or Connect
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › HELP! My Breast HURTS! (breastfeeding related)

HELP! My Breast HURTS! (breastfeeding related)

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

For the last couple months, I've felt what I knew was one of my glands for milk under my areola, but it seemed to kind of stick out. When my milk started to come in, it got swollen and it seemed fine. Only, it was hard like a stone. Today, it's alot bigger and it's HARD and it hurts SOO bad. It's throbbing because it hurts that bad. It's a little smaller than a golf ball, but it's flatter, like a stone. Is there anything I can do to make this go away or aleviate the pain? Is this a clogged milk duct or what? Anyone else? Please?

post #2 of 12

That sucks, Becky!  It sounds very much like a clogged milk duct.  There are several things you can try.  The first is heat and massage.  Really work the area, pushing along the milk ducts above it as well to try and loosen it and push it out. The shower or a bath can help with this.  The second is get baby to nurse on that duct- this may involve changing baby's nursing position to angle toward the clog.  If that doesn't work then try changing YOUR position- nurse with your breasts hanging down over baby (like you're on all fours and baby is laying under you).  Use gravity to your advantage.  If none of these things work (and when I had a bad clog, none of them did), then go for the pump.  Crank it all the way up- the highest suction- and experiment with the speed (sometimes slow, strong pump works better than fast, strong pump).  Go somewhere you can relax and pump until you get that thing out.  It might take more than one session, but you will feel it and see it when it comes out.  I know there are also herbs that you can use, but I'm not sure what they are. 

 

You are right to get on this right away b/c you do NOT want it to turn into mastitis.  Good luck!

post #3 of 12

Yup, that's the right advice.  Plugged ducts and mastitis suck, but it will heal and usually goes away in a few days.  Keep rubbing it and fully draining the breast. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

That sucks, Becky!  It sounds very much like a clogged milk duct.  There are several things you can try.  The first is heat and massage.  Really work the area, pushing along the milk ducts above it as well to try and loosen it and push it out. The shower or a bath can help with this.  The second is get baby to nurse on that duct- this may involve changing baby's nursing position to angle toward the clog.  If that doesn't work then try changing YOUR position- nurse with your breasts hanging down over baby (like you're on all fours and baby is laying under you).  Use gravity to your advantage.  If none of these things work (and when I had a bad clog, none of them did), then go for the pump.  Crank it all the way up- the highest suction- and experiment with the speed (sometimes slow, strong pump works better than fast, strong pump).  Go somewhere you can relax and pump until you get that thing out.  It might take more than one session, but you will feel it and see it when it comes out.  I know there are also herbs that you can use, but I'm not sure what they are. 

 

You are right to get on this right away b/c you do NOT want it to turn into mastitis.  Good luck!


 

 

post #4 of 12

OMG, I hate when I get a plugged duct! So sorry for you.  It's horribly painful.  I have read to try and position the baby so that his chin is pointing towards the clogged area. 

 

I usually do massage in the shower.  Once it breaks open and the milk can escape, you get a steady stream just by pressing on that area!  I press and move along it until the stream peters out, then massage and try again if the knot is still there.  I have also used hot washcloths and had my husband massage the clog out- it hurts like a bitch, but it has to be done. 

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 

Ugh! Thank you, ladies! Sounds like I've got a good challenge ahead of me. eyesroll.gif

post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 

If it hurts even worse when Levi nurses, does that mean the duct is starting to release? It feels so inflamed and was toe-curlingly painful to breastfeed on that side, but I don't want to stop nursing on this side. Ugh It HURTS, it hurts.

post #7 of 12

I remember plugged ducts hurting worse when DS nursed on that side. Basically the milk is filling up behind the plug, so it gets engorged and hurts. All the advice you've gotten here is great. Another thing I have done re:massaging it in the shower is take a wide-toothed comb, lather it up with lotion or conditioner, and use it to try to break up/get out the plug. Start above the plug and massage towards your nipple. And as much as it sucks, nursing him on that side is the best thing you can do!

post #8 of 12
I had plugged ducts all.the.time with Kieran, b/c he had a poor latch. Have you had an LC look at Levi's latch? Obviously you had a problem before he was born, but his latch could be exacerbating it.

I used heat packs before nursing every time, that helped.

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html
post #9 of 12

Yes, it will hurt more when he nurses on that side..  But it is temporary!  Keep nursing and massaging and it will clear up soon!  If you get a fever or other flu-like symptoms you can get antibiotics, but most of the time it will clear up on it's own.  It will get worse if you stop nursing on that side.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

If it hurts even worse when Levi nurses, does that mean the duct is starting to release? It feels so inflamed and was toe-curlingly painful to breastfeed on that side, but I don't want to stop nursing on this side. Ugh It HURTS, it hurts.



 

post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Name Mama View Post

I had plugged ducts all.the.time with Kieran, b/c he had a poor latch. Have you had an LC look at Levi's latch? Obviously you had a problem before he was born, but his latch could be exacerbating it.
I used heat packs before nursing every time, that helped.
http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html



His latch is good HALF the time. It can take a bit to get him to even GET a latch sometimes. This morning, it took 5 minutes for him to open wide enough and extend his tongue for a latch.

 

After I posted early this morning, I ran a hot bath and tried emptying it. It feels ALOT better right now.

 

post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

After I posted early this morning, I ran a hot bath and tried emptying it. It feels ALOT better right now.

 

Great!  But, a word of advice... keep at it b/c there could still be a small clog that will fill back up quickly.  If Levi isn't emptying that breast fully, I would recommend pumping it empty just to be sure.
 

 

post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

Great!  But, a word of advice... keep at it b/c there could still be a small clog that will fill back up quickly.  If Levi isn't emptying that breast fully, I would recommend pumping it empty just to be sure.
 

 



It's still there, so I plan on keeping up on it.

 

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: November 2011 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › HELP! My Breast HURTS! (breastfeeding related)