I've been trying to post since the first... for some reason this thread has got some sort of "hush wombat" spell on it! LOL But I'm feeling certain sure it'll work this time!
Hope you're having fun Maia
Interesting parenting blog... I browsed but need to read more in depth
And thanks all for the well wishes and energy. :) I'm still hoping the babe comes this weekend, but if not... well, this coming week is a total zoo, we have no care giver for the older kiddos on Tues/Wed, so it's probably best if she stays inner child till the planned induction on Friday (much as I hate to say that).
Hugs to those in need and shared joy to those who are overflowing with glee... I know I'm not caught up with the thread!
I responded on FB, but in terms of belief and comfort in times of crisis:
I sort of think of it as being similar to comfort food. People are exposed to things in infancy and childhood that are built into the foundation of who they are. It may be intentional, or it may just be a factor of the culture they live in, but those foundational elements remain buried in the psyche and soul. So later in life, no matter what path a person may have taken, a crisis or "dark night of the soul" can call up an overwhelming desire for the sort of comfort that was built into the "child's world". Just like a person who became vegetarian as a teen and who has been vegetarian for more years than they weren't might find themselves craving chicken soup or some other meat based dish from their childhood when they don't feel good or are in emotional/physical upheaval. Or a die-hard athiest might find that they really, deeply, NEED to believe in the fluffy clouds and harp holding angels of their childhood when their parent passes away (this happened to a friend of mine). Once the physical illness or emotional turmoil passes, they often find that they are happy with their vegetarian diet or athiest understandings... but during that time of crisis they need the solidity of those long buried foundational supports.
And that's totally fine, and normal, and human as far as I can tell. People need support and comfort, and belief (religious or otherwise) is where they find it. While an adult can make many choices and find a path or practice that fulfills them, if that wasn't the path/practice of their infancy and childhood there is always going to be a certain something lacking. The whole "no athiests in a foxhole" truism.
I spend a lot of time/effort trying to make sure that my own children will have access to spiritual "comfort food" that doesn't also require a high price in terms of self-will and free choice. I know that during my own dark nights I long for the sort of religious certainty the catholic church offered me in my childhood. I WANT that sort of black and white, right and wrong, do this and all will be well sense of security! But I also can't accept the limits and bindings and restrictions and denials that go along with that certainty. I have explored many christian paths and many pagan paths... and none of them offer the same sort of certainty, the same "comfort food" I crave during times of turmoil, because none of them were part of my original exposure/enculturation. But then again, none of them are as "bad for me" as a steady diet of that variety of comfort food would be. I've come to accept that those times of turmoil are a relatively small part of my life, and I'm willing to do without that specific comfort food 5% of the time in exchange for pretty darn good food the other 95% of the time.
So, um, anyway... I think people should be free to pick and choose based on their needs and not feel limited by names. I'm a Heathen who craves Catholic comfort food. I don't think that makes me "less pagan" or "more christian" or anything in particular except just plain old me. I hope that by giving my own kiddos a taste for pagan comfort food they will find that in later life they don't have to choose between comfort and their adult understanding of the world. But I dunno. I do know I ramble however! LOL