or Connect
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › December Chit Chat

December Chit Chat - Page 2

post #21 of 580

I broke down last night again because of DD's behavior. She's turned into such a monster. My sweet baby girl is gone. She's so defiant and mean. It doesn't matter how I go about doing something, her favorite thing is saying no and hitting. This didn't happen until Levi was born. I take time with her and tend to her needs right away, so as not to make her feel left out or that she's not as important, but she still resorts to poor behavior. It makes me so sad that it makes me mad and then frustrated with her and then I get even more sad that I got frustrated and then I just want to hold her. I've been trying positive redirection, but it takes ALOT out of me, as she only walks all over me MORE.

post #22 of 580
Thread Starter 

I'm sorry Becky!  Casey is only 3 months older than my ds, so she has just crossed over that 2 year old threshold.  While I hear that this is new behavior since Levi was born, it's possible that these behaviors were going to emerge soon anyway and Levi's presence just jump started them.  I have found my dd much more of a behavioral challenge than my ds at every single developmental stage.  Do you think she might have some cabin fever?  You are going through a LOT with your own health issues and tending to a newborn, so I can only imagine that she senses the stress.  Is there anyone in your AP group that she could play with?  Maybe even someone that would be willing to have her over to their house?  Or do a swap?

post #23 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

I'm sorry Becky!  Casey is only 3 months older than my ds, so she has just crossed over that 2 year old threshold.  While I hear that this is new behavior since Levi was born, it's possible that these behaviors were going to emerge soon anyway and Levi's presence just jump started them.  I have found my dd much more of a behavioral challenge than my ds at every single developmental stage.  Do you think she might have some cabin fever?  You are going through a LOT with your own health issues and tending to a newborn, so I can only imagine that she senses the stress.  Is there anyone in your AP group that she could play with?  Maybe even someone that would be willing to have her over to their house?  Or do a swap?


I'm actually planning a cookie decorating playdate soon with another AP mom that I found out has UC'd as well. Her oldest is 15 and is certified for babysitting(youngest is 18 months old), so I'm wondering if around tax-time DH and I should try a datenight. She keeps asking to go to the playground and I'd planned on it today, but it snowed a little bit, so the equipment isn't fit for playing on.
 

 

post #24 of 580


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivated Mama View Post
The metabolic screen (one of the only things I agreed to do) came back positive for cystic fibrosis. After giving me a heart attack, we learned that there's a 1/30 chance that she has the disease and a 97% chance she's just a carrier. We won't know for sure until December 20th when they will perform a sweat test to see. I don't want this to play into my postpartum recovery. I am the happiest I have ever been postpartum and she is the healthiest baby since DD1. All of my kids have something that makes them "special" and I was hoping for a baby that didn't have to see any sort of specialist for once. ::sigh:: It's going to be a long 18 days.


Eeek, hoping that you get some reassuring news as soon as possible!

 


Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post



I'll be interested to see where my weight is at. I don't have a scale at home, so it'll have to wait until my 6 week check up on the 14th. I went to the doc for a UTI at one week PP and I was only 7 lbs above pre-pregnancy weight, so I wouldn't be surprised if I've lost it all already. I was a little overweight when I got pregnant though, so I'm really okay with losing the weight. I've been eating well, but like J I kind of have to make myself eat. I'm just not that hungry for some reason and when I am hungry, nothing really sounds good. I've been extremely thirsty though, so lots of water. I remember people saying with my first that nursing makes you so thirsty, but I never really got that feeling. I get it this time though! I'm constantly thirst for ice cold water. 

 

I'm getting a Mirena put in at my 6 week appointment. I'm a little nervous about it. I didn't respond well to BC pills and haven't been on any hormones since then. I had a long conversation with my midwife about it and she thinks I'll do well with it since it's such a low dose hormone. Anyone here have any experience with the Mirena?


 

Weight:  yea, I'm at my pre-pregnancy weight as of a week ago blush.gif  half of what i gained was baby as well.  I have to remind myself to eat, but when I do, o man am I hungry!  DH has been making a big pot of rice every morning around brunch-time, and thats' been a great thing to have around, cause me and the kids can snack on that all day.

 

BC:  I have heard both good and bad about the Mirena.  I know a friend of mine had an awful experience with it--it gave her horrible depression that she couldn't explain.  She ended up removing it herself out of desperation, and felt loads better almost overnight.  So maybe just watch out for unexplained depression!  huh.gif

 

AFM:  I went to my pre-op for getting my tubes tied yesterday.  zomg--my insurance is actually valid, the doctor I wanted is available, and everything is set up to go just swimmingly.  so in two weeks my fertility will be a thing of the past, hehe.  and I get to have my umbilical hernia repaired, which turned out to be quite tiny, and not at all the massive complicated issue i was fearing it to be.  thumb.gif

 

Ollie is two weeks old today.  Wow.  Where is the time going??  

 

Holidays:  Are you guys ready???  I'm not!  

I finally have some money to think about Christmas presents--so maybe I will do that today.  I wanna put up the tree this weekend, and start baking cookies.  The cookie tradition just won't be the same this year, cause DH can't eat gluten!  Anyone got some good GF cookie recipes??  eat.gif


 

 
post #25 of 580


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhappy85 View Post

As of this morning 8 days pp, I'm down 20 lbs. blush.gif That has to be all lost from the baby, tissues and fluids leaving my body....... It's not like I'm not eating! But I'm definitely not eating as much or as often as I was while pregnant. I'm so happy I finally was able to cook myself something for lunch. Sora is asleep in her swing and I'm enjoying some time with my hands free. DH was so sweet and cooked me a huge protein-filled breakfast this morning when he got home from work. I don't think I'd be eating hardly at all if he weren't taking care of preparing meals for me. My hands are NEVER FREE!

 

I'm thinking of looking into joining a La Leche League group. DH went back to work last night and it was hard on me to see him go, I cried for a little bit. Then the rest of the evening I ended up having a horrible time trying to get Sora to latch correctly. She has been great at latching since right after birth, but in the evenings it seems like she has a harder time and I think it's my fault. I don't know if I'm just so tired at night that I'm not as vigilant about how I'm holding her or what is going on. I tried a million different positions last night, different angles, but she would suck for a little bit and then extend her head back with my nipple being pulled and then lean back in to suck again. Not a continuous latch. It was excruciating and I was crying practically all night. I felt so bad crying over her. greensad.gif She was crying off and on then, too, because she seemed so frustrated. And since she kept going back to my breast every 30 minutes trying again, she pooped after nearly every feeding too so I was changing diapers nonstop. DH felt bad when he texted from work later to see how things were going and I was having a meltdown. I finally got Sora to latch long enough to get her fill and we fell asleep in bed together. Everything this morning is better but I'm just feeling like I should seek out group support so I can keep my spirits up with the commitment of breastfeeding and not get too discouraged when things don't go perfectly all of the time. Breastfeeding is so important to me, it got scary for me last night to be doubting my decision to do it. crap.gif

 

Question: Has anybody here had very minimal to no soreness during your first week pp but then soreness set in later? I woke up today barely able to walk, my pubic bone and pelvis are hurting so bad, everything there feels stiff. It could just be that I was sleeping on my sides all night next to the baby and forgot to put a pillow between my legs... It just really really sucks having pain NOW when I didn't have anything after the birth. *sigh*



I think the pulling back/off issue at night sounds like a flow issue.  Are you more engorged during those feedings?  It would be a huge pain but you could pump a bit right before she starts to nurse so that she isn't having an issue with the flow.  Dylan does that as well (all day long since I am producing soooooo much) so I just let him have a break for a second to get his bearings, then latch back on when he's ready.  Pumping beforehand helps as well.  



Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post


 


Eeek, hoping that you get some reassuring news as soon as possible!

 


Quote:


 

Weight:  yea, I'm at my pre-pregnancy weight as of a week ago blush.gif  half of what i gained was baby as well.  I have to remind myself to eat, but when I do, o man am I hungry!  DH has been making a big pot of rice every morning around brunch-time, and thats' been a great thing to have around, cause me and the kids can snack on that all day.

 

BC:  I have heard both good and bad about the Mirena.  I know a friend of mine had an awful experience with it--it gave her horrible depression that she couldn't explain.  She ended up removing it herself out of desperation, and felt loads better almost overnight.  So maybe just watch out for unexplained depression!  huh.gif

 

AFM:  I went to my pre-op for getting my tubes tied yesterday.  zomg--my insurance is actually valid, the doctor I wanted is available, and everything is set up to go just swimmingly.  so in two weeks my fertility will be a thing of the past, hehe.  and I get to have my umbilical hernia repaired, which turned out to be quite tiny, and not at all the massive complicated issue i was fearing it to be.  thumb.gif

 

Ollie is two weeks old today.  Wow.  Where is the time going??  

 

Holidays:  Are you guys ready???  I'm not!  

I finally have some money to think about Christmas presents--so maybe I will do that today.  I wanna put up the tree this weekend, and start baking cookies.  The cookie tradition just won't be the same this year, cause DH can't eat gluten!  Anyone got some good GF cookie recipes??  eat.gif


 


Uh not ready for holidays yet.  I wanted to put the tree up and watch Elf with DS1 and do lots of fun stuff this week but we, uh, didn't get to it.  We did give the boys special holiday pajamas though and they loved that.  Well, DS1 loved it.  Dylan just, you know, wriggled around like a newbie ROTFLMAO.gif

 

AFM I'm surprised by how well we are all doing.  DH had a rough morning with the boys while I napped but he handled it well from what he told me.  DS1 is seeming to get cabin fever so we're taking him out of the house for a bit today.  Maybe to the library tomorrow as well.  He just runs around like he has ADD or something, nothing keeps his attention for too long.  Even breakfast was a battle and he NEVER has trouble eating breakfast.  It took him an hour to eat because he kept going to play and coming back.  An HOUR.  So we got the highchair out again to strap him in during meals since it's so frustrating irked.gif  But that's the extent of his "acting out" so far.  I'm pretty thankful for that.  He is probably saving it up for when it's just me with the two of them though.  EEK!  I'm so nervous about that!

 

post #26 of 580

Joanie - Baby girl and I have the same issue at night!  The pain always seems to return during middle-of-the-night feedings, ugh.  Well, it's returning right now cause Katie's having a growth spurt for sure, and nursing pretty much 24/7.  But it's nowhere NEAR as bad as it used to be. When it hurts now, its more just uncomfortable, not that AGONY that it was in the beginning. Hang in there, I promise it gets better!

 

Krystal - Do you have the Babycakes NYC cookbook?  All vegan and TONS of amazing GF recipes.  I'll send you some cookie recipes when I find the book... might be at my parents house though, in which case I can send them to you when I get there after Dec. 11th.

 

I have no idea where my weight is, just that my pre-pregnancy jeans are nowhere near fitting.  Still wearing my maternity jeans, oh well.  I have some disordered eating and major body-image issues in my past that I'm kinda fighting against right now.  I feel this huge anxiety about fitting into my old clothes. I was an avid runner pre-pregnancy, and I want to start again... and I love running, but the urge to start running again feels a little compulsive, like "gotta get skinny, gotta get skinny, gotta get skinny."  And having a daughter now, I feel especially aware of this kind of thinking, and the fact that I don't want her to doubt for a moment that her body is perfect.  Whenever I'm changing her diaper or giving her a bath I am in awe of her beauty and utter perfection.  I never want to put clothes on her cause I'm obsessed with her sweet little body and the feel of her skin against mine.  She's got this port-wine stain birthmark that covers her entire right leg, and half of her little butt cheek, and it's so amazingly beautiful to me and I am so anxious of the day when she feels self-conscious about it.  I know I have to model body-love for her.  I can't just wish it for her.  I have to show her.  Kind of a daunting task for me.

post #27 of 580
It's been a rough afternoon. Katie is nursing and falls asleep towards the end and I take her off. After a few minutes, she starts screaming and I find a huge bowel movement. I clean it while she is still screaming then bounce her around for 10-20 minutes, swaddled, while talking, etc, and she is still screaming and gassy then we nurse again. REPEAT x3. WTH?! She's sleep nursing now. I can't do anything with my other kids who are pretty much running wild around the house (actually, they're playing rather quietly). She poops A LOT and she hates it. And she hates my wrap and sling so I can't get my hands free. Aaargh!
post #28 of 580

Squee!  Baby birthmarks!  Me and my boys all have a pretty killer "strawberry patch" on the backs of our necks. Apparently it usually goes away but my dad, sister, me, and my sons all have it.  People always notice it- my hair is usually kept shorter- but I've never been self conscious.  I'm so proud of it.  I love that it ties my family together!  I hope Katie sees the beauty in hers as well- it's so unique and makes her an individual.  
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKatie View Post

Joanie - Baby girl and I have the same issue at night!  The pain always seems to return during middle-of-the-night feedings, ugh.  Well, it's returning right now cause Katie's having a growth spurt for sure, and nursing pretty much 24/7.  But it's nowhere NEAR as bad as it used to be. When it hurts now, its more just uncomfortable, not that AGONY that it was in the beginning. Hang in there, I promise it gets better!

 

Krystal - Do you have the Babycakes NYC cookbook?  All vegan and TONS of amazing GF recipes.  I'll send you some cookie recipes when I find the book... might be at my parents house though, in which case I can send them to you when I get there after Dec. 11th.

 

I have no idea where my weight is, just that my pre-pregnancy jeans are nowhere near fitting.  Still wearing my maternity jeans, oh well.  I have some disordered eating and major body-image issues in my past that I'm kinda fighting against right now.  I feel this huge anxiety about fitting into my old clothes. I was an avid runner pre-pregnancy, and I want to start again... and I love running, but the urge to start running again feels a little compulsive, like "gotta get skinny, gotta get skinny, gotta get skinny."  And having a daughter now, I feel especially aware of this kind of thinking, and the fact that I don't want her to doubt for a moment that her body is perfect.  Whenever I'm changing her diaper or giving her a bath I am in awe of her beauty and utter perfection.  I never want to put clothes on her cause I'm obsessed with her sweet little body and the feel of her skin against mine.  She's got this port-wine stain birthmark that covers her entire right leg, and half of her little butt cheek, and it's so amazingly beautiful to me and I am so anxious of the day when she feels self-conscious about it.  I know I have to model body-love for her.  I can't just wish it for her.  I have to show her.  Kind of a daunting task for me.



 

post #29 of 580
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKatie View Post
I have no idea where my weight is, just that my pre-pregnancy jeans are nowhere near fitting.  Still wearing my maternity jeans, oh well. 

Pretty much everyone wears their maternity pants for a while postpartum!  Who can afford transition clothes? And I want to point out that even if you get back down to your pre-pregnancy weight (or near it) your bones still need to go back to where they were, which can cause your pants to not fit still.  But for most women, the bones DO move back and your pants will  once again fit- it can just take a little more time.  I just wanted you to be aware of that so you aren't surprised if it happens to you, too.  But soon you'll be able to get out with a jogging stroller, which usually babies LOVE and was totally my sanity saver with my first. 

 

post #30 of 580

Oh, and here are some calorically-dense breakfasts for you breastfeeding mamas...

 

Chai spiced smoothie

 

1-2 super-ripe frozen bananas (or add ice if bananas aren't frozen)

1/4 cup hemp seeds (super rich in omega-3s)

1 cup milk (almond, soy, whole, coconut, etc)

2 scoops protein powder (optional - I love hemp protein powder)

nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice to taste

 

Peanut butter banana smoothie

 

1-2 super-ripe frozen bananas (or, again, add ice if bananas aren't frozen)

2-4 tbsp peanut butter (oh yes)

1 tbsp raw cacao powder (optional)

2 scoops protein powder (optional - again, I use hemp protein powder)

1 cup milk (coconut, almond, etc)

 

Keep in mind that the amounts are total estimates on my part, cause I just kinda throw things in the blender and hope for the best!
 

Finally, you can do what I do every morning and make a huge thing of oatmeal (supposed to be good for milk production, or so I've heard) and add raisins, bananas, cinnamon, and about an entire CUP of raw walnuts.  Then I drizzle (er, drown) with agave syrup and top with some soy milk.  SO GOOD.

 

ETA: We also get huge boxes of Clif bars from Costco and I eat those throughout the day... including in the middle of the night.  I bring at least 2 with me on walks, errands, etc.  Total life-saver.

post #31 of 580

Congrats Abra! I saw your photos on Facebook and it looks like you had an amazing birth!

 

Nina-  that is really interesting to learn about the CF gene being so dominant in the Irish population.  Im full blooded Irish and never knew that, I also turned down genetic screening for myself.  My son did have a PKU (I know its not PKU anymore, its something metabolic screening) that came back abnormal but they were never able to tell me why.  Im going to have to do some research, but hearing this makes me glad I did not turn down the metabolic panel at our peds appt today.  Make sure you post about the results!  I will be thinking of you.

 

 

Re Mirena-  I am also having one put in at my 6 week check up.  I have never used any kind of birth control that invasive before, but knowing my history and how fertile I am its what was recommended by my doc while breastfeeding.  I do not tolerate BC pills well either.

 

 

About the late post partum pain- I have to say, I am at the 1 week mark and am feeling more pain also.  I spent a full week in bed with the baby doing nothing, and now that I am up and going my pelvis aches, my pubic bone aches, and I am bleeding more.  I can feel my bones and ligaments WANTING me to walk, and working on going back to their original state, but at the same time my bleeding is increasing which is telling me to take it easy still.  Realistically, I have 3 kids, I can only take it SO easy...but yes, I am having more pain lately also.

 

 

 

post #32 of 580

Thanks for the warm wishes everyone.  Coralie and I are doing great.  She goes from non-stop nursing to being very sleepy, pretty much a typical newborn.  I'm feeling pretty good, still a bit sore and light-headed, but that's to be expected.  I took Coralie for her first outing today to the pediatrician to get her tongue-tie clipped. My nipples were already starting to get sore and I'd like to avoid that if at all possible!    Now I'm enjoying my first glass of champagne in a very long time.  Mmmmmm....

post #33 of 580

Ugh. I just got back from the ER (again! 2nd time this week) for the clots in my leg, and it looks like I'm facing at least 6 weeks of anticoagulants. Possibly 3 months! I am really bummed, I hate taking drugs. And while the doctor has given me the green light to continue breastfeeding, a friend of mine was told by her doctor that she'd have to stop nursing for a week. So I freaked out a little (I had already nursed Oren at this point) but anything I can find online seems to say it's OK. But still.  And now I have to go back every night for 5 days to get my shot, which is no easy feat when you have a three-week-old baby and no car. 

 

 

 

post #34 of 580
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayPea View Post

Ugh. I just got back from the ER (again! 2nd time this week) for the clots in my leg, and it looks like I'm facing at least 6 weeks of anticoagulants. Possibly 3 months! I am really bummed, I hate taking drugs. And while the doctor has given me the green light to continue breastfeeding, a friend of mine was told by her doctor that she'd have to stop nursing for a week. So I freaked out a little (I had already nursed Oren at this point) but anything I can find online seems to say it's OK. But still.  And now I have to go back every night for 5 days to get my shot, which is no easy feat when you have a three-week-old baby and no car. 

 

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this!  I hope it resolves quicker than 3 months!  You can call InfantRisk and ask about the drug.  They are great on the phone and will even ask Dr. Hale himself if they are uncertain.
 

 

post #35 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKatie View Post

 

I have no idea where my weight is, just that my pre-pregnancy jeans are nowhere near fitting.  Still wearing my maternity jeans, oh well.  I have some disordered eating and major body-image issues in my past that I'm kinda fighting against right now.  I feel this huge anxiety about fitting into my old clothes. I was an avid runner pre-pregnancy, and I want to start again... and I love running, but the urge to start running again feels a little compulsive, like "gotta get skinny, gotta get skinny, gotta get skinny."  And having a daughter now, I feel especially aware of this kind of thinking, and the fact that I don't want her to doubt for a moment that her body is perfect.  Whenever I'm changing her diaper or giving her a bath I am in awe of her beauty and utter perfection.  I never want to put clothes on her cause I'm obsessed with her sweet little body and the feel of her skin against mine.  She's got this port-wine stain birthmark that covers her entire right leg, and half of her little butt cheek, and it's so amazingly beautiful to me and I am so anxious of the day when she feels self-conscious about it.  I know I have to model body-love for her.  I can't just wish it for her.  I have to show her.  Kind of a daunting task for me.



I know what you mean. I'm battling self-image issues myself. And also itching to run, because it was a major source of good fitness and good mood for me before getting pregnant. I can only pray for a way to show Casey to love her body. Lord knows I don't love mine. I actually never thought about teaching my kids about loving their bodies until now. :/

 

Editing to add a question:

DH asked last night what I want for Christmas and I told him I really really want a Moby but that I was afraid Levi wouldn't like it and if he didn't like it I couldn't use it and it'd be a huge waste. He loves being swaddled and held super close, so he shouldn't hate the Moby. I really really want one so I can wear him into the store instead of toting his carseat everywhere. And then to wear in the spring/summer when it warms up again to go for walks.

 


Edited by IwannaBanRN - 12/3/11 at 9:43am
post #36 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

 

Editing to add a question:

DH asked last night what I want for Christmas and I told him I really really want a Moby but that I was afraid Levi wouldn't like it and if he didn't like it I couldn't use it and it'd be a huge waste. He loves being swaddled and held super close, so he shouldn't hate the Moby. I really really want one so I can wear him into the store instead of toting his carseat everywhere. And then to wear in the spring/summer when it warms up again to go for walks.

 


Oren doesn't really like the Moby.  I also remember with DD that we had to stop using it by 8 weeks, because she just felt too big for it - plus she didn't like such a tight wrap by that point.  O loves being in the Ergo though, with the new infant insert.  We still use it to carry DD sometimes, so it's been really versatile.  I have said more than once that it's the best investment we made for our babies.  I definitely recommend some kind of soft structured carrier over a stretchy wrap for longevity. 

 

post #37 of 580

I know some mamas who have used the Moby for a good long time- like up to 9 months.  Likely depends on the size of your baby and personal preferences though.  shrug.gif  But an Ergo or Beco or Boba would all be a great choice since they last up to age 4 or so.  Boba is cheapest, and you can find them on craigslist as well (they go fast though!)  Mai Tei carriers are great too.

post #38 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayPea View Post


Oren doesn't really like the Moby.  I also remember with DD that we had to stop using it by 8 weeks, because she just felt too big for it - plus she didn't like such a tight wrap by that point.  O loves being in the Ergo though, with the new infant insert.  We still use it to carry DD sometimes, so it's been really versatile.  I have said more than once that it's the best investment we made for our babies.  I definitely recommend some kind of soft structured carrier over a stretchy wrap for longevity. 

 


I love my wrap, but I agree, long-term a SSC like an Ergo is a wiser investment. THe Moby will realistically only last most people 6-9 months, whereas the Ergo will last you a few years. I do know some people who have used the Moby with toddlers, but I really, really love my Ergo. I waited until my DD was 2 before I bought it, and I couldn't believe I had lived without it for so long. The Ergo is a bit more of an investment, though.
 

 

post #39 of 580

That sucks that it costs so much. greensad.gif I really like how the Ergo looks, but I was thinking the price of the Moby was perfect. Only because I was going to ask DH for a good large skillet with a lid also. lol

post #40 of 580

Okay, I need help irked.gif  I am starting to suspect a thrush infection, but I have no idea if I am just making a mountain out of a mole hill.. My nipples are still sore, of course, but I don't know what else to do about it (we've fixed all the issues that we can).  He may still have a shallow latch, but I can't get it to improve.  So that could be causing the soreness, but I also get some itchiness and stabbing pains randomly- I didn't think anything of it, just thought it was healing and milk coming in.  It really hurts when my letdown happens, and Dylan has a thin white coating on his tongue but that could just be milk and not thrush.  It's hard to know what is just sore/painful because of engorgement and transitioning to this new breastfeeding relationship, and what might be the symptom of a problem.... Any advice?!  I'm going to try to scrape some of the white off his tongue and see if it easily removes.  otherwise I have no idea how to tell if this is thrush or not....

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: November 2011 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › December Chit Chat