or Connect
Mothering › Groups › Minimalist Mamas › Discussions › Minimalist Wardrobe

Minimalist Wardrobe

post #1 of 61
Thread Starter 

I'm working on my wardrobe - thinking about trying to get down to 36 items for the next year. I've purged TONS of stuff and am shocked at how much I have that I never wear. Makes me very wary about buying!

I've decided to go with brown and cream as my base colors, and using soft greens, pinks, blues and purples for the colors.

I'll post a list of items soon. I'm 34 weeks pregnant now, so I'm basically getting my AFTER baby wardrobe ready.

What are your tips for a minimalist wardrobe? My goal is to kind of get everything I need now and then not buy a thing for a year. Kind of hard to figure out since we're currently on the east coast with cold winters and hot summers!

What are your tips? How do you make your wardrobe work?

 

Kate

 

post #2 of 61

I currently have less than 50 items total now, including outerwear, bags, jewelry and hair accessories (not including socks, underwear and pajamas). I start with my color palette, colors I know look great on me. Black is my base color. Then I choose fabrics I like, then silhouettes that flatter me.

 

My shoes, and bag are all in a color that goes with everything, and I wear just one set of jewelry, one coat, etc... Also, I buy most of my clothes from the same place, and in multiples when I find something that fits and flatters in colors I like. It saves time trying things on, because once I find a style I like I can easily order online and know it will fit... although not as much anymore because my body is shape shifting right now post-partum (ugh). 

 

Here's my list:

 

  1. Extra large Timbuk2 bag in Navy and Silver (doubles as a diaper bag!)
  2. 6mm pearl studs
  3. 8mm pearl necklace (the pearl jewelry has become my signature look and you'd be surprised with what you can get away with wearing if only you wear it with pearls! I have worn yoga pants and a t-shirt with them and been told I look "so put together" LOL)
  4. Black leather ballet flats (these are dressy enough for dancing - like I ever do that anymore - and sturdy enough for hiking, surprisingly). 
  5. Shiny black patent leather heels
  6. Tall black leather boots
  7. Black headband
  8. Black hair clip
  9. Tortoise shell hair clip
  10. Black lined London Fog overcoat w/detachable hood
  11. Black leather gloves
  12. Pink and grey wool scarf
  13. Black boot cut cotton/spandex yoga pants (post-partum I wear these everywhere!)
  14. Medium boot cut jeans
  15. Dark boot cut jeans
  16. Black knee length cotton jersey flared skirt
  17. Grey knee length cotton jersey flared skirt
  18. Handmade brown patchwork wrap skirt
  19. Black rayon travel knit wrap dress
  20. Green cotton jersey dress
  21. Blue long-sleeve cotton nursing tunic
  22. Grey long-sleeve cotton nursing tunic
  23. Black long-sleeve cotton v-neck top
  24. Grey long-sleeve cotton v-neck top
  25. Turquoise long-sleeve cowl neck cotton top
  26. Brown cotton crew neck tunic
  27. Black short-sleeve cotton nursing top
  28. Blue cotton v-neck t-shirt
  29. Green cotton v-neck t-shirt
  30. Grey cotton v-neck t-shirt
  31. Tan cotton v-neck t-shirt
  32. Black cotton/spandex tank top
  33. Orange cashmere wrap cardigan
  34. Black cotton button cardigan
  35. Turquoise cable knit cotton v-neck sweater
  36. Turquoise wool crew neck sweater
  37. Grey cotton v-neck sweater
  38. Tan cotton v-neck sweater
  39. Green cotton v-neck sweater
  40. Cream cotton v-neck sweater
  41. Black zippered hoodie with front pocket
  42. Formal golden yellow taffeta dress
  43. Black pin-striped suit

 

Those last two I never wear (along with the heels), but I feel like I should have them if I ever decide to go back to work or have an occasion to wear them. eyesroll.gif I am going to the ballet next weekend, but it's a matinee, so I'll likely dress casually.

 

Also, I live in a relatively temperate climate (pacific northwest), so it doesn't get too cold, though it does rain a lot and I'm a college student, so although I dress better than most of the college students I encounter (I saw someone in pajamas with an overcoat yesterday - its finals week) I can get away with being fairly casual and it's the west coast. When I lived on the east coast my wardrobe would have looked much different, had I been as minimalist then as I am now.

 

I'm looking forward to seeing your list... and others! love.gif

post #3 of 61

I'm gearing up for my own version of Project 36/365. In my version, none of my jewelry counts in the 36 items, and  I will be replacing items with better quality versions as I can (and that won't be considered cheating because I will still have just the 36 items). 

 

I am sticking to a color scheme as well. My base colors will be denim(blue) and black...and the rest of my clothes will be in shades of blue and green. Shoes, purse, coat will all be black to go with everything.

 

I don't have all these things yet as I am gathering stuff together and starting January 1st. I plan on going the whole year with my 36 items unless God works a miracle and I end up pregnant and far enough along to have to start wearing maternity before the end of 2012 (which would be a dream come true after this year). Also, some of these items are really in sad shape, but I have to make them work till I can afford to replace them.

 

Outerwear:

1. trench coat with removable liner

2. cardigan

3. hoodie

4. hoodie

5. wrap

6. scarf

7. winter hat

8. gloves

 

Shoes:

9. chunky sandals or flips

10. slip on shoes

11. boots

12. strappy heels

 

Accessories:

13. purse

14. belt

 

Tops:

15. tank top

16. tank top

17. tank top

18. tank top

19. casual short sleeve

20. casual short sleeve

21. casual short sleeve

22. nicer short sleeve

23. nicer short sleeve

24. casual long sleeve

25. casual long sleeve

26. nicer long sleeve

 

Bottoms:

27. jeans

28. jeans

29. black slacks

30. long black skirt

31. long denim skirt

32. shorter black skirt

33. shorter denim skirt

 

Dresses:

34. LBD (litle black dress)

35. print dress

 

That leaves me with one open spot and I'm torn between a cute olive green cotton dress that has to be worn with a tank top underneath that is super comfy in the summer and a wrap skirt in sari material that can be worn several ways...or do I keep both and get rid of the black slacks since I can always wear dark jeans or a black skirt with a nice top instead of the slacks (Maybe I can post pics of me wearing each thing and get ya'lls opinions?)

 

post #4 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainey Daye View Post

That leaves me with one open spot and I'm torn between a cute olive green cotton dress that has to be worn with a tank top underneath that is super comfy in the summer and a wrap skirt in sari material that can be worn several ways...or do I keep both and get rid of the black slacks since I can always wear dark jeans or a black skirt with a nice top instead of the slacks (Maybe I can post pics of me wearing each thing and get ya'lls opinions?)

 


I would definitely keep the black slacks... can you give up one of the skirts for the sari wrap skirt? And/or maybe give up one of the jeans for the dress? And yes!! Post pics, by all means!

 

post #5 of 61

I look at your lists and envy you guys... I think my wardrobe is one area that is never going to be minimalist.

post #6 of 61

Some of the things on my list are still figurative...like the denim skirts, the LBD, and the black slacks...since I haven't got them yet. Other things will definitely need replacing as well...like I'm still using my wool coat that's on it's sixth winter until I can find the trench coat I want in the price I can afford. My cute $3 Goodwill find boots are just about to lose a heel and will need replacing SOON (those will be my first big purchase, as I want a good pair of leather boots...probably Doc Martens as they have some more feminine styles now and I'm kinda past the whole clunky boot thing). 

 

Other things I have, but will probably need to replace. I think my one good pair of jeans may be ruined with a sudden gush I had last week with this last miscarriage...really hoping they aren't as they are a decent pair of a good brand and they aren't so crazy low-rise. I have like three other pairs of jeans in the house, but with the two pregnancies this year that got to nine weeks each, I can't fit in two of the pairs so I'm squeezing myself into the last pair of jeans so that I have at least one pair to wear (but they aren't keepers in the long run). I will be getting rid of one of the pairs I can't fit into as I think they are too low-rise for me anymore. The other pair I will pack away till I lose the baby weight (cause they are a pair that is vintage AE bootcut...they don't stretch, and therefore don't get stretched out with multiple wearings)...it's my goal to fit back into them and have them be one of my two pairs. 

 

Some of my tops are acceptable and will work for now, but as I said in my first post, I am allowing myself to replace things through the year as I can so long as I stick to the 36 item limit. 

post #7 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainey Daye View Post

Some of the things on my list are still figurative...like the denim skirts, the LBD, and the black slacks...since I haven't got them yet. Other things will definitely need replacing as well...like I'm still using my wool coat that's on it's sixth winter until I can find the trench coat I want in the price I can afford. My cute $3 Goodwill find boots are just about to lose a heel and will need replacing SOON (those will be my first big purchase, as I want a good pair of leather boots...probably Doc Martens as they have some more feminine styles now and I'm kinda past the whole clunky boot thing). 

 

Other things I have, but will probably need to replace. I think my one good pair of jeans may be ruined with a sudden gush I had last week with this last miscarriage...really hoping they aren't as they are a decent pair of a good brand and they aren't so crazy low-rise. I have like three other pairs of jeans in the house, but with the two pregnancies this year that got to nine weeks each, I can't fit in two of the pairs so I'm squeezing myself into the last pair of jeans so that I have at least one pair to wear (but they aren't keepers in the long run). I will be getting rid of one of the pairs I can't fit into as I think they are too low-rise for me anymore. The other pair I will pack away till I lose the baby weight (cause they are a pair that is vintage AE bootcut...they don't stretch, and therefore don't get stretched out with multiple wearings)...it's my goal to fit back into them and have them be one of my two pairs. 

 

Some of my tops are acceptable and will work for now, but as I said in my first post, I am allowing myself to replace things through the year as I can so long as I stick to the 36 item limit. 


 

This is me too... I have already replaced a few items with higher quality pieces as I have gone on. My shoes and bags are all good quality now, plus one dress (an amazing Goodwill find of a DKNY travel knit piece with the tags still on!) and my outwear (Burlington Coat Factory $60 for a London Fog trench coat with silver toggle clasps!) is of good quality too. Most everything else is cheap and of poor quality, unfortunately, but I'm getting there, which is more than I can say of my former clothes horse self.

 

P.S. I'm so sorry for your recent losses, mama! hug2.gif

 

post #8 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDouble View Post

I look at your lists and envy you guys... I think my wardrobe is one area that is never going to be minimalist.



If you want to try it, there is this amazing wardrobe experiment that can help... box every single item of clothing up. Include bags and shoes, outerwear and even jewelry, if you dare. Then, when you want to wear something, first go to your empty closet to find what you need (obviously, the first time you won't find it there - LOL), then check to see if it's in the wash (wash it if it is), then go to the boxes to get it if it's not in either place. At the end of the day, put what you wore (not just what you tried on!) in the wash (if necessary) and then return it to the closet. Do this every time you get dressed... i.e. go to the closet first, then the wash, then the boxes. Put a time limit on it. Mine was initially a year, but I eventually realized I didn't need that much time. Then sell or donate what's left without mercy, regret or nostalgia!

 

If you do, we'd love to hear about your adventures!

 

post #9 of 61

oooh this is my first post as a minimalist mama. 

 

wow. i cant do minimalism as you guys can where clothes are concerned. what i have are my own minimalist. i draw a line at that. 

 

its coz of the lifestyle i lead. i have school, i have work, plus these events where i have go show different sides of me. so as an immigrant there are times when i have to wear my dress to go for some events (not necessarily they are cultural events).

 

so with my cultural clothes i cant really mix and match. and thus i have more clothes than this list but its kinda the right amount for me - i think.

 

i wear all of them. the thing i dont like when i use all my clothes very often they dont last that long. and i like having more choice and making them last longer. 

 

i receive and i purge regularly. 

 

now i have minimalist underwear, socks, shoes, pjs and jackets. 

 

like for shoes i have hiking boots that are used regularly, tennis shoes that i do use, an indoor and outdoor flip flop (i live in them mostly), one casual sandals and one dressy shoe. that's 6 sets of minimal shoes. 

 

also i love color and cultural dresses. so its not easy to mix and match (like no way will my african skirt match my nicaraguan top). 

 

my clothes are also in categories. like my camping and hiking clothes are slightly different. like my pants i dont wear them regularly. i have several undershirts for cold winter which are rejected thin skin fitting tops. 

 

however i will say clothes are books are my areas where i think my definition of minimalist differs from others. 

post #10 of 61

Well, this is timely.  I have just completed a 5,000+ mile, 2 month trip in a small travel trailer with 3 kids, hubby, and a bunny.  We drove through 9 states and one province, going from Texas to Calgary and back.  Our home is for sale (didn't sell while we were gone), and we are ultimately planning to live full-time on the road - eventually in a bigger trailer, though - with 3 rabbits and a cat and whatever other furry critters decide to take up residence with us.

 

Anyway ...

 

We have returned to a 2400 sf house with all the amenities, and I am totally lost.  I opened my closet yesterday to look for something to wear, after having less than 20 pieces in my wardrobe and wearing 2 pair of shoes for the past few weeks.  Guess what?  nothing to wear!  My closet isn't very full, though, since I've worked really hard at getting rid of things I don't wear.  What's left is mostly things that I'm emotionally attached to - or summer stuff that I don't plan to wear for a few more months.

 

Before our trip, I bought a winter coat, a pair of outdoor slippers and a pair of comfy pants.  While in Canada, I bought a sweater and two skirts at Goodwill, 2 new pair of leggings, and a pair of new winter boots.  Besides that, I haven't bought any new clothes in at least 6 months.  I think I've done pretty good, but I'm not satisfied.

 

I worry that having fewer items will mean that what I have will wear out faster.  I'm already dealing with anxiety about my aging and frumpiness - don't really want to make it worse with worn-out clothing.  I also don't have a desire for a single-palette wardrobe.  I wear colors based on my mood.

 

thanks for awesome ideas!

--janis

post #11 of 61

Mommel,  are those ballet flats comfortable to wear with no socks?  They look like something I would really love, except I don't do socks!

 

I think I am TOO minimalist for clothes.  I am so picky, and I've been pregnant/postpartum/breastfeeding/normal again so many times now in the past 5 years that my closet is really really sad.  I pretty much wear the same couple of things over and over again, and those items are really getting worn out. bag.gif  

post #12 of 61

Excellent!  I'm in my 12th week and have started to feel that organizational bug take hold...tonight I'm tackling my closet!  mischievous.gif  Thanks for the inspiration and lists-- I love lists. 

 

Mommel-- great method.  Love it.  Thanks for sharing--

 

Looking forward to posting my findings.

post #13 of 61

So, I did it.  Now, I have nothing to wear!  *and I hate the color black!

I would replace nearly everything in this list, if I could.  I kept the bare minimum so I would have something to wear!

 

1-3 black skirts *none of which I love, but one is a short stretchy skirt that I could grow to love*

4 muddy brown organic cotton culottes *used to love, but now they have some holes and look less nice

5 black danskin spandex capri yoga pants with rainbow trim *not very fashionable, but comfy

6 black shorts I made from tshirts

27 gray skirt

 

7 black nursing tank *squishes my boobs

8 pink nursing tank *much more flattering, but not favorite color

9 green sleeping tank

 

10 black long sleeve tshirt

11 grey long sleeve tshirt with pink peace & hearts

12 tan long sleeve tshirt with birds

13 purple & white vintage button front shirt

14 navy long sleeve tshirt with Gandhi slogan

 

15 green Nordic sweater *for warmth

16 Dad's vintage cardigan *white, black, red

17 turquoise hand knitted cardigan

 

18-20 black leggings

21 brown leggings

22 maroon leggings

 

23 winter coat

24 leopard print vintage dress-coat *impractical & not warm

25 denim coat

 

26 black & white polka dot sleeveless dress

 

pj pants & a long sleeve tshirt - just keeping til I find new pjs

 

4 wool day socks

2 wool slipper socks

2 hand knitted socks

2 favorite cute socks

 

3 worn out Blue Canoe organic bras

 

black boots (new)

tan Merrell slip on sneakers 

brown Earth maryjanes *brown

lime green Simple sneakers

black flip flops

lime green Keen sandals

natural rope sandals

Lands End fleece clogs for outdoor slippers

 

tshirts that I plan to cut up to make a skirt or jacket

and a few other sentimental shirts that I rarely wear anymore

post #14 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post

Mommel,  are those ballet flats comfortable to wear with no socks?  They look like something I would really love, except I don't do socks!

 

I think I am TOO minimalist for clothes.  I am so picky, and I've been pregnant/postpartum/breastfeeding/normal again so many times now in the past 5 years that my closet is really really sad.  I pretty much wear the same couple of things over and over again, and those items are really getting worn out. bag.gif  


Oh yes! I'm not a big fan of socks either and I never wear those flats with socks!

 

I do find that things get worn out faster in a minimalist wardrobe, but even with replacing them I still spend less than I did before I went minimalist and bought clothes on a whim (or because I didn't want to do laundry). 

 

I'm excited to see so many of us striving toward minimalism here!!

 

 

post #15 of 61

I'm completely failing in this area, like I'm tempted to ignore this post and not own up to having this many clothes. I started typing my clothes up and have 3X the amount of clothes I thought I did. After moving from a warm climate to New England my wardrobe has literally doubled. I'm so cold all the time that I need layers year round now. I love comfy, cottony skirts, so I have a large skirt arsenal, but I realistically need pants, which I hate, for the winter/snow.

My other issues is that we live in an area that is 1/2 informal, country (need clothes that can get grubby or hold up in the snowy slush) and 1/2 high-end dressy(nice stuff to go out in, church, socialize with coworkers).

 

Since I've been refusing to purchase a lot of maternity clothes, I've been living in a 12 piece wardrobe. So obviously I can live with less, but I've felt embarrassed a few times because I'm always wearing the same shirts. I would want more for my normal wardrobe.

 

So here is my ridiculously shameful list: blush.gif

1-5 dresses (1 long wintery one, 3 short ones, 1 formal one)

6-13 skirts (3 long, 5 short)

14-23 (9) long sleeve shirts and sweaters

24-29 (5) cardigans, these are my most worn items that I love

30-33 (4) 3/4 length mid-weight shirts

34-42 (9) short sleeve shirts

43-48 (6) tank tops, for the summer, swimming or the beach

49-55 (7) undershirts, I wear these alone during summer, under cardigans in the spring and fall and under sweaters in the winter so they really get used

56 pair of khaki shorts

57 pair of capris

58-59 (2) jeans

60 pair of khaki pants

61-62 (2) black pants

63 pair of gray pants

64 pair of ski pants

65 Swimming shorts

66-67 Swimsuits

For Pj's, active wear (we play a lot of sports) or lounging around

68-71 (4) yoga type pants

72-75 (4) yoga type capris

76 (1) pair of shorts

77-88 (12 ) shirts

The short sleeve shirts, pj/active wear shirts, and tank tops can surely be cut down, but I'm going to wait till the summer to go through those.

I'm better with accessories.

1 purse

2 pairs of gloves (1 ski, 1 everyday)

1 ski cap and 2 winter headbands

5 scarves, This is all you see with my coats during the winter. They are kind of like shirts and I like to have a few options.

Jewelry: Wedding ring, 2 bracelets, 3 necklaces

I have no desire to purge any of my shoes, I'm very happy with the amount I have. 2 pairs of flip flops, 2 sandals, 3 close-toed shoes/boots, 1 pair running shoes, 1 pair of snow boots

 

I am absolutely not disclosing how many jackets I own. I grew up in the deep south. Maybe after 20 years up here I can get rid of some, but for now it's not happening.

post #16 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzubo View Post

I'm completely failing in this area, like I'm tempted to ignore this post and not own up to having this many clothes. I started typing my clothes up and have 3X the amount of clothes I thought I did. After moving from a warm climate to New England my wardrobe has literally doubled. I'm so cold all the time that I need layers year round now. I love comfy, cottony skirts, so I have a large skirt arsenal, but I realistically need pants, which I hate, for the winter/snow.

My other issues is that we live in an area that is 1/2 informal, country (need clothes that can get grubby or hold up in the snowy slush) and 1/2 high-end dressy(nice stuff to go out in, church, socialize with coworkers).

 

Since I've been refusing to purchase a lot of maternity clothes, I've been living in a 12 piece wardrobe. So obviously I can live with less, but I've felt embarrassed a few times because I'm always wearing the same shirts. I would want more for my normal wardrobe.

 

So here is my ridiculously shameful list: blush.gif

1-5 dresses (1 long wintery one, 3 short ones, 1 formal one)

6-13 skirts (3 long, 5 short)

14-23 (9) long sleeve shirts and sweaters

24-29 (5) cardigans, these are my most worn items that I love

30-33 (4) 3/4 length mid-weight shirts

34-42 (9) short sleeve shirts

43-48 (6) tank tops, for the summer, swimming or the beach

49-55 (7) undershirts, I wear these alone during summer, under cardigans in the spring and fall and under sweaters in the winter so they really get used

56 pair of khaki shorts

57 pair of capris

58-59 (2) jeans

60 pair of khaki pants

61-62 (2) black pants

63 pair of gray pants

64 pair of ski pants

65 Swimming shorts

66-67 Swimsuits

For Pj's, active wear (we play a lot of sports) or lounging around

68-71 (4) yoga type pants

72-75 (4) yoga type capris

76 (1) pair of shorts

77-88 (12 ) shirts

The short sleeve shirts, pj/active wear shirts, and tank tops can surely be cut down, but I'm going to wait till the summer to go through those.

I'm better with accessories.

1 purse

2 pairs of gloves (1 ski, 1 everyday)

1 ski cap and 2 winter headbands

5 scarves, This is all you see with my coats during the winter. They are kind of like shirts and I like to have a few options.

Jewelry: Wedding ring, 2 bracelets, 3 necklaces

I have no desire to purge any of my shoes, I'm very happy with the amount I have. 2 pairs of flip flops, 2 sandals, 3 close-toed shoes/boots, 1 pair running shoes, 1 pair of snow boots

 

I am absolutely not disclosing how many jackets I own. I grew up in the deep south. Maybe after 20 years up here I can get rid of some, but for now it's not happening.


Yep. Definitely not minimalist... orngtongue.gif It's good perspective for me though. I think I knew I'd crossed over from aspiring minimalist to practicing minimalist when instead of the urge to shop when I get stressed, it had suddenly been replaced with the urge to purge. Now, before I can stand to buy something new (or even accept gifts or hand-me-downs) I feel like I have to get rid of ten items for every one that comes into the house. LOL

 

Don't beat yourself up over it though... keep working on it. You'll get there eventually... some day you'll be asking yourself how you ever managed to stay sane with two pairs of gloves (or something like that). Hee hee.

 

As for a mix of casual and chic, I consider myself fairly fashionable. Most of what I wear is appropriate for many dressy occasions. I go to the ballet and symphony frequently and never feel out of place (it's the northwest though, so not nearly as dressy as when I lived in the northeast). I'm not a sweatpants and slippers kind of gal, by any means and with well-chosen base accessories and well-coiffed hair, you can dress up a lot. wild.gif

 

 

post #17 of 61

All right.  Here is my list:

 

1 Pink short sleeved shirt (too small, I don't wear it)

2 Blue short sleeved shirt (doesn't match my skirts, I don't wear it)

3 Red short sleeved shirt (I don't like nursing in it, I hardly wear it)

4 Black short sleeved shirt

5 Purple short sleeved shirt

6 Maroon long sleeved shirt (don't like nursing in it)

7 Black long sleeved shirt (worn out, needs replaced)

8 Orange floral skirt (like it, but doesn't match everything)

9 Black skirt

10 Blue floral print skirt (needs replaced)

11 Black and white skirt (needs replaced)

12 Black slacks

13 Yoga pants (need replaced)

14 Black dress

15 Blue dress (unwearable, needs repaired)

 

16 Legally blonde hoodie

17 Long grey sweater

18 Winter coat

19 Gloves

20 Duct tape flip flops

21 Ugg Moccasins

22 Small purse

23 Diaper bag

 

huge t-shirt I sleep in

4 pairs of socks

4 pairs of underwear (needs replaced)

4 bras (three different sizes, one bra currently fits me)

black leggings (needs replaced)

 

2 hair clips

3 pony tail holders

1 headband

5 pairs of earrings

4 necklaces

1 bracelet

wedding ring

engagement ring

 

blush

concealer

eye shadow

eye liner

lip gloss

 

I really want to get rid of the three shirts I don't like and instead have two jewel tone shirts I really like, and replace my two worn out skirts with a navy or denim and a grey.  Then everything would be really mix and match.  I could get rid of my Legally Blonde sweater and the winter coat, they really don't look very nice on me, but they are comfortable.  I'm hoping to be able to get either a dressy sandal, or maybe ballet flats because I do need a nicer shoe, and when I do that, the homemade flip flops will be tossed.  I never wear any of my jewelry except my rings, I could probably pare down the earrings and necklaces if I really wanted.

 

Oh, and sometimes I think I'd like a pair of jeans, but everything in my above list I can wear pregnant, post-partum, and after, but with jeans you can't do that.....

 

Edit:  I had to toss one skirt, and then Dh got me a short sleeved shirt for Christmas so I sent two that I don't really like to the thrift store.  So I have 21 items.


Edited by Paigekitten - 1/1/12 at 9:13pm
post #18 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post



If you want to try it, there is this amazing wardrobe experiment that can help... box every single item of clothing up. Include bags and shoes, outerwear and even jewelry, if you dare. Then, when you want to wear something, first go to your empty closet to find what you need (obviously, the first time you won't find it there - LOL), then check to see if it's in the wash (wash it if it is), then go to the boxes to get it if it's not in either place. At the end of the day, put what you wore (not just what you tried on!) in the wash (if necessary) and then return it to the closet. Do this every time you get dressed... i.e. go to the closet first, then the wash, then the boxes. Put a time limit on it. Mine was initially a year, but I eventually realized I didn't need that much time. Then sell or donate what's left without mercy, regret or nostalgia!

 

If you do, we'd love to hear about your adventures!

 



Awesome idea.  I'm moving this weekend so all the clothes will be boxed anyway, now I am thinking I just wont unpack anything till I need it. lol 

 

post #19 of 61

So I've decided that since the heel is really going to fall off my boot one of these days soon that I will concentrate on replacing those this winter (trying to persuade DH that I really DO want nice boots as my main Christmas gift)!! I will just take my black wool coat to the cleaners and get it nice and spruced up there and it'll be fine for one more winter I think. 

 

I went to JCPenney last night cause they were having a two day sale that ended last night and I was able to get a hoodie and a zip cardigan sweater...both on sale for half their normal price. Once my coat is cleaned and I find at least a winter hat and gloves (though it'd be nice to have a matched hat, gloves, and scarf...and I'd get rid of the scarves I already have)...then I'll be all set for cold weather stuff. Eventually I'd like to trade out my other hoodie because it's a little too heavy for wearing as a layering top (it's more like a lightweight jacket)...but it will do for now. Of the two things I bought last night, one is a Christmas gift from DH and the other from my parents...they just had me pick the stuff out...so it's cool that it's new. I do prefer thrift shopping mostly, but now that I'm going for quality over quantity, I'm okay with certain purchases being new.

 

This is the hoodie I got...in the blue with black and green trim...

 

 

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/x6e.aspx?deptid=70656&catid=81204&grptyp=ENS&itemid=1d786cb

 

This is the zip cardigan sweater I got...in the Amazon green shade...it will replace a black button cardigan (which a big busted girl should never try to wear a button cardigan...it just doesn't quite look right)!!

 

 

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=SIZ&ItemID=1cf752a&SearchRedirect=True&SO=0&x5view=1&Cat=St.+Johns+Bay&Pcat=BRANDS&Ne=4294957900+6+4+5+587+29+3+15+12+18+949&DeptID=84072&pagesize=1&SelDim=4294957900~+4~+5~&CatSel=4294929475|women&Dep=BRANDS&PCatID=84072&Nao=0&N=4294929475+4294966042+4294967075&CatTyp=RLE&CatID=84406&NOffset=0&PSO=0&bcCat=3&CmCatId=searchresults

post #20 of 61

Well, I went through both my warm weather (3 months of the year) and cold weather clothes, and found...107 items.  *hangs head in shame*  I definitely have a project.

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Minimalist Mamas
Mothering › Groups › Minimalist Mamas › Discussions › Minimalist Wardrobe