I need a new pair of long johns as we have moved to a colder climate and are trying not spend too much on heating. I am looking for something really warm but not super bulky. I would love recommendations. Wool, silk, cotton, synthetic? Any brands you really love? I don't mind if they are a little pricey because we are saving on heating and I hope to be able to use them for a couple of years.
Related Forum Threads
- Does anyone here do a monthly bulk shop? Advice and tips needed. Last post on 5/16/13 at 6:14am in Frugality & Finances
- Anyone else divorcing and being forced to file for bankruptcy? Last post on 5/12/13 at 5:04pm in Frugality & Finances
- Cheapskates? How do you handle wasteful toddlers? Last post on 5/7/13 at 11:38am in Toddlers
- Getting Out of Debt - May 2013 Last post on 5/16/13 at 2:43pm in Frugality & Finances
- May No Spend Challenge~~ May the SAVING flowers bloom for you!!! Last post on Yesterday at 11:32 am in Frugality & Finances
long johns - adultpost #1 of 611/29/11 at 3:48pmThread Starterpost #2 of 611/29/11 at 4:09pm
I have really liked duofold long johns - somewhat pricey (in comparison to others), but they last really well. I had a set that easily lasted 10 years before getting too many holes (but being long johns, I wore them anyway after that). I think they make a wool-cotton blend (with some synthetic, but not so much it gets uncomfortable).post #3 of 611/30/11 at 7:20am
I don't have a brand recommendation, sorry, but when you are choosing textile content, think about your activity level when you wear them.
Cotton is fine for a base layer if you aren't going to be very active and won't be sweating in them. Cotton holds moisture, so if you perspire the long underwear will stay damp and cause a chill. Not a problem if you are just sitting at home or in the office or driving to the mall. Terrible if you are exercising and spending a few hours outside on a windy, freezing day.
If you are going to exercise a lot, then chose a fabric that will wick away moisture. I find technical fabrics are most effective, but if you don't like synthetics, then merino wool or silk are better than cotton. Silk will hold moisture though.
Another issue is itchiness, depending on skin sensitivity. I find even the ultrafine merino wool (Icebreaker) still feels a little scratchy on my skin, despite the marketing claims. I don't notice at first, but after a while I realize that I'm itching everywhere.post #4 of 611/30/11 at 7:22am
I survived a very, very cold winter in Sweden in a pair of Smartwool long underwear. I seriously never took them off -- they were pajamas at night and kept me warm under my winter gear all day. Love Smartwool! They are expensive, but worth every penny. Sierra Trading post often has them on sale.
I had silk as well, but found them to be minimally helpful with the cold.post #5 of 611/30/11 at 5:12pmThread Starterpost #6 of 612/2/11 at 11:13am
I recommend silk long john (I think I got mine at Land's End). They are nice and warm - I spend a lot of time outdoors in Minnesota in the wonter. But they are so thin that they are comfortable to wear under jeans.
- long johns - adult
- › Tinkle traps - custom prefold fitteds? 45 seconds ago
- › Alaska public schools and vaccines 5 minutes ago
- › IVF Graduates thread!! 7 minutes ago
- › vaccination and gut flora 10 minutes ago
- › Flu Campaign and 'Disease' Mongering 11 minutes ago
- › Montessori home school for Elementary? 14 minutes ago
- › Queer Conceptions: May 2013 26 minutes ago
- › Potty training FAIL 39 minutes ago
- › A Saner TTC-The Pink Moon 43 minutes ago
- › Weekly thread May 13-19th 1 hour, 16 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11
- › Terms and Conditions - Mothering... by JenniO11