I am so sorry to hear that! I hope you have a good support system around you at the hospital. I will be thinking of you and your family.
My water broke! = added updates and a picture at the end - Page 3
Our decisions for her completely went out the window because of the section. We haven't been able to do skin to skin, she was given formula (really upset about this), cord was cut immediately , she was seperated from us, etc.
I will update more and share pics once dh brings me the computer this morning. Thank you all for your kind words, thoughts and prayer
Stormy, so glad you finally got to hold her. I am sure she's gorgeous and I look forward to seeing pics of her.
Having an emergency c/s is not what anyone would plan for. I've been there, and it's not what I would want for anyone to experience. It sucks to have your body cut open, your baby taken out, and to have been unable to do all these things you planned for. It will take a while for you to come to terms with this experience. Please, keep sharing your feelings and thoughts about it since that seems to help with healing.
Stormy, I'm so so sorry that your birth ended up like it did, and that you've had such a long separation from Magnolia on top of that. I hope things are getting better today, and you finally have your sweet baby girl in your arms for the rest of your hospital stay.
I know it can take a while to process such a drastic change of plans. I went through it last year with DS's birth, and I still struggle with some emotions over loosing that first hour with my son, even though his daddy was with him. Please feel free to share if you need to and may the emotional recovery go smoothly along with a quick physical recovery.
I'm so so sorry, Mama. I'm glad you got to hold her. You can get through this, and past this, and you and your sweet baby will be as close as can be soon enough. I hope you get some rest and feel better, and soon get that baby to your breast as you had planned.
We are all here thinking of you and sweet Magnolia.
Oh, mama, I'm so sorry...
I had a completely unplanned C/S with my son with many of the same results; no skin-to-skin, immediate cord cutting, having to wait for a long to hold him time, etc. It was heartbreaking for me, as I felt like I wasn't able to protect and care for my tiny new baby the way I had dreamed of.
It is important to acknowledge and grieve those losses. But I hope to encourage you by telling you that the pain and disappointment does heal with time. You will develop the perfect, deep bond with your baby despite these setbacks. I'll be thinking of you and hoping that you're able to be there for your baby the way you want to be as soon as possible.
Stormy, I am so happy to hear you finally got to hold your sweet daughter! Congratulations on your jet black haired sweet little Magnolia!
Plans are just that, plans and you being the strong, attentive mama that you are I am sure with the help of some catch up bonding, in time, this will be just a bump on the road that you will move past. Meanwhile, let yourself feel everything you need to, as others have commented - let us in on it - and use the experience of mamas on this board who has been there before.
it is very hard, but you got this!
and welcome to sweet Magnolia, can't wait to see pics of her.
Many women have a prelabor rupture of membranes. How it is managed often means the difference between a c/s and vaginal birth. I am just popping in from October since it happened to me with my first birth. I don't ever want a woman to go through what I went through b/c I didn't know my option to refuse induction: http://midwifethinking.com/2010/09/10/pre-labour-rupture-of-membranes-impatience-and-risk/ I hope that your labor starts soon but if not, remember you ALWAYS have options and among those is monitoring yourself expectantly without any induction. Best wishes for a happy, healthy delivery.
Unfortunately there were a couple other concern beyond just p.r.o.m. I think the worst part of everything was the maternal exhaustion. I barely had energy when I started labor, and what little I did have quickly drained away, despite me taking efforts to get rest and increase my energy. I felt like I was already beat when I went through the hospital doors. When they did the U/S to check her out, despite my uterus measuring at 43 weeks when I checked my fundal height that day before my waters broke- they were concerned that she was only measuring 36 weeks (though she came out at 7 lbs 5 oz, so obviously their measurement was at least a little off) and the placenta didn't look good. Combined with FHTs that were dropping then spiking to make up for the drop, me having a fever, along with a few other things-it was several small things that individually I could argue against each one, but when all added up- the equation just didn't look too good. They wouldn't even try to induce b/c they didn't think she's make it.
Despite all this, I still trust birth and believe that UPing Ucing an homebirthing are safe. I think having a midwife and a doula would have made a world of difference though and I think the outcome may have ended up better. So next time, I will be hiring a midwife
A little update- they wanted her to room in with me tonight, but DH has to be at work tomorrow so he can take the first couple of days after we go home from the hospital. Him not being here combined with the fact I was still in enough pain I was having trouble even making it in and out of bed. When shift change came I let the new nurse know how much pain I was in and what she though about it. She felt it was best that I didn't stress over the baby and that I needed sleep. They also finally realized that the norco wasn't doing anything for my pain and switched me over to percocet which was much much better! I was feeling so much better on the percocets and was able to finally get some sleep too. So hopefully once I get up and finally shower and eat breakfast they'll let Magnolia spend the rest of the day in my room. I haven't had much success pumping and I think having her right near me and being able to do skin to skin will help alot.
Also, if everyone could say a quick prayer/send good thoughts- I hadn't mentioned this before but when they took my blood on Tuesday, one of the drug screens came back positive- I believe it was the barbiturate screening. Anyway, I have no idea what could have caused the false positive and wasn't too concerned with it until now- after taking 5 vials of blood last night, someone just came in and took another 3 (and Its only 4am). That along with being an informed parent and refusing the hep B and eye ointment I know we are going to be getting a visit from CPS (apparently any who tells them "No" on the eye ointment, hep B, or Vitamin K shot automatically gets a visit from CPS. I'm not particularly worried about the CPS visit, but I just don't want to have to worry about them.
I'm so ready to have this whole hospital crap done with and take my baby home. I already feel like a failure as a mom given that she's been alive almost 40 hrs now and I've only seen her less than 2 of those hours.