or Connect
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › Labor Snacks/Post-birth meal

Labor Snacks/Post-birth meal

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Does anyone have anything planned yet? Last time I had a big batch of soup frozen that I took out of the freezer at the beginning of labor. It was sooo nice to have a big pot of soup ready after baby was born. My mom and DD also made birthday cupcakes, which was fun.

 

This time I think I'm going to get samosas from the Indian restaurant that has a booth at our farmer's market. They should freeze well, and it just sounds really good to have a huge table full of Indian food after all that hard work!

 

I have no idea on snacks, though. I had some juice in the house last time, in case my blood sugar dropped, and I made muffins in early labor for everyone to have for breakfast, but I don't remember having any designated labor snacks. Any ideas?

post #2 of 20

We had a bunch of food in the fridge with which to feed our birth team, and have for after the birth, but since I laboured mostly at night, then had to transfer to hospital, we didn't need it. We had hummus and pita and veggies, muffins and banana bread, borscht, homemade bread and birthday cake (all but the birthday cake was vegan, as we didn't know the dietary status of our midwives). I didn't want any of it while I was in labour. Not even the popsicles at the hospital. Just juice. 

 

And when we got home, all I wanted was sushi. The rawest, fishiest ones. yummy.gif

 

The other food was nice for Home Day #2, though. 

 

ETA: DH made the soup and cake while I was in early labour, and I did the hummus and veggies during that time too. The rest we had pre-made in the freezer. 

post #3 of 20

I am planning on baking cupcakes as soon as I go into labor.  I really want to have a Birth Day celebration with candles and all!  I think that would be a really fun way for DS1 to welcome his brother into the world.  The birth center provides meals for me and DH will likely bring something or order out from a nearby restaurant (some of our faves are nearby).  As far as labor snacks, I'm not sure yet.  I have GD but I'm not sure if that will matter during labor....

post #4 of 20
I'm planning on having some sort of soup frozen to throw in the crockpot, some muffins, raw energy balls, cheese cubes, various fruits, yogurt tubes, nuts, coconut water and popsicles made with RRL tea and honey. Then after the birth, we have someone recruited to bring thai food as soon as we're ready.
post #5 of 20

J- keep in mind that you might go into labor at night and have a baby just a few hours later.  If you want those cupcakes around, I'd suggest asking someone else to do it!

 

With my first, I ate my comfort foods during the day when I was in early labor, and just some easy snacks like peanut butter on English muffins toward the evening when I was in active labor.

 

With #2 I didn't eat until after he was born b/c it was 9:30pm at night and he was born at 2:30am.  I had some toast and an orange if I recall correctly and then went to bed.  The midwife was only there for about 1.5 hours so she didn't eat anything either.

 

This time, I hope to have my MIL in the house when baby comes so she can whip up a snack or meal if necessary.  We'll just have sort of core foods in the house to make a variety of things and probably have a couple frozen meals in our second freezer as well.

post #6 of 20

I don't have any specific plans for labor foods.  I will keep my fridge fully stocked at that time and if I need something while in labor I will send my MIL to the store.  I will have some help, which is what other people are here for!  :)

post #7 of 20


True, but I'm not at all a fast laborer.  I come from a family of sloooowwww birthers, unfortunately!  I'm not the type who can sleep through the early contractions either, so I'll be up and around.  I will have everything prepped beforehand (dry ingredients in a jar, frosting ready, etc.) so it won't be much work.  I bake a lot, so I think it will be a nice thing to do (if I feel up to it, which could happen).  If push comes to shove, my MW will be here and will need something to do ;-)  She loves to bake too!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

J- keep in mind that you might go into labor at night and have a baby just a few hours later.  If you want those cupcakes around, I'd suggest asking someone else to do it!

 

With my first, I ate my comfort foods during the day when I was in early labor, and just some easy snacks like peanut butter on English muffins toward the evening when I was in active labor.

 

With #2 I didn't eat until after he was born b/c it was 9:30pm at night and he was born at 2:30am.  I had some toast and an orange if I recall correctly and then went to bed.  The midwife was only there for about 1.5 hours so she didn't eat anything either.

 

This time, I hope to have my MIL in the house when baby comes so she can whip up a snack or meal if necessary.  We'll just have sort of core foods in the house to make a variety of things and probably have a couple frozen meals in our second freezer as well.



 

post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

True, but I'm not at all a fast laborer.  I come from a family of sloooowwww birthers, unfortunately!  I'm not the type who can sleep through the early contractions either, so I'll be up and around. 

 

How long?  My first was 20 hours and I was doing things around the house for the first 15 or so hours as it started at 3am and ended at 11pm.  My second was about 5 hours all at night and there weren't really any early contractions since I started at 5+cm.  So you never know what's comin' your way!
 

 

post #9 of 20

I was craving deli turkey sandwiches with all the fixings right after I had my daughter, so I think I'll have one of those ready and waiting or might nibble on it during labor if it seems like it'll take longer to have the baby. Also, I have all ingredients ready and in the freezer for my placenta smoothie(except for the placenta lol) :)

post #10 of 20


I would LOVE a 5 hour labor, haha!  

Ours are all right around 20-24. Ugggghhhh.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

How long?  My first was 20 hours and I was doing things around the house for the first 15 or so hours as it started at 3am and ended at 11pm.  My second was about 5 hours all at night and there weren't really any early contractions since I started at 5+cm.  So you never know what's comin' your way! 

 



 

post #11 of 20

Both of my labors were long, lasting 27 hours.  However, my contractions were 10 minutes apart until nearly the end, which made it very manageable.  When I went into labor with #1 at 11:00pm, my mother told me to go back to sleep.  I didn't listen!  I was like, "no way, I'm about to have a baby!"  Well, I didn't give birth until 1:00am the following night, I was so tired by the end..  When I went into labor with #2 at 8:00pm, I went to sleep and rested all night long.  It made so much difference, it's really good advice to follow.  ;)  Now, if I have a fast labor this time I will be totally caught off guard.  I'm expecting another long slow labor too.   

 

Jaimee is right though, even someone with a history of long labors can have the random 5-6 hour labor.  My mom has mostly 24 hour labors and one 6 hour one.  :)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

True, but I'm not at all a fast laborer.  I come from a family of sloooowwww birthers, unfortunately!  I'm not the type who can sleep through the early contractions either, so I'll be up and around.  I will have everything prepped beforehand (dry ingredients in a jar, frosting ready, etc.) so it won't be much work.  I bake a lot, so I think it will be a nice thing to do (if I feel up to it, which could happen).  If push comes to shove, my MW will be here and will need something to do ;-)  She loves to bake too!

 

 

 



 

post #12 of 20


I think I'd be okay with not having cupcakes if the labor was so short! LOL.  Ugh I'm such a light sleeper, I just don't think I could doze.  I guess it's worth a try, though. Oh, it's so exciting to wonder how it's all going to go!

 

 

Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

Both of my labors were long, lasting 27 hours.  However, my contractions were 10 minutes apart until nearly the end, which made it very manageable.  When I went into labor with #1 at 11:00pm, my mother told me to go back to sleep.  I didn't listen!  I was like, "no way, I'm about to have a baby!"  Well, I didn't give birth until 1:00am the following night, I was so tired by the end..  When I went into labor with #2 at 8:00pm, I went to sleep and rested all night long.  It made so much difference, it's really good advice to follow.  ;)  Now, if I have a fast labor this time I will be totally caught off guard.  I'm expecting another long slow labor too.   

 

Jaimee is right though, even someone with a history of long labors can have the random 5-6 hour labor.  My mom has mostly 24 hour labors and one 6 hour one.  :) 

 



 

post #13 of 20

Luckily we live in the land of 'alternative restaurants'.  If your labor is fast, you could always send someone out to a vegan bakery and get some yummy cupcakes that you and your dh can enjoy.  :)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

I think I'd be okay with not having cupcakes if the labor was so short! LOL.  Ugh I'm such a light sleeper, I just don't think I could doze.  I guess it's worth a try, though. Oh, it's so exciting to wonder how it's all going to go!

 

 

 



 

post #14 of 20

definitely!  there is a great vegan bakery right by our birth center.  That's a great idea!

post #15 of 20

I didn't have a meal panned for after the first two births- so someone grabbed fast food and it made me sick. SO this time, I'm going to freeze some black bean soup or vegetarian chili and put it in crock pot the moment I'm in labor (my labors are short, under 7 hours and under 3 hours). I hope it has time to cook ;) I'd love to bake cupcakes too but I had 40 mins of early/"easier" labor with #1 and about 10 mins with #2. So no time...  Of course, watch  #3 be the wild card!

post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

I was craving deli turkey sandwiches with all the fixings right after I had my daughter, so I think I'll have one of those ready and waiting or might nibble on it during labor if it seems like it'll take longer to have the baby. Also, I have all ingredients ready and in the freezer for my placenta smoothie(except for the placenta lol) :)



What "recipe" are you using for your placenta smoothie? I need to get ingredients too. 

post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayPea View Post

What "recipe" are you using for your placenta smoothie? I need to get ingredients too. 



5 strawberries, handful of blueberries, 1/4 of a mango, and a dash of whatever fruit juice I have on hand. Since all of that will be frozen besides the fruit juice, I won't put ice in it. Then, I think I'll have an inch(?) cut off of the end of the placenta to throw in there and blend. Try to avoid fruits that are acidy(oranges, lemons/lemon juice), as that may upset your stomach right after delivery. Especially if you bleed alot right after.

 

post #18 of 20

With my daughter I had just eaten dinner shortly before I went into labor and then it was *BOOM* into hard labor where my husband had to rush home and we went straight to the hospital.  When I got into the room I stood up and threw up in the sink, meanwhile my water broke!  Blech, I think my husband still has nightmares about that, because on top of it the fluid was green because the muconium (sp?) had already been passed....all in all labor was only 8.5 hours and I never really felt hungry or thirsty--but my poor DH didn't have time to grab anything either so I know it would be nice for him to have something.  I had fresh fruits washed and ready and some other small snacks in the fridge, but we forgot them in our rush. 

 

This time we are planning a home birth, it was going to be at the birth center but there is so much to juggle (traffic, DD, getting home from work, the dog, etc.) that we think it sounds pretty nice to just have everyone come to me ;)  Of course, who knows, I may go into labor in the middle of the night.

 

I'm pretty much just planning on having whatever snacks DH wants and some grapes or something easy/fresh for labor, maybe some juice or popsicles sound nice, too.  Haven't even thought about a meal afterwards!  But, I like the idea of having a soup or something ready to throw in the crock pot, it will be November after all.  I just can't even imagine trying to bake or prepare a meal or sleep because last time it was just instant active labor (contractions about 5 mins apart and intense!) and she didn't arrive until after 3 in the morning.  Honestly, I don't even remember eating anything before leaving the hospital, it's all such a blur and I just remember trying to get some sleep but being so uncomfortable and just when I would doze off a damn nurse would come wake me and make me feed the baby (who had also just gotten to sleep), SO annoying!  I don't think DH got any sleep that night.  It was so miserable that we checked out by noon instead of staying another night, and it definitely put me off of wanting another hospital birth. 

 

Man, this is really happening in a few weeks! Sheesh.

post #19 of 20

I froze pineapple chunks and grapes to eat during labour.  The grapes were too sweet but the pineapple chunks were delicious!  Other than that, I think I had a yogurt and didn't feel like much else.   I had toast and honey after my daughter was born and orange juice.  It was the middle of the night.  I made peanut butter cookies during early labour the first time to keep myself busy.

post #20 of 20

I have recently fallen in love with frozen grapes and will be buying some grapes on all upcoming grocery trips and freezing some to ensure that I have some to eat when I am in labor or for afterwards. I also want to have some homemade chicken noodle soup ready to go to eat either while I'm at home or when we come home from the BC. As for food while at the BC, I think I'm just going to have some light snacks on hand... Apple sauce, bagels or english muffins with peanut butter, almonds... something easy to eat and quick. :)

 

I LOVE the idea of having a birthday celebration for the baby... Maybe I will add making cupcakes to the early labor- staying distracted list. Of course, I have like, 1000 things planned to keep me distracted when I'm in labor and not quite ready to go to the birth center yet...

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: November 2011 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › Labor Snacks/Post-birth meal