or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › October 2011 › Which one would you pack?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which one would you pack?

Poll Results: Which baby wearing device would you pack for the hospital?

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 22% (4)
    Moby Wrap
  • 0% (0)
    Sleepy Wrap
  • 16% (3)
    Pouch Sling
  • 61% (11)
    Don't know/None/other, please leave comment
18 Total Votes  
post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

I wanted to update this thread. I ended up packing the Sleepy Wrap and loved it! I was not allowed to walk out of the room with him, hospital policy was for safety reasons babies can only be transported in the cribs, but even just wearing  it in the room worked out very well for the both of us. I did not have any issues with the hospital. They did have a no baby sleeping in bed policy but I had a very attached and natural nurse who was all for mom on baby and over looked it. I did also have him in the Sleepy Wrap and sit in a chair to nap a time or two, haha. 

--------------------------------------------
Babywearing device poll. I'm trying to decide what to take with me to the Birthing Center.
 

I have Moby Wrap-which I have used with newborn, not straight in the hospital but a couple days old if that; Sleepy Wrap-which is new to me and I have never used for newborn, never used at all aside from the one time I tried my daughter in it just to try it out a couple months ago. I notice distinct differences between the Moby and Sleepy and originally packed the Sleepy Wrap because it just seemed like it would be better/easier/more convenient but now I'm second guessing because I've never actually worn a NB in it. Pouch Sling-custom made for me during my last pregnancy which I loved for the newborn days. I also have Boba G2 and Ergo but have decided not to buy infant insert for the Ergo so neither of those I feel safe using until the recommended age.


Edited by KABB - 10/9/12 at 7:09am
post #2 of 25
I am an avid baby wearer but to be honest I don't think you need to pack one. I have hb but never use anything for the first few days. I don't k ow how long you will be at the bc but I am guessing taking care of your baby and holding them will be your only job. That sid If you feel you really need one then I would go with the moby or pouch. The pouch will be better for easy in and out and the moby is more swaddle like.
post #3 of 25
Oh i voted none.
post #4 of 25

Gosh, it hadn't even crossed my mind!  I voted none - When she is home we will use our moby and ring sling, but for the hospital?  I really can't imagine needing it.  She will be so tiny and I will be so sore, we won't be walking very far and we won't be staying very long anyway!

post #5 of 25

We'll be bringing a Moby and ring sling. We don't drive so dragging a car seat would be stupid to take public transportation home (which is the plan.) Plus I want to practice getting baby in and out of carriers while still in the hospital.

post #6 of 25
I also voted none. You won't be there long, and you'll likely spend your time there snuggling up in bed, so I would just leave them at home.
post #7 of 25
I voted none. I also avoid pouch/rings slings with newborns, I'm too worried about chest-to-chin breathing obstruction.
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post

I voted none. I also avoid pouch/rings slings with newborns, I'm too worried about chest-to-chin breathing obstruction.


I do tummy-to-tummy carries instead of cradle carries with ring slings.

post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonahsmom View Post





I do tummy-to-tummy carries instead of cradle carries with ring slings.


I could never figure that out with the ring sling, easy with the Moby though!
post #10 of 25
I voted none as well. I remember someone telling me when DS was born that they (the hospital) 't let you walk around carrying your baby (through the halls) anyway, so there's not much need for a carrier, unless you plan to walk home. That said, I used a ring sling when DS was a newborn and loved it (tummy to tummy carries), and bought a Sleepy Wrap to use with this baby. If I were going to take one of the two, it'd be the Sleepy Wrap (or a Moby) - you could probably get away with wearing it without a shirt under it, and you could do skin-to-skin time that way.
post #11 of 25
Thread Starter 

So pretty much none of you felt baby wearing your new-newborn would or did offer you any benefit to you or them?

 

Here's why I ask...The first night after birth has been rough for my babies. My youngest daughter had the biggest issue adjusting that night and looking back I really think having a baby wearing device would have helped us both out a great deal. She would have gotten to be snug and comfy next to mama and me close to her. I started wearing out when we got home from the hospital and it helped so much! She had my smell, my warmth and my heartbeat and the comfort of a wrap/pouch around her...not the womb but... and of course my arms/hands would be free and not aching like they were going to fall off. I actually hate having my babies wrapped like a burrito laying in the bassinet away from me in the hospital. I plan to bring a baby wearing device anyway just because of the benefits I know it has for me and my babies...not to mention, if he's born preemie I'll have it with me already to go Kangaroo care whenever he's ready. I'd much rather pack it and not need it than not pack it and regret it. 

 

 

post #12 of 25

I am planning on homebirthing and will very likely wear my new baby very shortly after birth. I do plan on putting a wrap in my back up hospital bag too.

post #13 of 25

At the hospitals I birthed at you were not 'allowed' to walk around holding your baby. You had to push them in the little cart thing. That said, I also wasn't 'allowed' to bed share in the hospital and did anyway. Wrapping in bed is not a terrible idea. Might as well pack one so you won't regret not having it once you get there.

post #14 of 25

I'd pack the moby since you are most used to it but I agree with others that you probably won't need it. I didn't use one with DD for several days. She slept with me in the hospital bed, I used pillows to prop my arms up. She was never left in the basinet... I just used it to change her diapers.

post #15 of 25

Well, obviously, if you think you will want to do it you should!  And you probably know which carrier will work best for what you want to do!

 

DD was rarely out of arms during our hospital stay and slept most of the night with me (I hate those little plastic boxes -  and it is so awkward and uncomfortable to get them in and out for a sore mom laying in bed!)

 

I guess a carrier might make it easier to sleep with baby (narrow bed, serious fatigue, you wouldn't have to worry about dropping them!)  In that case I would choose the ring sling just because it is so easy to adjust

post #16 of 25

It's not that I would say there isn't a benefit but I never babywore sitting or lying down with ds & I didn't do any walking around in the hospital after his birth so I wouldn't have had much chance to babywear. If you think you will use one definitely bring it along. I suspect this time will be the same - I will just hold the baby in my arms in bed with me.

 

We used a ring sling exclusively from birth until 3 months when I made a stretchy wrap - I suspect this time I will get more use out of the stretchy wrap 'cause it seems more suited to the newborn stage - I just found it kind of irritating to get in & out of with ds.

post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teruterubozu View Post

We'll be bringing a Moby and ring sling. We don't drive so dragging a car seat would be stupid to take public transportation home (which is the plan.) Plus I want to practice getting baby in and out of carriers while still in the hospital.


Check in with your hospital. Some hospitals won't release the baby without a car seat.
post #18 of 25

What Sue said ...

I won't bring one if we end up in hospital.  DD slept with me in the hospital bed too, even though the staff discouraged me to have her in bed with me, I did it anyway.  Would do it again.  I'm not putting my newborn in a plastic box! (aka 'bassinet') If I thought I might want one, the moby style would be lovely, but a drag to put on (lifting arms, stretching, tugging, no thanks!) and keep snug and deal with bunching up fabric and knots.  I'd bring a ring sling and do tummy-to-tummy. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post

I'd pack the moby since you are most used to it but I agree with others that you probably won't need it. I didn't use one with DD for several days. She slept with me in the hospital bed, I used pillows to prop my arms up. She was never left in the basinet... I just used it to change her diapers.



 

post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABB View Post

So pretty much none of you felt baby wearing your new-newborn would or did offer you any benefit to you or them?

 

Here's why I ask...The first night after birth has been rough for my babies. My youngest daughter had the biggest issue adjusting that night and looking back I really think having a baby wearing device would have helped us both out a great deal. She would have gotten to be snug and comfy next to mama and me close to her. I started wearing out when we got home from the hospital and it helped so much! She had my smell, my warmth and my heartbeat and the comfort of a wrap/pouch around her...not the womb but... and of course my arms/hands would be free and not aching like they were going to fall off. I actually hate having my babies wrapped like a burrito laying in the bassinet away from me in the hospital. I plan to bring a baby wearing device anyway just because of the benefits I know it has for me and my babies...not to mention, if he's born preemie I'll have it with me already to go Kangaroo care whenever he's ready. I'd much rather pack it and not need it than not pack it and regret it. 

 

 


I had my son sleep right beside me in the bed with my arm on the other side of him. I kept the bed slightly reclined and never budged from my back. I hated that plastic bassinet too.

Some hospitals seriously don't ALLOW you to walk around with YOUR OWN baby in your arms? Now I've heard everything.
post #20 of 25

So stupid...but true.
I get that they don't want you to drive away with your baby on your lap...but i've known people who can literally walk across the street from the hospital to get home-or like you said, take public transportation, but the hospital still won't let them leave without an infant seat. What a waste of money for those who never drive, or cab.



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronika01 View Post



Check in with your hospital. Some hospitals won't release the baby without a car seat.
 


 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: October 2011
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › October 2011 › Which one would you pack?