I’d really like to get this started! A little about Birth Beads... http://www.birthbeads.com/Birthbeads.html
From futuremamaheather: “The Dec 2011 DDC has organized a bead swap, you could look at those posts to see how to do it. Basically, it was just that people signed up, once the sign up was done each person bought one bead for every person in the swap (including themself) and sent it to a central person. The central person then strung the beads, included a list of which bead was from who, and mailed them out to everyone in the group. To make it easier for the central person, each packet of beads contained a self addressed, stamped envelope for the return trip.”
So as I understand it, the steps are:
1. Express interest in the exchange
2. Officially ‘sign up’ by PMing me so I can add you to the Google group.
3. At the end of the sign-up period, check the number of people on the list as seen on this thread. Collect the appropriate number of beads.
4. Send your beads PLUS a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the volunteer organizer. Because we have limited time, I think it might be best to begin collecting beads as soon as you know you are interested, (or keeping an eye out for them) in order to send within a week after the sign-up closes.
5. The organizer receives all the beads, divides them up among participants, and returns the newly exchanged beads to each mama in the envelope they provided.
6. We hope the mails cooperates for us!
(Here’s a link to the December DDC’s thread... as you can see they got started way early!: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1326966/birth-beads#post_16621157 )
I’ve taken the step of starting a Google Group for us to discuss the exchange. Let’s run a sign-up period until the end of Novemberish... let’s say the 25th, a solid two weeks to sign up. The sign up period is now over... time to collect your beads!
Please reply to this thread if you are interested. Send me a PM with your email address if you are certain you’d like to participate, and I will add you to the Google Group. Once you have PM’ed me and been successfully added to the group, I’ll add your username to the list below as ‘officially participating’.
I would appreciate if someone in the US could volunteer to be the person to whom we send beads to and act as our bead organizer/distributor. Because I’m in Canada I worry that border-crossing could hold things up! ONLY the person organizing the exchange will have access to your mailing address.
Thanks to montessorimama1 for volunteering! She'll be our 'organiz-a-trix/central bead hub' - we will send our beads and envelopes to her, and she will divide and redistribute them.
1. cedarwoman (confirmed)
2. AfricanQueen99 (confirmed)
3. HardCoreMom (confirmed)
4. juneboymom (confirmed)
5. montessorimama1 (confirmed)
6. moonSnail (confirmed)
7. sarah_bella1050 (confirmed, email only)
8. Milly_P (confirmed)
9. hannabee (confirmed)
10. coldandsleepy (confirmed)
11. Psmythe (confirmed)
12. chiroinparadise (confirmed)
13. indigoscot (confirmed)
14.. L'lee (confirmed)
15.. waluso (confirmed)
16. HippieIncognito (confirmed)
Edited by cedarwoman - 11/26/11 at 4:17pm