or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › July 2011 › The Unexpected Birth of Cooper Conoly
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Unexpected Birth of Cooper Conoly

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

I was pretty confident that I'd be able to pull off a natural hospital birth, especially considering how much I had prepared. I took a Bradley class, hired a doula, created a detailed birth plan, and made my wishes abundantly clear to my OB. Top it off with the fact that on the night of Aug. 3, I was already having some early labor contractions. To me, at least, there was still hope!


And then, on Aug. 4, I went to get Prostin gel administered to my cervix as a last ditch effort to avoid an induction scheduled for Aug. 8. 


Everything started out pretty routine. I was strapped onto the monitors in the maternity observation ward at the hospital at around 10 a.m. The nurses started a 20 minute strip and said that the whole thing would likely take less than three hours. I was pretty happy with that, thinking that I'd be home shortly after lunchtime, with plenty of time to try taking some castor oil.


Then, the OB on duty came in to check my cervix. I was a little disappointed that there was no change — I was still "a very soft but long 1 cm." Then came the news that would change everything: The monitor was showing I was already having several mild early labor contractions, and the baby's heart rate was slowing during each one. "Decels" they called them. I was kind of confused at first. I thought that it was something that happens at times during normal labor, but the OB said that it would be common during perhaps Transition and Second Stage, but decels in Early Labor meant that something wasn't right.


So, he called my OB, who then came down and gave me the news. I was going to have a baby today, likely within the next couple of hours. I was going to need a C-section if we were going to make sure the baby and I were both going to be safe.


Immediately, I burst into tears. To me, this was the worst possible outcome. Not only was I going to have to go through a C-section — the exact opposite of everything I indicated in my birth plan and against everything else I'd planned for — but my baby boy was in somewhat eminent danger, too.


It took my husband and I a while to soak it all in. We were finally going to meet our boy, but it was in the worse possible conditions. We were at the whims of doctors and nurses who considered the sterile explanations and jargon we were trying to absorb as their form of comfort.


We were both elated and heartbroken at the same time.


The only real comfort came from our doula, Lara, who rushed to the hospital to attend the birth. Although she'd never attended a C-section, I really don't know what we would have done without her emotional support. It was such a whirlwind, and I felt so out of control throughout the whole thing.


They hooked me up to an IV and wheeled me into the OR, where I was given an epidural and then prepped for delivery. Everything after that was kind of a blur until I heard our boy's first cries. I was so incredibly grateful to hear his voice, and know that things were getting at least a little easier to handle.


But it was so agonizing to see him moved to the warming table, just a matter of feet away, and not being able to hold him, nuzzle him, or have his skin against mine. It wasn't until he was already swaddled and cleaned off that he was placed on my chest with the help of my husband and Lara.


Hot tears streamed down my face as I looked at my boy. He was so beautiful and amazing. I fell in love with him instantly.


It took what felt like forever for them to suture me up and dress my wound. It was an eternity, or at least it seemed that way because I desperately wanted to hold my baby.


Soon enough I was moved to a gurney, and my boy, Cooper, was handed to me. I stripped off the top of the gown and placed him on my chest. It was like a powerful drug, his smooth skin against mine. We then moved to post-op observation, where our journey began. We started breastfeeding as soon as we could, and that's when they told me his stats: 10 pounds, 3 ounces, 20.5 inches long with at 15-inch head. When the OB came in to follow up, she told me that not only was his distress likely caused by his size, but he also had his cord wrapped around his neck twice and there was some meconium staining in the amniotic fluid. 


In any case, while I'm still mourning the birth I didn't get to experience, I'm glad I have my amazing son in my arms.


First feed.jpg


First Family Portrait.jpg





post #2 of 7

Sounds like ya had to do what ya had to do. Sorry it didn't go as planned but thank goodness your boy arrived safe & sound and you are both doing well. You gotta get baby glasses like yours & your partner's!! Your family is so cute!! :) thumbsup.gif

post #3 of 7

Congratulations! Your boy is soooo big! Mine is 4 weeks old today and seems smaller than yours. Unfortunately I have to say that birth is very seldom exactly what we expect. I would have been sad about a c-section, too but then again: we have to do what we have to do in order to keep out little ones safe.

post #4 of 7

Congrats! He looks so sweet!

post #5 of 7

I'm sorry you didn't get the birth you wanted, I know how hard that is.  He's beautiful!  Enjoy!

post #6 of 7

Congratulations on your big handsome boy. The journey may have been different than what you planned but the final destination is far more important.namaste.gif

post #7 of 7

I'm tearing up for you, mama!  Congratulations on your beautiful son.  That picture of you nursing him is priceless -- you are just beaming and so is your DH.  Welcome, Cooper!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: July 2011
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › July 2011 › The Unexpected Birth of Cooper Conoly