Good way to look at it!!
Aw, Becky, what a bummer. That totally sucks, hopefully it's nothing serious and some abx will clear it all right up.
AFM - I ran out to the food store ALONE this evening! I went to Dunkin and got a coffee and rocked out to Britney in the car, and totally spent an hour going up and down every damn aisle! I enjoyed my free time!!
I left DH with 3 oz of pumped milk and a bottle. We haven't intro'd the bottle yet, but I was only going to be an hour tops, and fed him before I left. I figured worst case it's there and he can try. Turns out, Finn took like a sip out of the bottle and then decided he wanted nothing to do with it, lol!! Guess we'll have to work on that. Anyone else who is bf'ing try a bottle yet? I know there are quite a few babies older than Finn. He's 5 weeks and change. I wanted to at least try at around 6 weeks and then go from there. Lord knows it can't hurt my supply.
we tried last weekend. it was a slow flow nip (playtex bottle), i watched from the other room as DH fed her. They did ok, she was taking it but not over excited, which is ok since she had just nursed. we will try again this weekend. i guess i just want to know it will work without putting too much emphasis on it. it will be interesting to see how this try goes - planning on going for it when she is hungry this time...
she is 6 weeks, 3 day today.
Does anyone else have mixed feelings about introducing the bottle? I want it to go well, because DS obviously needs to eat while I'm away. But there's a part of me that hates to see him eating from a bottle or sucking in a pacifier... that's MY job! Yuck, I sound so judgey when I say that and I don't want to make anyone else feel bad if they use bottles/binkies. At least I probably won't see it since the whole point is for him to use them while I'm not home.
I technically don't have to go back to work and am secretly praying DS won't take a bottle so that will solidify my decision. He is 7 weeks and we were suppose to try this week but it never happened so I guess we will try next week. I plan on working locally and shorter days than normal to begin with so hopefully DH can bring him to me mid day to nurse. I'm still debating whether or not I'm going to travel and work 8-11 hour days. I know he will be in good hands (DH's) but it just makes me sad to leave him.
We decided not to bother getting DS2 registered with the Ped we use for DS1 as we are moving at the end of Oct to live closer to DH's work. We've had some issues with the Ped, as she is very pro-vax and we get lectured every time we show any resistance or refuse a particular vax. She also still wants DS1 going for well baby check ups every couple of months even though he is over a year old, and that seems redundant to me. She had been recommended by a friend as someone who was willing to listen to moms, but turns out only if you are mainstream in your health care choices (ie do what you are told by her!)
So we will be looking for a crunchier doctor once we move. Meanwhile DS2 is still under the care of the midwife. We both have another check-up next Tuesday at 3 weeks, and then we have a final one at 6 weeks. Fortunately we will be moving just a few days after the 6 week appointment, so DS2 won't have too long a gap in care if we can find a good Dr quickly. Unless he gets sick though I'm not in any hurry, as I think a lot of the well baby visits are a complete waste of time if you're not doing all the vaxs.
I started giving DS2 a bottle at right at 3 weeks, he finally took one last weekend at 7 weeks. He had been chewing on them before, getting a little but not actually drinking. Now just to keep it up. My girls didn't take a bottle, DS1 did for several months and then I let several weeks go by without giving him one and never was able to get him to take one again. I made it work around my work schedule then but DS2 really needs to take one.
Doc appointments.... I don't think we've ever done a one month. This time was off because my doc is impossible to get into now. For sick visits, you get who ever has an opening that day, never her, most of the time it is the NP, if you call right at 8am then you might get in with a doc. She is booked out for appointments weeks in advance, normally it is 3-4 weeks. So DS2 went in at almost 6 weeks for his first visit, in again last week at 8 weeks to just to check his murmur with another doc and then we'll go back at 4 months. I do some of the visits and not some others. My regular pedi is amazing, very crunchy, I really adore her, she has no issues with anything we do or do not do.
I used to never do any well visits at all, DD1 was almost 4 before she went in. It worked then. It doesn't now. All my kids just have too many issues. We use the time to keep our doc/patient relationship, update the charts (they see other care providers), refill scripts for those of them that are on regular meds. I went in for DS2's 6 week check, I updated her on DS1's therapy problems, got a referral for a new speech therapist, and got new meds for DD2 at the same time, saving us all time and money. Because of our doc knows my kids and me so well, I get excellent care, when I call with something, she jumps. I get strings pulled at other places, she updates me on any medical care that might be available in our area now that would help us. she has really gone above and above for us over the years. Calling me on her days off to check on a kid, calling specialists and getting us in sooner then I can get an appointment for, on and on. And I really like her, it is more like seeing a friend then anything else.
Amy - that doctor sounds amazing. I would love to have someone on my side like that, especially if my kids had special needs and whatnot. That's pretty awesome.
As for us, I wasn't going to get caught up in the WBVs with Finn b/c I did them with Nora and they were a hassle a bit -- getting there, declining things, filling out little checkboxes with skills and milestones. But, b/c Finn is going back in 2 weeks for a follow up regarding his reflux, they asked if I wanted to do the 1 mo WBV at the same time. I said sure. I'll already be there and I'll get one out of the way. He'll be 2 months old for his 1 month visit. I thought that was funny. We're already "off schedule".
I'm debating some vaxes for him being that the winter months are coming up and I'm thinking of putting DD in preschool. Not rushing into anything but thinking about it. Also thinking about her vaxes lately, and what I feel is right for school.
Anyway, I'm off to set up this weeks new chat right now! Sorry guys!