I think I may be out...at least my midwives seem to think so. I started spotting last Sunday (just brownish stringy bits) then it changed to red on Monday afternoon. Tuesday I went in for an ultrasound and they found a wee bebe with a heartbeat and drew some blood for testing. They got back with me on Wednesday and said that my HCG was good (19,655) but my progesterone was low (4.8, I think)...so they got me a prescription (100mg. oral twice a day) and I started that Wednesday night. Every time I'd take the progesterone, my bleeding would lighten for a few hours and then pick up. I was passing small clots, but on examination they were just red stringy bits clumped together. Yesterday I went back to have more blood drawn for comparison.
Early this morning I felt what felt like a mini water breaking episode and dashed to the bathroom. There was a bigger sized clot on my pad and two fell in the toilet...each about the size of a baby's palm (I have a just turned two year old, so they were just smaller than that, but flatish). I saved them in a container, but was absolutely gushing blood for a bit after that...but not enough to alarm my midwives who told me only to worry if I'd soaked through a pad in less than an hour or developed a fever. I've actually only changed to my third pad of the day (we are talking right at 12 hours now) and the first two weren't soaked through...they were just yucky enough to want to change. The blood has lessened a great deal and is back to just on the paper when I wipe and the occasional drip or red stringy bit into the toilet when I go. I cried violently, of course...as I'd just miscarried at four weeks in February and was so hoping this one would make it. Still not completely giving up hope, I waited to hear from the midwives as to my blood test results. Got those back and my HCG had dropped to 17,000-something (she didn't give me an exact number, just that it had dropped to around that). At that point I really lost it. My husband says that it's most likely that I did miscarry, but that we should maybe get the clots tested, as I didn't see anything that looked like a baby or an actual sac in there. The chance that baby is still okay is crazy slim...what with the clots, the gush of liquid besides (amniotic fluid?), and the lower HCG. The only signs pointing to a positive outcome at this point is my progesterone tripled and I haven't passed anything that looks like a baby (which at 8.5 weeks should be visible enough to the naked eye, right?).
I'm so emotional about it all right now!! My midwives have pretty much told me it's a done deal and that I should stop the progesterone...but I'm still unsure. What if I lost a twin that was already not visible on the ultrasound or a second sac and stopping the progesterone might endanger a still okay baby? I know I'm grasping at straws here...but I can't completely give up hope till we get test results on the clots back, or I pass a baby, or I have another ultrasound...or all of the above to rule out any small chance!!