or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Country Living / Off the Grid › Would you move if you knew the new neighbors were AWFUL?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Would you move if you knew the new neighbors were AWFUL?

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 

We bought a beautiful piece of land a year ago in an acreage subdivision. We have a gorgeous view which is partly the reason we bought it but it is on a slope so there is very limited space to build on the top to take advantage of the view. 

 

Our soon-to-be neighbors (one couple) are incensed that we are building in that location as it directly blocks their view out the front (their back view is unobstructed but less interesting). We are probably building 5-600 ft away from these neighbors but the view is on the horizon so it is blocked by our home.  They haven't lived in their house yet but will be moving in soon. 

 

So far they have: secretly recorded a conversation between themselves and us (unsure as to purpose), threatened lawyers etc (no basis),stated we "had better be careful if we build there because we will have to live in the neighborhood etc.

 

We really value good neighbors. We had great neighbors for 10 years and then they moved and it got us thinking about moving too. Only now we seem to have the neighbors from hell. I keep wondering how irrational they will get, what they will do to make us miserable if we live there etc. 

 

I am hopeful the other neighbors (who have a ton of kids close to ours in age) will be friendlier but they belong to the same religion as psycho neighbors and I wonder if they would be swayed by her opinion. Except our friend out there tell us she has been causing problems with all the neighbors already.

 

We love this land but want to raise our children in a peaceful environment. What would you do?


Edited by Dandelionkid - 4/13/12 at 1:15pm
post #2 of 27

I guess you can't blame them for being mad about loosing THEIR view in exchange for the view of the back of your house.  They "might" not be able to do anything legally but pissed off neighbors sure could make your life miserable.  Good luck. 

post #3 of 27

Difficult neighbors can make for a difficult life.  I'm not sure how far they would go to block your building, or if they even would have a leg to stand on.  Did you say if you have a good attorney?  

 

I don't know if this is a "country living" question, per se.  I will say that where I live, folks are incredibly protective of their rights to do what they will on their property, within the bounds of law/codes, etc.  Barns have to have certain set backs, manure needs to be dealt with in a specific way, certain acreage for livestock.  When you have your land, you use it for your purposes.

 

Did these folks not understand that your property would eventually be built on when they purchased theirs?  That seems more like their issue than yours.

post #4 of 27

so.... they own a lot in a subdivision and are angry because you are building a house on a lot in a subdivision, for which building homes is intended?  headscratch.gif

 

that's beyond weird.  and the recording of conversation is... wow.  just wow. 

and if they had a problem with somebody building there, screw em, they should have bought your lot to keep it from happening. 

they don't even live there and they're starting trouble?  that sounds awful.  i would personally move in and just ignore/avoid and make it very clear that if they approach you or try to record you in any way you will take legal action.  set boundaries early.  i wouldn't let crazies keep me from living where i intended though.  maybe a fence will help??  

post #5 of 27
Hmm I might offer to sell them the land for more than it's worth. Then they can control what happens with it & you make out financially and can move somewhere else.

But really, you never know what neighbors will be like until you're living there.... you could move somewhere else and have even more unexpected neighbor issues. redface.gif
post #6 of 27

My sister-in-law has a neighbor like you've described, and the fight is over *1 foot* of land.  He makes things miserable for them, a decade or more after they built the house.  Luckily it is a vacation home, not their permanent residence.  I seriously would consider selling before investing in a house.  Beautiful land can be found in many places and so can good neighbors.

post #7 of 27

A very similar thing did happen here.  The back neighbors took the front neighbors to court.  They did loose their case but it cost them both a lot in fees.  Also, Alaska is the land of do what you want on your own property with very little to no permits ect. required.  So it might be different in your area. 

post #8 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

so.... they own a lot in a subdivision and are angry because you are building a house on a lot in a subdivision, for which building homes is intended?  headscratch.gif

 

that's beyond weird.  and the recording of conversation is... wow.  just wow. 

and if they had a problem with somebody building there, screw em, they should have bought your lot to keep it from happening. 

they don't even live there and they're starting trouble?  that sounds awful.  i would personally move in and just ignore/avoid and make it very clear that if they approach you or try to record you in any way you will take legal action.  set boundaries early.  i wouldn't let crazies keep me from living where i intended though.  maybe a fence will help??  


This is our perspective. Beautiful land for the price we got this for is hard to find around here. We are planning to put up better boundaries. I asked her three times in the course of the crazy conversation why she didn't buy it first- lied to my first question and I called her on the lie, then she had no answer the next couple times. I know the answer- her land was 35,000 cheaper than ours. 

 

post #9 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post

I guess you can't blame them for being mad about loosing THEIR view in exchange for the view of the back of your house.  They "might" not be able to do anything legally but pissed off neighbors sure could make your life miserable.  Good luck. 



Thanks- I don't blame them for being mad just for taking out their anger on us. I would be disappointed too but would have expected that someone would build up on the slope rather than the flood plain below. We have pretty good county rules here- called the county and they said the neighbors have no right to tell us where to build on our own land.

post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelionkid View Post





Thanks- I don't blame them for being mad just for taking out their anger on us. I would be disappointed too but would have expected that someone would build up on the slope rather than the flood plain below. We have pretty good county rules here- called the county and they said the neighbors have no right to tell us where to build on our own land.


tell them exactly that, that you called the county and here's what they said. then add that you understand their disappointment, but hope they can see how you can't be expected to build in a flood plain! 

 

it sounds like what you have going on is a classic "bullying" situation. 

 

post #11 of 27

Makes me wonder what is gonna happen when you start planting trees.  LOL

Sounds like your 'neighbor' needs something else to keep her busy.

post #12 of 27

!!  and if you were getting a bank loan to build the house, if the area you wanted was in a flood plain, the bank would most likely not approve it and depending on where you live and whether you have city septic/sewer, the area would have to pass a percolation test to get permits.  you'd probably not have a choice at all!

post #13 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

Makes me wonder what is gonna happen when you start planting trees.  LOL

Sounds like your 'neighbor' needs something else to keep her busy.



I know!  We were willing to keep the trees out of their "view" line but with the craziness we have pretty much decided that we will be planting the trees wherever it suits us. I would not be surprised if the trees mysteriously died. Or maybe I am being paranoid.

post #14 of 27
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post




tell them exactly that, that you called the county and here's what they said. then add that you understand their disappointment, but hope they can see how you can't be expected to build in a flood plain! 

 

it sounds like what you have going on is a classic "bullying" situation. 

 


 

That's what people are telling me- I was assertive throughout crazy conversation and she ended it rather pleasantly. Isn't that what bullies do when you don't back down to them? She tried crying about it all in the first meeting we had (big long story about how she bought the land for that view because of Grandpa so-and-so) and then she was still all worked up when we offered to move it over a few feet so she could see that particular view. What they want is the whole view and nothing but the whole view and we have been far to nice to them so far (when we thought they were rational type people). We are pretty much done with them unless they want to apologize and change their method of communication.

 

post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post

I guess you can't blame them for being mad about loosing THEIR view in exchange for the view of the back of your house.

 

I can. It's a subdivision, someone was going to eventually build a home on the land which is what is happening now. The view isn't "theirs," they just got to enjoy it for awhile until the land was sold to someone who is going to build on it.

post #16 of 27

How big are these parcels of land anyway? I'd think you only ensure your view if you get a larger piece of land, you know own the land you don't want people building on...

post #17 of 27

I'd ignore them & not take any of their opinions or wants into question.

 

they could have paid that extra $35,000 for the view they wanted.  

 

They haven't moved in yet & are causing issues with all the neighbors then I wouldn't worry about them being able to get the other neighbors against you or anything.

post #18 of 27

next time they bring it up, remind them that they can always move. and then stick to that line, only.

post #19 of 27

They should have ponied up the 35k for the view they wanted. I would build the house(not moving it like you offered) and plant plenty of trees. Some tall bamboo,but I have found gigaticus mithcantus is really good until the trees grow in.

 

You can always sell the home later.Just be sure on the property lines and put in a fence asap.You neighbors are already NsFH.Right now they are just seeing what they can get away with.

post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelionkid View Post





I know!  We were willing to keep the trees out of their "view" line but with the craziness we have pretty much decided that we will be planting the trees wherever it suits us. I would not be surprised if the trees mysteriously died. Or maybe I am being paranoid.



If you do move there and fear ahead of time that they may retaliate.... make sure to put up game cams all around... they are not too pricey... easily hidden and can garner your video and/or photo proof.

 

Oh and build the biggest/highest/thickest/strongest perimeter fence ASAP that you legally can. And do NOT keep any animals right next to their section of the fence for them to torment or toss posioned meat over to.

 

If you plan to live there assume the worst and prepare for it AHEAD of time... not when it is too late. Then hope for the best. If you can't handle living with that mindset then I would look to move elsewhere.

 

 

Good luck!!!

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Country Living / Off the Grid
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Country Living / Off the Grid › Would you move if you knew the new neighbors were AWFUL?