or Connect
Mothering › Groups › August 2011 Birth Club › Discussions › Chitting and Chatting - 9/24 - 10/1

Chitting and Chatting - 9/24 - 10/1 - Page 6

post #101 of 118

Tear: I always just follow the child. At any age. 

He nurses on demand and sleeps on demand and they're both often noisy :P

 

I watch for red eyes and a change in temperment. He mostly just sleeps all the time, so I watch less. If he's throwing a big fit, though, I know he's tired and not dying if his got the tired red eyes.

 

I don't tend to put him down to sleep much, though. He just sleeps across my lap if he was nursing  or more often up on my shoulder. I only put him down if I want to do something else. It's rare, but increasing.

 

Italianmom- YAY! Good job with the insurance :D I wish there was a way to use insurance to somehow combine medical bills so that instead of five monthly payments to other place, you only get one.

 

We're on payment plans with two places so far with two or three more to add and I'm not completely sure we can even afford the payments :P

 

Plus, anyone else got their new kid insurance bills? Yikes! Certainly weren't planning on that much new expense! I'd forgotten about them having us pay for the month the application was going ><

post #102 of 118


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

Italianmom- YAY! Good job with the insurance :D I wish there was a way to use insurance to somehow combine medical bills so that instead of five monthly payments to other place, you only get one.

 

We're on payment plans with two places so far with two or three more to add and I'm not completely sure we can even afford the payments :P

 

Plus, anyone else got their new kid insurance bills? Yikes! Certainly weren't planning on that much new expense! I'd forgotten about them having us pay for the month the application was going ><


We are incredibly fortunate that our family's insurance premiums come out pre-tax, and that our premiums didn't change from one kid to two.  But still, we're starting to get all the after insurance bills.  We also got our adjusted bill from DD's hospital stay today for $2200...  That's certainly better than $15,000 but it will still hurt significantly.  Not exactly sure how that will get paid...

 

post #103 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

 

We are incredibly fortunate that our family's insurance premiums come out pre-tax, and that our premiums didn't change from one kid to two.  But still, we're starting to get all the after insurance bills.  We also got our adjusted bill from DD's hospital stay today for $2200...  That's certainly better than $15,000 but it will still hurt significantly.  Not exactly sure how that will get paid...

 

It's so bad.

Hospital bill: over 3000, anesthesiologist: 750, OB: around 400. Hearing screening: 222

plus the 750 for my ultrasounds, ect, ect.
 

 

post #104 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I cheat.

 

IMG_8711-1.jpg

 

If he holds a stuffed toy it'll keep the paci in for a bit. I'm not far away, I don't leave him like this.  Once he's asleep it usually falls out anyway, so I don't worry.

 

I'm also getting this:

 

http://www.wubbanub.com/products_main.html

 

 

 

 



that's hilarious!!!  Using a nookie right now to be able to check email etc - as short lived as that will be

post #105 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemama579 View Post

AFM:  anyone know how to babyproof a fireplace, or even if it is necessary?  we just moved to a house that has one and i really want to use it.  it has very heavy doors that cover the box, but i am concerned that they will get super hot and DD will be crawling right around the time we want to use it.  I have seen fireplace babygates, but they are like $200!  not really an option right now. 


 Could you try and find a big gate on craigslist? Might save you some money.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

AFM -- Kind of a hard, depressing week around here.  The dog went to stay indefinitely with my ILs.  I just couldn't spend all day regulating DS, who was getting on my last nerves spending all darn day harassing the poor dog.  I know the dog will be so much happier with the ILs -- daily walks, HUGE yard, they have a golden retriever he gets along well with, plenty of attention, plenty of treats.  We lived with them for almost a year at one point, so he knows their house, and knows them.  I know he'll be so much happier there without DS constantly trying to put things in his mouth, take his food, ride him, kick him, push him, poke him...  You get the idea.  But I miss him.  On a much lighter note, though, we got the insurance fiasco squared away regarding DD's hospital stay.  We'll still have to pay almost $2500, but that number is much smaller than $15,000 (PHEW).

 

 

 


I'm so sorry about your dog :( That would be really hard. I miss our cats when we're away from home overnight, so I can imagine how you must be feeling. Will you get to visit him much?

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

 

AFM - Tomorrow is DD's 3rd bday and my friend's visit.  I am struggling b/c I want to be excited about DD's birthday but there's this cloud of UGH surrounding the day.  I think I'm just going to have to forget that this chick is coming so I can get more excited for DD.  Stupid situation.  Weight watchers is going well I think, we'll see when I weigh in I suppose!  Finn's reflux seems to be more under control but I'm still getting puked on quite often -- I'm thinking of finding a chiro that specializes in infants to see if it might help.

 


It sounds like the swing is working great for you, but in regards to Finn's reflux have you considered one of these? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3739296 Malcolm really likes his, and I would imagine they would be great for reflux. I like it because I can drag it around to any room in the house.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FischK View Post


Bathing: We bathed DS2 for the third time today. He's 4 1/2 weeks old. We don't use soap on him, just warm water. We washed him because he looked crusty but I think it's some sort of rash that doesn't come of.


Malcolm has only had two baths, and they were kind of half-assed, but he had the same crusty kind of rash on his forehead and I used oil and a washcloth and rubbed in little circles and it got rid of the crusty skin. I used the EMAB baby oil.

 

post #106 of 118

Ugh to hospital bills.  Ours have started to trickle in too... gotta love those c-sections-- we're looking at about $7000 after insurance before its all said and done.  yuck.

 

and thanks for the tips on fireplace babyproofing.  i think i will wait for now and see how curious DD is about it as she gets mobile before i invest a small fortune in a gate.

 

fischk-- is it possibly just cradle cap?  my dd has it in her eyebrows.

post #107 of 118

Wow, I've missed so much over the past couple of days!

 

My brother in law and his wife came to visit this weekend, so it's been a busy one. Sooo tired after all of that, and I have an obscene amount of laundry to do. It was great, though, and I'm glad I got to see them again.

 

 

 

TMI Warning:

DH and I were DTD last night,and I had my bra on to contain any leakage... He decided it'd be a good idea to play with the girls instead. Well as we were finishing, he got sprayed, and it went up and came down all over his back. The sex was great, but it was a really funny ending. He helped me change the sheets and remake the bed. 

post #108 of 118
Magnolia slept for ten hours straight last night. I panicked when I woke up and realized it was already 7am. She usually wakes us up at least twice during the night, so I was so scared I was going to find her not breathing when I got to her sleeper. I know FF bed babies are supposed to sleep better, but is 10 hrs straight even safe? Or do I need to be waking her up to feed her during the night?
post #109 of 118

I personally would take it as a BIG gift :)!!!!

post #110 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStormy View Post

Magnolia slept for ten hours straight last night. I panicked when I woke up and realized it was already 7am. She usually wakes us up at least twice during the night, so I was so scared I was going to find her not breathing when I got to her sleeper. I know FF bed babies are supposed to sleep better, but is 10 hrs straight even safe? Or do I need to be waking her up to feed her during the night?

OK, I was worrying about the same thing last night when DD slept 8.5 hours straight. In the last bit she was mouthing the air and grunting a few times then falling back asleep, so I waited until she was more consistently awake before feeding her. Is that awful? She was super smiley when I finally got her out, and my boobs were ready to explode. She then slept another three hours after that feeding! I only caught a smaller chunk of her long sleep, but DH and I used it in a much better way. winky.gif
post #111 of 118
Thread Starter 

We are doing better these past 2 nights but MAN!  8-10 hours with no wake ups!?  I'm super jealous!!

post #112 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

We are doing better these past 2 nights but MAN!  8-10 hours with no wake ups!?  I'm super jealous!!


After DH woke up I was telling him how surprised I was that Magnolia slept that long. Apparently she didn't. She woke up around 4- he got up and fed her and I had a short conversation with him when he got back in the room. I remember none of it! Guess I was super tired! I'm normally a very very light sleeper but we were out of the house most of the day yesterday and walked a bunch- I haven't been on my feet that much since the csection so I guess it just wiped me out!
post #113 of 118
Thread Starter 

Hah!  Ok then.  My rule is if I don't remember getting up then it didn't happen.  winky.gif  

 

We've been doing better, like I said.  He's sleeping 4-5 hours in the swing, and then waking to nurse, and then I put him back in the swing with it off.  I put the music on and give it a little push, and then I go back to sleep too.  He'll sleep another 3 hours, then nurse, then go back to sleep.  I like doing that b/c he's still.  I read that swinging can cause them to sleep lighter, and they don't get the deep rest they need.  Makes me feel a smidgen better b/c I really feel like a bad mom that he sleeps in a swing and not in bed cuddled up next to me.  But with his reflux, it's the only thing that seems to be working.  Sigh.

post #114 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

Plus, anyone else got their new kid insurance bills? Yikes! Certainly weren't planning on that much new expense! I'd forgotten about them having us pay for the month the application was going ><


YES! Our insurance went up by over $100/mo with just the two of us on July 1st (the new year) and then we had to pay for the family rate starting Aug 1st... even though River wasn't born until Aug 14th.  I had no idea how expensive it could get. We are thinking we might have to move out of our place and get a small apartment in order to make the payments.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemama579 View Post
.

 

fischk-- is it possibly just cradle cap?  my dd has it in her eyebrows.

That's what I was thinking too. And River got it in his eyebrows too but no where else... isn't that weird. But it went away in about a week, I just wiped his face every day and put coconut oil on his eyebrows. I don't know if it actually helped, or if it just went away with time, but it was so sad looking! 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

 

We've been doing better, like I said.  He's sleeping 4-5 hours in the swing, and then waking to nurse, and then I put him back in the swing with it off.  I put the music on and give it a little push, and then I go back to sleep too.  He'll sleep another 3 hours, then nurse, then go back to sleep.  I like doing that b/c he's still.  I read that swinging can cause them to sleep lighter, and they don't get the deep rest they need.  Makes me feel a smidgen better b/c I really feel like a bad mom that he sleeps in a swing and not in bed cuddled up next to me.  But with his reflux, it's the only thing that seems to be working.  Sigh.

 

Sorry you are still dealing with the reflux issue. Did you mention that you took him to the ped recently? What did they say? Any Rx?

 

AFM, It's 5am here and I'm up pumping. This seems like the most productive time to do it, and doesn't interfere with DS's feeding, but I seriously HATE it! I just hope I don't wake up River when I get back into bed so I can get some sleep until at least 6 or 7. 

 

Oh yeah, and another thing. I just started to feel my let down this week. I thought I was one of those women who just don't feel it, but lately I get a burning sensation in the nipple that he's not nursing on when it happens. Took me a while to figure out what it was, since it's the same burning feeling I had when I had thrush, except it only lasts a few seconds. 
 

 

post #115 of 118
Thread Starter 
Yay for feeling let down!! That's exciting!

Yeah, Finn's been on zantac for about a week or so. Its def helping, but he does still spit up quite a bit. He doesnt seem in pain anymore though.
post #116 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

YES! Our insurance went up by over $100/mo with just the two of us on July 1st (the new year) and then we had to pay for the family rate starting Aug 1st... even though River wasn't born until Aug 14th.  I had no idea how expensive it could get. We are thinking we might have to move out of our place

 


It sucks so bad, I'm sorry :(

We're moving when our lease is up and I want to get a cheaper place, too. When we got this one, I was just so happy we could afford something nice, so I went for max budget. Next time we'll do that the opposite :P Plus, we need a yard. I'm not really sure why this place costs as much as it does, now that I live in it. Nooot worth it. We're looking to downsize everything we can - sadly it's just not much. I want him to drop his office rental because it's 200 or 250 and he doesn't use it even every week - and he can use all sorts of other places. We'll see.

 

And I realized last night, we still haven't gotten the bill for the midwives.

I've always been so broke but I've always made my bills. Suddenly I have access to good money - he has good income - but the bills are so high that we just can't pay them all right now. It's crazy to me.

 

I'm enjoying what might become my normal quiet time. Boys still in bed. I'm not sure how long that baby is going to sleep today, but I'm starting to want to wake him up for a diaper change if nothing else. I think he got in that diaper around midnight and it's almost 1130....... Ew. I think it's a crime to wake a happily sleeping baby, though.

 

post #117 of 118

Thanks for the suggestion about cradle cap. Looked it up and that seems likely. Will try some St. John's Wort oil on it. That seems to take care of most skin problems for me.

 

Sorry to hear about all those hospital bills and insurance increases everyone's being hit with. I don't know what I would do if I got a bill of that magnitude. I recently considered adding DS1 to my dental plan, but decided against it when I saw how much more it would be. Health insurance costs in this country are insane!

 

Congrats to all whose babies sleep through the night. We're still getting 2-3 hours on average, and I felt lucky when Anton slept for 4 1/2 hours a few nights ago. I'm really not functioning too well on these short sleep cycles and hope that soon we can only get up once per night.

 

AFM, it's raining. A lot. Since Friday. I feel locked in and having an antsy toddler around who substitutes outdoor play with playing on me while I deal with the insatiable baby doesn't help. Considering putting all the kids in the car and running some errands in the next big town to get a change of scenery and some space for myself. But what I really want to do is just walk out and go to the gym. :(

post #118 of 118
Thread Starter 

I'm so sorry to hear about all these insurance issues!!  Ugh.  I know we got some bills ($1000 for my panicky run to the hospital at 30 weeks) but otherwise I don't think we got hit with anything we weren't expecting.

 

What's weird is we haven't gotten an EOB from the midwife yet.  I haven't heard from her in weeks.  I wonder if she'll contact me for my 6 week visit or I'm supposed to call her?  Idk.  Strange.  You would think she'd have filed her claim, right?  I would think she'd want to get paid.

 

Here is our new weekly chat thread:

 

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1331727/weekly-chat-10-3-10-10#post_16684661

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2011 Birth Club
Mothering › Groups › August 2011 Birth Club › Discussions › Chitting and Chatting - 9/24 - 10/1