or Connect
Mothering › Groups › August 2011 Birth Club › Discussions › Things I'm proud of

Things I'm proud of

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 

We have our confession thread, but let's try to feed good, too!

I'm proud that since having him home, he's only had cloth diapers. He cried so much in the hospital with every diaper change so as soon as we came home we put him in cloth. He started to cry and then got quiet really quick. "What's this?!" ;)

 

I'm proud that I'm not using supplementation (though I would in a second if he needed it - he got a bottle of formula when he was starving the once, I don't think poorly of it) or any artificial nipples now. We had those two hellish days from my milk not coming in when we had to pump and bottle feed every two hours and then once he got a bottle of pumped milk because I'd eaten chili powder in my food and my milk even burned -my- mouth, but otherwise, just me.

 

And I'm proud of the fact that I'm keeping his diaper laundry done! That's amazing, I hate laundry.

 

We might eat far more peanutbutter and jelly and *cough* McDonald's, than is reasonable, but. I'm doing well on the things that matter the most to me :)

post #2 of 56

Oh, I need this thread!  The silver lining to all this nonsense.

 

At the end of the day, my kids are alive and fed, and mostly happy.

 

I'm proud that I'm wearing him a lot more than I did with my first.  I failed at it the first time around and lugged that bucket carseat everywhere.  This time I'm really making good use of my sling and wrap.

 

 

post #3 of 56

I've been using cloth, as well (as soon as the disposables given to us at the hospital ran out). And I've been keeping up with all our laundry, including diaper laundry for 2. I've also been doing a decent job since DH returned to work last Wednesday. Monday and Tuesday are the hardest weekdays for me because DH has class on those days and gets home super late, but I'm holding it together and caring for both children--even if I'm not cooking tons of super healthy meals and even if the living room & bedroom haven't been vacuumed in 3 weeks. Plus, I'm continuing to declutter, which I was afraid I would fall behind on.

 

Thanks for starting this thread, Becky. smile.gif

post #4 of 56
Magnolia's been in cloth since her second or third day home -after we finished up the pack of disposables the hospital sent. I hate doing laundry, but I determined to keep her in cloth until potty training. I feel like I failed at everything else, so I'm determined to see cloth diapers through.

We've always attended to her needs in 30 seconds or less (usually less))- except for the day I was in the shower and didn't hear her. As much as I miss working, I'm so thankfully I can be home with her everyday to take care of her and not having to worry that someone else is letting her cry.
post #5 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

 once he got a bottle of pumped milk because I'd eaten chili powder in my food and my milk even burned -my- mouth, 


I never thought to try my bm after eating spicy food... I guess I'm proud that DS can handle lots of spice like his mama!

 

I'm proud of the fact that I'm bfing so well. After thrush, mastitis and mystery pain, we are still going strong.

 

I'm also proud that I'm still eating healthy and not looking at the scale so much.

post #6 of 56

I feel good about staying very functional (most of the time).  I had a lot of post partum help.  My mom was here for 15 days and DH didn't go back till 1 1/2 months after Rafe was born.

 

I'm able to go out on a regular basis with him whether it be shopping or church or just to visit.  DS is so cooperative and such a good baby. 

 

We are doing well breastfeeding (except some minor over supply issues--green poop on occasion).  EC is also progressing well.  I've kept up on our and diaper laundry which isn't always easy.  DH and I had a ton of laundry pre baby so to be able to keep up with the extra makes me feel good. 

 

I think I've had his cues figured out for a while now.  I can tell his hunger cry from his I have to go potty cry and I'm just plain tired cry so that feels good.

 

I would like my house to be more in order but hey...you can't win them all.  Right?

 

 

post #7 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

At the end of the day, my kids are alive and fed, and mostly happy.


Hah!  I was opening this thread to reply that both of my kids are alive and not crying right now ROTFLMAO.gif

 

I'm really proud of how I handled our hospital stay with Martha.  Both DH and I were tired and terrified, but we didn't fight.  I cried quite a bit, but I also made sure that during all of Martha's needles and tests that I kept a calm voice.  I only broke down in private in the bathroom.  I didn't leave her side.  I made sure to breastfeed openly and often.  I didn't let her sleep in the crib like they wanted -- I had her share a bed with me like I KNEW she needed.  I made everyone who came in that room check with me first before touching my baby.  I was strong and (mostly) collected, and for that I am very proud.

 

post #8 of 56

I'm proud of:

 

-not giving up nursing after 5, now 6, bouts of mastitis (though probably the same infection coming back)

-DS is in cloth all the time unless I run out and have to do laundry...then it's just a couple sposie dipes that day

-I tend to him immediately and he never needs to cry

 

post #9 of 56
I'm proud that i've finally figured out how to be alone with both of my children for entire days without losing my mind. This includes getting them and me all ready for the day, out the door, and out & about running errands for a good portion of the day at times! I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to do it and it's been fine.


---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBe View Post

I'm proud of:

 

-not giving up nursing after 5, now 6, bouts of mastitis (though probably the same infection coming back)

-DS is in cloth all the time unless I run out and have to do laundry...then it's just a couple sposie dipes that day

-I tend to him immediately and he never needs to cry

 


I tend to mine immediately, but he insists on crying anyway ;) "I wanted that nipple FIVE SECONDS AGO!"

I am SO sorry and SO appalled about your poor boobs! I hope it goes away very quickly.

 

post #11 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by egmaranian View Post

I'm proud that i've finally figured out how to be alone with both of my children for entire days without losing my mind. This includes getting them and me all ready for the day, out the door, and out & about running errands for a good portion of the day at times! I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to do it and it's been fine.


---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


You're my hero. This is one of my biggest fears. I've had DH take time off work to go to appointments with me so far because I'm so afraid I can't handle it alone.

 

post #12 of 56

I'm proud of the fact that I managed to birth my sweet baby boy at HOME, and that I pushed him out in only 20 minutes despite a nucal arm being in the way.

 

I'm proud of the fact that both my baby boys seem to be surviving being home alone with Mama all day. We all manage to be fed, watered and appropriately napped (for the boys anyway) before Daddy gets home from work every day.

 

I'm proud of the fact that I am managing to stay on top of caring for 2 boys only 15 months apart in age when its only been 2 weeks since DS2 was born.

 

I'm also proud that I can now pee without crying.

post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by egmaranian View Post

I'm proud that i've finally figured out how to be alone with both of my children for entire days without losing my mind. This includes getting them and me all ready for the day, out the door, and out & about running errands for a good portion of the day at times! I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to do it and it's been fine.
 


bow.gif  Go you!!  This is much harder for me than I thought it would be.  I didn't fear it ahead of time, and in reality it's giving me a lot of trouble!  So go you!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post


You're my hero. This is one of my biggest fears. I've had DH take time off work to go to appointments with me so far because I'm so afraid I can't handle it alone.

 

 

yeahthat.gif  I make him watch DD and I take Finn with me to Target or to the food store.  The baby is easy.  It's the toddler I can't seem to handle!!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

I'm proud of the fact that I managed to birth my sweet baby boy at HOME, and that I pushed him out in only 20 minutes despite a nucal arm being in the way.

 

I'm proud of the fact that both my baby boys seem to be surviving being home alone with Mama all day. We all manage to be fed, watered and appropriately napped (for the boys anyway) before Daddy gets home from work every day.

 

I'm proud of the fact that I am managing to stay on top of caring for 2 boys only 15 months apart in age when its only been 2 weeks since DS2 was born.

 

I'm also proud that I can now pee without crying.



joy.gif  I'm proud OF YOU for all those things!!  Yay mama!!

post #14 of 56
It took me 5 weeks of having my mil here every day helping with ds1, me going out several times alone with ds2 to get my routine down, and then slowly transitioning to managing them both at the same time to make it work. I never would have been able to do it in the first few weeks when ds1 was HORRIBLE with not napping or eating and the monster tantrums. We're all in a better place now that Alexander is nearly 7 wks old.


---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 56

I went grocery shopping with DS yesterday, and it was my first outing with just the two of us! I've been dreading going out with him because he screams so hard in the car that he turns bright red (that kid can hold his breath for a LONG time) and my heart shatters. But there were no tears until we we pulled up in the driveway on the way home. I put him in the sling, put away the cold stuff, and left the rest in the car while we nursed.  Maybe I'll get brave again and go to Target today....

post #16 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post




I tend to mine immediately, but he insists on crying anyway ;) "I wanted that nipple FIVE SECONDS AGO!"

I am SO sorry and SO appalled about your poor boobs! I hope it goes away very quickly.

 


Thanks Becky.  I just realized that how I stated my stuff may have come off bad.  I hope I didn't imply that if your (or anyone's) baby cries, it's because they didn't tend to them immediately.  Elliott is just a really mellow guy and he will just usually let out a little bark (lol) and I'm on it.  The only time I've heard him cry is when he had a burp that's stuck or in the car when I did one too many errands and we're almost home and he's starving.  Even then I usually pull over and feed him because it makes me so sad to hear him cry.  I think it's because he rarely cries that when he does, it's more dramatic for me. :)

 

post #17 of 56

I'm proud of having planned a VBAC and of having come so close to succeeding. And that even after ending up with a CBAC and being faced with single-parenting two kids without much help after the surgery, I haven't lost my mind but steadily gotten things under control. I'm also proud of recognizing that I was slipping back into PPD a few weeks ago and doing something about it immediately. In short, I'm proud of staying on top of things! 

post #18 of 56

I am proud about keeping dd in cloth full time.  Even though it means washing them in my apartment (with no washer) and hang drying them.

 

I am happy about how much milk I pumped for dd while she was in the NICU both times.

 

I feel great about the nanny that dd now has.  If she can't be with me, then this is a very close second.

 

I am very proud of how I have held it together through all of these court dates, and the stress of getting my daughter back.  I also give myself credit for how well I have handled other people's judgement towards the situation (people who know nothing about it)  I am letting things roll of my back and just sucking it up and doing what needs to be done to humor them and get her home already.

 

The best thing is how much more mellow I am with this baby.  It has made for a better me/mom.  I don't stress over every little squeek anymore and I've relaxed about a lot of things.  The baby is still just fine and I am more sane for it.  Things really do get easier when you've had a lot of babies. 

post #19 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post

I am proud about keeping dd in cloth full time.  Even though it means washing them in my apartment (with no washer) and hang drying them.

 

I am happy about how much milk I pumped for dd while she was in the NICU both times.

 

I feel great about the nanny that dd now has.  If she can't be with me, then this is a very close second.

 

I am very proud of how I have held it together through all of these court dates, and the stress of getting my daughter back.  I also give myself credit for how well I have handled other people's judgement towards the situation (people who know nothing about it)  I am letting things roll of my back and just sucking it up and doing what needs to be done to humor them and get her home already.

 

The best thing is how much more mellow I am with this baby.  It has made for a better me/mom.  I don't stress over every little squeek anymore and I've relaxed about a lot of things.  The baby is still just fine and I am more sane for it.  Things really do get easier when you've had a lot of babies. 

 

Congrats, Melaya, I'm so glad she is back with her mama where she belongs!
 

 

post #20 of 56


Not yet...but supposedly by around Halloween.  That's hope nobody is lying again and it actually happens this time. praying.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post



 

Congrats, Melaya, I'm so glad she is back with her mama where she belongs!
 

 



 

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2011 Birth Club
Mothering › Groups › August 2011 Birth Club › Discussions › Things I'm proud of