or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Help me pick a wall color to fix up an outdated bathroom.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me pick a wall color to fix up an outdated bathroom.

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Our bathroom has gold fixtures everywhere, but we can't afford to replace everything. (Even the shower door trim is bright gold.) There is ivory/light almond color tile and ivory walls badly in need of a coat of paint. What wall color do you think will look okay with all the gold? I've been known to make some bad paint choices lol.gif and so I could use some suggestions.
post #2 of 14

Hmmm..gold huh?  Well peach might look nice, perhaps white and a dark accent like a burgundy? Teal?

post #3 of 14

I would just go with plain, stark white. I know it is not be most exciting colour for a bathroom but it is a very safe choice. Plus, it makes the bathroom appear bright and fresh.

 

If you want colours, I would go with a terracotta/burnt orange accent wall and paint the rest of the walls a stark white. The terracotta will bring out the warmness of the gold, and go wonderfully with the almond coloured tiles, lending an air of French country charm to the bathroom.

post #4 of 14
I think stark white would just make the ivory tile look dirty. Terra cotta might be nice. My mom has Benjamin Moore "Mineral Red" in a powder room with a bisque sink and toilet and gold faucet and it looks good.
post #5 of 14

So it is solid, one coloured tiles? I imagined these kind of stone tiles...

post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesong View Post

So it is solid, one coloured tiles? I imagined these kind of stone tiles...

Yes, just basic, cheap, off-white tiles (or ivory, light almond...) The shower's plastic walls are also not a true white.

I also agree that a stark white would make it look dirty. (well, dirtier than it already is with a baby and a 2yo around! lol.gif)

I wish my bathroom could look French Country! It was done by the original owners and it's pretty low budget for all of the materials.
post #7 of 14
Maybe Sherwin Williams Comfort gray. It looks blue or green or gray depending on the light. In my foyer, it's lovely. Not so much in my living room. I think a pale blue might be nice. Yellow and blue look good together, so gold and blue should work.

ETA: Somthing like the first or second picture here:
http://www.zimbio.com/French+Country+Bathroom+Decor
post #8 of 14

Not what you're asking, but Sherwin Williams sells a product to paint over tile.  It comes out looking stark white and you can still wipe it down to clean it.  I did it once (years ago) when I wanted to sell, but not revamp, my condo - my only memories are that it was fairly inexpensive, uber easy to apply and that it stunk to high heaven until it dried (so do it when you can have a window open).

post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
I've been told to stay away from gray/cool tones with shiny gold faucets, etc, but I agree that first picture does look nice! I'll check out the Sherwin Williams website. Thanks!


Tile paint? That sounds great! Does it work well? I did the Giani "faux granite" mineral paint on my awful kitchen countertops and now they are even more awful because the Giani stuff peeled and chipped everywhere and I haven't had time to fix it (the company was great, refunded all my money, sent an updated/heavy duty patch kit and new formulation of top coat, but it's oil based and I can't do it alone since I am always with the baby and 2yo) Hopefully the tile paint wouldn't chip or peel?
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post

I've been told to stay away from gray/cool tones with shiny gold faucets, etc, but I agree that first picture does look nice! I'll check out the Sherwin Williams website. Thanks!
Tile paint? That sounds great! Does it work well? I did the Giani "faux granite" mineral paint on my awful kitchen countertops and now they are even more awful because the Giani stuff peeled and chipped everywhere and I haven't had time to fix it (the company was great, refunded all my money, sent an updated/heavy duty patch kit and new formulation of top coat, but it's oil based and I can't do it alone since I am always with the baby and 2yo) Hopefully the tile paint wouldn't chip or peel?


The thing with grey and other cool tones (such as blue) is that they can have cold or warm undertones. Warm toned blues and greys goes great with yellow and gold. Cold toned ones not so much. The trick is finding the right shade which can be rather difficult. Unless you can see the paint real life with gold/yellow accents I wouldn't risk it.

 

As for the tile paint...never used one so can't help there.

post #11 of 14

I never had an issue with the tile paint - and I wiped it down hundreds of times.  Never chipped or peeled.  But it was also on my bathroom walls and not my main counter top so that might make a difference.  It is oil based (which is why it smelled so awful before drying) so you don't want to do it while your babe is around.

post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Ah, I see. Our ugly tile is on the floor, so maybe not a good idea, since it will definitely get stepped on and have more wear and tear than walls. Thanks!
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkksmom View Post

Maybe Sherwin Williams Comfort gray. It looks blue or green or gray depending on the light. In my foyer, it's lovely. Not so much in my living room. I think a pale blue might be nice. Yellow and blue look good together, so gold and blue should work.
ETA: Somthing like the first or second picture here:
http://www.zimbio.com/French+Country+Bathroom+Decor


If you're going for french country, I definitely agree with a light blue color.  The lighter color should help tone down the gold.

 

post #14 of 14

Was also going to suggest a grey - something not too light, maybe with a hint of purple or blue to it.  A really dark brown might work too (assuming you have a window and decent lighting).  Or a pale green.  

 

Here's a bluish-grey (not a bathroom, sorry).  One plus you'd have with a grey is that you could mix bright yellow/orange colored things into the bathroom that would detract and mix well with the gold.

 

dark brown bathroom 

 

pale green bathroom

 

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Mindful Home
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Help me pick a wall color to fix up an outdated bathroom.