or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Diapering › Can I wash my Grovia AIO's with my Prefolds?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can I wash my Grovia AIO's with my Prefolds?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

We got some Grovia AIO & AI2's for dd when she goes to daycare pt and we use prefolds the rest of the time.

Can I wash them all together? I usually wash my prefolds with a HOT cycle. The grovia site says to wash HOT only for the prepping and then wash on WARM the rest of the time. What is the reasoning behind washing WARM and will WARM get the ickies out?

I do want them to last, but I want them to be clean. We use Country Save.


Any tips?

post #2 of 10

I would wash all of them together on warm! The warm water is plenty to activate the detergent which gets your diapers clean.  Hot water causes excessive wear at little benefit. Hot water out of the tap in a washing machine or sink isn't hot enough to sterilize anything (which is why you boil water to sterilize a pacifier or bottle or pump parts) so you are relying on the detergents to get your diapers clean, which they do on warm. I've used warm water to wash my GroBaby, GroVia, Blueberry, GAD pockets and prefolds and flats for over 2 years now. I've never had to strip my diapers and have only had 1 yeast rash (when she was on antibiotics) and our other rashes have been from eating too many grapes!  

 

So, GroVia recommends warm for 2 reasons, it reduces wear and tear on the organic cotton and it is better for the earth than the wasted energy that goes into hot washes.  

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtalksCDs View Post

I would wash all of them together on warm! The warm water is plenty to activate the detergent which gets your diapers clean.  Hot water causes excessive wear at little benefit. Hot water out of the tap in a washing machine or sink isn't hot enough to sterilize anything (which is why you boil water to sterilize a pacifier or bottle or pump parts) so you are relying on the detergents to get your diapers clean, which they do on warm. I've used warm water to wash my GroBaby, GroVia, Blueberry, GAD pockets and prefolds and flats for over 2 years now. I've never had to strip my diapers and have only had 1 yeast rash (when she was on antibiotics) and our other rashes have been from eating too many grapes!  

 

So, GroVia recommends warm for 2 reasons, it reduces wear and tear on the organic cotton and it is better for the earth than the wasted energy that goes into hot washes.  


Great thanks! I am really loving my grovia aio's. They are drying as quick as my prefolds. The ai2 inserts take a bit longer, but that's ok.

I also got a bum genius elemental? and that is taking the longest to dry.

 

I just got 6 new grovia aio's and I accidentally got them mixed up with the ones I've had for a few weeks. I have not fully prepped them, maybe 3 washes so far, on hot. Should I just wash on warm from now on or do a few more hot washes to get them fully prepped or will the oils come off with just warm water. Geez I should have kept them seperate. Doh.

 

post #4 of 10

next time, put the prepping ones in a mesh bag, so you know which they are!  If you prep in warm it might just take longer for them to reach maximum absorbency, but it will still work.  You could do two hot washes of all of them, and then you'd be covered either way.  

 

I've never tried anything from Cotton Babies, so no BG here.... but I love how fast the GV AIO dries!  The AI2 soakers are slower, but I love that system so it's worth the hassel to me. I just hang them to line dry over night after everything else is out of the dryer. I am a big geek in my townhouse with CDs line drying on my drying racks on the balcony. They are no higher than the wall though so nobody is allowerd to complain! LOL!

post #5 of 10

I wash all my diapers on HOT. I have GroVia AIO's bumGenius 4.0's and Elementals. They are all about a year old and I have not noticed any wear on my diapers. It's up to you.  I will say I never have a problem with my dipes holding stink or that yucky ammonia smell. You could wash them all together in Warm or Hot. 

post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerngirl View Post

Great thanks! I am really loving my grovia aio's. They are drying as quick as my prefolds. The ai2 inserts take a bit longer, but that's ok.

I also got a bum genius elemental? and that is taking the longest to dry.

 

I just got 6 new grovia aio's and I accidentally got them mixed up with the ones I've had for a few weeks. I have not fully prepped them, maybe 3 washes so far, on hot. Should I just wash on warm from now on or do a few more hot washes to get them fully prepped or will the oils come off with just warm water. Geez I should have kept them seperate. Doh.

 


The Elementals take forever to dry! They are great diapers, but that is their only downfall IMO.  I put them on the line in the sun all day and still usually have to throw them in the dryer for 20 mins or so,

 

I never "fully prep" any of my diapers (just a waste of water IMO) and never have any leaking issues. I would use them and don't worry about it unless it seems they are leaking a lot.  I usually just wash my diapers twice on hot before using. Hope this helps!

 

post #7 of 10

My dr recommended I wash all my diapers on hot every time after DD had an ongoing problem with a yeast rash.  After doing some research I had to admit she was right--60 C (warm wash) is not quite hot enough to kill all the yuckies.  70 C would be hot enough, but most domestic machines don't have a "sterilize" cycle--so I wash on hot (90 C) whenever there are any poopy diapers.

 

Personally, I wash my "expensive" diapers (pocket diapers, AIOs) with normal laundry when they are not poopy, so I can use a cooler temp and not wear out the diaper as quickly!  I add an exra pre- and post-rinse to the wash cycle.  Poop diapers ALWAYS get a 90 degree wash in my house no matter what kind of diaper.

 

post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by icy02 View Post




The Elementals take forever to dry! They are great diapers, but that is their only downfall IMO.  I put them on the line in the sun all day and still usually have to throw them in the dryer for 20 mins or so,

 

I never "fully prep" any of my diapers (just a waste of water IMO) and never have any leaking issues. I would use them and don't worry about it unless it seems they are leaking a lot.  I usually just wash my diapers twice on hot before using. Hope this helps!

 


My one BG elemental is almost fully prepped, but after it dried today, I thought I'll just use it, I don't care. The instructions said to wash separate for 5-6 hot washes. Separate? really.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherr30 View Post

My dr recommended I wash all my diapers on hot every time after DD had an ongoing problem with a yeast rash.  After doing some research I had to admit she was right--60 C (warm wash) is not quite hot enough to kill all the yuckies.  70 C would be hot enough, but most domestic machines don't have a "sterilize" cycle--so I wash on hot (90 C) whenever there are any poopy diapers.

 

Personally, I wash my "expensive" diapers (pocket diapers, AIOs) with normal laundry when they are not poopy, so I can use a cooler temp and not wear out the diaper as quickly!  I add an exra pre- and post-rinse to the wash cycle.  Poop diapers ALWAYS get a 90 degree wash in my house no matter what kind of diaper.

 


This is a good point! Luckily we have never had to deal with yeast here.

Do you use less soap when you wash some of the diapers with your regular laundry? Or just add extra rinses?

 

post #9 of 10

I use half the estimated soap the manufacturer recommends with most loads no matter what is in the wash, I find it is enough.  When there are diapers in a load I use the same brand of detergent I use on a diaper load.  (so that I know there is no allergy to it)

post #10 of 10

interesting... I washed on 40 C for two years with no problems, though the diapers were line dried in the sun the entire time, and I really thing the UV rays kill more than what hot water can!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Diapering
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Diapering › Can I wash my Grovia AIO's with my Prefolds?