or Connect
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › Postpartum Infection

Postpartum Infection

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Ugh, I had to spend earlier this week in the hospital and really, it sucked. This was supposed to be my birth without hospital time, without antibiotics... all ruined because some stuff apparently didn't pass, got inflamed and infection set in :( It was big enough to be visible on the ultrasound to ME.

 

Anyway, watch for warning signs, ladies: afterpains getting worse instead of better, foul odor in lochia, tenderness in the uterus that doesn't get better (or gets worse) a few days after birth, unusual clots and, most importantly, fever. That was the symptom that actually sent me to the ER :(

post #2 of 16

Ugh!  I'm so sorry xakana!  That sucks that you had to go to the hospital, but I'm happy that you caught it and got it taken care of!  Thanks for the tips on what to look out for!

post #3 of 16

Yeah, thanks for the reminder!  It sucks that you had to go to the hospital, but it's a good thing that it's treatable and you'll be okay.  Get well soon!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

Ugh!  I'm so sorry xakana!  That sucks that you had to go to the hospital, but I'm happy that you caught it and got it taken care of!  Thanks for the tips on what to look out for!



 

post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 

Yup! And probiotics after.

post #5 of 16

I had one too, only they didn't see anything on ultrasound. When I got blood work done, my white count was up, so they knew I was fighting something and I really felt miserable. Worse than the flu, only without the throwing up. The OB on call wanted me to stay overnight at the hospital, but being that I had JUST gotten out of the hospital because Levi was in the NICU, I took my chances with really strong antibiotics and promised to come in the next day if it was worse or hadn't gotten better. I'm sorry you had to go to the hospital. It sucks to have that dream and not fully achieving it. I just look at it as, at least I didn't have to be at the hospital to have my baby. THAT part, I was very happy about. I did mourn not being able to stay at home and relax with Levi.

 

ETA: Fever and achy body was my first red flag.


Edited by IwannaBanRN - 11/26/11 at 10:49am
post #6 of 16

I had to go in for a D&C on Wednesday.  No infection yet but I had been passing huge amounts of tissue and bleeding bleeding bleeding.  I was so anxious about leaving my beautiful baby but at least I was able to pump enough for her and she took the bottle fine from DH and slept the rest of the time.  I'm so nervous now that something else is going to go "wrong" (had a bit of a harrowing birth experience which I will share when I have a bit more distance from it).  I think I'm healing ok though.  

post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-time-to-live View Post

I had to go in for a D&C on Wednesday.  No infection yet but I had been passing huge amounts of tissue and bleeding bleeding bleeding.  I was so anxious about leaving my beautiful baby but at least I was able to pump enough for her and she took the bottle fine from DH and slept the rest of the time.  I'm so nervous now that something else is going to go "wrong" (had a bit of a harrowing birth experience which I will share when I have a bit more distance from it).  I think I'm healing ok though.  


I'm so sorry you had to go through that, but I'm happy to hear from you!!  We never got an announcement!  Can you introduce us to your little one and share the details?   smile.gif

 

post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

 It sucks to have that dream and not fully achieving it. I just look at it as, at least I didn't have to be at the hospital to have my baby. THAT part, I was very happy about. I did mourn not being able to stay at home and relax with Levi.

 



Definitely. The ER doc was complaining that my stitches (which are giving me NO pain and feel like they're healing better than the ones during my last birth) were too loose (my midwife was trying to help me with my issue with vaginal tightness I've always had by NOT overstitching me), they kept calling it an episiotomy wound (which I kept correcting to tear and watching them make a note), etc. reminding me WHY I'm so glad for my birth XD

 

I had to fight to keep my baby with me (she was only 5 days old when we went in!) and I felt like they put me in med-surg instead of OB as punishment for having an out of hospital birth (OB has queen sized beds, staff used to kids and wouldn't have had a problem with me SLEEPING while I had a baby in the room: I couldn't sleep if DH was asleep and he had to stay up any time I might want to sleep).

 

It wasn't pleasant. But I'm glad to be rid of the thing. I tried to convince them to give me something orally or a shot or something, but they just said that I'd be leaving AMA (which would mean my insurance wouldn't pay) if I did.

post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xakana View Post



Definitely. The ER doc was complaining that my stitches (which are giving me NO pain and feel like they're healing better than the ones during my last birth) were too loose (my midwife was trying to help me with my issue with vaginal tightness I've always had by NOT overstitching me), they kept calling it an episiotomy wound (which I kept correcting to tear and watching them make a note), etc. reminding me WHY I'm so glad for my birth XD

 

I had to fight to keep my baby with me (she was only 5 days old when we went in!) and I felt like they put me in med-surg instead of OB as punishment for having an out of hospital birth (OB has queen sized beds, staff used to kids and wouldn't have had a problem with me SLEEPING while I had a baby in the room: I couldn't sleep if DH was asleep and he had to stay up any time I might want to sleep).

 

It wasn't pleasant. But I'm glad to be rid of the thing. I tried to convince them to give me something orally or a shot or something, but they just said that I'd be leaving AMA (which would mean my insurance wouldn't pay) if I did.



Oh no! I'm so sorry. That makes me so mad!irked.gif I was afraid that that's how I'd be treated when I went to take my son in. The ER doctor was a total doucherocket and treated me like a child, but after that, everyone was nice. After Levi was off of the monitors, they let me keep him with me and sleep. My stuff is cleared up now and I'm SOOO glad I wasn't forced into checking in. If I'd gone to the ER, instead of the OB, they would have hauled me into ICU for sure.

 

post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 

I had a really mixed bag. Every time I complained to the OB people when they'd come to check on me, they'd get the things that med-surg wanted to refuse me. But since my baby wasn't born there, they wouldn't send me to OB, despite me being postpartum. If she'd been born there, that's where they would have put me :(

post #11 of 16

They should treat every patient accordingly, no matter the circumstance. This just makes me so upset about how healthcare is and it's not fair.

post #12 of 16


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post


I'm so sorry you had to go through that, but I'm happy to hear from you!!  We never got an announcement!  Can you introduce us to your little one and share the details?   smile.gif

 


 

Thanks!  I will!  But not right now - LO is waking up hungry!!!  :-)

 

post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

They should treat every patient accordingly, no matter the circumstance. This just makes me so upset about how healthcare is and it's not fair.



Obviously, I agree, lol. OB was really mad when they found out that they guilted me for asking for WIPES, and they were mad when they found out they told me that I couldn't have a bassinet--without ever calling to the OB dept and asking! I had an entire day of my babymoon utterly ruined when it could have been only partly ruined. *sigh* And then, in the end, I couldn't bear to put her in the bassinet, so she spent only a few minutes in it total, lol.

post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xakana View Post



Obviously, I agree, lol. OB was really mad when they found out that they guilted me for asking for WIPES, and they were mad when they found out they told me that I couldn't have a bassinet--without ever calling to the OB dept and asking! I had an entire day of my babymoon utterly ruined when it could have been only partly ruined. *sigh* And then, in the end, I couldn't bear to put her in the bassinet, so she spent only a few minutes in it total, lol.



duh.gifCuss.gifhopmad.gifdemon.gif Wow. Just....wow. You should submit a comment or two from some of the staff to www.myobsaidwhat.com . Wipes? Seriously? Why would they deny you of that? Or a bassinet? Most hospitals won't allow co-sleeping. ESPECIALLY when the mother is sick. I would be making a formal complaint, honestly.

 

post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 

Oh, they didn't even want me to have my 5 DAY OLD NEWBORN with me. They wanted DH to take her and the other kids and go. So the fact that they were there (especially with my oldest having a cough and hospital policy is to not allow anyone with a cough to even VISIT, especially if they're under 18) was a huge concession on their part (albeit one that they made sure we knew that they would not be liable for). Like I said, I wasn't "allowed" to sleep with the baby in the room unless another adult was holding her. Those damned beds aren't safe for cosleeping, being so high and narrow. I still ended up doing it because I just couldn't handle being away from her, nor she I. In a hospital that prides itself on "No mother/baby separation" that really, really sucked. But OB doesn't allow children to stay the night, either (which I get--apparently, dads like to dump all the kids on mom and just leave... my husband would NEVER do that, but why should they expect him to be any different?), so it would have been a similar problem: I have severe agoraphobia and can not be left alone in a hospital. I'd have gone completely catatonic.

 

Ugh, it was a mess. I even looked at their website while I was there, considered lodging a complaint, but I didn't want what little concessions I was getting to be taken away :(

 

With the wipes, as the nurse handed them to me, she said, "You know, we're really not supposed to do this." So when I ran out of diapers, I didn't bother asking. I just had someone buy some and bring them up... that, unfortunately, left a horrible rash on her because they didn't have the natural diapers :( When I told the OB doc about it, she got pissed off and said, "It doesn't matter if she's not a patient. We cannot have a baby not being taken care of!" I just shrugged--after all, she wasn't in charge of the nurses on the floor I was on and that person had made it abundantly clear that the hospital was more important than my family.

post #16 of 16

I seriously would still lodge a complaint. Think of it. You might make it so other moms at that hospital don't get mistreated or not AS mistreated as you and your family were.

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: November 2011 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › Postpartum Infection