Well I finished my first one and it turned out pretty decent. I used the directions here and the pattern from here that I blew up so it was even bigger.
I added a layer of wool to the core for extra waterproofing. It turned out a little skinnier and taller then I wanted but I dumped a bunch of water on it and the wool and fleece together seem to work really well. I was hoping to not have to buy PUL because I need them to be as cheap as possible. I will need to buy sew on snaps though, the kind I already had don't work through so many layers. Oh well.
I'm really excited. Last time I only had a couple days that were really super heavy, but I used the disposables after that just to use them up and I was miserable. This time I hope to not need anything but cloth. I am not worried about extra work, I'll have three in diapers, and we do family cloth anyway so it's no extra effort to toss the pads in the pail.
In fact, we don't even have a trash can in our bathroom, so I think if anything having to set up a trash can and then take it out would be more of a bother.
I'm exclusively hand sewing, so it'll take me awhile to get a stash, but I don't mind, it gives my hands something to do while I hang out with the kids.