I'm pregnant with my second. After DS was born in 2009, I had a postpartum hemorrhage. I really want a HB this time, and am reading all I can on preventing PPH. My midwives are telling me "we recommend a hospital birth, but it is your choice." My one MW keeps telling me it would be awful to have this great birth at home, hemorrhage, and the end up at the hospital. But I'm not sure that's a great reason for me...I mean what if I don't end up needing a transfer? If I go to the hospital, I will for sure be at the hospital, at higher risk of all kinds of interventions and such, and feeling the stress of a hospital. At a HB, I may need a transfer, but what if I don't? Additionally, with my PPH, I didn't feel like everything happened "so fast". I'm 10 minutes from the hospital, and I feel like we could have transferred "in time." I also didn't transfer to the doctor until about 1 hour after birth.
So...to stop rambling and ask my question...how valid is the idea that "you don't want to have to transfer"? Can those of you who have had a transfer during/after a HB tell me how it affected you? Were you still happy to have been at home for the portion you were? If after the birth, does baby come with you to the hospital? What reasons besides hemorrhage are valid for transfer? Anything you can tell me about how it is emotionally to deal with a transfer would help me process everything! It's feeling like this huge decision, though my gut has strongly said HB since I found out I was pregnant!