I went through a birth center for my daughter's birth. It was a beautiful pregnancy but the birth went completely belly up. I had a very slow, painful labor which culminated in a hospital transfer where after pushing for four hours and not ever having her move down I consented to a section.
She turned out to be macrosomic and no one can tell why. I'm sure genetics played a part but this was extreme. We suspect malpositioning as well.
I intend to do everything in my power to have a VBAC when I do have another baby. However, I'm scared that I would have complications again and ruin our finances again. Because of the transfer I was on the hook for all our copays and deductibles as well as the 3800$ fee fir the birth center. It was a huge setback for us financially because we had expected insurance to contribute but due to a loophole they didn't have to. So our daughter's birth was about 5000$ out of pocket.
I love my birth center. But that is a lot of money. I'm so committed to the philosophy of natural birth and midwifery but the hospital will cost me less and is happy to take monthly payments indefinitely.
I almost feel guilty, like I need validation it's ok to make a decision based on finances. If money were no object or I were confident that we wouldn't have complications again I would go there again without hesitation. I just can't pay two bills again.