or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › August 2011 › Possible induction on Saturday..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Possible induction on Saturday..

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 

I went to the doctor today and had an ultrasound and NST. There were lots of fluids left. My baby does look pretty big, but I don't think that's a factor. The non-stress test was fine. I even had a couple contractions during it that were fun to watch. Then I had an apt with my midwife. She basically set a date for induction then called to schedule and she was like arguing with them on the phone that it couldn't be past next Wednesday and then this Saturday was the only other option? I don't get how Sunday-Wednesday weren't available? It doesn't make sense to me. She said were gonna try something (it starts with a c ugh I can't remember) for 12 hours to ripen the cervix more. I guess sometimes it puts you into labor? If that doesn't work we'll use pitocin. I've been taking EPO for almost 4 weeks. I've been drinking RRL tea for months.  I've obviously been trying everything I can on my own to get things rolling (nipple stimulation, walking, squats, orgasms, cumin and cinnamon tea). I guess I could try and get an acupressure appt. Should I try castor oil? or the cohoshes? My mom is an herbalist with training so I wouldn't  be winging it on my own or anything. I just didn't think I was desperate enough before. I've heard they have nasty side effects, but wouldn't that be better than pitocin? I seriously almost started crying when she said Saturday. It's so soon. I mean obviously I would love to have my baby by then (a week ago would have been nice) but I would really love for my body to do this on it's own. I'm 2 cm dilated 100 percent effaced and my midwife stripped my membranes today. I don't get why my little girl is being so stubborn! 

post #2 of 33

Hi Riley, I'm a first timer too, so I don't have any real life experience with this, but I wanted to send you big hugs for your stress! Also, remember that it's YOUR body and YOUR baby and you get to decide what to do, regardless of their scheduling. It sounds like you and baby are perfectly healthy. And 42 weeks is not the end-all-be-all of pregnancy either. 38-42 weeks is the average pregnancy, and the average pregnancy for a first time mom is 41w 1d (from here).


The only reason I bring this up is that you sound hesitant to have an induction so soon, so you should know that you do have a choice. But, if you decide that it's the right thing for you and baby, you are TOTALLY supported here, it is your choice.

 

Hopefully some of the BTDT mamas have some words of wisdom to share too...

post #3 of 33

Ok, a few things stand out to me.  I'm an RN and worked in labor and delivery for a while, so I do have some experience with all this.

 

First, cat is right and you don't have to consent if you are truly uncomfortable starting an induction Sat.  It may be a scheduling issue as to why Mon-Wed wasn't offered to you.  The L&D unit can only schedule so many inductions for any given day.  That being said, any woman who is scheduled for Monday, let's say, could give birth between now and then, and suddenly they have a spot available.  So, if Saturday really doesn't sit well with you, you could do kind of a "stand by" thing, knowing they may or may not be able to get you in on your preferred day.

 

Second, the cervical ripening drug is either cytotex or cervidil.  Cervidil is a much safer drug for a few reasons, but it is more expensive, so some Drs use cytotec anyway.  If it's at all possible, I'd ask for cervidil, and I may even refuse cytotec all together.  That being said, if you are 2cm and 100% effaced, you are kind of beyond needing a cervical ripening drug.  The whole point of a cervical ripener is to get you to 2 or 3 cm and soft.  Well, if you are completely effaced, there is nothing to soften!  So I would think going straight to pit would be the most appropriate thing for you anyway.

 

Personally, I think I would try the cohoshes, esp since you have your mom's knowledge at hand.

 

These are such hard decisions to make hug2.gif Given the state of your cervix, and you are young and have been taking good care of yourself, you have excellent chances of having a very smooth induction.  But if it really doens't feel right to you, go with that and you can easily stall your care provider for a few extra days.

post #4 of 33
Thread Starter 


Thanks for the input guys. Cervidil is what my midwife said, but you're right it doesn't quite make sense. If it is just a scheduling issue I guess I'll just call them on Friday and see if there is any later openings. I don't have a problem with Saturday, obviously if I weren't being induced I wouldn't get to choose when she comes. I'm just trying to buy myself some time. If they don't have anything we'll probably try something here at home Friday night. I just haven't decided what yet. 

 

Quote: 
Originally Posted by copper.kettle 

 

These are such hard decisions to make hug2.gif Given the state of your cervix, and you are young and have been taking good care of yourself, you have excellent chances of having a very smooth induction.  But if it really doens't feel right to you, go with that and you can easily stall your care provider for a few extra days.


It is hard. I also really didn't look into it much until the last couple days so I'm overwhelmed. I just figured I'd go into labor on my own by now. :/ 

 

post #5 of 33
Riley--

I don't remember how far along you are or when you will meet the "42 week" deadline. My DD was born at 41w5d which was a Wednesday. On Monday prior to her birth I was only dilated at most 1cm, but my cervix was super soft. My MW did a partial membrane sweep ( she had a hard time reaching my cervix). The next day I felt totally normal--no labor signs. Then around 1-ish I lost a good bit of my mucous plug--still no other signs. Then around 9-ish PM. I had some bloody show. About 45min later I started having very clear labor contractions and she was born the next morning.

My point being that labor can start at any moment regardless of your dilation or effacement. In terms of induction, my plan was to start a castor oil and cohosh induction on wednesday morning, but did not need to. If I had made it to 42 weeks then I would have gone and had a NST done. My MW has a Dr. that she likes to work with because he will monitor the baby and then if everything looks good will often say to see what happens over the next few days. This could be an option for you too. 'They' cannot make you get an induction if you don't want it. I say use your own judgement to determine what is best for you and your baby. If an induction on Saturday doesn't feel right, then I would not do it. You know yourself and your baby best. You will be supported here whatever your decision is.

Also, DS was just born at 41w 2d. I, apparently, like to cook my babies on the longer side, but they come out plump and healthy smile.gif
post #6 of 33

Oh hon.  I don't have a lot of advice or experience, but I can't read and not reply with hugs.  hug2.gif

post #7 of 33
Thread Starter 

 

 

Earth-mama- I'll only be 41w 2d on Saturday. I know they can't make me get an induction, but if that's the only time I can do it and still have one of my midwives deliver I guess that's what I'll do. I don't need the extra stress of having a stranger deliver her. (If I wait till 42 weeks they wouldn't be able too. The hospital has so many rules I never knew about)

 

Maybe I'm over-reacting. I guess an induction wouldn't be the end of the world, just a set back. Maybe I'll get lucky and go into labor before Saturday! Who knows. 

 

Thanks Carrie. 

 

post #8 of 33

I don't think you're over-reacting at all.  Inductions are the first step in a possible snow ball effect that we're all terrified of when we plan a natural, intervention free birth.  You have every right to want to fight this, and I think you're super smart for wanting to push it off -- and hopefully never have to go through it!!

 

That said, do you have a doula or is your mom acting as your doula?  I think if you do end up going in and having the pitocin, having someone there to really help you focus and get thru the labor will be priceless.  You do what you need to do to get the birth you want, even if your body doesn't go into labor by itself before the induction, you know?  

post #9 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Oh hon.  I don't have a lot of advice or experience, but I can't read and not reply with hugs.  hug2.gif


nak... yeahthat.gif

 

hug2.gif

 

post #10 of 33
Thread Starter 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I don't think you're over-reacting at all.  Inductions are the first step in a possible snow ball effect that we're all terrified of when we plan a natural, intervention free birth.  You have every right to want to fight this, and I think you're super smart for wanting to push it off -- and hopefully never have to go through it!!

 

That said, do you have a doula or is your mom acting as your doula?  I think if you do end up going in and having the pitocin, having someone there to really help you focus and get thru the labor will be priceless.  You do what you need to do to get the birth you want, even if your body doesn't go into labor by itself before the induction, you know?  



Yeah. I really wanted to do this naturally. Just the thought of having an IV in my arm the entire time makes me wanna scream. :( I won't even get to be in the water at all! They have such nice big whirl pool tubs there.. Plus if I get induced I won't get to labor at home at all. I just had this planned out a certain way in my head and it's hard to cope with it all (possibly) changing. I get what you mean though, If it's gonna happen I'll make the best of it. My mom is going to be my doula. She has a whole "box of tricks" to try to make me more comfortable. 

post #11 of 33

I hope things start on their own before Saturday so you don't have to deal with an induction at all!  hug.gif

post #12 of 33

Sending labor vibes!! I hope you can avoid the induction, there is still time before Saturday! And if you do choose the induction I hope it goes smoothly, I am sure with the support of your Mom you have a wonderful chance of it being very good. I understand it is hard to let go of what you thought it would be, big hugs for you Mama!

post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

Also, remember that it's YOUR body and YOUR baby and you get to decide what to do, regardless of their scheduling.

 

If you're consenting to an induction simply because of a ticking clock, rather than a real medical need, then I think you might have a harder time being happy with it.  It very well could turn out just fine.  I don't want to scare you at all...  It really could be fine.  But 41w2d is, quite frankly, early for a first pregnancy.  I know very few IRL moms whose first babies came of their own accord before that.
 

If your mom has experience with herbals, I'd try the big "herbal" guns.  Castor oil, the cohoshes, etc.  And really, get in to an acupuncturist if you can.  Accupressure is nice, but the needles, the really gung ho, aren't bad at all (some of them are really quite pleasant).

 

No matter what kind of birth you have, everyone here supports you 100%.  If you feel that the induction is the right thing to do, then we all ABSOLUTELY support that decision for you.  I'm so sorry that things aren't sticking to the plan!!  Big hugs to you mama!!

 

post #14 of 33

Hugs Riley, a lot can happen between now and Saturday and as I just learned with this baby, do not be afraid to speak up for yourself and what is right for you and your baby. You're in my thoughts that baby girl comes on her own and you are able to have the birth you have imagined.

post #15 of 33

I also don't have any good advice but I wanted to offer you hugs as well! hug2.gif

 

I will be sending labor vibes your way and I hope things start for you naturally very soon!

post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post



 

If you're consenting to an induction simply because of a ticking clock, rather than a real medical need, then I think you might have a harder time being happy with it.  It very well could turn out just fine.  I don't want to scare you at all...  It really could be fine.  But 41w2d is, quite frankly, early for a first pregnancy.  I know very few IRL moms whose first babies came of their own accord before that.
 

If your mom has experience with herbals, I'd try the big "herbal" guns.  Castor oil, the cohoshes, etc.  And really, get in to an acupuncturist if you can.  Accupressure is nice, but the needles, the really gung ho, aren't bad at all (some of them are really quite pleasant).

 

No matter what kind of birth you have, everyone here supports you 100%.  If you feel that the induction is the right thing to do, then we all ABSOLUTELY support that decision for you.  I'm so sorry that things aren't sticking to the plan!!  Big hugs to you mama!!

 

 

All of this! You're a wonderful mama, and so strong. You'll have your little girl soon, one way or the other. If your mom can help direct you on the herbs I would definitely try them. hug2.gif
 

 

post #17 of 33
Thread Starter 

Were definitely gonna try something Friday night. I'm reading up to try and decide which one I wanna try. (cohosh or castor oil) I think I'm gonna call around tomorrow about getting an acupuncture appt. The girl who is taking my birth photographs just had a baby and she had it done. I'm gonna see where/how much it was. Thanks for all the good vibes. Hoping they work! fingersx.gif

post #18 of 33

RileyAnn ~ You are a great candidate for having success with a castor oil shake (2cm and at least 50% effaced). If you decide to do it, you need to follow the recipe exactly because there's a reason why it works. It's 2 cups ice cream, 2oz of castor oil and 1 egg. Blend with enough milk to thin and drink it all within 30 minutes. What makes it work is the egg binds the castor oil with the fat in the ice cream and allows it to sit in your stomach and work with your body's own hormones. Without the egg, it will go right through you and cause horrible abdominal cramping. You will typically have some contractions begin within a couple hours. If you have nothing after 3 hours or if they start but peter out, you can do another shake. Excited to hear how your birth goes!

post #19 of 33
Thread Starter 

I called to get an acupuncture apt and they couldn't get me in until Monday. I'll have a baby by then! I got really disappointed and on a whim decided to try castor oil... I couldn't do the milk shake/egg that just sounded so horrible. So I took a big shot, chugged a glass of sprite and ate some saltines. That was so incredibly nasty. I'm kind of proud of myself for not throwing up. I still don't have any side effects, but I really hope something happens, because I'm not looking forward to doing that again in 3 hours.

post #20 of 33

How many ounces is a "big shot"? Hopefully something will begin soon; otherwise for the 2nd one, I'd do the shake! Actually it tastes just like a milkshake :0)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2011
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › August 2011 › Possible induction on Saturday..