or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › August 2011 › a watched pot never boils
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

a watched pot never boils

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

Im suddenly driving myself kooky with anticipation for this baby.  It could be another month- any "tricks' on keeping yourself sane and enjoying the homestretch - my attitude needs a big adjustment ;)

post #2 of 18

I certainly am not at all stressed about him taking his sweet time, but I don't at all recommend you use my technique ;)

 

Maybe you can be smug about having a head down baby? If you have one -I hope you do! Tell your kid to tell my kid how it's done? ;)

post #3 of 18

Nald, I can't remember if this is your first or not.... But since this is my first, I'm trying to soak up as much time with my DH as I can. We had a big lazy breakfast this morning, and are walking down to the farmer's market in a bit.  Even thought we are trying to pinch our pennies, I might make him take me to the movies too!  It's not that I'm not feeling super impatient too, it's just helping a little bit. 

 

I also keep telling myself that in a month, I probably won't even remember how impatient I was these last few days! 

post #4 of 18

Oh nald, I feel your pain. I don't really have any advice, just sympathy! Come on babies!

post #5 of 18

My due date is tomorrow. I'm emotionally fragile and feel your pain! I get 100 texts a day... "No baby yet?!" "He's going to be HUGE!" 

 

*Grumble*

 

^^

 

And that's putting it nicely!

 

At least we can comiserate. 

post #6 of 18

i am not due until the 15th, but man, my mind is trying to  go there sooo badly. One thing I am trying to avoid is the numbers game...I do not want to know, how much i gained this week, how short (long) the cervix is etc...I keep catching myself thinking about it and trying to calm down :-)

 

it is funny how sensitive I have become about this. A week or so ago, one lady turns the corner at the supermarket into the isle that I am standing staring at teas and she goes (off the top off her lungs mind you) - holly s&^%! you look like you are about to pop! seeing the look on my face (not pleased) she explains her self  - her daughter can go in labor any minute and she is just so excited about it.....sigh, now I feel baaaaad for giving her the look...why do I even care to begin with??

 

Very good ideas - trying to soak up some quiet time w DH and focusing on silver linings (head down baby - c'mon Charlie show us your full body flipping skillz one more time!)

 

so, nadl1 - I, too, have no advice but lots of sympathy as to how you are feeling.

grouphug.gif all around...

post #7 of 18

It's so hard to think about anything else.  I have no advice b/c I'm in the same boat.  The ONLY thing I have to distract me is DD and even she is getting so much more independent that she doesn't have the same distractibility for me that she used to.  lol.gif

 

Got any books to read?  I just got a bunch of new music to listen to.  Other than that...whistling.gif

post #8 of 18

I'm getting slightly impatient here, too, even though I'm not due until 8/23. But I'm hot and tired of being pregnant. And I'd love to see DS2 and hold him and figure out what his name is.

 

Last time around I went almost two weeks overdue and I spent way too much time being stressed about the baby. This time, I'm consciously not stressing out (yet), and instead spend the time addressing all those needs that will be difficult to meet once DS2 arrives. I'm trying to schedule one event per day, such as hanging out with friends, doctor's visits, haircuts, work-related meetings etc. I'm going to the gym every day. I spend some quality time with DS1, such as going swimming, reading books, and building things, and with DH, such as cooking dinners together, watching movies and TV shows, and driving to the coast. And then, I'm reading a lot, mostly mysteries and birthing books, to keep myself busy, and I take naps. I know that as soon as the baby arrives I will have no control over my schedule for quite a while.

 

 

post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

I certainly am not at all stressed about him taking his sweet time, but I don't at all recommend you use my technique ;)

 

Maybe you can be smug about having a head down baby? If you have one -I hope you do! Tell your kid to tell my kid how it's done? ;)



I cold focus on hoping he goes from posterior to anterior - it was actually your patience in another post that made me think :)

post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

Nald, I can't remember if this is your first or not.... But since this is my first, I'm trying to soak up as much time with my DH as I can. We had a big lazy breakfast this morning, and are walking down to the farmer's market in a bit.  Even thought we are trying to pinch our pennies, I might make him take me to the movies too!  It's not that I'm not feeling super impatient too, it's just helping a little bit. 

 

I also keep telling myself that in a month, I probably won't even remember how impatient I was these last few days! 



oh I wish :) - I remember those last days with my husband- 4 1/2 years ago.  I also remember the luxury of daily naps - and the exhaustion at the end and looking forward to the "rest period" after I stopped work.  We were also undergoing house remodeling stuff and i remember thin king i couldnt wait to just rest- then she arrived, 3 weeks early - never did get that rest time back ;).  You are really wise to appreciate the time you have now.  I ADORE my DD but life is a lot different.  Maybe I can remind myself of that- life will be plenty different with 2 vs 1 - at least now I can go to bed, read, etc.  I think i forget how tricky it is with a newborn.  I still really want to meet him though ;)

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

 

Got any books to read?


Hah, I have several, and I am normally a bookworm, and these are interesting ones, but I am having trouble reading more than a few pages at a time because I am so busy thinking about when the baby is going to come, oh, and is that cramping? orngtongue.gif eyesroll.gif

 

post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 

All my reading material has names like "hypnobirthing" "Guide to Childbirth""Birth As a Healing Experience"- ETC!!!

post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 

head down but backwards- my kid is not a great roll model ;)

post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

 I ADORE my DD but life is a lot different.  Maybe I can remind myself of that- life will be plenty different with 2 vs 1 - at least now I can go to bed, read, etc.  I think i forget how tricky it is with a newborn.  I still really want to meet him though ;)

 

DD is almost 3.  DH and I are really used to our routine where I put her to bed and then we sit and watch TV or a movie, have sexy time, etc.  Then we just go to bed.  It's a lot like before kids! So, yeah, getting ready to lose that hour - hour and a half of couple time each night is going to be a wake up call for sure.  Trying to enjoy it while we still can!!

 

post #15 of 18

so i tried to watch a Nova documentary today.."dogs uncoded" to get my mind off of well you know everything that goes on in my body...turns  out dogs and owners have a strong oxytocin release when they spend time together - much like a new born and a new mama and there was a good long section of an adorable mama feeding and adorable newborn baby boy at the hospital and how they interact etc luxlove.gif happytears.gif

i enjoyed seeing that alot! s much for watching something related to doggies.

post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 

I remember that was THE most shocking thing to me becoming a mother- you mean they dont just go to bed and give you the time you REALLY need at the end of the day??? I will enjoy my tv, time to use the bathroom!!!!, curling up  with the newspaper and books, and a BIG bowl of ice ream with nuts and chocolate tonight- and every night i get before his arrival.  GREAT reminders :)

post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

I remember that was THE most shocking thing to me becoming a mother- you mean they dont just go to bed and give you the time you REALLY need at the end of the day??? I will enjoy my tv, time to use the bathroom!!!!, curling up  with the newspaper and books, and a BIG bowl of ice ream with nuts and chocolate tonight- and every night i get before his arrival.  GREAT reminders :)


Yup!  I read two magazines today, watched a movie just for me (DD and DH were out working in the yard) and listened to music while cleaning.  Me, me, me!  My time alone is limited!

 

post #18 of 18

I keep trying to not rush her in my mind.... Because I don't REALLY feel like it's time...Although any time could be....But at the end of the work day (esp if there is traffic etc) I get so cranky and wish contractions upon myself.  It never works....  I spend a lot of time walking our dogs, watching TV, desperately trying to clean our apartment (will never happen to satisfaction), reading one of Ina Mays books and wishing I wasn't going to work in the morning!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2011
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › August 2011 › a watched pot never boils