Originally Posted by Alenushka
"believe" was not a good enougth sientific reason for me to do or not to do anything.
I think it is important to read studies on both sides of the argument. Read what happened in the countries which stopped vaccinating in the last 20 years.
A lot of people, for example, believe that soy suplimmets help with post menopausal issues. Well, a study was just complited (see Health section in nyt.com) that showed that this is not better than placebo.
No one ever argued that vaccines are 100% safe. They are not. No medical intervention is risk free. I had shosk reaction to flu vaccine and was not vaccinate again after that. At 18, I was very very ill with mumps. I started vaccinating again under supervision and all went well. I do not want to have measles, or Hep B or many other things I vaccinate against.
But the other side of this argument that non intervention also has risks and sometime quiet significant risk. For some reason, people forget about it
I agree that this post is not appropriate here. What's with the pro-vaccination posts in this forum in the last while? There is a S&D forum and a main forum for debating these issues. It might be worthwhile for some folks to read the guidelines at the top of this forum.
To the OP: my kids are 6.5 and 3 years old. The eldest attends school, the youngest will next Feb., both have a doctor signed CO exemption legal for Australia. So far, their health has been fairly unremarkable. Both stayed home with me until school started. Both were breastfed until three years old. My DS caught a few more colds and bugs than his sister had at his age, but then his immune system is different to hers. She seems to have more resistance to various illnesses going around.
My DS did have pertussis (not lab confirmed, but fit CDC clinical case description and the cough and vomiting was unmistakeable) when he was 23 months old. My boostered and up-to-date DH caught it and brought it home to us. I didn't become ill (I had some residual immunity from my last bout of it), nor did my unvaxed DD although the guys of the house were coughing and hacking all around us for over a month. I followed the treatment protocols suggested to me and he recovered without complication in just over five weeks. DH recovered a lot slower, about eight weeks for him.
We originally began delaying, but then the more I read, the more questions I had and I couldn't justify going ahead until I was 100% confident in my decision. I think an adequate strategy is to delay until you feel you have researched enough to make the decision that is right for you. Hopefully, your ped will agree to at least that much. The Pink Book is a good start. There's a couple of online sites (not the tin-foil hat ones, but ones that are fully referenced with peer-reviewed scientific research) that are useful too, but really, you'll want to start reading the medical literature, epidemiological reports, all that stuff on your own firsthand. That's where the real nitty gritty is.
Find a health care provider willing to listen and work with you (another battle). We have an older GP who had measles, whose kids had mumps, pertussis and chicken pox and doesn't give us any grief about our choice. He wishes we'd reconsider on the DT (and I occasionally revisit the issue) but it's not a deal breaker for him in terms of us remaining his patients.
We've been swimming against the current for almost seven years now. I don't argue with other doctors (ER docs etc.), school officials, whoever. I just smile and say, "we have a conscientious objection," and leave it at that. There's not much they can do about it. FWIW, I was vaccinated for a couple of the VADs I ended up with anyway, namely mumps and pertussis. So, I don't have a lot of personal conviction in their efficacy as they didn't serve me too well. I had chicken pox as well (no vaccine when I was in primary school), but it wasn't as much a hardship as an annoyance.