If your DCs bday was less than 1 week before the deadline, what things would you look at over the next 6 months to decide whether to enroll in K for next year? What other factors would you take into consideration unrelated to your DC, if any? Like, if waiting the extra year bought you another year to save for a house in a good public school district & kept your DC out of the crappy public school for K next year, would that matter? Would you consider waiting so that siblings could be closer in school years? Or would it only come down to whether or not DC was ready? And what if you weren't sure when it came time to register?
I am a 9/30 bday & started K at 4. I believe that in middle school, I was less mature than the other girls & it may have impacted my social skills slightly, although I was popular, very involved & had lots of friends. Other aspects that stunk were I couldn't drive until a month into my Senior year & in college, I couldn't go out with my peers until a month into my Senior year. (superficial concerns but they were reality for me at the time)
DD has completed 1 year of 2 day a week preschool & is now in her 2nd year of PS & is attending 3 days/week. They go 9am to 1pm. She loves it & would love to go 5 days but for now, we don't want to pay the extra $. She is writing her 1st & last name, is very social, loves to color/draw, talk etc. She is still struggling with being quiet when it's time for someone else to talk and stuff like sharing...pretty age appropriate stuff.
We are moving in 3 weeks & the Preschool I want to enroll her in has a 3 year old program, a 4 year old program and then their own K program. Ideally, she will be there for K since we will be renting in a crappy, failing school district for 2-4 years & I do not want her to attend that public school if I can avoid it. She just turned 4. I can't decide if I should have her go into the 4 program now and repeat, then do K. Or do 4 then K. Or do 3, then 4, then K.