What did you accomplish today? - Page 68
Well... I am lazing it out with Thanksgiving prep this year. Will I regret that come tomorrow? Maybe. But you know, part of this holiday is about getting to relax with family, so that's what I'm focusing on. And I'm not cooking anything more complicated than a slightly larger nice weekday dinner and I've been around the block a few times with hosting, so I'll think I'll be okay.
- Learned via Pioneer Woman that it's not wise to brine a frozen turkey since they're usually injected with a saline solution. And of course mine was (even though I picked up a "natural" one...wth) so change of plans. I'll just roast it tomorrow and glaze it with reduced spiced apple juice instead.
- Set up the folding table and chairs in the kitchen.
- Laid out the tablecloth in the hopes that the wrinkles will come out of it overnight so I don't have to iron it in the morning.
- Pulled out the table decor items I'll need.
- Laid out the non-perishable ingredients on the counter.
Didn't make the pies or do any food prep. We're just having my in laws over so we'll just eat when the food is ready, so I'm not up against a huge time clock this year, and I plan on being up and at 'em by 7. So we'll see how this turns out.
^^^ Hahaha, nothing about leftovers? That was a big part of my day yesterday, sorting them. We had DS1 home and spent five hours on video call with DS2.
- got the morning going -- ours and DS1's
- helped DH hang a couple strands of lights
- ran out for butter and a couple of kitchen organizing thingies
- walked dog
- made DS1 some lunch
- made pop tarts for DS1 (1 dozen) and DS2 (half dozen, he gets them more often)
- started pizza dough for DS1, it's rising now
Sort of quiet, but productive in the kitchen. Pleasant, certainly.
Hahaha nope! My husband pushed me out of the kitchen and took care of it! Which was totally fine by me!
I had to work today (from home thankfully) so I got a few things done -
- Put away the platters and serving ware from yesterday.
- Put away all of the fall/Thanksgiving decorations.
- Pulled down the Christmas bins from storage in the master closet so they're ready for tomorrow.
- Watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I love how ABC is doing the 25 days of Christmas television programming - we'll get to see all of the classics!
- Did the bedtime routine with Little Man.
Still need to bake a coffee cake for breakfast tomorrow, and I'm going to sort through the gift bin and take inventory of stocking stuffers, and try to find our Christmas cards. I ordered them weeks ago from Shutterfly, and I have no idea where I put them. I also discovered that we no longer have a tree stand (must've gotten lost in the last move), so we'll need to stop by Goodwill in the morning and pick one up. Then we're going to get our Christmas tree and decorate the house for Christmas!
Great morning so far -
- Went to Starbucks to treat ourselves to coffee with my Groupon gift card.
- Stopped at Goodwill for a Christmas tree stand.
- Went into Chicago to go to Gethsemane Garden Center for our Christmas tree (our tradition).
- Stopped at Babies R Us to pick up a baby shower gift for tomorrow.
- Popped into Hobby Lobby and picked up a few things for Christmas crafting (they're having a 50% Christmas items sale today).
- Made turkey noodle casserole for lunch.
Now Little Man is napping while the tree opens up, and this afternoon we're going to put on some Christmas music and decorate!
Rounded out the day with Christmas fun and we had a blast -
- Put up the Christmas tree and trimmed it.
- Decorated the house with our Christmas things.
- Found an awesome Christmas fire/Christmas music website called Faux Fire - we plugged the computer into the TV and watched the fire and listened to the music while we decorated.
- Used trimmings from the tree to make a bouquet for the kitchen table. I tied a Christmas ribbon around the vase, but I'd like to pick up some red berry sprays to give it a little more interest.
- Made a winter forest scene in a vase with fake snow, a bottle brush tree and mini deer.
- Sorted through the wrapping paper, bags and things. Donating a bunch of extra that aren't our taste to Goodwill.
- Put away the Christmas storage bins.
- Vacuumed the floor to clean up the pine needles from setting up the tree.
And now I'm totally exhausted! Going to have a cup of tea and address the Christmas cards. :-)
Today was a nightmare. We had to go to a baby shower for a cousin that we're not close with that with scheduled for 11:00 - which is the worst time ever to take a toddler anywhere. He did not get a nap today!
- Wrapped gifts for the baby shower.
- Got showered and dressed and ready to go.
- Went to the shower and was there for four hours. Way to long. All the food was laced with dairy so I couldn't eat. Not a single thing.
- Tried to stave off toddler meltdowns at the shower. And yes, I did resort to PBS Kids videos on my phone.
- Came home and endured massive whining about it taking too long for me too cook macaroni and cheese (yes, my day was full of parenting win...)
- Put Little Man down for bed (you know, the screaming/crying WAY overtired bedtime routine).
- Made potato soup for dinner for myself (since the only thing I "eaten" basically all day is a venti gingerbread latte!
- Laid out my clothes for work.
Going to pack my bag for work, eat some soup and vegetate in front of the television. I'm so bitter about wasting a whole bleeping day at this baby shower. These are the cousins that only show up when they want/need something. If there's not a gift involved for them, they don't participate. It's resentment city, but what can I do?
I'll start a thread and see what happens. Join me there and tell me what a granny square is, OK?