Sorry if long - We currently have 2 kids in care - one 3.5, the other 5 months. My eldest son went to a neighbor's home care until right before #2 was born - the neighbor decided to close her operation the day before I went into labor. Once I returned to work after leave we got an opening for both at a wonderful place near both my DH's and my offices. The only problem is the new place is a Child Care Center and PreSchool and so costs waaaay more than the home care we had been using. Before #2 was born we were planning on $280 per week for both and now we are paying $425. They've been at the new place since 7/1, so 2 months or so, but we are finding it almost impossible financially, and heating season is going to put us over the edge right into the red *every pay period*. This is clearly unsustainable. However, I worry that the switch now will be difficult for both my older son and the younger.
Would it be better to tough it out for the next 2 years, until #1 goes to Kindergarten, or switch to another home care situation as soon as possible, to lessen the pain of the switch, for the 2 boys?
We make too much money for financial assistance, or for one of us to quit our jobs and stay home. Fixed expenses are the main issue - housing, student loans, etc.