i have a 6 week old daughter who suffered a lack of oxygen at birth & had several seizures--spending 12 days in the NICU. while she was in the hospital she had an MRI that showed "diffused brain damage" and we were told she could have anything between coordination problems to cerebral palsy and that it was a wait & see kinda thing. they sent her home with a prescription to phenabarbotol even though her last EEG in the hospital was clear of seizures.
she has been doing GREAT ever since. she is breastfeeding & showing normal development skills. i have taken her to cranial sacral therapy and to a feldenkrais therapist. she has also seen a physical therapist. all three seemed really happy with her tone, alertness, motor functions, etc.
however, monday she is scheduled to get a follow-up MRI. i tried to call her neurologist to ask if it was really necessary, but her neurologist is out of the country & i do not have an appointment with her until mid october. i feel like i shouldn't put her through the 5 hours of not being able to eat & the risks of sedation. it just seems cruel to me. especially if all they are going to find out is that--yes, she still shows signs of brain damage--or even--wow, she has miraclulously recovered. does an MRI offer a change in her treatment? i would like to wean her off of the phenobarbotol, but does an MRI have anything to do with this?
i'm waiting for a call back from the neurologist's office, but the MRI is scheduled for monday & i need to figure out what i'm going to do. i'm thinking i will just postpone.
can anyone offer any advice?