or Connect
Mothering › Groups › August 2011 Birth Club › Discussions › NIP!

NIP!

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 

I always thought I'd have no problem nursing in public (NIP), but have had a surprisingly hard time actually doing it. So I thought I'd start a thread where we can celebrate our NIP-ing.  Today I chickened out while we were eating out with my dad & step-mom who are visiting and I ended up nursing in the car. We have some plans to go out tomorrow, so I hope I can do it! 

 

Where have you NIP-ed?

 

 

post #2 of 33

At the Farmer's Market - that was the first time and I awkwardly positioned him in my wrap to cover everything up.

In the OB's office - awkwardly covered up with a blanket because it seemed weird otherwise.

In the airport, in my wrap.

At the docks, screw covering up ;)

In a restaurant.

And in the car - Arby's parking lot, grocery store parking lots..

 

I cared at first, now I don't even notice at first when I've left a boob hanging out, even in front of my dad ;)

><

post #3 of 33

Hm, we really haven't gone anywhere yet.  hide.gif

 

But I did nurse in front of  the pediatrician the other day.  Finn was too screamy to talk over, so I said, "Lemme just pop him on so we can talk," and sat, whipped it out, and got him to shush.  And the dr didn't even squirm!!  LOL!  Once I did that with Nora at the drs while we were waiting for the dr to come in the room, and when she did she was all, "Oh, I'm so sorry!" and put her hand up.  I was like, confused.  Aren't you a freaking pediatrician??  Really, am I one of the few patients you have that bf's that it makes you uncomfortable??  So strange.

 

I find it harder to nurse in front of family than in a crowd of strangers at times.  Almost like you feel like all eyes are on you.  I got over it quick b/c, whatever, I'm going to feed my kid, but it can be hard.  Props and hugs to all us NIPers!!

post #4 of 33
I have NIP'd just about everywhere. Stores, restaurants, in my car, at the park... One of the annoying little details about having low supply is that you end up with a baby who almost never quite has a full tummy and therefore, must nurse every 30-60 min on average to get enough to eat in a day. That means unless I want to stay cooped up at home unless he's on solids, I'm gonna be NIPing! When it's just me and the kids, I'm less conscientious about covering up. But DH has issues about my boobs hanging out in public (I know, ridiculous) and I feel like I need to respect that, so I cover with a muslin swaddler when I'm with him.

I nursed Alexander while he was in the Ergo for the first time last night. That was pretty cool. I have to work on getting him to latch a little easier 'cause he was really fighting it at first, but it was nice nursing hands free while shopping at Target!
post #5 of 33
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the posts, it gives me more confidence! And I realize that I have done it more than I thought. Definitely in the car, and also at the ped's office.  Carrie, I can't believe that your old ped was embarrassed!  Mine was almost the opposite, she got real close and started looking at my latch and commenting on the cracks in my nipples when River popped off!  
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by egmaranian View Post

I nursed Alexander while he was in the Ergo for the first time last night. That was pretty cool. I have to work on getting him to latch a little easier 'cause he was really fighting it at first, but it was nice nursing hands free while shopping at Target!


I SO badly want to figure out how to do this to be hands free. I tried this in my sling the other day at home, and it was a disaster. River was all strangely contorted in it, started crying, and I ended up having to shimmy the sling down my body and step out of it!  I wonder if it's harder since my boobs are kinda small (barely B)? I really have to move him to the boob, can't move the the boob to him. 

 

post #6 of 33

I've nursed almost anywhere w/ this little one already: restaurants, parking lots, Drs offices, in front of friends and family, and most recently while sitting through counseling and during DS1's infant and toddler playgroup. Coming up next week: a movie, a research talk, and potentially a meeting. DS2 is eating a lot in the course of a few hours and he loves to hang out and comfort nurse in between. It's either that or having a screaming baby in public which I find much more problematic.

 

I used to be much more concerned about other people's reaction when DS1 was born but after a few months I decided if people didn't want to see me NIPing, they had the choice of looking somewhere else. Since then I haven't looked back, and despite my disregard for people's feelings regarding NIPing, I've never seen anyone shoot me angry looks or get up disgustedly.

post #7 of 33

With DS1 I nursed just about everywhere we ever went while he was still breastfeeding. I have really big boobs, so there was flesh being exposed whenever I did NIP, but it didn't bother me or DH. I had a nursing cover, but DS1 HATED being covered while nursing, so in the end I only really tried to cover when nursing at Church (and that was even just in the baby nursery, as it was the only room with a chair comfy enough for nursing.)

 

With DS2 the only place I've been so far is the midwife's office for the 1 week weight check. I just got my boob out and latched DS2 on and continued with the conversation while he ate. I did have in in-laws here for a few days last week to help with DS1, and FIL was as awkward as ever about me nursing without covering. He acts like he has no idea where to look when the boob is out, but its not as if he is getting any nipple exposure except perhaps when we start and finish each boob as it takes a few seconds to do the bra. Once I'm out and about I'll just feed DS2 whenever and where ever he needs to eat. I'll probably try using one of the muslin swaddles to semi-cover this time as it might be a bit cooler than the proper nursing cover. But I'll probably only use it for Church again, as they are a very conservative bunch when it comes to nursing.

post #8 of 33

i've nip'd in grocery store, restaurant, target, sbux, and wherever else we've been.  i have no idea if anyone has a neg reaction b/c i'm usually looking at my baby, lol!  i find the covers to more obvious, and draw more attention.  i think people have to be really looking at me to know what we're doing.  carrie, i agree re: family being harder sometimes.  i can tell people are deliberately trying not to look at me, and have a hard time looking at my face when talking to me.  weird.

post #9 of 33
I've NIP'd pretty much everywhere. If we've been there, I've probably nursed a baby there.

With this baby, the most notable NIP experiences would probably be when DD was in the hospital. Whenever they would need to draw blood, change her IV, etc, they would offer "sugar water for the pain." I would instead just pull out a boob and lean over the exam table and nurse DD through the procedure with my boob dangling down. Some of the nurses thought it was "sweet," one commented that she'd never had a mom do that (but wished more would because it made things "so much easier"). All of the doctors except for one seemed very uncomfortable, and one of them even commented that "I'm sure you'd be more comfortable nursing privately." I just smiled and told him that if I could nurse in Starbucks every morning, then I could certainly nurse in front of a pediatrician smile.gif

A friend had posted a link on FB (probably one of you ladies) about how we learn to nurse by watching. Our brains have some innate ability, yes, but that the knowlege of how to nurse is actually a learned behavior, and that a big part of that is seeing. And that by hiding in private rooms, under covers, and behind closed doors, we are doing a great disservice to future nursing generations.

I think the only person I'm not comfortable nursing around is my dad, because he makes it so awkward. He won't look at me, he turns away, he tries not to talk to me... It makes me super uncomfortable. He's gotten better about it, but probably only because I'm on my second child that nurses all the time...
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post


A friend had posted a link on FB (probably one of you ladies) about how we learn to nurse by watching. Our brains have some innate ability, yes, but that the knowlege of how to nurse is actually a learned behavior, and that a big part of that is seeing. And that by hiding in private rooms, under covers, and behind closed doors, we are doing a great disservice to future nursing generations.


I read this before I got pregnant, I think. I've never known anybody who nursed, and I've never even really been around a baby until Liam was born, so everything is new for me. I did watch a lot of "how to" videos with regards to nursing, and I definitely think it helped. 

 

I haven't had too much experience with NIPing. I can't figure out how to nurse in the sling yet, but I've been trying every couple of days. I'll be doing more come this weekend/monday and then next weekend. Maybe I'll get a story to share.

 

post #11 of 33

http://healthland.time.com/2011/09/16/boob-on-the-move-trucks-public-art-defends-public-breast-feeding/

 

have you seen this?? it is awesome! a friend of mine has seen it at the art exhibit ttoo.

 

i did not realize peds count as NIP..i thought ypu were supposed to nurse there. ours is a little crunchy so she asked me to nurse to comfort LO, and it being 3 days pp, i was not sure if it would work, hands shakin a little so the ped helped undo my nursing top! and the babe latched right on! pheeew.

we had in laws visiting 2nd week pp,so that was really hard for me so i just kept going back to our bedroom to nurse.

2 days ago, which i thought was my first NIP, we were walking on the beach and DH was wearing her - she cried, so i asked him to take her out and just fed her there, very few people around

wednesday i fed her in the moby in my car in a very public parking lot.

i m still very shy about it tho.

post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

I think the only person I'm not comfortable nursing around is my dad, because he makes it so awkward. He won't look at me, he turns away, he tries not to talk to me... It makes me super uncomfortable. He's gotten better about it, but probably only because I'm on my second child that nurses all the time...


Mine pointed out that he didn't find it tittilating as I'm his daughter. Not sure why that needed to be said. I just said, "Good!"

post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

I think the only person I'm not comfortable nursing around is my dad, because he makes it so awkward. He won't look at me, he turns away, he tries not to talk to me... It makes me super uncomfortable. He's gotten better about it, but probably only because I'm on my second child that nurses all the time...


My FIL leaves the room.  Every time.  I'm sure he thinks he's giving me privacy, but in fact I'd rather the conversation just continue like normal.  I feel like it draws more attention and makes me feel uncomfortable BECAUSE he's uncomfortable.  Idk.  I too think that since this is baby #2 and obviously I'm fine nursing in front of everyone else whenever baby needs boob that he'd catch on.  But he's an old man so I cut him some slack, I guess.

 

post #14 of 33

Saw this on bring back boobie beanie

 

NIP image

 

Thought it was funny.

 

I try to NIP whenever I can.  Both DS and I find covering to be a hassle but will do it in occasion if DH requests it.   It's mostly at church due to the fact that everyone is so modest.

 

I nurse in front of family, at MD appointments, in his wrap at the store.  What drives me crazy is when I nurse in front of my MIL.  She will literally stand inches from my boob (with her face).  One of these days I'm not going to be able to contain my annoyance and ask her if she wants to latch on. 

 

My FIL is very respectful.  He doesn't mind me nursing in front of him.  He will continue to converse but doesn't want me to feel like he's staring if he's trying to look at DS (unkowing that we are nursing)

 

post #15 of 33
I have a baby who wants to nurse constantly and when I'm out, which is rare, we usually nurse in the car. The ONLY reason we don't nurse a lot in public is because I have a horribly fussy baby at the boob now. Sometimes he can be happy and I go to latch him on and he SCREAMS bloody murder, arches, kicks. It's absolutely awful and puts me in tears a lot. It was happening mostly in the evenings before I found out he was tongue tied, but now that he's been on the finger feeder it is happening a lot more. It's as if he just doesn't want to suck. He knows the milk is there but he doesn't want to work to get it. The screaming at the boob would be so embarrassing in public and very very frustrating and uncomfortable. I cry as it is ....I can't imagine doing it in public! This evening he was hungry but not starving. He wasn't crying. I put him to the breast and almost immediately he went crazy with the screaming! now that would not be nursing discreetly!

I have nursed at the peds office and of course at the IBCLC office (duh!).
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post

Saw this on bring back boobie beanie

 

NIP image

 

Thought it was funny.

 

I try to NIP whenever I can.  Both DS and I find covering to be a hassle but will do it in occasion if DH requests it.   It's mostly at church due to the fact that everyone is so modest.

 

I nurse in front of family, at MD appointments, in his wrap at the store.  What drives me crazy is when I nurse in front of my MIL.  She will literally stand inches from my boob (with her face).  One of these days I'm not going to be able to contain my annoyance and ask her if she wants to latch on. 

 

My FIL is very respectful.  He doesn't mind me nursing in front of him.  He will continue to converse but doesn't want me to feel like he's staring if he's trying to look at DS (unkowing that we are nursing)

 


Such a cute comic.

 

In regards to nursing in church and modesty issues, while I don't have any personal experience (not a church-goer) one of the blogs I read has a very good idea of it.

 

She is LSD and a feminist, but she's nursing a toddler and a younger child, and doesn't cover up in church.

 

Here are all her breastfeeding posts, I'm not sure how far back you'll have to go to find ones regarding modesty, but it might help your point of view on everything.

 

post #17 of 33

I nip everywhere...stores, restaurants, ymca, Church, the car (in parking lots), ped's office etc. I have a slight issue with clothes that are easy for nip as most of my clothes don't fit me yet. I don't cover as I'm too clumsy, she hates it and it attracts more attention.

post #18 of 33
I will NIP anytime the little one needs it. No problems here. In fact, just today she was being a little fussy (after being the the truck for hours while we ran errands) and someone asked if it was dinnertime for the baby... Um, I just nursed her while we were talking. He didn't even realize I had just fed her! I'm sly like that. ;-) I can also nurse handsfree with a ring sling.

About the "learn to nurse" comment... Last week I came into the bedroom and saw Cady snuggled up to Ada. I asked "what are you doing?" She said "feeding the baby". love.gif She also 'nurses' her dolls and stuffed animals.
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post


A friend had posted a link on FB (probably one of you ladies) about how we learn to nurse by watching. Our brains have some innate ability, yes, but that the knowlege of how to nurse is actually a learned behavior, and that a big part of that is seeing. And that by hiding in private rooms, under covers, and behind closed doors, we are doing a great disservice to future nursing generations.

Very interesting- never knew that. I can remember the first person I even saw nursing- I was around kindergarten/first grade age and in the nursery of the daycare my mom worked at. One of my best friends mom was there nursing his little brother and I just stared b/c I'd never seen it before and had no idea what she was doing. From then on instead of giving my baby dolls bottles I would pretend to nurse. Sadly since then, even though I worked in a church nursery for 8+ yrs and the church's weekly daycare in the infant room for 4 yrs, I've still seen probably less than 10 women breastfeeding.

It really bums me out big time that I wasn't able to successfully breastfeed Mags.
post #20 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomto2 View Post

I have a baby who wants to nurse constantly and when I'm out, which is rare, we usually nurse in the car. The ONLY reason we don't nurse a lot in public is because I have a horribly fussy baby at the boob now. Sometimes he can be happy and I go to latch him on and he SCREAMS bloody murder, arches, kicks. It's absolutely awful and puts me in tears a lot. It was happening mostly in the evenings before I found out he was tongue tied, but now that he's been on the finger feeder it is happening a lot more. It's as if he just doesn't want to suck. He knows the milk is there but he doesn't want to work to get it. The screaming at the boob would be so embarrassing in public and very very frustrating and uncomfortable. I cry as it is ....I can't imagine doing it in public! This evening he was hungry but not starving. He wasn't crying. I put him to the breast and almost immediately he went crazy with the screaming! now that would not be nursing discreetly!

I have nursed at the peds office and of course at the IBCLC office (duh!).

 

Just wanted to say that as I've been reading your posts, I've been sending you lots of love and positive nursing energy. goodvibes.gifbfinfant.gifYou seem to have so much love and dedication to your LO, and I can't wait to hear an update from you soon saying that he's nursing like a champ... because I KNOW it will happen. 

 

 

Mothering › Groups › August 2011 Birth Club › Discussions › NIP!