or Connect
Mothering › Groups › May 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › Nervous about heartbeat ap

Nervous about heartbeat ap

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

I am going in tomorrow for an early ultrasound. They'll be measuring to help date the pregnancy (which is unnecessary - I know exactly when I ovulated winky.gif) and also check for a heartbeat. I'll be 6 weeks and 4 days. I'm so worried that they won't be able to see the heartbeat. Has anyone else gone in for an early ultrasound? Anyone seen the heartbeat this early? Any experience with this or reassurance would be greatly appreciated :-) 

post #2 of 15

With my last pregnancy, I had an ultrasound at 6w, 5d and saw the heart beat pretty easily.  I think you might be right on the cusp though.  Even with this one, going in at 7 weeks the NP was prepping me that we may not see the heartbeat.  Hoping you see that reassuring little flutter tomorrow!

post #3 of 15

We had a whole mess of a complicated situation with ds. I hadn't had a period in two months, had gone through three early miscarriages, and was having incredibly painful cramps at night. Our OB lied to us about the pregnancy leading to a miscarriage because DP and I are unmarried and she had quite a thing against young unwed mothers. *eyeroll!*

 

So, anyway, at around 4 weeks preggo, we end up in the ER for severe cramping and the assumption that the pregnancy is ending in miscarriage as we were told by our OB. They did an early ultrasound then, and saw nothing. We went in again at 6 weeks, and saw a yolk sac, which wasn't quite what we were hoping to see. So, they sent us in AGAIN at 8 weeks, and we saw the most adorable little bean with a super clear heartbeat!

 

So...I'd guess that you're on the cusp of seeing that heartbeat. But, either way, you'll get to see SOMETHING in there ;-) I hope it goes well!!

post #4 of 15

My Dr said I could also go in for an early u/s at 6 weeks, because of an early mc at 9 weeks, I couldn't get an apt till 6w 6d, I hope that is long enough that I will hear something then.  Originally I really wanted to go in at 6w but now I feel that giving a few extra days will make it more likely that we will see something.

post #5 of 15



I had an ultrasound with my first child at 6 wks 2 days and we saw a very clear heartbeat. It didn't work with the u/s with the wand on my uterus (I don't know what that's called) but it did show up clearly when she went ahead and did the transvaginal one (is that what that one is called)? Good luck:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyann View Post

My Dr said I could also go in for an early u/s at 6 weeks, because of an early mc at 9 weeks, I couldn't get an apt till 6w 6d, I hope that is long enough that I will hear something then.  Originally I really wanted to go in at 6w but now I feel that giving a few extra days will make it more likely that we will see something.



 

post #6 of 15

Good Luck! You may or may not see something. I went in at 7w0d last Friday - just a couple days ago and because the location was so far up in the uterus doc prepped me that we wouldn't see a heartbeat just the yolk sac, but we did! I went in to check viability because of other chemical pregnancies, etc. So it was wonderfully reassuring for me to see our little one. Because it was so hard to see anything, he has me coming back in 2 weeks to check that things are moving along well. Let us know how it goes!

post #7 of 15

Well I had my first u/s yesterday 5w 1d she thought we would see the hb since my hormone was at 15,000, but just saw the sack and fetal pole, she is sending us back next week at 6W 1D, I really hope we see something then. I was feeling so good before the u/s, but now I have started worrying more, and hope going back at 6W wont still be too early to see the heartbeat...fingers crossed and trying to stay positive till then.

post #8 of 15

i assume everything went perfectly Meredith?

post #9 of 15

I believe she updated in the weekly chat?

post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 

Oh, yes I probably should have updated here too! Everything went well - I saw the heartbeat and they said everything was measuring fine...what a relief! Thanks for all the replies! :-)

post #11 of 15

My first appt. is tomorrow and I'm super nervous.  By dates I will be 7.2, but I've had some brown spotting.  I know everyone says that is normal, but since this is #4 for me and I had no spotting with the first 3, I am a little freaked out.  I really hope everything is okay....

post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 

Lisoula, I feel for you! I know how nerve wracking it can be. I was so worried. Try to think really positive thoughts and imagine everything going perfectly. Easier said than done, I know. I'll be thinking of you - keep us updated!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisoula View Post

My first appt. is tomorrow and I'm super nervous.  By dates I will be 7.2, but I've had some brown spotting.  I know everyone says that is normal, but since this is #4 for me and I had no spotting with the first 3, I am a little freaked out.  I really hope everything is okay....



 

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithA View Post

Lisoula, I feel for you! I know how nerve wracking it can be. I was so worried. Try to think really positive thoughts and imagine everything going perfectly. Easier said than done, I know. I'll be thinking of you - keep us updated! 

 


Well -  I'm not exactly sure what to think after my appt.  I told her about the spotting, and during my pelvic exam she said my uterus is definitely enlarged appropriately for pregnancy.  So they did a transvaginal ultrasound, and it showed that my uterine lining is nice & thick like it should be for pregnancy.  But, she couldn't be sure if she saw a yolk sac or not, that she saw some definite "thickening" that could be yolk sac, but she did not see anything "in" it.  Sooooo.......they drew an HCG, and I'll have another one drawn Friday, then a follow-up appt. Monday.  I really think I am right on my dates, but I'm almost hoping I'm not.  If I'm earlier than 7.2, then it's possible that it's too early to see a yolk sac & embryo in it.  I have had NO cramping, and the spotting is still intermittent and usually just scant amounts of brown.  Even if I'm earlier than I thought, though, it's too late for the spotting to be implantation bleeding compared to when I got the BFP.  I do not want to wait until Monday to know what is going on, but I really have no choice.  I'm almost sure it's not ectopic....at 7 weeks I would think I would have abdominal pain if it were.  I don't know how I'll make it until Monday.

 

post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 

Lisoula, hug2.gif, I don't really know what to make of that either. Enlarged uterus with thick uterine lining sound like a good sign. It sounds like you're earlier than you thought you were. I know it is so hard to wait through the weekend for such important information! Try to keep yourself busy - I hope the weekend flies by for you!! (((HUGS)))

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithA View Post

Lisoula, hug2.gif, I don't really know what to make of that either. Enlarged uterus with thick uterine lining sound like a good sign. It sounds like you're earlier than you thought you were. I know it is so hard to wait through the weekend for such important information! Try to keep yourself busy - I hope the weekend flies by for you!! (((HUGS)))



Thank you Meredith.  I have a feeling it's over.  I'll still do the bloodwork tomorrow and follow-up on Monday, but I just have a bad feeling.  I've had spotting almost daily for 10 days, almost always dark brown, but today it's more reddish.  I never have ANY spotting when I am pregnant.  Still no cramping though.  I hate being in limbo like this.  greensad.gif

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: May 2012 Birth Club
Mothering › Groups › May 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › Nervous about heartbeat ap