I'm feeling discouraged. I'm 38.5 weeks and planning an HBAC. It seems like everything is going wrong, and I need reassurance.
My most recent hemoglobin was 9.8... pretty low. Since then, I have been taking slow Fe, cutting back on dairy, upping vit. C, doing all the "right" things. I had it re-drawn a couple days ago, and am still waiting to hear the results. I hope to know today if my numbers have improved.
I also just found out that I'm GBS+. I live in a state where getting IV antibiotics at home is not an option. I'm reading up on other options like Hibiclens, garlic, etc.
I declined my shadow care OB's GTT, and instead purchased a monitor around 26 weeks to monitor my sugars at home. At first, they were all over the place... fastings always well into the 90's, 2-hours in the 140's and sometimes higher... yikes. With strict dietary changes, I've been mostly able to keep them in a "good" range, with fastings in the 80's (with an occasional low 90's after a stressful, sleep-deprived night), and most 2-hours well below 120, with an occasional spiky one in the 130's. I had no typical GD risks factors except that I'm over 25 (I'm 30). I admit that I have not told my OB about the sugars.
If it was just one of these things I don't think I would feel so concerned. I know my risk of complications from any of these factors individually (the VBAC, the anemia, the GBS, the slightly "off" sugars) is low. But, now that I have 4 risk factors I'm feeling unsettled.
I have been receiving full shadow care. My normally homebirth-friendly OB does not back up HBACs, so he does not know that I have been planning one. If I had to be in a hospital, I would feel about as comfortable as a homebirth-hopeful mom could be with this OB/midwife group and the hospital they practice in. I would have to deal with their protocols for CFM for VBAC's, but I could also bring my birth tub for a water birth, go to 42 weeks without pressure to induce, eat freely during labor, etc. But, of course I really want to have a homebirth. Not to mention, it's been a huge financial sacrifice for DH and I to pay out of pocket for our homebirth care. I wanted a homebirth because I felt it would be safest for me and my baby. Now I wonder if it still is the safest option?
Any words of advice?