or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Once Upon A Time

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Seems from the "New Fall Shows" thread a lot of people are watching.....

 

Loving it so far - what does everyone else think?

post #2 of 15
I still have to find time to go back and watch the first ep from the beginning!
post #3 of 15

 

I posted in the other thread that I enjoyed it. I was kind of hoping for something with a little more subtext - a commentary on modern life or some such (kind of like Buffy or Community or Battlestar Galactica). Re-worked fairy tales lend themselves to that sort of thing, but so far they haven't gone there. I think the character of Little Red Riding Hood could provide some interest along those lines, given the way they've portrayed her so far....

 

Some of the fun is matching the modern town characters with fairy tales. Some are obvious (Red and Grannie) or we are told who they are (the boy's therapist). I haven't figured out the doctor yet.

 

And dd was amazed when I pointed out that Rumplestiltskin is the same actor from The Full Monty.

 

post #4 of 15

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

 

Some of the fun is matching the modern town characters with fairy tales. Some are obvious (Red and Grannie) or we are told who they are (the boy's therapist). I haven't figured out the doctor yet.

 

And dd was amazed when I pointed out that Rumplestiltskin is the same actor from The Full Monty.

 


I agree with the fun of discovering who the modern characters are from fairytale land. Rumplestiltskin is creeeeeeeeepy. The Evil Stepmother/Mayor is playing the role well... love the apples.

 

The main character... is it Emma? She was from House and I liked her as a brunnette. The blonde hair looks really fake to me. Her character is ok, I like that she is a bit serious and looks like she could kick ass if needed.

 

The boy is adorable :-)
 

 

post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

 


I agree with the fun of discovering who the modern characters are from fairytale land. Rumplestiltskin is creeeeeeeeepy. The Evil Stepmother/Mayor is playing the role well... love the apples.

 


Also the birchbark forest wallpaper in her home or office - can't recall which. I saw it previously in a home decor layout in a shelter magazine and liked it and was tickled to see it used as background in this show. Nice touch. 

 

I was annoyed when the queen was talking about Honeycrisp apples while she waved around a huge dark Red Delicious. We've been eating honeycrisps all autumn (yummy!) and they are much more golden. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

 

The main character... is it Emma? She was from House and I liked her as a brunnette. The blonde hair looks really fake to me. Her character is ok, I like that she is a bit serious and looks like she could kick ass if needed.

 

 

 

DD has a friend who says she can't watch the show. She thinks that actress looks seriously pissed off all.the.time and it disturbs dd's friend too much to enjoy whatever she's acting in. The friend says she looks much too angry and needs to lighten up a little. 

 

 

post #6 of 15

She does look angry all the time!
 

We are watching it and starting to enjoy it.  It's growing and we're getting into it more.  Apparently there are a lot of references to Lost for all you Lost fans, you just need to know what to look for.  I totally missed all that. 

post #7 of 15

I watched again last night and am really enjoying the show. Emma does look so angry LOL I like the Mary Margaret/Amnesia Charming subplot. The Jimney Cricket storyline was really good, although a bit sad to watch. I am glad he stood up Evil Mayor.

 

Lost references for Lost fans?!?! I am a Lost fan but havn't noticed any references yet... perhaps I am not the power fan I thought I was LOL

Is Once Upon a Time a JJ Abrams creation?

post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
  Apparently there are a lot of references to Lost for all you Lost fans, you just need to know what to look for.  I totally missed all that. 


 

you got me curious so I had to google.....
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

Lost references for Lost fans?!?! I am a Lost fan but havn't noticed any references yet... perhaps I am not the power fan I thought I was LOL

Is Once Upon a Time a JJ Abrams creation?



http://www.forareasonblog.com/2011/10/24/lost-shout-outs-in-once-upon-a-time/

post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post



 

you got me curious so I had to google.....
 



http://www.forareasonblog.com/2011/10/24/lost-shout-outs-in-once-upon-a-time/



Damn... this show just got more interesting :-)  Thanks for the link!

 

post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 

nice review on a blog I follow...

http://www.robwillreview.com/?p=8717

post #11 of 15

I really like this show. I rewatched all the episodes because DH belatedly got into it too. 

 

The 5th episode (That Still Small Voice) didn't do much for me the first time but I really liked it the second. That's the one about Jimity Cricket / the therapist. First of all Harry Groeing was the guest star and I really wanted to see him in a scene with Regina (because they're both evil mayors of course.) The ending seemed kinda of after school special until I realized that for everyone in Storybrook this was their first happy ending ever in the real world. (My apologies if that is too spoilery.) No wonder every last one of them had a flask. 

 

I can't wait until the next episode. It's been a long time since I watched something that deserved a second viewing. 

post #12 of 15

I just started watching this show a couple weeks before the season started (on netflix) I am hooked! I didn't notice lost references but I'm totally going to look at that link now! I really enjoyed the last episode, seeing the back story of Emma and Neal. Remember that first ep and  that "Broken" postcard? I wonder how long before he shows up in Storybrooke looking for Emma. 

post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 

so any speculation on if he's from the fairy tale world? I have a theory

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

that he's Bae

post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 

oh and any thoughts about what was in the box that August showed him?????
 

post #15 of 15

When I first saw the "broken" post card in the season premiere, i wondered if he might have been what you said in the spoiler. THAT would be interesting. I've heard that when the box is opened you can see the carriage return of a typewriter for a split second. A typewriter sort of makes sense because thats what he had in his suitcase when he went to Storybrooke. Although, it totally does not explain what was so persuasive about it! Ahh, waiting for new episodes is torture. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Television