or Connect
Mothering › Groups › May 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › Homebirthers!

Homebirthers! - Page 8

post #141 of 514

Yeah, unless your midwife actually turns out to be picky, I wouldn't sweat it either.  Sometimes they look a lot more picky on paper than they actually are.

 

Both times I've prepped, it did feel like a huge deal, but then when I was finished it didn't feel like enough.  I kept wandering around sure I'd missed something.  I hadn't...it just turned out that the list was far quicker and easier to accomplish than I first thought.

post #142 of 514

Grace - thanks. That helped give me an idea of where to get things and how to get it cheap too. I guess it is just the big list that seems so daunting. I guess it's how I tend to react to things initially though. I would do the same thing at the beginning of every semester in college and grad school. I'd see the syllabus and feel so overwhelmed and convince myself I'd never be able to do it all, but I always did. I guess I don't do well with big lists of things! lol!  

 

Babycatcher, it seemed like most of the stuff on it was stuff that most midwives would need so I didn't get the feeling that it was an overly picky list. And coffee wouldn't be a big deal for most people, but that just jumped out at me since I don't drink it.  Thanks for the idea for the towels at Goodwill and the painters drop cloth.  I'm glad to hear the hose hookup wasn't a big deal. I guess since I don't know what I'm looking for, it seems scary but it doesn't sound like it's too hard to figure out.  

 

I think since my last birth was so easy and wonderful at the birth center that having to do anything seems like work! lol!  But I will definitely enjoy not having to labor in a car and not have to go outside in the freezing cold and then spend the next 30 minutes trying to warm up again.  

post #143 of 514


You will do just fine with the hose stuff. totally not a big deal like it sounds. 

I think that is what this thread is for - to encourage each other and help each other talk through our frustrations/fears/overwhelmed feelings. ((Big Hugs))  Also to share our excitement and joy!

 

I haven't got a list or anything yet. We interviewed the midwife clear back in week 4 or 5, but our first real appointment isn't until next week I assume. She is supposed to get back into town by the end of the first week in nov..

 

I am getting a little nervous. I will feel better when I get to hear the heartbeat and get to know t he midwife. My only option if a personality conflict or incompetency issue happens would be a hosp. birth. That has its time and place, don't get me wrong - but it is not my first choice in a healthy, low risk pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callieollie View Post

Grace - thanks. That helped give me an idea of where to get things and how to get it cheap too. I guess it is just the big list that seems so daunting. I guess it's how I tend to react to things initially though. I would do the same thing at the beginning of every semester in college and grad school. I'd see the syllabus and feel so overwhelmed and convince myself I'd never be able to do it all, but I always did. I guess I don't do well with big lists of things! lol!  

 

Babycatcher, it seemed like most of the stuff on it was stuff that most midwives would need so I didn't get the feeling that it was an overly picky list. And coffee wouldn't be a big deal for most people, but that just jumped out at me since I don't drink it.  Thanks for the idea for the towels at Goodwill and the painters drop cloth.  I'm glad to hear the hose hookup wasn't a big deal. I guess since I don't know what I'm looking for, it seems scary but it doesn't sound like it's too hard to figure out.  

 

I think since my last birth was so easy and wonderful at the birth center that having to do anything seems like work! lol!  But I will definitely enjoy not having to labor in a car and not have to go outside in the freezing cold and then spend the next 30 minutes trying to warm up again.  



 

post #144 of 514

I re-watched "The Business Of Being Born" last night. I didn't remember it ending with that Abby having a c. It is a pretty good movie, and I liked seeing Micheal Odent and Ina May Gaskin talk.

If no one has seen it, I recommend it.

post #145 of 514

I want to re-watch TBOBB too. I loved it but it's been awhile since I've seen it.  

 

I feel better after re-reading the packet from my midwife. I had read the whole thing, including "what to bring if you're birthing at someone else's home" and so I had in mind that there was a 2 page list of things to have ready, but it's really only 3/4 of a page long and not horrible.  I guess that's just how I react to things initially - irrational panic and then reality sets in.  lol!  

post #146 of 514
Thread Starter 

yeah, I didn't clean like crazy before my last home birth (no more than I NORMALLY would clean at that point in pregnancy... which is a lot!  Wish I'd clean that much NOW!!).  It's a lot different than gross hospital germs for sure!!  I actually think a friend who used to be a midwife apprentice is going to loan me a tub, so maybe I won't have to pay for that this time!  WHOOP!

post #147 of 514

I always thought that was weird.  I guess they were just trying to be honest, and that's what happened, so they ran with it.  I just felt like the whole time they were playing up homebirth...and then she had a c-section.  Struck me odd.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemoreontheway View Post

I re-watched "The Business Of Being Born" last night. I didn't remember it ending with that Abby having a c. It is a pretty good movie, and I liked seeing Micheal Odent and Ina May Gaskin talk.

If no one has seen it, I recommend it.



 

post #148 of 514

Just1more - haha - I'm awake and 'chatty' as all the kids fell asleep:

 

I think it is odd solely because of how honest it really was, usually I expect documentaries to be much more biased.

 

If that part wasn't in there I probably would have thought "Oh thats nice, but things dont always go smoothly-what then?". Instead you got to see where things didn't go as desired and a midwife knew enough of the scope of her practice to transfer care,

 

I kind of wondered today while going over the video in my mind why the midwife or doctor didn't catch the IUGR (sounds like that was the babes prob) as at the doctors appt. babe was 2 pounds 3 ounces on the ultra sound. Fast forward some and It showed her going into labor and being transferred because of breech.Then babe was born csec at 3 pounds 5 ounces.

Now unless they were really transferring because babe was premature and they just said breech for the purpose of the film (not so likely?) wouldn't have fundal measurements and palpatation have shown that babe was extremely small and something was going on? I felt like that could have been a chance to show a midwife not just reacting to a problem "oops! Problem!" but also being proactive.

 

I don't know, I felt that was the odd part. No one caught the babe was so small.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post

I always thought that was weird.  I guess they were just trying to be honest, and that's what happened, so they ran with it.  I just felt like the whole time they were playing up homebirth...and then she had a c-section.  Struck me odd.

 



 



 

post #149 of 514

So coffee- folgers and maxwell house make coffee "tea bags" now that are actually pretty good as oppose to instant. You make it juts like tea.

post #150 of 514

Thanks for the coffee help!  We have those little individual coffee packets at work but I wasn't sure how good they would taste to a coffee drinker. But it sounds like they would be just fine and a piece of cake to get and make. 

post #151 of 514
Thread Starter 

I didn't have coffee for my midwives last time...  I think we offered but they were only at our house from like 1am  (babe born at 154) until a few hours after the birth (I have NO idea what time it was when they left) and I'm sure they just were going to go home and straight to bed anyway.  I don't think midwives are going to be picky about what kind of coffee you have, they're prob not drinking it for taste ;-)  

post #152 of 514

Hi Ladies,

I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Ashlea. This will be my 3rd birth but my 1st homebirth. I had my first 2 children in a hospital. The first with tons of medical interventions but no pain medications and the 2nd I studied Hypnobabies, hired a Doula and labored mostly at home and was at the hospital for less than 2 hours before my daughter was born. I am very excited about choosing a homebirth this time but still a little nervous. I don't personally know any homebirth mom's other than my doula. I hired a CPM that I really like and feel certain we will have a great birth. I will study Hypnobabies as I am confident that it is AMAZING! I look forward to learning from all of you and sharing this neat time in our lives together.

Thanks!

Ashlea

post #153 of 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemoreontheway View Post

I kind of wondered today while going over the video in my mind why the midwife or doctor didn't catch the IUGR (sounds like that was the babes prob) as at the doctors appt. babe was 2 pounds 3 ounces on the ultra sound. Fast forward some and It showed her going into labor and being transferred because of breech.Then babe was born csec at 3 pounds 5 ounces.

Now unless they were really transferring because babe was premature and they just said breech for the purpose of the film (not so likely?) wouldn't have fundal measurements and palpatation have shown that babe was extremely small and something was going on? I felt like that could have been a chance to show a midwife not just reacting to a problem "oops! Problem!" but also being proactive.

 

I don't know, I felt that was the odd part. No one caught the babe was so small.

 


 



 


I wondered the same thing. I kept thinking that someone should have noticed. But the baby was actually premature. I think she was only 35 or 36 weeks, because she talks about having 4 or 5 weeks left, then goes into labor that same night. That's not extremely early or anything, but it's not full term.                       

 

post #154 of 514

Thanks for clearing that up! Makes sense, I figured I had to have missed something.

 

My first midwife appointment is next week sometime. I am getting excited. :) :) :)

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post


I wondered the same thing. I kept thinking that someone should have noticed. But the baby was actually premature. I think she was only 35 or 36 weeks, because she talks about having 4 or 5 weeks left, then goes into labor that same night. That's not extremely early or anything, but it's not full term.                       

 



 

post #155 of 514

greet.gif+- KK!!!!

 

I am getting really excited about the baby! I feel him/her a lot now and it's cool. I have been having dreams of slinging the babe whilst playing with my toddler love.gif

 

I have also had this very sudden calmness about the pregnancy and birth and not needing reassurance that it is all OK.

post #156 of 514

That is wonderful Sosu. I have been in a lot of pain lately so not feeling the baby so much, but I know what you mean about getting excited! I was never excited with my other 3 (more nervous!) but the excitement is there with this one!

post #157 of 514

We had the first midwife appointment on Wednesday.  She actually checked for twins (!!!) because I am measuring big (not by much, I am 15 wks, but am measuring like I'm 16).  We didn't hear any other baby though, phew!  I liked the midwife a lot, but we aren't delivering with her because we are moving in Jan.  It was pretty exciting to hear the heartbeat, plus there's something about going to a midwife that feel like pampering to me (is that sad? I don't know).  We borrowed BOBB from her too, we are going to watch is with my partners mother, she is always so anxious about homebirths.  

 

Oh, I finally told my parents, and they were actually excited!  I was so relieved.  I guess they've gotten over the fact that we aren't getting married any time soon.  Yay!

post #158 of 514

But then, I thought it was odd that if she was THAT early, they messed around at home as long as they did.  I mean...4-5 weeks left is a lot. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post


I wondered the same thing. I kept thinking that someone should have noticed. But the baby was actually premature. I think she was only 35 or 36 weeks, because she talks about having 4 or 5 weeks left, then goes into labor that same night. That's not extremely early or anything, but it's not full term.                       

 



 

post #159 of 514


Ok, since someone else brought it up I will admit that this is what I thought also. Yes I am armchair quarterbacking some one elses lovely birth. I'm sorry for that as a human, but I have to say that 4-5 weeks early could be 2 (not really early) to 7(!!!) weeks early if the dates were configured wrong. A babe measuring teeny small + any amount over 2 weeks early would warrant a decision to transport if it was me.

 

So, yes BOBB was a good documentary, and very honest. However, a few decisions left more questions than answers.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post

But then, I thought it was odd that if she was THAT early, they messed around at home as long as they did.  I mean...4-5 weeks left is a lot. 

 



 



 

post #160 of 514

Guess I'll check in in here too.  I'm still in the process of interviewing MWs.  I've already interviewed 5, I have appts for 3 more next week, and calls out to another 6.  Lots of choices around here - since that's discounting all the MWs I interviewed last time (6 or 8?). 

 

DS was a HB 2 years ago, and I learned all sorts of things that I did wrong that time around.  Not going to repeat those mistakes this time.  Hoping for a smoother (shorter) ride this time. 

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: May 2012 Birth Club
Mothering › Groups › May 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › Homebirthers!