or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › Anyone else have a "puker"? (possible allergies)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone else have a "puker"? (possible allergies) - Page 2

post #21 of 64

My DS (3 weeks old) is a spitter, and I think it's getting more painful for him just like your LO. Last night he screamed every time he tried to nurse. DS1 did this and was diagnosed with reflux. I'm praying this one doesn't have it too. Have to admit, I havent been strict on my allergy free diet. OH - and there's the overactive let down that chokes him every time he tries to nurse. Wish I could enjoy those wonderful nursing moments other moms talk about. All I get lately is a screaming, puking, hungry-but-can't-eat, baby.

 

I'm usually a non-medicating mom, but I'm seriously considering Zantac. It's preferrable to formula though. And if it works like you say, Babycakes, it might be an option for us.  Any one think it would work if *I* took the Zantac and he got it in my breastmilk?

post #22 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post

My DS (3 weeks old) is a spitter, and I think it's getting more painful for him just like your LO. Last night he screamed every time he tried to nurse. DS1 did this and was diagnosed with reflux. I'm praying this one doesn't have it too. Have to admit, I havent been strict on my allergy free diet. OH - and there's the overactive let down that chokes him every time he tries to nurse. Wish I could enjoy those wonderful nursing moments other moms talk about. All I get lately is a screaming, puking, hungry-but-can't-eat, baby.

 

I'm usually a non-medicating mom, but I'm seriously considering Zantac. It's preferrable to formula though. And if it works like you say, Babycakes, it might be an option for us.  Any one think it would work if *I* took the Zantac and he got it in my breastmilk?


I have been worried about my daughter possibly having reflux. She seems very distressed when she spits up, but doesn't fuss when nursing, so I don't know. She is generally very happy and doesn't cry much at all, so I'm trying to wait it out.

 

According to Dr. Hale, the concentration of Zantac in breastmilk is too low to be effective on the baby. However, I took a 150mg dose last night because I had heartburn. I normally take Prevacid because I have GERD, but while breastfeeding, I try to live on Zantac because it's an L2 and Prevacid is an L3 drug. So, I took the Zantac last night and noticed a big difference in my daughter. She hardly spit up all night, Maybe it's just a coincidence, but my opinion is, it's worth a try.

 

post #23 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post

 Wish I could enjoy those wonderful nursing moments other moms talk about. All I get lately is a screaming, puking, hungry-but-can't-eat, baby.

 

I just said to DH last night that I can't wait for him to outgrow this, and for nursing to be easy -- but I don't want to wish away the next 4 months!  LOL!!  I hope it doesn't take that long to get a good groove on.  I know these first weeks are always rough but I'm over the drama of all this spitup and OAL.  I can't exactly take out my bewb and hand express at let down when I'm out and about, you know?  

 

Tear - chocolate, huh?  I could def live w/o onions, but man, that chocolate....I'd prob keep testing too!  LOL!  Actually since starting weight watchers, I haven't had any chocolate (yet) and I've not seen a difference.  But it's only been a few days.  Maybe I'll give it a shot.  Who knows?

post #24 of 64


NAK
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

I have been worried about my daughter possibly having reflux. She seems very distressed when she spits up, but doesn't fuss when nursing, so I don't know. She is generally very happy and doesn't cry much at all, so I'm trying to wait it out.

 

According to Dr. Hale, the concentration of Zantac in breastmilk is too low to be effective on the baby. However, I took a 150mg dose last night because I had heartburn. I normally take Prevacid because I have GERD, but while breastfeeding, I try to live on Zantac because it's an L2 and Prevacid is an L3 drug. So, I took the Zantac last night and noticed a big difference in my daughter. She hardly spit up all night, Maybe it's just a coincidence, but my opinion is, it's worth a try.

 


One of the main symptoms of reflux is baby screaming at the breast and arching the back. Also, they will (attempt to) over eat to take the sting out of the throat. If she's eating fine, it might not be a case requiring meds. 

 

DH just bought a baby pillow type thingy for reflux. I'm waiting for it to offgas and then I'm going to test it out. Put him in it for about 30 minutes today (to free up my hands) and he did great.

 

Interesting about your DD's possible reaction to the Zantac. And as for not much getting into the breastmilk, maybe a 7-10 lb baby might not need much to help reduce the symptoms? 

 

OK screaming baby here...
 

 

 



 

post #25 of 64

DS was screaming and then he projectile vomited twice. Now DH is giving me a little break while he walks around with him. I totally know what you mean about wanting this to be over with. DS1 was *much* worse than DS2 and I wished away over a year for him to get better. I'm hoping it will be quicker with this guy.

 

ROTFLMAO.gifI'd love to be able to get over the drama too. DH asked me if I would be coming to church this Sunday. I can't imagine all of the things I would have to do to nurse this guy on a full breast in church. 1 - go into the car 2- lay on back seat 3- grab two pillows 4 - hand express 5- hope no one looks into the window!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

 

I just said to DH last night that I can't wait for him to outgrow this, and for nursing to be easy -- but I don't want to wish away the next 4 months!  LOL!!  I hope it doesn't take that long to get a good groove on.  I know these first weeks are always rough but I'm over the drama of all this spitup and OAL.  I can't exactly take out my bewb and hand express at let down when I'm out and about, you know?  

 

Tear - chocolate, huh?  I could def live w/o onions, but man, that chocolate....I'd prob keep testing too!  LOL!  Actually since starting weight watchers, I haven't had any chocolate (yet) and I've not seen a difference.  But it's only been a few days.  Maybe I'll give it a shot.  Who knows?



 

post #26 of 64

Both of my girls were major pukers....especially our youngest. It would soak me and her everytime. Both of my girls are gluten, dairy, and soy intolerant. A little spitting up is normal but when it goes to that extent then I would think something is causing it. I think the stats say that about 50% of babies that react to dairy will react to soy as well, the proteins are very similar.

post #27 of 64

My son was/is a puker, my daughter, not so much.  BuggaBoo would puke all the time, and smile while doing it.  So creepy.  He also nursed constantly, 18-24 times a day, and still nurses 6-12 times a day. He cut his first teeth at 3.5 months and because of the constant acid bath he now looks like he has bottle rot because two of his upper teeth are almost gone.  He will still spit up sometimes if he nurses a lot and then runs around, and the other day he told me he throws up a little several times a week.

 

Looking back on it I now know that he has reflux, but because he never screamed we didn't think he was in pain.  But he's very high needs, he needed a lot of holding and snuggling and nursing and sleeping together and staying latched at night, so I don't know why I didn't make the connection.  Probably because he was my first.

post #28 of 64
Thread Starter 

Puke has been so minimal the past few days that I tried sidelying nursing him in the bed this morning.  Mind you, I've been sleeping on a very uncomfortable couch with him in the crook of my arm for like 2 weeks, so the bed was a huge risk.  He's never been able to lay flat.  But, anyway, I tried it.  Seemed ok.  He nursed for a good couple minutes, popped off, burped a little.  I breathed a sigh of relief and I dozed back off -- and was woken about 5 min later by a MAJOR puke event all over me, out his nose, all over the bed.  UGHGHGH!  I'm so over this!!  What kind of baby CAN'T EAT??!  This is just madness!!

 

surrender.gif

post #29 of 64

This may not be the case for the OP but may be some help to others - my fourth was a puker but it was always just foremilk that she spattered everywhere, not a creamy mix. I considered reflux and food sensitivities but it was block feeding that fixed it meaning we were finally able to get out and about and feed without worrying about someone elses's floors/carpet/walls/sofa!

 

Block feeding means not switching sides every feed but keeping to the same breast for a fixed amount of time then switching for another block and then back. In the beginning you need to do short blocks of an hour or so to get your milk production to get used to a change but the puking stopped completely when I managed to get to blocks of 3-4 hours or even a bit longer.

 

HTH

post #30 of 64

I've been doing the block feeding and my supply is going down. It's actually perfect right now!  Not meaning to hijack, but does any one know when it's safe to stop the block feeding. And do you do it gradually?

post #31 of 64
I block fed for a few months as far as I recall (dd is now 5 so it was a while ago!) It got to be a habit that worked so I didn't stop doing it until her feeds spaced out a bit on their own. I always fed her on demand and never restricted times or frequency - I just used each side for longer.

There is more about this on kellymom and more links there too.
post #32 of 64
Thread Starter 

Yup, block feeding here too.  It does help with the choking out and sputtering and spitting up during a feeding, but doesn't help with the spitting up 20-30 min after a feeding or from waking up from a nap.  But yes, it's a GREAT tool to have in your belt!

post #33 of 64

My supply is slowly going down. Tonight there wasn't enough for him! I'm definitely going to have to decrease the blocks. Right now I'm at 4 hours, I may go to 3 for now. I will check out that link at Kellymom. Thanks for the info!

 

Babycakes, have you tried holding him upright for 30 minutes after each feeding? That has been helping my LO with the spitting up.

post #34 of 64
Thread Starter 

Yup.  In fact, most of the time when I keep him upright, he pukes immediately.  I'm still figuring out what makes him erupt -- sometimes it's laying, sometimes it's being held upright.  It's confusing.  I'm trying to just expect it no matter what and if it doesn't happen be incredibly happy.  

 

Can anyone else relate to this?  You burp the baby, nice burp - dry in fact, hooray!! - put baby back on the bewb and.....puke on the boob and all down the side.  UGH.  I think that's one of the worst attacks.  It's so stealth.

post #35 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Yup.  In fact, most of the time when I keep him upright, he pukes immediately.  I'm still figuring out what makes him erupt -- sometimes it's laying, sometimes it's being held upright.  It's confusing.  I'm trying to just expect it no matter what and if it doesn't happen be incredibly happy.  

 

Can anyone else relate to this?  You burp the baby, nice burp - dry in fact, hooray!! - put baby back on the bewb and.....puke on the boob and all down the side.  UGH.  I think that's one of the worst attacks.  It's so stealth.


Absolutely had this happen all the time. My son puked in any position. Once he was laying on the bed as happy as can be while I was next to him reading a book. I leaned over and kissed him and spit up right in my mouth. Yuck!
post #36 of 64

ha...my girl was the same for 2 months straight.  but not just spitting but projectile vomiting.  we went to 3 doctors and everyone said she was fine no big deal.  yeah no big deal....you try cleaning up everything she ate as it spewed out of her 6 ft in front like a hose.  it was gross.  came to find out it was my fault...overactive let down....she had to drink to much to fast which sent her stomach into spasms.   i have never been happier as the day she stopped it.  couldnt go out anywhere since you could not contain it!    good luck!

post #37 of 64

Hi everybody!

It's my first post here, but I've been a member for months...

I sooooo relate to this...My 7mo DD is not a great puker (just a bit of puke here and there...)

but she started screaming and crying terribly after each feeding when she was 3mo. It was evident

the acid was burning her, and we started with Zantac. I don't like medications, but I don't know

what we'd done without this. I'm worried because we're still on it and the ped told me to stop in 

a couple of weeks to check if she still needs it. I'm afraid she still does, but I cross my fingers.

 

Anyway, what I wanted to tell you is that, apart from dairy and any other food allergens, have you

considered tongue tie? Tongue tie is related to several digestive and feeding issues. It's logical: the 

way you move (o can't move) your tonge, influences the way the rest of the upper digestive system works.

There's a link explaining it all, but can't find it right now. 

You talk about leaky boobs and oversupply: this is also a symptom of tongue tie. Since the breast "notices" that

the baby nurses ineffectively, it tries to compensate by a stronger letdown and producing more milk. Isn't nature clever?

My baby has a tongue tie (not the obvious one, hers is rather hidden) and I'm pretty sure her reflux is caused by that. I don't eat

dairy, soy, chocolate...and still she has reflux. I hope it gets better, anyway.

 

So: did any of you experience other breastfeeding problems, such as sore nipples, poor latch, etc? It's not that it's going to change

your situation, but sometimes, knowing the cause helps.

 

 

post #38 of 64
Thread Starter 

If he has one, he doesn't have an obvious tongue tie, not anything I can see or tell.  He sometimes makes a clicking sound with letdown, though, which I read is a sign.  I don't have any soreness (it lasted in the beginning a couple of days, but that was it) and I had oversupply with DD too.  

 

Ok - last night I fed him and then picked him up to burp.  He wouldn't.  I could not get a burp out of him and he was scooting back down toward the boob.  I knew better, but still, I went to put him back on the boob and BAM puke all over my lap!  It soaked right through my pants and for the first time I had to change my underwear! lol.gif

post #39 of 64

My story started exactly like all of yours...spitting up alot but not fussy, couple weeks later started getting fussy and arching back and screaming, etc.

 

Our pedi prescribed Zantac but I was in denial since that was just the time she wasn't fussy, and just gave it to her off and on for about 3 weeks.  Then she started to get fussy and scream.  Finally, I realized it wasn't getting better so gave it to her consistently and it helped a lot.  She went for 2 mo well child and she had trace amt of blood in stool which indicates a protein allergy.  So they switched her to Prevacid since it is supposed to work better for babies with reflux and protein allergies...didn't ask her logic behind it though.  She takes half a pill once a day and it was good but she would still have random screaming and arching back spells and foam/blow bubbles/droll alot, even when she wasn't nursing.  The pedi had told me if once a day doesn't work then we would move to twice a day since that is the first thing the gastro doc would do at the children's hospital. 

 

In the meantime, I bought her an amber teething necklace.  And within 1-2 weeks there was no more screaming, back arching, or bubbles.  The sitter is actually the one to point it out to me.  I was talking to a chrio the other day and she said it makes sense that it would help since the acid causes the esophagus to be inflamed and the succinic acid from the amber helps with inflammation.  I think the necklace saved us from uping her to twice a day Prevacid.

 

Also, I'm dairy free.  It helped a little but not enough.  And the gastro doc here does recommend cutting dairy and soy both since the probability of having soy allergy is very high among the children that have a dairy allergy. 

post #40 of 64
Thread Starter 

Someone suggested hazelwood necklaces to me too.

 

http://hazelaid.com/C_Home.html

 

I'm thinking about it...I have an amber necklace for teething so I'm not sure if I want to get the combo or just the hazelwood, or just wait it out...?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Allergies
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › Anyone else have a "puker"? (possible allergies)