or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › April 2012 › Which carseat are you getting?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which carseat are you getting? - Page 2

post #21 of 36


Quote:

Originally Posted by treehugginhippie View Post

Lurking from the March DDC :)

 

Just make sure your Triumph seat isn't expired (most seats are only good for 5 yrs). And I don't know about the Triumph specifically but most convertibles do NOT fit newborns...even if they say so (Britax for example does not fit newborns). Reason for this is because of proper angle (need the proper recline for newborns or it could cut off their airway) and the strap slot should be at or just below their shoulders rear facing.

 

Sorry, I couldn't read and not reply.


No experience with the Triumph, but I agree that Britax seats won't properly fit most newborns because the lowest strap height setting will still have the straps above the infant's shoulders instead of just below as required for RFing seats.  The website I linked earlier gives lowest strap setting in inches for most (all?) of the Britax seats.

 

post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugginhippie View Post

Lurking from the March DDC :)

 

Just make sure your Triumph seat isn't expired (most seats are only good for 5 yrs). And I don't know about the Triumph specifically but most convertibles do NOT fit newborns...even if they say so (Britax for example does not fit newborns). Reason for this is because of proper angle (need the proper recline for newborns or it could cut off their airway) and the strap slot should be at or just below their shoulders rear facing.

 

Sorry, I couldn't read and not reply.
 



 




Thanks for saying something.  I forgot that carseats expire now.  So there is a problem with convertibles not fitting newborns properly?  I didn't know that but I also never used a convertible for an infant before.  My Triumph starts at 5 pounds and has the same recline as an infant carrier.  Seems it should work...if it wasn't expired and stored in the garage after numerous hot summers and bitter cold winters :(  I would much rather spend the money on a great convertible seat, than on an infant carrier.  Time to start my search!

post #23 of 36

Yeah, there are not many convertibles that fit newborns. It's kinda sad you have to be your own detective to get a convertilbe that truly fits newborns. Off the top of my head I know the Graco My Ride and First Years True Fit fits newborns. I have a My Ride for my now 3 yr old and LOVE it. I'll be skipping the bucket too this time and getting a My Ride. carseat.org is a great forum to visit to get a good list of choices. Oh and of course the Family Safety forum here on MDC too :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiryFairy View Post






Thanks for saying something.  I forgot that carseats expire now.  So there is a problem with convertibles not fitting newborns properly?  I didn't know that but I also never used a convertible for an infant before.  My Triumph starts at 5 pounds and has the same recline as an infant carrier.  Seems it should work...if it wasn't expired and stored in the garage after numerous hot summers and bitter cold winters :(  I would much rather spend the money on a great convertible seat, than on an infant carrier.  Time to start my search!



 


Edited by treehugginhippie - 9/26/11 at 1:12pm
post #24 of 36

We bought a Radian for Willa and have been using that since the very beginning.  Close friends of ours bought one too because they knew we'd be needing occasional rides (we don't actually own a car) and figured it would be easier to keep one with them.  Now, with another little one on the way, a Radian at each house doesn't make any sense so they gave us the one they bought.  So now we have two! I believe they expire after 8 years so we should be set for another 5 years or so.  We are quite fond of the Radian, but they are heavy if you are taking them in and out of cars like we do, and they are quite tall so they take up a fair amount of space when rear-facing.  They are nice and slender though and we've had no problem getting one in the back seat of a Honda FIT with two adults as well, so with an infant rear-facing and a 3.5 year old forward facing I anticipate still getting a good fit with one adult across the back.

post #25 of 36

We've decided on 1st years True Fit.  It's nice they can do extended rear-facing and be harnessed until 65lbs.  Walmart has a really decent price on it too, around $140!  Thanks for your help, TreeHugginHippie :)

post #26 of 36

I think you'll be really happy with the True Fit.  One of my favorite things about it is that the headrest is removable, so you have more room for the front seat passenger to scoot their seat back, at least until the babe reaches a certain size (can't remember--20 lbs or to a line marked on the seat, i think?).  DD is still comfortably RFing in one (the older model) at 2.5 yrs.

post #27 of 36


smile.gif You're welcome. BTW OT- can I mention how much I love MDC? I've learned so much here that I would've never known otherwise. I love sharing info w/ others because of how much I've gained from reading theirs.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiryFairy View Post

We've decided on 1st years True Fit.  It's nice they can do extended rear-facing and be harnessed until 65lbs.  Walmart has a really decent price on it too, around $140!  Thanks for your help, TreeHugginHippie :)



 

post #28 of 36

I'm considering the True Fit myself, although I still really like the looks of the Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite. Good thing I have a few months to decide LOL

post #29 of 36

We have tentatively chosen Chicco KeyFit for an infant seat and a Radian for post-infancy. I wish I had some idea of whether I would really want to use the infant carrier. I plan to babywear as much as I possibly can, but friends say that the carrier is essential for getting baby in and out of cars without disturbing sleep. I have no idea how to predict whether their prediction will be right for our family. :-/

 

I will probably be taking baby from our house to my mom's twice weekly, and I expect we will be traveling on a plane with baby well before baby outgrows the infant seat. THoughts?

post #30 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

We have tentatively chosen Chicco KeyFit for an infant seat and a Radian for post-infancy. I wish I had some idea of whether I would really want to use the infant carrier. I plan to babywear as much as I possibly can, but friends say that the carrier is essential for getting baby in and out of cars without disturbing sleep. I have no idea how to predict whether their prediction will be right for our family. :-/

 

I will probably be taking baby from our house to my mom's twice weekly, and I expect we will be traveling on a plane with baby well before baby outgrows the infant seat. THoughts?


I think it sort of depends on your baby, too. If you're doing a bucket, I think that's a good way to go (KeyFit, then Radian, especially if you plan to ERF).  The KeyFit is relatively light weight (9.5 lbs.) for a decent seat.

 

ETA: re. flying.  We flew with DD when she was in a bucket, and it was okay.  Definitely easier than flying with a convertible.  We checked the base and used the belt over the seat method of strapping it in.  We were about 50/50 getting a seat for free when DD was >2 by "chancing it" and having the seat JIC. They only give you like a $20 discount!

post #31 of 36

Yeah, Radian for as long as LO can sit in it rear-facing. I assume ERF = extended rear-facing? 

 

Another point in favor of the bucket, I think, is that there are three different cars baby will regularly be riding in, plus a 4th on occasion. Having extra bases and just one bucket may be cheaper and much less of a hassle. I anticipate dropping DH baby off with my mom two days a week and me picking her up 2-3x per week. 

post #32 of 36

We only had one base for our bucket. I did not think it was a big deal to just thread the seatbelt trough the seat without a base when we switched cars. It took a minute longer, but wasn't difficult. I don't know if this works with every seat or if it effects the safety of the seat. I guess my point is that you don't need a base for every care, just one or two for the most-used cars.

post #33 of 36
My DD (almost 3) is RF in the Britax Boulevard. We love this seat! But it definitely wouldn't have worked for her as a newborn, she was tiny. We have her Graco bucket, but it never seemed that comfortable. I'd rather not use it for the new baby because DD was never happy in it. I just don't know if I should throw money away on a new infant seat or get the True Fit or My Ride for the new baby. If money was no problem, I'd get the Chicco for the new baby, then another Boulevard when the baby outgrew it.

Do you feel certain the My Ride or True Fit will fit all newborns safely and work well for ERF toddlers?
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

We have tentatively chosen Chicco KeyFit for an infant seat and a Radian for post-infancy. I wish I had some idea of whether I would really want to use the infant carrier. I plan to babywear as much as I possibly can, but friends say that the carrier is essential for getting baby in and out of cars without disturbing sleep. I have no idea how to predict whether their prediction will be right for our family. :-/

 

I will probably be taking baby from our house to my mom's twice weekly, and I expect we will be traveling on a plane with baby well before baby outgrows the infant seat. THoughts?


I never thought about the sleeping thing! The last thing I want to do is wake a sleeping baby! I was totally leaning towards a convertible but now I don't know.
post #35 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaChick View Post

Do you feel certain the My Ride or True Fit will fit all newborns safely and work well for ERF toddlers?


I can tell you 100% for sure that the True Fit will fit a full-term newborn that is at least 6 lb. 13 oz. and 18 3/4'' (like my DD was).  It also will RF a 27lb. 35'' 32 month old toddler (like my DD is now) with plenty of shell above the head.  We also have a Boulevard, which I love--the ONLY downsides to the TrueFit that I can think of are: 1) no pad on the crotch strap and 2) it's wide, so you can't drag it down the aisle of an airplane.  From the info below, it looks like the MyRide is even wider (external seat width).  It also looks like the MyRide doesn't have an adjustable buckle position, but the lowest harness height is 1/2 inch lower. I felt like the shorter buckle position gave a tighter fit with a newborn, but I haven't tried the MyRide.   HTH!

 

Specs on the True Fit from car-seat.org:

Measurements:
Lowest Harness Height: 7.5 in. w/ infant padding; 9 in. without padding
Highest Harness Height: 17.5 in.
Shortest Buckle Position: 5.25 in.
Longest Buckle Position: 6.5 in.
Crotch Buckle Length: 5 in.
Internal Seating Depth: 12 in.
Internal Seating Height: 19.5 in. to red line / 26.5 in. to top of removable headrest
Internal Bottom Width: 12.5 in.
Internal Shoulder Width: 12-15 in.
External Seat Width: 19.5 in.
Seat Weight: 18.5 lb.

 

 

Specs on the MyRide from car-seat.org:

Measurements:
Lowest Harness Height: 7 in. w/ infant insert / 8.5 in. (w/o insert)
Highest Harness Height: 16.5 in.
Shortest Buckle Position: 6.5 in.
Longest Buckle Position: 6.5 in.
Crotch Buckle Length: 6 in.
Internal Seating Depth: 12 in.
Internal Seating Height: 24.5 in.
Internal Bottom Width: 10.5 in.
Internal Shoulder Width: 11 in.
External Seat Width: 20 in.
Seat Weight: 15.8 lb.

post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

Quote:

I can tell you 100% for sure that the True Fit will fit a full-term newborn that is at least 6 lb. 13 oz. and 18 3/4'' (like my DD was).  It also will RF a 27lb. 35'' 32 month old toddler (like my DD is now) with plenty of shell above the head.  We also have a Boulevard, which I love--the ONLY downsides to the TrueFit that I can think of are: 1) no pad on the crotch strap and 2) it's wide, so you can't drag it down the aisle of an airplane.  From the info below, it looks like the MyRide is even wider (external seat width).  It also looks like the MyRide doesn't have an adjustable buckle position, but the lowest harness height is 1/2 inch lower. I felt like the shorter buckle position gave a tighter fit with a newborn, but I haven't tried the MyRide.   HTH!

 

That helps A LOT! Thanks, justKate. Sounds like the True Fit would work great for us.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: April 2012
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › April 2012 › Which carseat are you getting?