or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › December 2011 › Can we have a complaining thread too?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can we have a complaining thread too? - Page 5

post #81 of 241

My complaint is, I have always been clumsy, but lately I am even worse.

I walked into our table this morning, into the corner right in my leg. OUCH!!!!!!!!!

 

I hope everyone who felt sick, is feeling better now!!!!

post #82 of 241

I feel like I made a huge mistake in the midwifery practice I chose.  Every midwife I have seen so far has been annoying.  I know that sounds really juvenile of me, but I have been a doula for years and have worked for midwives before, so I know what good midwifery care looks like and the experience I'm getting is OB care from a midwife. I am soooooo frustrated, I don't know if I want to switch providers or if I should just suck it up and believe that I will have a good birth experience.

 

Thats my complaint for the day, oh and my skin itches everywhere.

post #83 of 241

My complaint is that I walk around like a 90 year old all day.  Getting up from the couch is an Olympic event for me.  Hmph. 

 

I think I'm grumpy too. hopmad.gif

post #84 of 241
Even though I really like my OB and I love the fact that he makes a priority of being there when you deliver (instead of leaving you to the on-call doc) ... I wish he was occasionally in his office when I had an appointment! He's always in delivery - argh.
post #85 of 241



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelroo View Post

I feel like I made a huge mistake in the midwifery practice I chose.  Every midwife I have seen so far has been annoying.  I know that sounds really juvenile of me, but I have been a doula for years and have worked for midwives before, so I know what good midwifery care looks like and the experience I'm getting is OB care from a midwife. I am soooooo frustrated, I don't know if I want to switch providers or if I should just suck it up and believe that I will have a good birth experience.

 

Thats my complaint for the day, oh and my skin itches everywhere.


 
It's definetely not too late to switch, I did and didn't look back, with my first when I was about 29 weeks. Best decision ever.

 

post #86 of 241
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendizbaby View Post

Getting up from the couch is an Olympic event for me.  Hmph. 

 

I think I'm grumpy too. hopmad.gif



Lol...me too.  Getting out of bed is even worse.  I was thinking I need some of those straps or something to pull up on. 

 

post #87 of 241

I roll onto hands and knees to get out of bed... it's the only way unless a kid is crying... and that hurts.

post #88 of 241

My hubby gets me out of bed when he is home haha...otherwise it truly is an olympic event!

 

Rachelroo- if its not for you than switch! That said....I had one midwife that just annoyed the crap out of me when I was pregnant with DS2 (she's kinda abrupt/pushy) and then she turned out being PERFECT for me during labor/birth - she had the firmness that I needed to get me up and changing position and deliver naturally (she all but FORCED me to try and push even though I was crying and saying I coudn't and needed an epidural lol...I am so thankful for her in the end...I NEVER would have guessed that she would be so awesome though because she really rubbed me wrong before hand!)

 

 

Euromama- I am always clumsy too...lol...but yeah, its bad...I have random bruises everywhere lol.

 

So I had my first water therapy yesterday and it felt good actually...it was so awesome to be "working out" without pain....my complaint? I'm in pain today!!! OMG!!! I totally must have overdone it... could hardly move this morning.

 

Oh and I have to work tomorrow...thats my other complaint - though I guess it is not so pregnancy related - other than making me lose my Saturday nap haha.

post #89 of 241

For the getting up, I've started lying back down if I feel stiff or sore and making myself do it at least 2-3 more times just to strengthen those muscles.  After about 2 weeks, I noticed a distinct improvement.  I won't give in to the roll to the side approach, I make myself do a sit-up sort of  thing.  I'm not sure if that makes me a masochist, or it just means I have a vested interest in keeping my range of motion for as long as possible. 

 

My complaint of the day though is about a horrible headache.  Ugh- I was completely incapacitated for most of the day- I just lay on the couch being pretty useless.  It's partially allergy/sinus related and partially related to my complete inability to tolerate heat these days.  

post #90 of 241

My hips and butt and lower back feel so stiff!! And I feel like I have pinched nerves in my butt. Standing and walking hurts! I do it anyway, because, well, you have to! But owie! Sitting on a yoga ball seems to be helping some though...

 

InsideVoice - be careful when you sit up from laying on your back (that is what you're doing, right? that was what it sounded like to me) so that you don't pull or injure any pelvic muscles. I went to sit up from laying on my back at my last midwife visit, and she strongly suggested that I roll to my side and then sit up, for that reason.

post #91 of 241

For me, I strain the pelvis out of alignment when I roll and sit.  It makes the SPD worse (I already have a very large separation) so switching to abdominal muscles works better for now at least. As I get bigger and less maneuverable I suspect we'll have to revisit the approach.  Of course, I sleep between two little boys so rolling doesn't work anyway...  they would complain or worse!  wake up.   

post #92 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremamaheather View Post

My hips and butt and lower back feel so stiff!! And I feel like I have pinched nerves in my butt. Standing and walking hurts! I do it anyway, because, well, you have to! But owie! Sitting on a yoga ball seems to be helping some though...

 

InsideVoice - be careful when you sit up from laying on your back (that is what you're doing, right? that was what it sounded like to me) so that you don't pull or injure any pelvic muscles. I went to sit up from laying on my back at my last midwife visit, and she strongly suggested that I roll to my side and then sit up, for that reason.



Interesting...my PT has not reccomended any particular way to sit up, but, she HAS reccomended strengthening all core and leg muscles - and I have to do a bunch of mini sit ups (like super teeny crunches) 3 times a day.... also rolling on my side hurts worse to me than sitting straight up - such on ackward movement...maybe I'm just wierd though lol.

 

post #93 of 241

I put a hand on my stomach to support it while I turn, otherwise it tries to go faster than me! A little support makes it not hurt.

post #94 of 241
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post

Interesting...my PT has not reccomended any particular way to sit up, but, she HAS reccomended strengthening all core and leg muscles - and I have to do a bunch of mini sit ups (like super teeny crunches) 3 times a day.... also rolling on my side hurts worse to me than sitting straight up - such on ackward movement...maybe I'm just wierd though lol.


Sounds like we are all getting different advice!  My PT told me that any sort of sit ups are really hard on the pelvic floor so she suggests strengthening the core by doing a reverse sort of sit up where you lay on your back and extend your legs outward and then back.  I found it really helpful and not so hard on my back either. 
 

 

post #95 of 241

My back and hips hurt too. I do a lot of squat style stretching and it helps a lot.  I look ridiculous, but it feels so good. I usually hold onto the kitchen counter or a chair and squat as low and deep and widely as I can.  A couple of those a few times a day keep things feeling looser and more comfortable.

 

 

 

My big complaint is that I am feeling very lonely this pregnancy.  Being 38, most of my friends are done having babies and those that are not are suffering from infertility.  I know a handful of women who simply cannot be around me right now -- it is too painful for them to see my big belly when they are trying so hard to get or stay pregnant.  It is hard on me to know that I make other women so terribly sad and cannot share my happiness with them.  I cannot even share a room with them.  

 

I just feel that this time, my experience will be very different.  Before, I have known so many moms with young children that I always had a friend.  And now...my circle of friends has moved on.  They are going back to work, traveling, enjoying kid-free nights out.  They want to train for tri-athalons and I want to knit longies.  I am looking ahead and seeing a cold winter with a newborn and very few people to call on.   

 

I know that I can make it better.  I need to get back out there and widen my circle of friends.  I am struggling with it a bit though -- I feel much older than many of the new moms I know in town.  I can hang out a bit, but it is very clear that I am the older mom in the group and am on the outside of the social circle.  

post #96 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
 

 

I know that I can make it better.  I need to get back out there and widen my circle of friends.  I am struggling with it a bit though -- I feel much older than many of the new moms I know in town.  I can hang out a bit, but it is very clear that I am the older mom in the group and am on the outside of the social circle.  



Yes, this is the point I am coming to as well.  Coupled with a long distance move, I'm a little worried about creating new friendships- I'm not at the same place I was in my life when I had my youngest when everyone was having kids, and while I do have a couple young kids, I am really not on the same page in my life that most parents of young kids are. DH and I are very... settled, I suppose you could say.  The idea of a 'girl's night out' at a bar makes me want to run away, but the people who are involved in the things I like to do don't have little kids anymore.

 

I know I will sort it out with time, and the reality is that there are more mothers of young children who are older than there once were.  Most of those people though (at least where I am now) don't have older kids.  *sigh*  Having kids over a decade apart makes for interesting challenges. 

post #97 of 241

Can I complain about charlie horses? I've been taking my vitamins and all that, but the weekend I worked 2 12 hr shifts (i'm a nurse) and woke up like 6 times with charlie horses in BOTH LEGS! Argh.

 

I have a feeling that I'm going to be in for a lonely winter too, my last winter maternity leave was miserable! But I'm hoping that the friends I've made since then and the new church family I have will keep me sane.

post #98 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammamo View Post

Can I complain about charlie horses? I've been taking my vitamins and all that, but the weekend I worked 2 12 hr shifts (i'm a nurse) and woke up like 6 times with charlie horses in BOTH LEGS! Argh.

 

I have a feeling that I'm going to be in for a lonely winter too, my last winter maternity leave was miserable! But I'm hoping that the friends I've made since then and the new church family I have will keep me sane.



Yeah! Give it to me straight girls. What are leg cramps (charlie horses in my calves, really) like compared to contractions? Because I keep thinking... well this is pretty much the same thing- a muscle contraction. And it really freaking hurts. So times that one every 5 minutes or so for several hours. *head spin* Ugh. 

 

I'm also worried about being lonely. All my friends are very excited about the baby, but I'm the first to have one, so no one else is really going to be in the same boat. Add to that the fact that I don't see my friends a lot as it is, and I worry I'm going to be a complete hermit. I need to find a moms group here, but whereas you guys are worried about everyone being younger, I'm worried about everyone being older. It's like you can never win! lol

post #99 of 241

I've had a couple charlie horses in the middle of the night when I stretch...not a fun way to wake me up!!

 

jeninejessica, I'm 24. :)

 

My back is hurting more again too. >< I'm really really hoping it doesn't get to the point where I can't walk again...that was AWFUL.

 

And I'm SO tired of peeing!!!!!

post #100 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post





Yeah! Give it to me straight girls. What are leg cramps (charlie horses in my calves, really) like compared to contractions? Because I keep thinking... well this is pretty much the same thing- a muscle contraction. And it really freaking hurts. So times that one every 5 minutes or so for several hours. *head spin* Ugh. 

 

I'm also worried about being lonely. All my friends are very excited about the baby, but I'm the first to have one, so no one else is really going to be in the same boat. Add to that the fact that I don't see my friends a lot as it is, and I worry I'm going to be a complete hermit. I need to find a moms group here, but whereas you guys are worried about everyone being younger, I'm worried about everyone being older. It's like you can never win! lol


I can't remember contracting and thinking it is similar to a charlie horse.  The worst thing about a charlie horse is that it comes on suddenly, whereas you will be contracting for a LONNNNNNG time before you get to the point that you might call it "painful" (I try not to use that word.......PRESSURE!!).  Plus, there is a rhythmic flow to the contractions like a wave so you feel it increase in intensity, crest and then decrease.  I go crazy when I get charlie horses....they really hurt and you don't see them coming!!! :)

 

I wanted to suggest for you potentially lonely mamas your Public Library.  We loooooved the library when DS was younger.  We went twice a week to different classes and though I never bonded with any women there (I had enough playdates to keep me busy), I easily could have.  

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: December 2011
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › December 2011 › Can we have a complaining thread too?