or Connect
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › Labor Prediction Quiz....JFF :)

Labor Prediction Quiz....JFF :) - Page 2

post #21 of 42

Fun! And I'm quite fine with this. We are totally not ready for this baby yet! While I can't wait to meet him/her there is so much we have to do and DH is dragging his feet!

 

"I know you were hoping we weren't going to say this, but don't expect this baby to come early. Your baby is nice and comfy tucked away in your womb and has no interest in joining the rest of the world. We predict your baby will be born after its due date. Your baby will most likely be born in the morning. Justmommies predicts that your baby will weigh approximately 7.5 pounds and that your labor will be about 11 hours long."

 

post #22 of 42

I think that they might base it more on your previous baby's info, if you have had one already.  I was two weeks' overdue but my daughter was two weeks' early.  I am really trying to manage my expectations in case I go right past my due date this time but this didn't really help!

 

Get your bags packed early just in case you need them. Make sure your partner has a phone available when he's away because this baby just might come early. We predict your baby will come 2-3 weeks early. Your baby will most likely be born in the morning. Justmommies predicts that your baby will weigh approximately 8.2 pounds and that your labor will be about 12 hours long.

 

 

post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcacat View Post

I think that they might base it more on your previous baby's info, if you have had one already.  I was two weeks' overdue but my daughter was two weeks' early. 

 

 

I think so, too, b/c I did it first without all of my or dh's info and ended up with the same answer once I added more about me and dh.

post #24 of 42

This was a fun little quiz!

 

 

I know you were hoping we weren't going to say this, but don't expect this baby to come early. Your baby is nice and comfy tucked away in your womb and has no interest in joining the rest of the world. We predict your baby will be born after its due date. Your baby will most likely be born in the morning. Justmommies predicts that your baby will weigh approximately 8.8 pounds and that your labor will be about 17 hours long.

post #25 of 42
I took another quiz on there to predict gender. 50% chance of a boy...go figure.

The labor quiz said baby'd be late. I had to choose a lot of "unsure"s because both I and baby's daddy were cs.
post #26 of 42

Interesting. My doctor says the same thing about the weight and when he'll come.

 

You won't need to try any secret recipes to bring on labor. Have your emergency numbers ready. Don't wait until the last minute to get your nursery ready. We predict your baby will come 1-2 weeks early. Your baby will most likely be born in the morning. Justmommies predicts that your baby will weigh approximately 8.3 pounds and that your labor will be about 12 hours long.

post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTCChloeOrConner View Post

Interesting. My doctor says the same thing about the weight and when he'll come.

 

I never understand why care providers would even attempt to predict anything about when babies will be born.  You just never know and telling a woman (especially a first timer) that the baby will come early is like a jinx that it won't and then you're sitting there anxious about why baby isn't here yet.  My cousin had that happen to her just recently.  Her mw told her she thought the baby would come a bit early and her labor would be quite quick.  The baby was over 2 weeks late and she labored for a long time and ended up with a c-section.  It's just not mentally helpful!   Silly quizzes are one thing, but we trust our care providers!

post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

I never understand why care providers would even attempt to predict anything about when babies will be born.  You just never know and telling a woman (especially a first timer) that the baby will come early is like a jinx that it won't and then you're sitting there anxious about why baby isn't here yet.  My cousin had that happen to her just recently.  Her mw told her she thought the baby would come a bit early and her labor would be quite quick.  The baby was over 2 weeks late and she labored for a long time and ended up with a c-section.  It's just not mentally helpful!   Silly quizzes are one thing, but we trust our care providers!



Agree!  I knew of someone recently who was told by her doc that she'd have her baby "within the week".... she was only 37 weeks!  WHY would you tell a first time mom she is going to have her baby early?  Chances are you're completely wrong duh.gif  She did have her baby close to the due date, but my gosh those last weeks must have been much more agonizing than they needed to be.  I think they are trying to keep the mom hopeful but it really has the opposite effect.  

 

I was a WRECK the last few weeks of my first pregnancy.  Society puts SO much emphasis on the "due date" that it was hard, though I tried, to get that "deadline" out of my head.  I ended up being induced 10 days post date.  

This time we took the approach of thinking of November as our "due month".  We're due right smack in the middle so it seems reasonable to assume he'll come *sometime* in November.  When people ask when we are due, that is literally what we tell them- Sometime in November.  We've gotten some confused looks, but you know what, I am MUCH more relaxed than I was with #1.  It's still early, but I can tell that I already have the mindset that I don't mind if I am late.  I know I'll probably be uncomfortable but I feel optimistic so far.  It's almost as if I just feel like I'll be pregnant for a good long while still and that's okay.  It's hard to explain, I just really don't care when baby comes.  Late, early, on time, whatever he wants.  

 

Part of that might also be the fact that I know what those sleepless nights are like, and while I am so excited to meet our baby I also know that it's hard at first and it will be such a transition for DS1 as well.  So he can stay in if he wants :-)  

 

One last thing:  It bugs me when I see pregnancy announcements from friends that say something like "expecting baby X on December 2, 2011!"  I wanna scream, "Oh honey, don't set yourself up like that"..... All that is going to lead to is a late baby, a frustrated mama, and likely an unnecessary induction (like mine.)  Booo.

 

 

(Sorry that was long.  Must have hit a nerve orngbiggrin.gif)

 

post #29 of 42

lol.gifJ!  I reread my post after I submitted it and thought, man I'm grumpy!  Thanks for backing me up and making not feel like I'm the only one!

post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

lol.gifJ!  I reread my post after I submitted it and thought, man I'm grumpy!  Thanks for backing me up and making not feel like I'm the only one!


 

Of course winky.gif  I thought to myself after I hit "submit" that maybe docs are trying to set moms up for induction by creating that agonizing feeling of "this baby is never coming, let's get him/her out".  Seems completely possible these days with the current medical mindset.  I'm glad my midwife doesn't EVER let me think that this baby will come early just because I'm a second-timer.  She is quick to dispel any myths that society has created re: baby's timing. 

post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

 

Of course winky.gif  I thought to myself after I hit "submit" that maybe docs are trying to set moms up for induction by creating that agonizing feeling of "this baby is never coming, let's get him/her out".  Seems completely possible these days with the current medical mindset.  I'm glad my midwife doesn't EVER let me think that this baby will come early just because I'm a second-timer.  She is quick to dispel any myths that society has created re: baby's timing. 



Good for your midwife! Luckily, no provider every gave me any predictions for labor. However, I messed it up for myself with #2! Because dd1 was born on her due date, I though dd2 would be a few days early... you know the idea that the second should come earlier? So when I hit the due date with no baby, I was so miserable! That last 5 days drove me insane. I immediately felt "late" when the due date came. Entirely my fault, but I think I've learned my lesson. This time, I'm expecting to be "late". I'm just hoping I'm not really, really overdue. I just don't feel like pushing out a ginormous baby. 9 1/2 lbs was one thing. I'd prefer not to go for 10 1/2 lbs!! 

 

Btw, can anyone remember the average date for spontaneous labor in first time moms? Isn't it well past 40 weeks? I can't remember...

post #32 of 42

 

About 50% of women would have their baby between 39 and 41 weeks.
Only about 5% of babies would be born on their actual due date.
Up to 88% of women would have their baby between 38 and 42 weeks.
About 6-7% of babies would be born premature (before 37 weeks).

If not induced, a small number of babies would be born after 42 weeks. In 2003 in Australia, about 1.5% of babies were born in the 42nd week or more.

 

_from birth.com.au

 


 

Mittendorf's rule is that FTM's have an average gestation of 40weeks + 8days.  Second time mamas have an average gestation of 40 weeks +3 days.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkToMeNow View Post

Good for your midwife! Luckily, no provider every gave me any predictions for labor. However, I messed it up for myself with #2! Because dd1 was born on her due date, I though dd2 would be a few days early... you know the idea that the second should come earlier? So when I hit the due date with no baby, I was so miserable! That last 5 days drove me insane. I immediately felt "late" when the due date came. Entirely my fault, but I think I've learned my lesson. This time, I'm expecting to be "late". I'm just hoping I'm not really, really overdue. I just don't feel like pushing out a ginormous baby. 9 1/2 lbs was one thing. I'd prefer not to go for 10 1/2 lbs!! 

 

Btw, can anyone remember the average date for spontaneous labor in first time moms? Isn't it well past 40 weeks? I can't remember...



 

post #33 of 42

Neat stats, J!  Does anyone else know of other sites with similar type of stats that we could compare these to?

post #34 of 42

no prob :-)  I think it's interesting that we maintain the 40-week gestation *rule* here in the US but in a few other countries (France is one I know off the top of my head) it is 41 weeks.  I didn't know American and French babies were all that different in how long they needed to bake lol.gif  Either way, I understand why we calculate EDDs but I wish more practitioners would emphasize a due "week" or even due "month" mentality.  

post #35 of 42

I was just browsing some journal articles (ds is napping, yay!) and saw that there have been NUMEROUS studies done that conclude that careful observation of postdate pregnancies allowing spontaneous labor has a better outcome than routine induction.

post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

I was just browsing some journal articles (ds is napping, yay!) and saw that there have been NUMEROUS studies done that conclude that careful observation of postdate pregnancies allowing spontaneous labor has a better outcome than routine induction.


Makes perfect sense to me!  Hospital policy is so frustrating. duh.gif  

My experience (hello anecdotal evidence) was that during my induction baby's HR kept decelerating.  Now, I'm not a doc, so I don't know for sure how big the decels were nor do I know if they were dangerous or not.  I don't recall them being huge drops, except one time (his HR got down to 70's while I was on the birthing ball) and they pulled the cervidil because of that.  I was then only allowed to lay in the bed from that point on.  But the funny thing to me was they kept blaming my placenta for the decels and issues we were having.  Never once did anyone point out that the induction methods used (cervidil, pitocin) are known to cause fetal distress such as the HR issues we were experiencing.  SO weird- just blame it on my body.  I mean, I'll never know if it truly was my placenta (my son was doing perfectly up until induction- we had an NST) or if it was truly the meds, but I know what I believe it was... And we trust those people to allow us informed consent?  Doesn't seem so *informed* when they only tout the benefits of a given procedure and don't outline the risks. 

I knew a lot about birth then but chose induction at that point because DH was 2 days away from having to return to work, so I don't regret the actual decision to induce.  But I also know that *if* my placenta was "deteriorating* that my body is smart enough to go into labor on it's own.  Docs think they're doing us these huge favors by saving us from our "faulty" bodies.  It just doesn't work that way.  Women's bodies aren't stupid.  eyesroll.gif

 

 

post #37 of 42

While I'm anxious to meet this baby, I wouldn't be so worried about going "late" if the birth center didn't have a policy that if you go past 41 weeks, you have to deliver in the hospital.  I really have my heart set on a birth center birth and I have thought throughout this pregnancy that baby would come early but now at 37.5 weeks... I just don't know.  I wish I could feel more relaxed about it but I do have this mental deadline of 11/11/11 (the day I'll be 41 weeks) for this baby to get here (or for labor to start at least).

post #38 of 42

Katie, I had that same issue with my first at our birth center.  I was definitely anxious about not getting risked out for any reason.  Now, this is controversial and something you'd need to research and come to a decision that you feel comfortable with, but there are herbs and supplements that you can start taking now that you're full term that MIGHT encourage labor a little sooner than it might have come.  Generally, not much is going to make baby come until baby is ready, but helping the cervix to ripen so that it can start to efface and then dilate can move things along a bit.  And certain herbs can encourage contractions if the uterus is ready, which can help get things moving as well. 

 

So at 37 weeks (with my first) I started taking black cohosh and evening primrose oil.  EPO is supposed to help ripen the cervix, which is step one.  You can take it orally or insert it vaginally.  Black and blue coshosh are the more controversial herbs b/c there have been some anecdotal connections between blue cohosh and respiratory issues- but none of these are backed up with studies.  So I chose to take just black cohosh.  There are labor tinctures that contain both (I took one of these with my second).   I also think that visualization helps a lot.  It might sound a bit corny, but with my hypnobirthing course one of the exercises was to visualize what day and time labor would begin.  I just let my mind wander and a date and time manifest in my head and they did!  I focused on this for weeks while doing the course and you know what?  She came 2 days earlier than the day I was visualizing and the timing was almost right on as well. 

 

No one really knows how this all works, so you might find the more zen wait-for-it-to-happen approach fits you better, but I like to feel like I'm taking a more active role in it!  orngbiggrin.gif

post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

Katie, I had that same issue with my first at our birth center.  I was definitely anxious about not getting risked out for any reason.  Now, this is controversial and something you'd need to research and come to a decision that you feel comfortable with, but there are herbs and supplements that you can start taking now that you're full term that MIGHT encourage labor a little sooner than it might have come.  Generally, not much is going to make baby come until baby is ready, but helping the cervix to ripen so that it can start to efface and then dilate can move things along a bit.  And certain herbs can encourage contractions if the uterus is ready, which can help get things moving as well. 

 

So at 37 weeks (with my first) I started taking black cohosh and evening primrose oil.  EPO is supposed to help ripen the cervix, which is step one.  You can take it orally or insert it vaginally.  Black and blue coshosh are the more controversial herbs b/c there have been some anecdotal connections between blue cohosh and respiratory issues- but none of these are backed up with studies.  So I chose to take just black cohosh.  There are labor tinctures that contain both (I took one of these with my second).   I also think that visualization helps a lot.  It might sound a bit corny, but with my hypnobirthing course one of the exercises was to visualize what day and time labor would begin.  I just let my mind wander and a date and time manifest in my head and they did!  I focused on this for weeks while doing the course and you know what?  She came 2 days earlier than the day I was visualizing and the timing was almost right on as well. 

 

No one really knows how this all works, so you might find the more zen wait-for-it-to-happen approach fits you better, but I like to feel like I'm taking a more active role in it!  orngbiggrin.gif


I've been taking EPO orally (and religiously) for the past couple weeks, and I'm open to whatever else may encourage labor.  I have the hypnobirthing book and cd (haven't opened that book in ages... I just have SO many childbirth books kicking around!) so I'll look into the visualization aspect.  I'm very into that!  Could you tell me more details about what your herbs/visualization regimen looked like, if you're comfortable?  You can PM me if you like.

 

Thanks so much, Jaimee!

post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKatie View Post

I've been taking EPO orally (and religiously) for the past couple weeks, and I'm open to whatever else may encourage labor.  I have the hypnobirthing book and cd (haven't opened that book in ages... I just have SO many childbirth books kicking around!) so I'll look into the visualization aspect.  I'm very into that!  Could you tell me more details about what your herbs/visualization regimen looked like, if you're comfortable?  You can PM me if you like.

 

Thanks so much, Jaimee!


Sure, let's start a new thread so everyone can chime in with what they have tried, why, what (if any) affect they think it had, etc.

 

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: November 2011 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › Labor Prediction Quiz....JFF :)