or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › Homeschooling in a country where it's illegal - what to tell neighbors?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Homeschooling in a country where it's illegal - what to tell neighbors? - Page 2

post #21 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

May I ask you a question...and I guess some other posters too. If you despise the natives so much, why do you live in these countries? Why not move back to US?

 

Some opinions state here reminds me of 19th century white anthropologists opinion about Africa.     There is a positive side to this gossipy, in your face and your business culture. When was young, I felt totally safe playing in the apartment complex playground by myself. So did my mom. Why? Because of all the gossiping babushkas on the benches. They knew everyone. There was no chance of some creep approaching me or my friends or luring us away.  I had far more free range childhood because of that.  Yes, everyone knew everything about each other,  and apartment walls were thin but if I was short on sugar or flour, I could just go to my neighbor. It is simply not done in US. So on and so forth.  People do what they can to survive and different cultural behaviors work in different societies for a reason.



I don't despise "the natives". Like I said in the previous post, I am a citizen of this country. I can't "move back to the US", because I am not from the US. My dad was from the US, but he died when I was very young. I am multicultural and don't think I belong in the US any more than I belong here - I only ever lived there for two years, very long ago. Every country has its downsides, and here gossiping neighbors who are more concerned with others' lives than their own is one. I couldn't despise anybody because of their culture or heritage, but as a multicultural person with many international moves under my belt, most of them during childhood, I don't have the luxury of having a culture of my own. 

 

It is nice that gossipy neighbors made you feel safe, and I can see that being true. As for me, I feel comfortable taking care of my own family's safety and I dislike the gossiping neighbors. To clarify, I dislike gossip anywhere in the world, not just here. With the sentence "Some opinions state here reminds me of 19th century white anthropologists opinion about Africa." you are basically accusing me of racism? I dislike gossiping neighbors because they make my family a target of racism, not because I am racist myself. 

post #22 of 29
Thread Starter 

And, it is easy to subscribe to the opinion that one must respect and accept local culture where you live, if you are a guest somewhere - unless it is hard to determine whether or not you are a guest. If you are a "guest" anywhere in the world, because you are multicultural and never quite belong anywhere at all, does that mean you should never stand up for your rights or do things that make "locals" feel uncomfortable? 

 

Not related to this thread, I am quite tired of being asked where I come from wherever in the world I go, or being complimented on my "excellent command of the language" while speaking a language that is native to me. 

post #23 of 29

Just hopping onto the point about gossipy culture - it is well taken. It is an art to learn to humour the 'baboushkas' as you no doubt lovingly call them, while keeping distant from the gossip itself. 

 

Back to the original question, my immediate thought was to respond that they are attending online school.  Very simple.  And accurate, whether or not you join an umbrella - a large number of homeschoolers use a good amount of online curricular material.  

 

I'd be surprised if further questions were asked, unless by someone also interested in trying that option. 

post #24 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumi View Post

Just hopping onto the point about gossipy culture - it is well taken. It is an art to learn to humour the 'baboushkas' as you no doubt lovingly call them, while keeping distant from the gossip itself. 

 

Back to the original question, my immediate thought was to respond that they are attending online school.  Very simple.  And accurate, whether or not you join an umbrella - a large number of homeschoolers use a good amount of online curricular material.  

 

I'd be surprised if further questions were asked, unless by someone also interested in trying that option. 

 

I am prepared for a lot of very judgmental questions, like we all get - What about socialization, is that even legal, what is an online school, etc. But, I decided to make the jump and just talk about it. I'll come back to update how that goes :). 
 

 

post #25 of 29
I just read the rest of the thread since my last post and wanted to come back to send you a hug! I'm sorry you are feeling misunderstood.
I personally wish you the best of luck in your hs endeavor. It must be tough to find ways to talk/write about this without offending anyone but you sound well practiced at it wink1.gif
post #26 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmama2 View Post

I just read the rest of the thread since my last post and wanted to come back to send you a hug! I'm sorry you are feeling misunderstood.
I personally wish you the best of luck in your hs endeavor. It must be tough to find ways to talk/write about this without offending anyone but you sound well practiced at it wink1.gif


Thanks smile.gif

 

Getting actual advice is hard. I was talking to a friend about this today, and her answer was, "If I were you, I would put my kids in public school". Then I asked why, and she said "I could never spend 24/7 with my kids". headscratch.gif

post #27 of 29
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

May I ask you a question...and I guess some other posters too. If you despise the natives so much, why do you live in these countries? Why not move back to US?

 

 don't know if I am one of the people you are questioning, but I certainly don't "despise the natives"... 3 of the 4 members of our family are native.  I just don't like (and am not culturally used to) the feeling of being watched.  I think this is typical behaviour in small apartment buildings with retired old ladies nearly everywhere! 

post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post



 

I am prepared for a lot of very judgmental questions, like we all get - What about socialization, is that even legal, what is an online school, etc. But, I decided to make the jump and just talk about it. I'll come back to update how that goes :). 
 

 

Great! Can't wait to hear more - hope it's all positive from here!

:)

 

 

 

post #29 of 29

I would not discuss with anyone who didn't ask.  If someone did ask I would say my kids are enrolled in an accredited international correspondence school.  The school sends me instructions, I cover the lessons, they do the work, it gets submitted and graded.  I would also say that I have inquired and it is legal.  Then end the discussion.

 

IMO there is nothing wrong with embellishing if it keeps neighbors from reporting you.  You would be protecting yourself and your kids.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Learning at Home and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › Homeschooling in a country where it's illegal - what to tell neighbors?