I am new to this sub forum, I have posted in the "I'm pregnant" forum but never in my due date club. I am due November 22, 2011 and at my 19 week scan they found a mass in our baby's chest (bronchopulmonary sequestration), which is a lung malformation that often causes problems in utero and sometimes, if they don't resolve on their own before birth, may be recommended to be removed surgically after birth.
We have had multiple ultrasounds so far, and just today we got some good news that the mass has shrunk a bit. (yay!) If it doesn't greatly shrink by birth, it is unknown if baby will be born under respiratory distress or not. In that case, I think they would perform the surgery to remove it right then. In many cases, however, these things shrink up and go away on their own.
Anyway, it's still too far off to decide what will happen, but the doctors say we should consult with the pediatric surgeon at our next appt in 2 weeks and in any case, plan on having a "planned delivery". The reason for the induction, wouldn't be because it is medically necessary to the baby, but because they wouldn't want me to go into labor in the middle of the night or on a weekend when a potential surgeon might not be working.
I have dreamt about an all natural VBAC ever since I found out about this pregnancy, and it is literally tearing me apart thinking that I may be induced! I am scared out of my mind of regular labor, as I have never experienced contractions due to my prior C Section....which I 100% believe was due to unnecessary pitocin induction and an epidural.....but pitocin contraction REALLY scare me. And I know they are not good for baby. This time around, I wanted to do it right. I couldn't even breastfeed last time because my body was so messed up from the section and my milk never came in like it should have.
I need some insight here. What would you do if this were your situation? I know whatever is best for baby is ultimately what I will do, BUT.....a gentle, all natural drug free labor and birth is always best case scenario for mom and baby when possible. And in my case, it totally is possible...it's hospital schedules that are getting in the way.
What should I do?