 of 42

oh and I like "unpetroleum jelly" when that seems warranted and keep some around. but seriously we mostly just use our cooking oils (coconut or olive) on the kids.

 

yesterday DD was begging for "a haircut" and I gave her a mini one. then I noticed all the nasty scales on her head and I think someone here said they used olive oil... I forgot about that! I combed her hair through with olive oil, and the DS (who is 6) wanted his hair oiled too. So I had these very slick looking kids for a few hours and then washed it out. The scales are all gone (for now anyway)

 

I really never have carried wipes. I usually have some paper towels, napkins, or cloth rags in my bag, and like a PP said, if really needed, dampen it (we always have water bottles).

post #34 of 42

I could use a good "wipes" spray recipe....the last one I used had lavender and teatree oil-and was way too potent

 

I have since discovered calendula oil and love it...

 

def need a spray for diaper bag...for my potty training ooops and extra clean toddler & preschooler bum (ds is not the best wiper...lol)

post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

oh and I like "unpetroleum jelly" when that seems warranted and keep some around. but seriously we mostly just use our cooking oils (coconut or olive) on the kids.

 

yesterday DD was begging for "a haircut" and I gave her a mini one. then I noticed all the nasty scales on her head and I think someone here said they used olive oil... I forgot about that! I combed her hair through with olive oil, and the DS (who is 6) wanted his hair oiled too. So I had these very slick looking kids for a few hours and then washed it out. The scales are all gone (for now anyway)

 

I really never have carried wipes. I usually have some paper towels, napkins, or cloth rags in my bag, and like a PP said, if really needed, dampen it (we always have water bottles).


haha, i used coconut oil on my guy's bum once in a while. They smell so nice after!
I use baking soda to get the oil out after doing an olive oil cradle cap wash. and just a tiny bit. (around 1/4 of a tsp.) Rub it in and around, and rinse.
 If they're a little older, cider vinegar works, but it really wouldn't be too much fun on the eyes. That, and they end up smelling like a pickle...haha.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse2007 View Post

I could use a good "wipes" spray recipe....the last one I used had lavender and teatree oil-and was way too potent

 

I have since discovered calendula oil and love it...

 

def need a spray for diaper bag...for my potty training ooops and extra clean toddler & preschooler bum (ds is not the best wiper...lol)

Essential oils are pretty stong. If you're looking for some scent though, you can use actual tea, rather than the oil.

Tea tree has great antibacterial properties, and is really good for things like dandruff etc. But you really don't need it on your baby's bottom  on a regular basis. And you need to have a good carrier oil to distribute it if you're applying it directly. (grapeseed oil, or almond oil etc.) It would probably really sting if you used it on it's own!

 

I use dr. bronner's baby castile soap in wet wipe spray, but really diluted with some oil (almond or grapeseed), a bit of water (scented with tea if you like) and a touch of glycerine. I've made my own from scratch, from my own soap, but dr bronners goes a really long way and it's almost not even worth my time to make the soap myself, unless i'm making it anyway.

 

For a TON of wipe solution recipes, try this link. http://www.zany-zebra.com/cloth-wipe-solution.shtml 

 

If you're using any of the recipes that call for baby wash, just make sure that you're using one that you know is safe. (Those would be where i'd use dr. bronners.)

You can also use veggie oil or olive oil in place of almond or grapeseed, they're just thicker and don't mix quite as well. They're fine, you just have to shake a little more;)

 

 

post #36 of 42

Corrabelle, you are a total wealth of knowledge and info!  I'm inspired to try some of these tips, and I'm checking out zany zebra now. 

 

I think I definitely fall in the "bathe less" category, and I'm fine avoiding soaps as much as possible!  I'm interested in non-shampoo alternatives too.  I should start a new thread on the multi-cultural families, because baby will be biracial and I have no idea what to expect from his/her hair.  However, I imagine that starting off, baking soda and olive oil will be more than sufficient.

 

Any biracial families in our DDC have experience with this?

post #37 of 42



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy May View Post

Corrabelle, you are a total wealth of knowledge and info!  I'm inspired to try some of these tips, and I'm checking out zany zebra now. 

 

I think I definitely fall in the "bathe less" category, and I'm fine avoiding soaps as much as possible!  I'm interested in non-shampoo alternatives too.  I should start a new thread on the multi-cultural families, because baby will be biracial and I have no idea what to expect from his/her hair.  However, I imagine that starting off, baking soda and olive oil will be more than sufficient.

 

Any biracial families in our DDC have experience with this?


One of the bloggers I follow has biracial children, and has homemade shampoo recipes that she uses. (I think she does the olive oil/baking soda/cider vinegar thing too!)

http://lifeonthefrancofarm.blogspot.com/2011/05/recipe-homemade-shampoo-and-conditioner.html
Not to say that would work for everyone, it depends on the texture of the hair probably.

 

I have friends who are a biracial couple, and some of their kids have her hair (tight, curly, textured and somewhat brittle) , and some have hair like their dad's. (Caucasion) It's kind of funny though, because their second child was born with hair like hers, but then after a few months (when the baby kind of shed it's first hair)  it sort of turned into hair like his dad's! (and changed colour completely.)
 

 

post #38 of 42

All I ever used was a bar of Burt's Bees baby shampoo (bar) probably once or twice a week just a little bit at a time - that little bar lasted well over a year!  And I also used Waleda Baby calendula care diaper cream from time to time.  I rarely needed it though - used cloth diapers, warm washcloth with just water to wipe, then thoroughly dried bum before putting diaper back on.

 

A lot of washing was just done on the change tables (pits, bum and neck folds) with a baby washcloth and warm water (no soap).  

 

Never had any skin problems, excema, allergies, ear infections nor diaper rashes (until more acidic solid foods introduced...but even still they were pretty mild).  Could have just been plain good luck, but i think not overwashing (and over-producting) her skin kept it in good shape so the natural oils in her body could do their job properly.

 

And I saved a ton of money!

post #39 of 42

Hey there OP, IDK if I'm DDCC here or not since I'm due either Nov 2 or Oct 31, but I just wanted to throw in my recommendations for what has worked well for me as far as baby toiletries go!  I am very in to being natural/organic, I check everything on cosmeticdatabase.com, and all that:)

Anyway, the first few months I just use warm water, no soap except maybe after an explosive newborn poop:)   Then I started using this http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-103649-noli-n-nali-organics-soothing-baby-wash-bar-soap-with-aloe-and-oatmeal-unscented-35-oz  and liked it a lot but thought it was a little expensive and DH did not like using bar soap lol so I got this instead(for both her body and hair) and now I use this on myself as well http://www.vitacost.com/Dr-Bronners-Organic-Shikakai-Liquid-Baby-Mild-Soap-Unscented.   

For diaper rash cream I get http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Baby-Organics-Diaper-Cream-All-Natural-Fragrance-Free   I did not need to use it at all til almost 1yr old with my last baby.  For really bad rashes, which DD got when she got diarrhea I use this(I prefer the other stuff because it is more natural and organic but this stuff does work better on healing bad rashes) http://www.vitacost.com/California-Baby-Calming-Diaper-Rash-Cream 

This is by far the best diaper powder I have found http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-26315-natures-baby-organics-silky-dusting-powder-fragrance-free-4-oz 

For baby oil I use plain grapeseed oil.

For baby lotion I use raw organic shea butter that I get in bulk on ebay.  I only use grapeseed oil or shea butter on myself as well for moistuizer.  Or apricot oil I would use too I guess.

For sunscreen I use this http://www.vitacost.com/Badger-SPF-30-plus-Baby-Sunscreen 

I also have an aloe plant that I have used on our skin sometimes for a change of pace lol.  I cant think of any other toiletries that we use, HTH!

post #40 of 42

Haven't read the other replies, but my family uses Dr Bronner's castile soap.  My kids use the "baby mild" kind.  I'll be using that on the new baby as well :)  I'll probably use that as "shampoo" until he actually gets enough hair to wash it with something else and then I'll use my kids shampoo on him- Jason's.  Don't use lotions or anything.  I make a diaper rash powder from flour and use pure cornstarch (not the kind you find in the baby aisles) or california baby diaper rash cream for the rare diaper rashes.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: October 2011
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › October 2011 › I need baby toiletries help!