Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F
This girl is so different from DS in so many ways, and now I need to know what others' experiences have been and if anyone can relate.
1. DD needs to be woken up to be fed. And she doesn't really even wake up! It's like it doesn't cross her mind until she's ravenous and then she's inconsolable and will not finish. She's gotta be calm to latch, let alone eat, which leads me to:
This will probably change as she grows a wakes up a bit more. In the meantime, it probably would help to wake her before she's likely to be ravenous.
2. If DD has been crying and eventually calms down enough to eat, she throws up. Is that something anyone else has experienced?
She may be gulping air more when she's crying or unsettled while feeding. The air trying to escape in a burp brings up lots of milk along with it sometimes.
3. DD gags and chokes. I thought it was reflux or something but the dr. says it is her congestion that is draining and she gags on it. Does that sound right?
This confuses me a bit. Yes, it makes sense she might gag on congestion draining, but why does the dr. think she's congested - refluxing milk up her nose would be a likely explanation for the congestion, probably more so than a cold or even dry air (that would probably lead to a dry sort of stuffiness I think).
4. DD sleeps all day with maybe 2-3 shorter wakings. Then she cries through a lot of dinner. She seems to be in pain at night. Is it normal to sleep so much?
This sounds normal to me. My DD just finally started staying awake for more than 30-45 minutes at a time around 6 weeks old. Fussy at dinner time is super common. They get tired and overstimulated, and gassiness and reflux seem to be worse for many babies at night.
5. DD is super congested from the dry air of the house, but I'm sent into asthmatic fits by humidifiers! Especially that darned Vicks cool mist one. Any other ideas for moisturizing her nasal passages?
Saline drops followed by nasal aspiration. She'll hate it, but if she's really struggling to breathe through her nose, this is how you can blow her nose for her.