or Connect
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › November Chit Chat

November Chit Chat - Page 10

post #181 of 1257

THIS.  Babies are much easier to care for in the womb, haha!  We're not trying to scare you Katie, but shit gets REAL once baby is out.  It's not just holding and snuggling and cooing.  Not by a long shot.  ENJOY THIS TIME!!!  Diapers! No sleep! Crankiness (yours, not baby's, haha!)  Changes in your marriage, absolutely no free time .... I'll stop.  But yes, the end of pregnancy is hard but I think in a different way the newborn phase is harder.  Unless you get a really easy baby in which case, don't talk to me about it. hahahahaha
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

Honestly, one of the best things that I have found for myself is thinking of all the things that are going to negatively change once the baby is out.  As a FTM this is harder to do b/c you don't yet truly know how things will change, but you can take some educated guesses.  I know this may seem counterproductive for some b/c instead of focusing on the negative of now, I'm focusing on the negative of the future, but that negative helps me to see the positives of now and I'll deal with everything else later.   winky.gif

 

So I start out with the obvious, SLEEP.  When baby gets here I will not get more than 2-3 hour blocks of sleep for about 2 years.  That means I should really be grateful for the fact that right now I can put my kids to bed and they mostly stay there (when we're not all sick).  FREE TIME... when baby gets here I can kiss my 1-2 hours of ds' nap time goodbye.  No longer will I get to lounge on the couch and read, watch TV, eat alone, check my email, etc. during that time.  NOT NURSING... when baby gets here it's back to breastfeeding again, back to being on call for baby's food, baby's comfort, baby's everything.  That SPECIAL factor... often when you're done being pregnant there is this let down, this feeling of no longer being special.  Now the baby is special and you're just the mom- this can be hard to reconcile.  Drink in that specialness now.  DIAPERS... ugh.   WORRY... certainly there are some things that cause anxiety while pregnant, but for me, once that baby is out, it's much more pronounced- that mother worry.   Right now baby feels safe inside me, but soon I'll have another little soul to worry endlessly about.    And so on...

 

When I go through these things in my mind, I start to really feel grateful that I'm still pregnant and have some time to go.  I do fully recognize that your situation is different- you're farther along and dealing with an undesireable timeline.  But it is not outside the realm of possibility that if you start to appreciate this time you have now for all that it is and RELAX that your body will suddenly feel ready.  'Cause that's just how this works- just like parenthood- as soon as you feel comfortable and confident in one place, everything changes!  lol.gif

 

grouphug.gif Mama!  It could happen tonight!
 

 



 

post #182 of 1257
Thread Starter 

I'll put what I find over in the labor induction thread...

post #183 of 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

I'll put what I find over in the labor induction thread...



Thanks, Jaimee!  FWIW I've heard 10 minutes on one breast, switch, then take a break until the next hour starts.  Just not sure how many hours.... 

post #184 of 1257
Yes to everything that's been said about enjoying the time left. Especially the not worrying. Babies are so tiny and fragile.. Much easier to take care of when they are still inside.

I also agree with J about trying to feel a bit better about the hospital. I typically don't say much on birthing at the hospital because I don't feel like I share the majority view. But I will say that I don't feel they are always these evil places just waiting to throw unnecessary interventions at you. Especially not when you are there with a trusted midwife. I know and trust that I will have a good birth at the hospital. Even my first birth with a more medically minded midwife was great. Staying at home as long as possible helps, too. I got there just in time to push.

I know this time I will be able to be in the tub, I will only have intermittent monitoring with a Doppler, there really isn't much of a time table or deadline, no IV, etc. Sure, I'll have to deal with the typical triage crap, but that's only for 30 min or so.

Katie, maybe talk to your midwife about what it might be like at the hospital to set your mind at ease. Have you toured it? I did, and was pretty pleased. Anyway, just some thoughts...
post #185 of 1257

Katie, I think I remember you saying that you don't have to be induced if you go past 41w right?  It just simply means that you'll have to be at the hospital after you go into labor instead of the birthing center?  Really, if that's the case it probably won't be all that much different.  If you go past 41w, just wait until you're in really active labor before you head anywhere.  I mean, they can't induce you or force anything on you if you're really far along.  It's not like you have to have a forced c-section at 41w, it simply means that your birthing location will change which isn't the end of the world.

 

post #186 of 1257

Thanks, everyone.  I just got back from a long walk and will be heading to my acupuncture/massage soon.  It's true that after 41 weeks, only the venue would change.  It's just that I'm having a hard time reeling my mind in when it goes to scary places.

 

I've toured the hospital and I WAS pleasantly surprised, for the most part.  I didn't exactly feel relaxed there, and it definitely doesn't come with the comforts of the birth center, but you're right, it wouldn't be the end of the world...

 

As for castor oil and meconium, my midwife was pretty adamantly certain that there is no connection -- and she's been doing this for 30+ years.  I am freaked out by what I've read online, but I trust this particular midwife 100%, and if she said to go for it, I think I'd give it a whirl.

post #187 of 1257

Grrrr.  I've gone this whole pregnancy without stretch marks.  Until NOW!  I just noticed a few developing near my belly button.  Argh.  It's unbelievably superficial, I know.  But c'mon, do I really need another reason to want to get this show on the road sooner rather than later?

post #188 of 1257
Just reading along and Katie, I hope for you that she does come before the 41 week mark! It would be best to be where you feel comfortable. I agree with all of the other posters about not rushing things though. Just stay relaxed and things will happen when they happen. Stay rested and drink lots of fluids. That's my plan anyway.

I had an appointment with my family practitioner today for OMT (osteopathic manipulation therapy). We're at a different place with this pregnancy, having to rely on state health insurance. I can't have a homebirth this time around and I can't go to the chiropractor. So I've settled with a wonderful CNM at a more relaxed hospital and am planning a waterbirth so long as Room 4 is available lol.gif My midwife assures me that this is usually the case. She seems pretty relaxed about me going postdate, and by postdate I mean past 42 weeks and she even seem relaxed at the prospect of meconium due to being postdate. She says that they don't suction before the baby is fully delivered anymore, so even if there is meconium, it probably wouldn't change my birth plans too much (i.e. waterbirth). I'm having my back adjustments done by my PCP so my insurance will cover it and that's not too bad either. My other children are 5, 4, and 2, so I am focusing on enjoying the time that I will have just with the baby at the hospital before going home. It's not ideal, but I am definitely seeing the positives!

My PCP has asked me both if I have my bags packed and if I'm excited yet. I'm 38 weeks today. My answer was, "I'll get excited once I hit 40 weeks" and, "Really, how much do I need to pack that I have to do it ahead of time?" It's funny how things are so much different the fourth time around. I am excited and happy, but I am not at all anxious. Quick history: induced at hospital by AROM at 41w5d w/DD (OB practitioner), induced at hospital with pitocin at 39w3d w/DS for SROM (same OB), and homebirth with CPM at 42w5d w/DD2. I imagine this one will come sometime after 41w - just a hunch!
post #189 of 1257

OT--I wonder if extreme crankiness and loud-mouthed-ness is a labor sign??  Cause I am on a roll on FaceBook and I need to stop myself!  Quite sure I've pissed off and.or offended someone, haha. And I've been holding back.  I am usually the most even-tempered, peaceable, mediator type...at least on the outside.  On the inside I'm always strongly opinionated, but usually tact reigns me in.

 

So there's this news story about this mother who apparently tried to sign her day-old baby out AMA, and they're calling it abduction.  WTF.  Go see it on my FaceBook if you want to.  It's doubly disturbing cause it's very local to me, and I gave birth in that hospital once before!  I mean, regardless of the details....um, parents' rights over their own child?!

 

Anyway.  Hubby filled up the birth balls for me, and now they feel like proper birth balls--annoyingly effective at moving baby down!  I've been having contrax all day again, tho the bloody show is all but absent now.  Also, my dad brought home the most evil chocolate donuts.  Think I'll take a walk.  I should walk off some of those donut calories, haha.

post #190 of 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablemec View Post

Grrrr.  I've gone this whole pregnancy without stretch marks.  Until NOW!  I just noticed a few developing near my belly button.  Argh.  It's unbelievably superficial, I know.  But c'mon, do I really need another reason to want to get this show on the road sooner rather than later?


I had the same minimal stretch marks with 1 and 2. They are just above my belly button and completely disappear after birth. I was still wearing a bikini, no problem. Well, not it the past couple of years, but that wasn't about the stretch marks! It's about my late 20's/ early 30's weight gain.

Anyway, I noticed brand new stretch marks yesterday! I was all, "Oh heck no. Time to give this kid an eviction notice!". They are on my sides and red. Red!!

Oh well. What can you do? smile.gif
post #191 of 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post

OT--I wonder if extreme crankiness and loud-mouthed-ness is a labor sign??  Cause I am on a roll on FaceBook and I need to stop myself!  Quite sure I've pissed off and.or offended someone, haha. And I've been holding back.  I am usually the most even-tempered, peaceable, mediator type...at least on the outside.  On the inside I'm always strongly opinionated, but usually tact reigns me in.

 

So there's this news story about this mother who apparently tried to sign her day-old baby out AMA, and they're calling it abduction.  WTF.  Go see it on my FaceBook if you want to.  It's doubly disturbing cause it's very local to me, and I gave birth in that hospital once before!  I mean, regardless of the details....um, parents' rights over their own child?!

 

Anyway.  Hubby filled up the birth balls for me, and now they feel like proper birth balls--annoyingly effective at moving baby down!  I've been having contrax all day again, tho the bloody show is all but absent now.  Also, my dad brought home the most evil chocolate donuts.  Think I'll take a walk.  I should walk off some of those donut calories, haha.


You crack me up.  Can you point me in the direction of the tact department, because I don't think I've EVER had it.  Ha!

 

 

So I got some really bad news today.  I'll post more about it in a new thread so I don't take up all the chit chat thread, but baby is breech :-(

 

post #192 of 1257
LMAO at myself. I keep leaking colostrum onto my nightshirts. So, sitting here alone, I just curiously squeeze a little to see and squirt myself in the eye! Don't think I'll be lacking in the milk department this time around. ROTFLMAO.gif
post #193 of 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivated Mama View Post

LMAO at myself. I keep leaking colostrum onto my nightshirts. So, sitting here alone, I just curiously squeeze a little to see and squirt myself in the eye! Don't think I'll be lacking in the milk department this time around. ROTFLMAO.gif


Nice!  I haven't had any leaking yet, but once I do, I'm gonna come up with some nifty party tricks, that's for sure.

 

My acupuncture and massage were AWESOME.  One unexpected perk of the experience was the fact that the massage therapist just had her baby in July and had to be transferred from her birth center to the same hospital where I would have to deliver if I go past 41 weeks.  She said it was amazing and "like a hotel" and that for her next baby she might just go there and skip the birth center altogether since they were so great.  I can't tell you how awesome I feel now!  All that anxiety (for the moment at least) about birth center vs. hospital is GONE.  I'm sure the acupuncture and massage helped with that, too...

 

Furthermore, I just talked to my mom, and she said if baby comes closer to 41 weeks (or after) she could come up and stay through Thanksgiving!  My mom cooks the healthiest, tastiest vegan food and is just all-around awesome to have around, and it would be so great if she could come and stay through Thanksgiving instead of visiting the baby, going back to finish work before Thanksgiving break, then coming back up for the holiday itself.

 

OK, I know my feelings are hardly stable right now, but at the moment, I don't really care how long it takes for this baby to get here.  Wow.  I never thought I'd feel this way!  Maybe it's a sign of labor... j/k

post #194 of 1257

OMG party tricks.  At least you still have your sense of humor.  biglaugh.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKatie View Post



Nice!  I haven't had any leaking yet, but once I do, I'm gonna come up with some nifty party tricks, that's for sure.

 

My acupuncture and massage were AWESOME.  One unexpected perk of the experience was the fact that the massage therapist just had her baby in July and had to be transferred from her birth center to the same hospital where I would have to deliver if I go past 41 weeks.  She said it was amazing and "like a hotel" and that for her next baby she might just go there and skip the birth center altogether since they were so great.  I can't tell you how awesome I feel now!  All that anxiety (for the moment at least) about birth center vs. hospital is GONE.  I'm sure the acupuncture and massage helped with that, too...

 

Furthermore, I just talked to my mom, and she said if baby comes closer to 41 weeks (or after) she could come up and stay through Thanksgiving!  My mom cooks the healthiest, tastiest vegan food and is just all-around awesome to have around, and it would be so great if she could come and stay through Thanksgiving instead of visiting the baby, going back to finish work before Thanksgiving break, then coming back up for the holiday itself.

 

OK, I know my feelings are hardly stable right now, but at the moment, I don't really care how long it takes for this baby to get here.  Wow.  I never thought I'd feel this way!  Maybe it's a sign of labor... j/k


I'm so glad you're feeling at peace.  Try to keep that mindset!  I have felt very zen this whole pregnancy about when the baby might come- it's a huge departure from how I felt with DS1.  Things are going to go just exactly how they are supposed to.  And man am I ever jealous of your massage.  om.gif

 

post #195 of 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post


I'm so glad you're feeling at peace.  Try to keep that mindset!  I have felt very zen this whole pregnancy about when the baby might come- it's a huge departure from how I felt with DS1.  Things are going to go just exactly how they are supposed to.  And man am I ever jealous of your massage.  om.gif

 



Thanks, J.  I'm gonna do my damndest to stay with this newfound zen-ness.

 

The massage was a gift from DH's grandmother.  So... major redemption points there.  I have been trying hard to tolerate her and I feel guilty accepting presents from her because I don't want it to be like she's trying to get me to like her more, or something.  I AM very nice to her, even when she's driving me up the wall, but I know that my tension towards her is not lost on her, and I don't want it to be like she's trying to buy me out... I'm over-analyzing this.  She's like this with everyone.  But this gift was much needed and MUCH appreciated.  Every single one of us should go out and get a massage cause man do I feel a billion times better now.

post #196 of 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkToMeNow View Post


I had the same minimal stretch marks with 1 and 2. They are just above my belly button and completely disappear after birth. I was still wearing a bikini, no problem. Well, not it the past couple of years, but that wasn't about the stretch marks! It's about my late 20's/ early 30's weight gain.
Anyway, I noticed brand new stretch marks yesterday! I was all, "Oh heck no. Time to give this kid an eviction notice!". They are on my sides and red. Red!!
Oh well. What can you do? smile.gif

 

I try to make my peace with my stretch marks.  My belly is like a rainbow, silver from my first, purple from my second, red from this one.  They don't bother me too much, but the ones one my breasts do.  I went from a C cup to a G cup with my first, but then with my second I got this HUGE stretch mark on breast when my milk came in even though my cup size didn't change.  It's now faded to just two inches long, almost half an inch wide, and a silvery-purple instead of bright bright red.  I'm hoping nothing like that happens this time.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

So I got some really bad news today.  I'll post more about it in a new thread so I don't take up all the chit chat thread, but baby is breech :-(

 


yikes.gif  OHSU does vaginal breech births.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKatie View Post

OK, I know my feelings are hardly stable right now, but at the moment, I don't really care how long it takes for this baby to get here.  Wow.  I never thought I'd feel this way!  Maybe it's a sign of labor... j/k


Hopefully it is a sign of labor!

 

AFM, As of tonight, I have now been pregnant the longest I've ever been.

 

 

 

 

post #197 of 1257

Yeah, OHSU is an option but we'll see if we can get him to turn first...... I think there are even a few docs at Emanuel that do breech....

 

Yay for being pregnant a long time!  haha!  I was pregnant 41 weeks + 3 days with DS1 so I'm hoping I don't go past that with this one!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post

 

I try to make my peace with my stretch marks.  My belly is like a rainbow, silver from my first, purple from my second, red from this one.  They don't bother me too much, but the ones one my breasts do.  I went from a C cup to a G cup with my first, but then with my second I got this HUGE stretch mark on breast when my milk came in even though my cup size didn't change.  It's now faded to just two inches long, almost half an inch wide, and a silvery-purple instead of bright bright red.  I'm hoping nothing like that happens this time.
 

 


yikes.gif  OHSU does vaginal breech births.

 


Hopefully it is a sign of labor!

 

AFM, As of tonight, I have now been pregnant the longest I've ever been.

 

 

 

 



 

post #198 of 1257

energy.gifjumpers.gif

 

I'm officially full term in 3 hours!  Yay me!  Its a big milestone  thumb.gif

 

...ok, but seriously, now this baby can get out of my body...

post #199 of 1257

Ugh.  Had to go lay down earlier to deal with contrax that were just obnoxious enough to get my hopes up a little.  Srsly, so over it!!  irked.gif

 

stretchmarks--UGH again.  I got thru my first two pregnancies unscathed, and my third one with some belly button damage that I now realize is a mild umbilical hernia.  The baby number FOUR gives me stretch marks.  This one's given me some deeper, thicker, darker ones on top of the ones from last time, that only just showed up in the last week or so.  They're all radiating out from my damaged belly button, which just makes it more comical.  I always joke that one day I'll have repair surgery or microdermabrasion, heh.  Maybe when I'm 40. orngtongue.gif

 

Katie that is SO AWESOME about your massage, about what you heard abt the hospital, and about your attitude shift!  luxlove.gif  Hope you can keep that vibe high from here til birth, lady!  

 

So DH made me a peanut butter and caramel milkshake.  And I just realized my scale's broken.  HAHA.  

post #200 of 1257

I'd give anything right now to have some placenta pills on hand already. I don't feel in a good mindset anymore. After having been off from work for the past 3 months, I was able to manage my anxiety and lessen my depression by eliminating a lot of stressors. But now I don't know if it's the hormones, poor sleep, or overall just feeling done with pregnancy that has me in a really bad place again. greensad.gif I cried at least 4 times yesterday and now here I am awake at 5am crying again. I can't stand this depressed, hopeless feeling where I'm finding enjoyment in nothing and don't even want to be around anyone. It's pointless to try getting help for it right now. I've just got to wait it out till the baby arrives. Please please please I hope the placenta encapsulation helps me avoid PPD. praying.gif This is such a lonely place...

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: November 2011 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › November Chit Chat