or Connect
Mothering › Groups › August 2011 Birth Club › Discussions › Now my diapers don't leak but they stink! BAD!

Now my diapers don't leak but they stink! BAD!

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
They smell like fish and ammonia. What.the.hell. Variety here - kissaluvs, itti bitti, fuzzi bunz - that's what I use for the most part. No hemp. I'm losing it! I've stripped them using dawn and now a week ago they start smelling.greensad.gif And really bad. I've used biokleen. We have hard water so I use rockin' green hard rock. Calgon water softener. I do not know what else to do. How do you get rid of your stink? They stink so bad I'm going to have to wash every day instead of every 2 days - then my water bill will be awful! Has anyone tried that laundry stuff..um R something. I forget the name of it but it's the only thing I haven't tried!
post #2 of 11

I get a box of Borax--in the laundry isle at regular grocery stores.  I like to use it periodically when the diapers are starting to smell.  We really haven't had an issue with smelly dipes, but this might be why.  The borax is also great for getting/keeping whites white.  I don't know if it will help you or not, but it is pretty cheap so might be worth a try.    Also, we have a top load washer and I wash my dipes on the super setting--they are really at a medium setting for size, but they seem to need the extra water--that might be something else to try, but would also increase water usage.  

post #3 of 11

lurk.gif

 

Did you strip them with Dawn?  That's my next step.

post #4 of 11

Distilled vinegar is my trick.  I soak the load in about a cup or 2 of it in the washer for a while before washing.  and always hot water.

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
I wish I could soak! I also wish I could tell my front loader to use more water, but I cannot. When I was cd'ing my previous child we did not have these issues with the top loader. I will have dh pick up some borax at the store. I've used it before. Carrie - yep, used Dawn. In fact, that's when the stink issues started. Wonder if they didn't get fully rinsed. I rinsed numerous times - I'm kind of embarrassed at all the water usage and our city has one of the very highest costs for water - our bill when not CD'ing is around $130! The closest thing I get to soaking is to put them on "no spin" so that they just get sopping wet.
post #6 of 11

we do a soak w baking soda (cold), wash w detergent than re-rinse with vinegar and things have not been smelly so far. Granted this is w a top loader. Can you have a bucket full of water to soak them w vinegar than do a rinse in the washer? Or, can you put vinegar in the softener section of your washer?

 

so, some of you do pre soak w hot water - I have read that pre soak w hot water will "burn the stains in the fabric" - this must be an exaggeration right?

post #7 of 11

Veggiemom, could you soak them in your tub or in a tupperware storage bin? That might help, I know people have used them before.

post #8 of 11

Sounds like you need a big bucket or something to do your soaking!  Although i wash everyday-- only because I only have 12 diapers though so I have to.

 

Elove-- I've never heard not to use hot water to soak.  I just figured it would help to sanitize?  Idk, but I haven't had much problem with staining so far.  I have one or two diapers with stains, but they were given to me that way.  The new ones I bought have remained stain-free.  Is it better to use cold water?  certainly more energy saving.

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomto2 View Post

I wish I could soak! I also wish I could tell my front loader to use more water, but I cannot. When I was cd'ing my previous child we did not have these issues with the top loader. I will have dh pick up some borax at the store. I've used it before. Carrie - yep, used Dawn. In fact, that's when the stink issues started. Wonder if they didn't get fully rinsed. I rinsed numerous times - I'm kind of embarrassed at all the water usage and our city has one of the very highest costs for water - our bill when not CD'ing is around $130! The closest thing I get to soaking is to put them on "no spin" so that they just get sopping wet.

After hearing all the complications with washing CDs in a front loader, we bought a 2nd hand 4yo toploader, just for diapers. If you've got the space, I'd recommend it! The washer was under 100$ in excellent condition. I use my efficient front loader for everything else, and just use this one for diapers.

My sister has a front loader, and I believe she throws a soaking wet towel in with her diapers (just saturate it in the laundry sink) to 'trick' the washer and allow more water into the load, which helps with getting the diapers clean.

The 'R' laundry treatment, is that RLR? I have some, but have not used it yet, haven't felt the need, bought it before we got the 2nd washer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elove View Post

we do a soak w baking soda (cold), wash w detergent than re-rinse with vinegar and things have not been smelly so far. Granted this is w a top loader. Can you have a bucket full of water to soak them w vinegar than do a rinse in the washer? Or, can you put vinegar in the softener section of your washer?

 

so, some of you do pre soak w hot water - I have read that pre soak w hot water will "burn the stains in the fabric" - this must be an exaggeration right?

I never rinse any "organic matter" soiled items in hot. Blood, poop .... all that gets rinse on cold. Hot water does bake stains into things, so will the dryer.

I also wash all my diapers separately from my covers. Pocket diapes are messing up my system though! Normally, and for 3 years with DS, I wash diapers 2x a week, cold rinse, hot wash + extra rinse. 1/4 the amount of detergent in the hot wash, with a drop of TTO. About once a month, or when I remember, I toss 1/2C of vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser. About once a month, or when I remember, but opposite the vinegar (so 2 weeks apart), I toss in a sprinkle of either borax or washing soda. I don't think I ever had to strip my diapers with DS, mostly prefolds & fitteds. For my covers, I wash them about once a week (I sew them, so we have lots), cold rinse, warm wash, extra rinse, again 1/4 the amount of suggested detergent, and no additives (no TTO, no vinegar, nothing.)
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
We have nowhere to put another washer! We actually got rid of ours when we got the front loader....if I would have only known i would have kept it and MADE IT WORK! Ugh. I will try soaking in a bin. Thanks for the ideas! It really is so gross smelling. I have to think I didn't get the dawn totally out because it started after that. Yes, RLR. Where did you find it? Dh couldn't find borax. eyesroll.gif I told him where it was, but he swore it wasn't there!
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomto2 View Post

We have nowhere to put another washer! We actually got rid of ours when we got the front loader....if I would have only known i would have kept it and MADE IT WORK! Ugh. I will try soaking in a bin. Thanks for the ideas! It really is so gross smelling. I have to think I didn't get the dawn totally out because it started after that. Yes, RLR. Where did you find it? Dh couldn't find borax. eyesroll.gif I told him where it was, but he swore it wasn't there!


I got my RLR from a friend who runs an online buying group/coop. Another group I'm on is about to run a buy on it, I'll PM you the info.  I haven't actually used it yet, as I haven't felt a need, but it's there on my shelf if the urge strikes! Borax is weird around here, some times it's right there, and sometimes it seems to be 'untrendy' and vanishes of shelves for a few months. I don't get it, and any time I ask about it, the staff at the shops either have no clue what it is, or are certain that it's "right there", or alternately, are certain they never had it, even when I've bought it there before!

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2011 Birth Club
Mothering › Groups › August 2011 Birth Club › Discussions › Now my diapers don't leak but they stink! BAD!