or Connect
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › The BIRTH STORY Thread


post #1 of 121
Thread Starter 

babyf.gif  Welcome to the World November Due Date Babies!!!  babyf.gif

joy.gif  Congratulations Mamas!!!  joy.gif


Please share your birth stories with us and include lots of pictures of your adorable bundle(s) of joy!



LunaLady- Christina: 9/19, baby boy Rhyko

Bubbagirl- Becca: 9/24, baby girl



Gemini529- : 10/26, baby boy

LexiDrewMama- Jessica: 10/26, baby girl Alexia

Ajbaby- : 10/27, baby girl Emily Paige, 9:04 pm, 3 minutes before midwife got here, 6 lbs 4 oz and 19"

Meb2- Morgan: 10/27, baby boy Ezra Ryan was born at 6:46 PM after 2 hours and 46 minutes of labor

Berry987- Lindsey: 10/30, baby girl Stella Beatrix born at 4:16am

TTCChloeorConner- Nicole: 10/31 baby boy Conner Dean, 8lbs2oz. 20'' long. 6:14pm


Early November

Seraf- Sara: 11/1, baby boy Shay born in the car, 8lb14oz

Mal85- Mallory: 11/2, baby girl Greta

Juliensiss: 11/2 baby boy Landon Henry, 8am.  7 14 and 20.5 inches long

EonJourney- Nicole: 11/3, identical twin boys Ember Trail 5.7 oz and Roam Freely 5.6 oz

SoCaliMommy- Kami: 11/4 baby boy Harlan Drake,  6:48pm at 10lbs even 21 1/2"

Ablemec- Mishy: 11/7 baby boy

Autumnshades- Sonja: 11/7, baby boy Elijah Matthias, 6:25am, 6 lbs 10 oz, 20 inches long

1Love4Ever- : 11/9, baby boy Roger, 9lb 5oz, 22in

rhombus- April: 11/9, baby boy Ulysses

Lula's Mom- Kristi: 11/10 baby boy, 5:30 this morning

MrsKatie- Katie: 11/10, baby girl Catherine Anne was born at 1:21pm.  7lbs 10oz and 21 inches long. 


Mid November

Lula's Mom- Kristi: 11/11, baby boy Leonidas Ronan

Jill the Pill- Jill: 11/11, baby girl Audrey Catharine 6lbs 5oz 19 inches long

miriam_bat_avraham- Julie: 11/11, twin girls

TalkToMeNow- Amanda: 11/12, baby boy Jasper Conley, 12:42 pm,  8 lbs 11 oz.

Paigekitten- Katie: 11/12, baby girl Eowyn Jane, 6:09 pm, 8 lbs 3.9 oz, 21 inches

Caracol8- Michele: 11/12, baby boy Sebastian David, 1:52am, 8lbs 4ozs, 21in

FaithF- Faith: 11/13, baby girl Aria Rain, 3:06 am, 6 lb 7 oz.

KayPea- Kirsten: 11/13, baby boy Oren Edward Adams, 5:45pm, 9lbs 11oz, 21 in long, 15in head!

Chena4- : 11/14 baby girl, born in the car 9:47pm

Augustmom- : 11/14, baby boy Sean Bennett, 9.3oz

mommy2sage- : 11/15, baby boy Storm Noonday, 8:26pm, 9 pounds 6 ounces, 20.5 inches

LiLStar- Rachel: 11/16, baby boy Evan Curtis, 11 lbs even. 15 inch head, nuchal hand, arm behind his back

Beccawprice- : 11/16, baby boy Theodore was 8 lb 6 oz, 21 in long

Xakana- : 11/16, baby girl Katarina Xylia, 11:42am, weighing 8lbs, 13oz, 20"

crazykittymomma- Sarah: 11/17, baby girl Anya Kathryn, 5:37am

Krystal323- Krystal: 11/18, baby boy Oliver Davis, UC

IwannaBanRN- Becky: 11/19, baby boy Levi Jaxon, 10:50am, UC

2011mama- MK: 11/19, baby boy, 2:17 a.m. , 9 lbs., 2 oz., 21 in

Keanusmomma- Rachel: 11/ , baby girl Juniper Willow

Mommy55- ML: 11/19, baby boy William Alan


Late November

mleh99- Emily: 11/21, baby girl Ella Lorraine, 8lbs 2oz, 18 1/2 inches

Mamabelle- Michelle: 11/22, baby girl Iris Elizabeth, 8lbs, 9oz and 20 inches long at 9:06am

Octanebeetle27- Wendy: 11/23, baby boy Jacob Bruce, 8lbs 8oz

Amanitamama- : 11/23, baby boy Alastair Corvus, 5:12am, unintentionally unassisted

mcacat- Catherine: 11/23, baby girl Margot Anne, 9 minutes of active labour at home!

meesh933- Michele: 11/24, baby boy Jack Lennox, 3:04 am, 9lb9oz

Code Name Mama- Dionna: 11/24, baby girl Ailia Genevieve, 4:15a.m.

jbk21- J: 11/24, baby boy Dylan Timothy born in the caul

Motivated Mama- Nina: 11/24, baby

dashley111- Ash:  11/24, baby girl Bettie Grey, 7:03pm, 7lbs15oz, 21"

birdhappy85- Joanie:  11/24, baby girl Sora Nina, 3:39pm, 7lb 6oz, 19-1/2 in long

BananaBreadGirl- : 11/24, baby boy Malachi

Viriditas- Amy: 11/25, baby girl Evelyn, 7:54 PM, 8 lbs 10 oz, 21 1/2 inches

jasmin85- Jasmin: 11/28, baby boy, 8:36pm, 10lb 15oz

KaliShanti- Kali: 11/29, baby boy Enoch Noble Grandison , 8 lbs 7 oz. 21.25 in, 11:45pm

munchymum- : 11/29, baby girl Sylvie, 12:16 pm



abraisme- Abra: 12/1, baby girl Coralie Katherine, 8lbs1oz, 19.75", 2pm

musicmama08 - Crystal: 12/1, baby girl Clara Evelyn, 9 lbs

Jaimee: 12/3, baby boy Avery River, 6lbs14oz, 21", 4:21pm

Willsmomm- Brittney: 12/4, baby boy Clayton Isaac, 10:14 p.m.

MrsVyky- Vyky: 12/12, baby girl Olive, 5:09pm

Edited by Jaimee - 12/18/11 at 3:23pm
post #2 of 121

I just wanted to point out that this is thrilling and terrifying!  I remember being so excited when the December DDC popped up because we weren't the total newbies, and now this.  Oh my!

post #3 of 121


Warning: Long Ass Birthstory (Click to show)


I had a massage scheduled for Friday morning at the student clinic, but when I got up that morning I just really felt I couldn’t do it. I had gone for the clinic on Wednesday morning just fine, but Friday felt different. At one point that day when I was going pee I thought to myself, “I wonder what it will be like when my water breaks… I feel like that’s going to be today. I’m crazy! What am I talking about??”

Brandon and I decided to go out to eat for dinner and I thought Gyros sounded really good. We went to our favorite Greek place and because it was busy there, we took our Gyros to-go and ate them on the back porch table. It was a very nice and relaxing dinner.

We started a movie after dinner and I was relaxing on the couch when I felt a bubble of liquid leak and I thought I’d gotten too relaxed and was about to pee my pants. I instantly got up and said I needed to use the bathroom – but when I got up more liquid came out and as I hurried to the bathroom I yelled out, “Why am I peeing?!” 

Once I reached the bathroom, a bit of a gush came out when I sat on the toilet. My underwear and yoga pants were wet enough that I felt I needed to change them. Brandon came to the bathroom looking quizzically at me and I proclaimed that I peed my pants. We both had a laugh at that and I put clean underwear on.  Not a moment later, another small gush and my underwear were wet again. It wasn’t funny anymore; I felt I knew what was going on, now. Being that I had just put on clean underwear, I looked at them and (sorry, TMI!) smelled it and there was no odor whatsoever. I was mortified. My water had broken. I was 31 weeks 6 days pregnant.

I burst into tears. I picked up my phone and called my midwife. She said I needed to go to the hospital ER. She said to try to be calm and that it was okay to take my time to gather some things to bring with me. She told me I would probably be there for more than a few days, so to bring toiletries and a change of clothes and anything else we might need. I took a shower while Brandon got things together. I put a washcloth in my underwear and we left.

We got in the car about an hour after my water broke and drove the ten minutes to the hospital. I called my parents on the way and they said they would be there as soon as possible. We parked in the ER parking garage and took the elevator up to the ER reception. I told the lady that my water had broken, and even before I’d finished my sentence, a security guard was behind me with a wheelchair and there was a sense of urgency to get me to the Birth Center.

At the Birth Center we went to the triage/emergency unit and I told the nurse my information and that my waters had broken. The triage unit was full, and I guess they also felt the urgency of our situation, so they put me in a birthing suite right away. I had to change into a hospital gown and was given an enormous pad and some stretchy ‘underwear’ to put on. I felt like I was wearing a diaper!

By this time it was about 10:30. My parents arrived and so did my midwife. I was feeling very overwhelmed and scared; not sure what was going to happen or why all of this was happening – too early.

Because I was seeing an independent midwife with the hopes of doing a homebirth, I didn’t have an OB at the hospital, so throughout my entire stay I saw the ‘hospitalists’ – whatever OB was on staff at any given time. The doctor on staff when I arrived was Dr. Czuk. She did a quick sterile vaginal exam and proclaimed my waters had in fact been broken, but my cervix was high, posterior and very closed – good news. She wanted to get me started on an IV for fluids and antibiotics to prevent (or treat) any infection.

Being that I have a needle phobia AND teensy, tiny veins, I was not looking forward to the IV. They brought in an ‘IV Services’ specialist and she completely mutilated my left hand/wrist. She poked me twice with no luck and then ‘got it’ – but when she turned on the fluids my wrist and forearm began to burn and puff; obviously filling with fluid. I was in some agonizing pain at that point and told she needed to take it out! Luckily she was called to the triage and my first nurse was able to calmly get my IV line in and draw blood for labs on the first try. As I am writing this, almost four weeks later, the bruises I sustained from the first lady have finally just gone away a few days ago.

An ultrasound tech came and they checked on baby and his fluid levels. Everything looked good – baby wasn’t in distress, his heartrate was fine and he was kicking and moving just like normal. He had a good fluid level for my waters having broken. The tech measured his leg bones and skull circumfrance and whatnot and asked me, “You sure of your due date? He’s measuring about three to four weeks ahead.” I said I was sure – there was only one weekend we could have conceived. He measured 35w4d – 36w2d and 5 pounds 14 oz.

I was hooked up to everything – fetal monitor, contraction monitor, IV with fluids and antibiotics BP cuff on my arm to take my BP every 15 minutes, pulsometer, and my temp was taken every half hour. As well, my blood glucose was taken because I had mentioned that I had been treating myself as if I had GD because I had found that my blood sugars rose quite a bit with consumption of carbs/sugars (I had been monitoring at home with a BG monitor).This was the routine for my full first night. I also received a series of steroid shots to help baby’s lungs mature if he needed to be delivered sooner rather than later. I didn’t sleep that night. Not only was there just so much happening to me with the machines and monitors and beeping and whatnot- but my mind was racing with thoughts of how completely unprepared we were! We didn’t even have the nursery put together – like AT ALL! And I hadn’t washed the baby clothes and diapers and the baby shower was in two weeks, so I didn’t have hardly anything as far as baby stuff went… Add to that that I was just reaching 32 weeks the next morning. It was too early! I was stressing!

The next morning the next on staff OB (Dr. Morton) came in and told me what would be happening. She said that for now my blood work and urinalysis looked good, but my BP was still high and I still had quite a bit of swelling in my feet/hands – so the threat of pre-eclampsia was there. They were not sure why my water broke; either it was PE related or GD related, or something else entirely – either way I was on bedrest. I could only get up to go to the bathroom. She ordered a GD test and so I had to gulp down the orange syrup and wait an hour. Blood draw revealed elevated BG levels – 240. I was ordered on a strict GD diet for the duration of my stay, and I would be poked four times a day to test my sugars. At almost noon on Saturday morning, I was finally allowed to eat. My diet would be one of the biggest concern for the duration of my hospital stay – as our normal diet at home consists of organic, local, grass fed, etc foods. Needless to say, the hospital fare was not what I was used to.

That weekend went by in a blur of sleepless nights and fitful napping interrupted by BP and BG taking, the fetal monitor needing to be adjusted every time I moved, and bathroom trip after bathroom trip because I was trying to drink tons of water to make sure I was well hydrated so baby would have enough fluid. All the while I continued to leak. I am started on two different oral antibiotics. My parents stay the weekend and my dad takes care of our dogs.

Monday morning and the doctor says she’s contacted the maternal fetal medicine clinic on campus (where I had my ultrasounds) and they have ordered an amniocentesis and ultrasound and that the only available time they had to see me was just then. Brandon had been at home having breakfast and letting the dogs out (he stayed with me in the hospital for the duration of my stay, but had to go home several times a day to let the dogs out) and so I called him and told him to meet me at the clinic. I was wheeled there by my nurse (the only time I left my room until I delivered) and Brandon arrived while I was waiting for the ultrasound tech to get the room ready.

The ultrasound showed baby was doing well, but the fluid levels were lower than they had been on Friday, but not alarmingly low. The doctor came in and spoke to us about doing the amnio and why they wanted to do it. She said that because I had been seen by the ER and birth center 8 weeks before for UTI/kidney issues that they had reason to fear that I might have an infection in my uterus which could have caused the rupture of membranes. She said that doing the amnio could tell us if there was something going on in there, or if we could buy more time and keep him inside. With tears, we decided to go ahead with it. The procedure was quick and only slightly painful, and I tried my very best to remain calm despite my fear of needles. It was a huge needle. After they collected the fluid for testing, the doctor said that on first glance the fluid looked good, the color was normal.

Back to the room.

Tuesday. I refuse the 3 hr GD test. The nutritionist comes to see me to discuss my GD diet. She informs me that I should have been given the GD test at least 48 hours after receiving the steroid shot – that the shot will spike blood sugar levels and give false positives. I had my GD test not 12 hours after getting my steroid shot. She tells me a bunch of stuff I know is bologna. She says I need to eat carbs at every meal. I’m sorry, but I thought I was supposed to be keeping my blood sugars down?! I had been monitoring my blood sugars at home for months and I knew what my body reacted to and what it didn’t. But, I nodded and smiled and listened to her American Diabetes Association food plan and promised to be a good patient. After she leaves, Brandon and I discuss how to get me food that’s actually good for me. In the meantime, I’m ordering from the hospital ‘room service’ menu things I know won’t spike my sugars. My sugars continue to be high on Tuesday and the first half of Wednesday, though not overly so. It’s also time for an IV change, which I am dreading. They bring in another (different) IV services nurse and she gets a good vein on the first try. I am so relieved.

Wednesday. The physical therapist comes to give me some stretches and whatnot to do. She’s impressed by my knowledge of muscles. I tell her I’m a massage therapist. The preliminary results of the amnio show no infection present. They will continue the culturing and report those results at a later date.

Thursday. I weigh myself (had Brandon bring our scale from home) and I’ve lost five pounds since coming to the hospital. I’m getting upset by the hospital food, but I’m not sure what to do about it. I feel like I can’t bring my own food in because I’m made to order the GD diet food from the hospital menu. And I am delivered a GD diet snack three times a day I’m supposed to eat (I think I only ate two of the dozen or more that I got). I share my concern with the nurse (Andriette) and she really feels for me. She has the nutritionist come back so that I tell her my concern. I was afraid the nutritionist would chastise me, but she shows her sympathy and commends me on valuing my nutrition. She says that usually she has a hard time getting her diabetic patients to eat three meals a day and not chips and pop for snacks. She is fine with Brandon bringing in meats for me, and she offers to go to the store and get me other things I feel comfortable eating. It was very kind. I felt a lot better after speaking with her. From this point on, I am eating mostly my own food with a base of hospital food (because I *have* to order something three times a day, GD diet rules.

Friday. I want to go home. I feel like I can take care of myself at home. I’m tired of being in the hospital and I want to eat all my own food and sleep in my own bed. I want to get ready for baby and see my cats and dogs. I’m feeling tired and done! Another IV change and this time it’s not so good. The IV services nurse (another different one) gives me one that’s painful and makes my arm ache. The doctor orders a PICC line to be put in the following day. (A PICC line is a large IV that they thread into a main artery and toward the heart. Mine was placed in the inside of my right upper arm and threaded for 40 centimeters into my artery toward my heart. With this they can draw blood for labs and delivery IV fluids/meds as necessary. And it can be in place for up to 30 days.) I am to keep a warm water ‘blanket’ on my arm for 48 hours to encourage good circulation. It’s very warm, and even with the AC on in my room (and all the nurses asking me if I’m warm enough because my room is so frigid) I’m still boiling. I forgo any modest and sleep naked besides my huge diaper of a pad.

Saturday. BP has been sky high over night, so the doctor (Dr. Sausbee) orders a blood panel. I get blood drawn and it’s sent to the lab with a stat order. A bit later the doctor returns and says that my blood panel showed elevated liver enzymes beyond what he’s comfortable with and that he’s contacted the maternal fetal medicine doctors for their opinion. They said that with the high BP, and the suddenly very elevated liver enzymes that I’m at risk of going into full blown eclampsia and should deliver. I call my parents and they come to the hospital. The PICC line is put in place. I’m terrified and crying and shaking and because it’s considered a sterile procedure, my parents and Brandon cannot be in the room. Luckily my nurse, Isa, is able to stay and she comforts me. The whole thing takes about an hour. The lady who put my bad IV in the day before is performing it. She’s crazy and rough and is making the procedure more painful than it needs to be, I think. Once in place, another blood draw is done and I’m started on a magnesium drip and IV fluids. The bolus of magnesium they give me at the start is intense and I’m suddenly burning hot and my arms and legs go tingly for a while. The magnesium is supposed to keep my BP down and prevent the seizures and strokes associated with eclampsia, but it’s also a muscle relaxer. Because of this I am now bedridden; I can’t get up even to pee. Even though I don’t feel like my legs are too tired to get up, it is doctor’s orders. I want to avoid a catheter, so I opt to try the bedpan. First attempt and I’m sitting in a puddle of my own urine by the end. I cry and just get the catheter. After the magnesium has been dripping for a few hours the doctor returns and starts a Pitocin drip as well. It takes several hours before I start to feel any cramping, and it feels manageable. By midnight, I’m feeling cramps that feel like menstrual cramps and they are ten or so minutes apart. I am able to get a few blinks of sleep between them.

Sunday. I’ve gotten a bit of sleep overnight because the contractions are not too bad, yet. I’m almost at the maximum dosage of Pitocin when finally the contractions intensify. It hits me like a ton of bricks and for the next seven hours I shake and rock and roll around in my bed trying my hardest to get comfortable and breathe away the pain. I’m still attached to: the fetal monitor, the contraction monitor, the magnesium drip, the Pitocin drip, the IV fluids, the catheter, the BP monitor and the lower leg compression devices to prevent clotting in my legs. It makes movement very difficult. Plus, the PICC line is so, so tender and I’m not comfortable laying on that side. The doctor checks me early Sunday afternoon after the six hours of hard contractions and says I’m just 1 centimeter dilated. He orders the Pitocin drip to stop and he’s going to start the doses of Cytotec once the contractions subside. It takes until after midnight before the contractions finally fade away.

Monday. About 1 am the (different) doctor comes in and tells me what their plan is. They are going to put this pill behind my cervix to help it soften and ripen. It may cause contractions to pick up, which is my body’s response to the cervix softening, he says. They will put the pill in every four hours, up to six doses. I tell him that I’m not sure I can do again what I had done the day before. I ask if I can just do a c-section. He tells me blankly that whether I want an elective c-section or do the cytotec, nothing is happening immediately. And, he says, the anesthesiologist isn’t going to be happy about coming in for an elective c-section in the middle of the night. I feel a bit foolish. They put the first dose in about 2am. I am able to get some sleep between BP and temperature checks. At 6am they insert the second dose. I’m feeling a few contractions, so I get some more sleep while I can. 10am and the next dose is put in. I start to feel some more contractions here and there, like menstrual cramps. The doctor checks me and I am 3 cm dilated. 2pm and another dose is inserted and the contractions pick up. Within a few hours the contractions are as strong and as frequent as the Pitocin contractions I experienced the day before. The doctor checks me again and I’m still just 3 cm. I’m crying and breaking down. I don’t think I can keep doing it. The pain is intense and I just cannot do again what I did the day before. It’s too much. I’m telling Brandon that I just want a c-section. I just want it done. I can’t do it anymore. I can’t take the pain and the everything attached to me and in me and on me and monitoring me. I want to be anywhere but there! Brandon calls his mom is talking to her about what’s going on. He’s accepted that I want a c-section and is telling her that. The tone of his voice and the look on his face is killing me, it’s more painful than the contractions. I feel like I’m letting him and myself down.  I don’t want a c-section, I really don’t – I know that the recovery will be horrible and I’ll likely have more trouble with my milk coming in and the baby won’t get the ‘birth canal massage’. I tell myself I can do it and that it will all be over before I know it. Sucking it up and pretending to ignore my fear of needles, I ask for an epidural. If I am going to do this, I am going to need pain relief. I will not be able to do it without it. An order is put in and about an hour later the anesthesiologist comes in and gives me the epidural. Brandon is there holding me, but he nearly faints and the nurse ends up having to tend to him. He lies on the floor and sips orange juice while the epidural catheter is placed in my spine. I feel pinching and stinging and sharp pains, but it’s soon gone and my legs start to feel like jell-o.

Within 30 minutes the pain of the contractions has lessened, but so have the contractions themselves. They drop off to ten minutes apart. I’m shattered. I was afraid of the epidural causing the contractions to subside, and even though I asked the nurses and the anesthesiologist, they both said it wouldn’t happen. It did. Brandon and my dad leave and get some dinner. Brandon is still shaken a bit by the epidural experience.

5pm. The doctor checks me again and I’m still just 3 cm dilated. The doctor orders the Pitocin drip put back in place. I’m put on a higher dose than the day before. I can feel the contractions – the tightening and the pressure, but not the splitting pain. I’m so thankful. I am able to sleep a bit between the contractions. He comes in again to check on me a few hours later and says that he’s not going to check my dilation again until the morning. He’s got a c-section to do, he says, and so he’ll be back in a few hours to see how I’m doing. Meanwhile, my mom says she wants to watch the season premier of dancing with the stars. I turn it on for her and Brandon reads (and watches the show). My contractions are getting more intense, and although I can’t feel pain, per se, I can feel the pressure. I close my eyes and begin going to another place. I envision my body doing what it needs to do – dilating and moving the baby down into the birth canal. With every contraction I embrace the pressure and do deep breathing to breathe the baby down. Between contractions I relax and open my eyes and watch a few silly dances and then resume my ‘meditation’ when the next contractions starts. I’m feeling the pressure build lower and lower and I tell the nurse. She says to tell her if I’m feeling lots of pressure in my bottom. I tell her I am feeling pressure there, I’m just not sure how much is ‘lots’. Just after the show got done (two hours later) the doctor comes back to check on me. The nurse tells him I’m feeling pressure in my bottom, and so he opts to check me, even though it’s only a quarter after 10pm.

This moment I will never forget. He checks me and announces, “You are 9 centimeters. We need to get you on a labor bed!” I am so relieved! I am laughing and smiling and so, so happy. A whole crew of people suddenly appear and I’m moved onto a labor bed (I was still in my more comfortable extended stay hospital bed). My legs work better than everyone expects, and I can move myself pretty well. Once on the labor bed, the doctor has me do a few practice pushes. He tells me to push into my bottom, like I have to poop. So, I do. I’m afraid I’m going to actually poop! He and the nurses all say how good I am doing with my pushes and there’s a sort of mad dash to get me to the delivery room. I have to deliver in one of the c-section rooms because there’s a direct pass through window to the NICU for my baby to go after he’s born. My mom and Brandon suit up in their operating room attire. We see my dad in the hallway; he’s just arrived from our house where he was sleeping and watching the dogs while I was laboring. We say hi and he takes a few pictures of us on our way.

Once we are in the delivery room and everything is set up, the doctor instructs me to push with my contractions. I am finding the pushing thing very easy and I am getting positive feedback from the nurses and doctor when I do seriously push like I’ve got some super constipation and am trying to get a big poop out. I feel silly, but it seems to be working! They say he’s crowing. A few pushes later and he slips right out in one push. He’s placed directly on my chest and instantly lets out a healthy cry. He’s reaching his arms out. Brandon cuts the cord; there’s no delayed cord clamping as we wanted – because he’s tied a true knot in his cord!

302062_10150275066007644_509062643_7477830_1578821779_n.jpgHe’s then whisked off to the NICU through a pass through window in the delivery room. I’m deliriously happy in the fact that I’ve delivered vaginally and that it’s all DONE! I proclaim that I want a milkshake J

We head back to the room and the nurse helps me get set up with the medela pump. I pump out 6 cc of colostrum. I feel very accomplished! I continue pumping every two-three hours and get about 15 cc of colostrum total over the next 24 hours. My milk is very slow to come in, but by the fourth day I’m getting an ounce per pumping! All my worry over milk supply was for naught.

Brandon was able to go visit Rhyko a few hours after he was born, but I had to wait until the epidural had faded enough for me to stand and get into a wheelchair. Brandon took a video on the camera of Rhyko and showed me when he got back to the room.

At 7am Tuesday morning, I got to go see Rhyko and hold him skin to skin. He seemed so tiny to me! And he had so many things attached to him; a nasal canula, a blood pressure cuff, an IV drip, an oxygen sat monitor, and three monitoring stickers on his chest. He was beautiful to me, though! I was so happy to see him.

294394_10150275066182644_509062643_7477832_2147463937_n.jpg307058_10150277029867644_509062643_7484267_1900340331_n.jpgWe visited Rhyko several times a day and then I was discharged on Wednesday evening. We went back to visit him later that night… we couldn’t stay away!

The next 25 days would be the hardest of my life. I continued to pump (and still am) around the clock and Rhyko only had to have supplemental formula for the first four days after the NG tube was put in (at 24 hours old).



Rhyko came home on a Friday afternoon – five weeks after my water broke.


Here he is just a few days ago at 7 weeks old!



Edited by LunaLady - 11/8/11 at 2:37pm
post #4 of 121
Thread Starter 

And don't forgot to change your siggy b/c you aren't expecting anymore; you're a mama now!!!  Can't wait to read it!

post #5 of 121


post #6 of 121

Shall we do birth stories here, or should each birth story get it's own thread?  I kind of like the idea of each birth announcement getting it's own attention.  This might be hard to follow once the babies start flying out!  Just a thought..

post #7 of 121
Thread Starter 

Well, my idea was to have all the stories here so that we could just scroll through them all and not have a million threads for announcements and then stories and then pictures for each baby.  J started an announcement thread, but I'm not sure if people will remember to post there in their haste of getting online just to quickly update the group.  Seems like most announcements get put in the chit chat or labor signs threads.  But, this thread should be easier to contain since people would come back to post their stories in a more leisurely fashion.  We could also start a baby picture thread like the belly photo thread.

post #8 of 121

Alrighty, sounds good.

post #9 of 121
Thread Starter 

Seraf- Sara:  11/1


I woke up at 1AM on 11-1-11 with irregular and uncomfortable contractions. I knew it was labor but it didn't seem intense to start. I got up, swept the sawdust from last night's headboard project, went back to bed for a while. After a bit I got up and folded some baby laundry. I took a shower and assured Sara there was nothing to do yet. I set up our supplies and went back to bed again. Sara and I both got up around 4. I went back and forth between showers and the bath and the birth ball and the toilet. I got some bloody show and we watched some Netflix and I was disappointed that my contractions were still irregular, tho they were surely more intense. We walked up and down the sidewalk a couple of times. Around 6 I told Sara I needed to go to the hospital for drugs. They were not nice contractions and I felt like they weren't doing anything. While Sara packed up a hospital bag I started feeling pushy, and I said, we can't leave now, we will have the baby in the car or they won't give me drugs anyway. Sara went back to bed (she was fighting morning sickness the whole time) while I lay in the shower drifting in and out of sleep. Finally the contractions were awful and I was convinced he wasn't coming out. So I told Sara I wanted to go to the hospital and get everything checked out. He was still moving. More than any of my babies during labor, so I knew he was somewhat ok, but I was bleeding and worried. So I couldn't even dress myself and I lay on the floor while Sara put my socks, pants and shoes on while I had a couple of contractions on the floor. I'm telling you, it felt like crap. It felt like really hard contractions, not like the relief of pushing. We walked down the stairs, got in the car, I was sitting on 2 towels and off we went. Sara told me it was 7:20 when left the house and I was cursing not leaving at 6 for drugs. Well, we got right out of town and I told Sara to find a pull off. She pulled over immediately and I told her there was a head coming out of me. She asked if I wanted her to go back home and I said, "no time! There is a head!" Well, it wasn't a head, I was simply exploding but the wrinkly soft head came out about the same time Sara got to my side of the car. There were several gushes of water as his different head parts and shoulders and body were delivered. Sara said, "it's a boy! What do I do?" I asked if she could pick him up. She put him on my chest, dried him and covered him with one of the towels for the very brief drive home. She got my mom so they could both help me inside. They took lots of pictures while I delivered the placenta and we nursed, ate and did vitals.


We have seen the family doc for his newborn checkup and the OB for my checkup.  He is a big boy.  21.5 inches and 8# 14oz are the official measurements. His name is Shay Brock.


Tiny baby, post bath.



My boys



We made this sling for Ari months ago, she was in a hurry to use it.


post #10 of 121
Thread Starter 

Mal85- Mallory: 11/2


She didn't quite make it for the 11-1-11 birthday, she came at 12:32 am on the 2nd. Just missed it!! My labor went almost exactly like it did with Owyn, it was almost crazy how similar everything was, aside from the time of day. I woke up to my water beginning to break at around 5 in the morning. This continued all morning. My doula came over around 10 and did some acupressure to try and get contractions going. We took a walk around the neighborhood. Nothing was working. We headed to the hospital around lunch time. Once we got there, contractions started to pick up some, but they were just like last time. I'd have a strong one, followed by a couple of weak ones, followed by a break. This was making basically no progress. They knew how badly I wanted to go naturally and the hospital's policy was to start pitocin after 6 hours. Well, we'd passed that window before I got there, so my midwife said to give me 12 hours. Still not much progress. Only 1 cm by then. She gave me even longer, until 7:30 that night. She came by to check on me that evening and I was barely 2 cm further than when I arrived at the hospital.


So, they started pitocin and at that point I got an epidural. They gave me a pretty weak epidural per my request. It gave me some relief, but I was still able to move myself pretty well and felt the pressure from the contractions pretty well. The pitocin was set pretty low, but wasn't making much progress and kept the same routine. So, they upped the pitocin and I asked for a little more in my epidural. That was actually great! For about an hour and half, I got a good break. I couldn't feel anything and my body got a lot of work done. I actually thought I had stopped contracting because I couldn't feel any pressure, but they were finally settling into a good rhythm and I was able to relax enough to let it happen. I went from 4 cm to 7 cm in no time. Then, I started to feel some pressure again. By the time I was 8 cm, I could feel pretty much everything. My epidural was running out and I was feeling transition pretty well.


Then, just like I did with Owyn, I stalled at 9 cm. I felt very pushy, but part of my cervix was still in the way. I finally told my midwife there was no "not pushing" anymore, my body was going to push whether I tried to or not. I told my husband later, it was really either I was going to push or puke and either way that made my body do the same thing, so I might as well be pushing. She was able to push the rest of the cervix out of the way in a couple of pushes and things really got going. By this time, my epidural had completely run out and I was feeling everything. That was so different than the last time. I could feel pressure to push with Owyn, but I didn't feel her coming out the way I could feel this one. Now I know why they call it the ring of fire, holy smokes! 


Greta is over a pound bigger than Owyn as and stubborn about coming out. Her head was bad enough, but then her shoulders got stuck and it took a little while to get the rest of her out. She was 8 lbs. 6 oz and apparently all the baby my body can handle pushing out! Talking with my midwife later, even she said it surprised her the trouble my body had getting her out. Apparently, I'm not built to birth big babies. My mom said she never had one over 7.5 lbs and my sisters babies have all been in the 7 lb range... we're just built to birth smaller babies, I guess. So, Greta was all the baby I could handle and I'm feeling it this time! Much more hobbly than I was last time and, although the bleeding is okay, I'm definitely a lot more sore. Really not looking forward to DH going back to work next Tuesday!


She also looks absolutely nothing like Owyn! Owyn is a clone of DH and Greta seems to look a lot more like me. My mom brought over a couple of my baby pictures today and it's hard to tell a difference between the two of us! How strange to have two daughters look so different from each other! Owyn is totally smitten by her. She asks to hold her all the time and is quick to come to her side anytime she cries. She calls her "My Greta" and has kisses galore for her!



Here's a peek at her:



And the proud big sister:


post #11 of 121

Harlan Drake born  11/4 at 6::48pm 10lbs even 21 1/2"  lots  of hair  39wks2days gestation.


I was worried all week that I’d not realize I was in labor and hubby wouldn’t make it home in enough time. The week before I was told I was 2cm 50% on 10/26. On November 4th I got up a little before 6am to use the bathroom and thinking I would find excess cm, I found red blood and than when I sat on the toilet started to pass decent sized feeling clots. What a way to start the morning, got hubby called for him to come home, called L&D  and was told to go to the nearest hospital. My aunt came over to drive me . Got to the hospital and checked in at 7:32am, hubby arrived at 8:03am and we finally got taken back to a triage room to get on monitors and get a ultrasound to find the source of the bleeding and clots. Ultrasound found no reason for the bleeding and clots. 9:13am I am checked and told I’m 6cm and GBS+. Nurse says I probably dilated super fast hence the bleeding and clots. 9:58am contractions are 4-5mins apart . 12:10pm still 6cm and high. 2:32pm 7cm, agreed to the dr breaking my water. 4pm puking and contractions. 5:32pm 8cm 2+station. Harlan was born at 6:48pm after 3-4good pushes. He was 10lbs even 21  1/2” long lots of hair on his head. Med free.

post #12 of 121

I updated post #3 with my birth story finally!!! redface.gif

post #13 of 121

So, do we all put congrats to each mama on this thread then?  Wouldn't it get mighty long?  I might second the idea of each story having it's own thread for this purpose, but maybe also copying the "story" to this one for people to read through?

Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

Shall we do birth stories here, or should each birth story get it's own thread?  I kind of like the idea of each birth announcement getting it's own attention.  This might be hard to follow once the babies start flying out!  Just a thought..


post #14 of 121

Luna -

What a brave story you have!  Congrats on your beautiful boy!  I sat there reading it so intensely, especially everything you had to endure.  That sounded rough.  I'm so glad you got past all that and are home safe and sound to snuggle your little guy.  You're an amazing mama!



post #15 of 121
Thread Starter 

Wow Christina!  What an amazing story!  I read it like it was a novel... your ups and downs.... everything you had to go through.  You are so strong and should be very, very proud of yourself for persevering through such difficult circumstances.  Rhyko is very lucky to have you as his mama!  heartbeat.gif

post #16 of 121

I agree.  Maybe all the birth stories go in the 'Birth Story' sticky, but each one could also get an individual thread for the congrats?  That way they're easy to read if someone wants to get through them all.

Originally Posted by musicmama08 View Post

So, do we all put congrats to each mama on this thread then?  Wouldn't it get mighty long?  I might second the idea of each story having it's own thread for this purpose, but maybe also copying the "story" to this one for people to read through?



post #17 of 121

Thank you Crystal and Jaimee love.gif


It was a very trying time and I am still in shock over it all. I guess it's true that you never really know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

post #18 of 121

Wow Luna, I finally got a chance to read your birth story.  What a lot to got through.  I am so glad you all made it through and are healing.

post #19 of 121

Thank you, Paige! Yes, despite it all, I really do need to be grateful that baby and I have our health. 

post #20 of 121

Not sure where to post this but I had my baby on 11/9/11 at noon.  We had an awesome home birth after an easy 10hr labor and only a few min of pushing!  I had a 9lb 5oz, 22in baby boy who we named Roger.  I havent written my birth story yet, but just wanted everyone to know!

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: November 2011 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › The BIRTH STORY Thread