Hello there fellow mothering peeps, I have a dilemna, possible crisis, on my hands and I'm hoping that someone can give me some sound advice.
I have a 3yr old boy and one baby on the way, in the next two weeks. My DP is away on a business trip this week. He just emailed me and mentioned that his boss (and best friend's) son, who is two, has pertussis again. He has been working with his boss, the kid's dad, closely this week ( like in the same office, at the same desk). I am waiting to get all of the facts about the duration and severity of child's illness.
I am really worried here!! We do not vaccinate but in the beginning we did, and so my 3yr old has had one round of DTAP. I'm not as worried about him, if he got whooping cough I guess we would just have to deal with it the best we could. I am very about our tiny babe-to-be. Pertussis is so much more dangerous among infants. If DP brought pertussis to our house and infected us I think we would still be infectious when the baby is born.
What should I do? Is it too late for us b/c we have either aleady been exposed or not? Or should I tell DP to go get an adult DTAP vaccine before coming home? ( I have little problem, really, with a 42 yr old man getting a vaccine). If he got the vaccine and came home within 24 hrs of that would it make a difference? He is scheduled to come home Thursday evening, two full days from now.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I am going to call our pediatrician in the morning but Iknow I will be losing sleep tonight.