or Connect
Mothering › Groups › August 2011 Birth Club › Discussions › Weekly Chat 11/15 - 11/20

Weekly Chat 11/15 - 11/20

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

Thought I'd start up a new chat for the week.  Old on is here.

 

River has been discovering his hands and grabbing too, but sometimes he gets so worked up and upset over his lack of coordination that I end up taking his toy away for a while till he calms down.  I get the feeling that he's a big boy unhappily stuck in a baby body.

 

Bonus for today... I woke up with a giant hickey above my nipple! 

post #2 of 26

Peony, your fart post cracked me up...That said, I'm so sorry your baby's having tummy issues. Hopefully that will all be sorted out soon.

 

Cat13, I wish I could figure how to nurse clandestinely in the carrier. One day I will figure it out.

 

Regarding periods, yes, it's close to a year for me too. What a pleasure not to have one. I've forgotten what it feels like and hope I won't be reminded for a long, long time.

 

As for me, firstly - I'm sorry I rarely post here. I occasionally read some of your posts but sitting down to write is a whole other thing. I read SoonToBe's post about unrealistic expectations, and all I have to say is that SoonToBe is doing so much considering all that's going on with the mastitis. I had nursing issues in the first weeks after Sam was born, but it got sorted out. But even now I feel like it's hard to get things done...to focus...to relax... I start so many things only to find them halfway done hours later...I don't know how you mamas with more than one child do it! On top of it all, my husband doesn't seem to understand that my occasional spaciness is due to taking care of an infant. He realizes that I became this way after giving birth, and yet he doesn't seem to want to accept it.

 

I'm settling into Oregon life. I'm getting a car (never had one in NYC) and trying to figure out what I'm going to do regarding work (i.e. how long I will - or can - stay at home; should I seek part-time employment, etc.). I also have to sit down and figure what I'm doing regarding vax. Sifting through all the literature is daunting.

 

As for the holidays, we're spending them with my mother in law, so she's handling the planning...for which I am grateful. I have a question...do any of you have a way of handling a group of family/friends who want to hold your baby's hands? I mean, there's a lot of family here in Oregon, and they often come over (as I'm staying at my MIL's until December), and they're all very boisterous and like to fawn over baby Sam. This is fine, I don't want to complain but occasionally it irritates me in a way that feels hormonal or primal. And when they grab at his hands it really gets me. I don't know if there's a delicate way to ask them if they've washed their hands, etc...Oh dear, half the time I have no idea if I'm being too hormonal/mama-bearish or if I'm perfectly in the right...

 

post #3 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Roxy View Post

 

As for the holidays, we're spending them with my mother in law, so she's handling the planning...for which I am grateful. I have a question...do any of you have a way of handling a group of family/friends who want to hold your baby's hands? I mean, there's a lot of family here in Oregon, and they often come over (as I'm staying at my MIL's until December), and they're all very boisterous and like to fawn over baby Sam. This is fine, I don't want to complain but occasionally it irritates me in a way that feels hormonal or primal. And when they grab at his hands it really gets me. I don't know if there's a delicate way to ask them if they've washed their hands, etc...Oh dear, half the time I have no idea if I'm being too hormonal/mama-bearish or if I'm perfectly in the right...

 


I keep a container of sani-wipes out, and literally tell everyone to give their hands a quick swipe or go in the bathroom and scrub them.  They do without question, and then I don't have to worry about it.  I think people will understand for the most part.

 

post #4 of 26
So we are doing the dr. Sears bad schedule, and yesterday Anton got the hib and pc shots. Last night he was SO upset, I'd never heard him cry and scream like that. Today he's back to his sunny self, but gosh, that was horrible. Has anyone had a similar experience?
post #5 of 26
Um that was supposed to say VAX schedule...stupid autocorrect...
post #6 of 26
Thread Starter 

River just got the Pc and HIB shots today too. He's been a little sleepier than usual, but I hope he's not like that tonight. Glad Anton is back to his usual self!

post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemama579 View Post


I keep a container of sani-wipes out, and literally tell everyone to give their hands a quick swipe or go in the bathroom and scrub them.  They do without question, and then I don't have to worry about it.  I think people will understand for the most part.

 



Thanx, that's an excellent suggestion. 

post #8 of 26

Charlie didn't really have much reaction when he got his shots. Hopefully that continues!

 

His mood totally shifted today. He's quieter, very snuggly, nurses a lot, sleeps easily. He really just wants to spend the day on me - nursing when hungry and being sung to and rocked if he's not sleeping.

That was totally awesome until his diaper had blood in it. Barely any - like if you had some on your finger and wiped it on there, but that's not okay. It had to have been peed out - no sores and that was the location on the diaper. Hasn't repeated. Going to the doc tomorrow.

 

We're none of us feeling very well today so .. we'll see.

 

And my friend came over! I haven't seen her since about a monthish before I had Charlie. I felt all cool - I have a friend ;) Hopefully that repeats! She totally loved him up - he's so mellow today that it was easy for her to do so.

 

And he's officially three months old today!

post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaika View Post

So we are doing the dr. Sears bad schedule, and yesterday Anton got the hib and pc shots. Last night he was SO upset, I'd never heard him cry and scream like that. Today he's back to his sunny self, but gosh, that was horrible. Has anyone had a similar experience?


That sounds like a reaction within the range of "normal".  Fussiness and sleepiness seem to be high up on the list.  

I still haven't taken Finn for any yet.  I'm being a huge wuss about it.  

And Nora still needs to go for hers.  Blah.  I'm going to take them together and just try not to lose it.  I'm thinking let them give Finn his first, she'll see it's nbd, and then she'll get hers.  She's going to cryyyy.  I don't think her going first will work.  greensad.gif

 

bbl to catch up - duty calls!

 

 

post #10 of 26

I think a lot of you guys have been using Jumperoo's for awhile.  I put Finn in his for the first time today and he loved it.  I can't wait for him to wake up from his nap so he can play again!!  And it really brought back memories of when Nora used it.  Time is flying!! happytears.gif

 

DH is in NYC today so it's been a lazy day.  Jammies, easy lunch, lots of TV, going to order pizza tonight,  LOL.  It's gray and dreary to boot so I really can't get my head around chores.  We all have days like that, right?

post #11 of 26

Charlie probably has a UTI. I need to get a urine sample, but didn't manage it today.  He isn't one to pee out of a diaper. With floor time, it takes a very long time before he pees. So tomorrow! We'll go get the fancy thing if we can't catch some.

post #12 of 26

Aww, poor charlie!  How do you know? Is he having symptoms?  I'm curious!  DD used to complain it burned when she peed, that was the only way we knew something was brewing.  

post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Aww, poor charlie!  How do you know? Is he having symptoms?  I'm curious!  DD used to complain it burned when she peed, that was the only way we knew something was brewing.  



Blood in his diaper yesterday! We're trying for a culture to make sure. We'll have to do it tomorrow, today was far too busy.

post #14 of 26

Oooh oh boo.  :-(

 

I'm feeling like super mom!  I got both kids in bed/asleep by 930.  DH is on his way home from NYC, I'm watching Glee and drinking red wine and eating chocolate.  Sweet heaven after the day we had!!

post #15 of 26

aw sweet Charlie, I hope he gets better super fast!

 

Carrie, hellsya super mom!

post #16 of 26

Today was a good day! Mostly!

He's still super snugly and wants to just sleep. He totally smile and plays when he's awake, he just isn't awake much and is very insistent about sleep when it's time.

 

I met with the lady who had the office I want to sublet. I SO hope this works out, it's perfect and everyone is wonderful. While I did that, Dusty took Charlie and went to the lab to get the pee collector. First time I've been away from him! Gah. He did fine, I about cried at first, but was mostly good. Just weird. So. Heh. We got this plastic bag with a whole that had tape around it.. and taped it around his penis. And then watched and waited for him to pee. He takes a lot long time to pee without britches on.

 

And then.. we gave him his amoxicylan. However it's spelled, he does not like it. Spit up the first bit and part of the second try. Screamed a lot, then nursed and passed out. ... 3x/day. For 10 days, I think. Yee. Any tips on that one? We have different medicine givers we could try. They gave us a syringe thing, but I have a thing that's a pacifier. Still tastes the same, though.

post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

And then.. we gave him his amoxicylan. However it's spelled, he does not like it. Spit up the first bit and part of the second try. Screamed a lot, then nursed and passed out. ... 3x/day. For 10 days, I think. Yee. Any tips on that one? We have different medicine givers we could try. They gave us a syringe thing, but I have a thing that's a pacifier. Still tastes the same, though.


We do Zantac 2X a day by dropper.  He's gotten used to it so he knows what to do now, but in the beginning it was tricky.  If you put the dropper alongside his cheek, it'll bypass his tongue thrust.  Do you have a paci?  I find it really helpful to drop the medicine in, then pop the paci in just for a min to get them to swallow.

 

Hang in there!  Poor baby.  Are UTI's common in baby boys?  I'm going to go google it.

 

post #18 of 26
I am posting from my phone, so I will be brief. But I am out ALONE! I am sitting at the bar in my favorite sushi place enjoying some sashimi and beer. Did I say alone!? Ahhhhhhh.
post #19 of 26

Italia, you deserve every minute of it! Sounds awesome..it made me smile.

 

Becky, I do not have any tips on how to give babies medication. but sincerely hope he gets better soon. It is good that UTI was diagnosed sooner than later.

post #20 of 26

Thanks, Carrie! And everyone :) They're not common in boys, but they are more common in uncircumsized boys. He's got a small opening in his foreskin, so apparently there's some reflux or something? Luckily, his doc's son is uncircumsized so I can trust her not to be an idiot about it. I'll try the paci :)

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2011 Birth Club
Mothering › Groups › August 2011 Birth Club › Discussions › Weekly Chat 11/15 - 11/20