ok, so i know once you are retractable, you clean under the foreskin. but how do you know if you are retractable if you dont want to forcebly retract? When do most boys retract? Is 2 1/2 too young to worry about this yet?
- topicCircumcisiontagged by System, 12/3/11
Related Forum Threads
- Embarassed when son's circumcision is seen Last post on 12/4/13 at 10:58am in Understanding Circumcision
- Germany to ban elective surgery on children Last post on 12/5/13 at 11:02am in Understanding Circumcision
- intact four year old, redness at base of penis head, foreskin Last post on 11/27/13 at 8:42pm in Intact Care
- Foreskin friendly pediatrician in or near new orleans? Last post on 11/25/13 at 8:04pm in Understanding Circumcision
- I need advice. She's going to circumcise her 9 month old Last post on 11/24/13 at 2:42pm in Understanding Circumcision
Protect Your Uncircumcised Son: Expert Medical Advice for Parents
Last edited: 11/2/12
- Cutting KidsLast edited: 9/21/12
- Case Against CircumcisionLast edited: 9/7/12
- Marilyn Milos Discusses CircumcisionLast edited: 8/24/12
- Freedom from FGMLast edited: 5/25/11
cleaning intact 2 1/2 yr oldpost #1 of 1212/2/11 at 9:49pmThread Starterpost #2 of 1212/2/11 at 10:38pm
Yes. Two and a half is too young to worry about this. DS1 is 18, and stopped hanging around the house naked at age eight. He wasn't retracting at that time, and I have no idea when (or even if) he started to do so. DS2 was four (and very proud of his new "trick", which he came to show everyone). When your son is ready to retract, he'll do it (all the time, in many cases!). You just need to let him know to retract, rinse and replace in the shower (I don't even think that's 100% necessary, except to avoid odour buildup).post #3 of 1212/3/11 at 5:09amThread Starter
i had a pedi tell me (after i yelled at him for retracting just the tip of DS to "see & make sure everything was ok")
the pedi told me that if you dont clean you get infections. Now i know he was misinformed, but i dont know HOW misinformed... Can you get infections if you dont clean? (after you are retracting, of course... this dude wanted me to forcibly retract & clean) WHen I told him I thought intact penises were "self cleaning" he rolled his eyes and told me he had seen more "uncircumcised" penises than me and knew what he was talking about.
We never saw him again.post #4 of 1212/3/11 at 5:11amThread Starterpost #5 of 1212/3/11 at 8:49amQuote:Originally Posted by Storm Bride
Yes. Two and a half is too young to worry about this. DS1 is 18, and stopped hanging around the house naked at age eight. He wasn't retracting at that time, and I have no idea when (or even if) he started to do so. DS2 was four (and very proud of his new "trick", which he came to show everyone). When your son is ready to retract, he'll do it (all the time, in many cases!). You just need to let him know to retract, rinse and replace in the shower (I don't even think that's 100% necessary, except to avoid odour buildup).
Thanks for the tip. I can't wait for my three-year-old to discover this trick.
Good thing it never even occurred to me that my sons' intact penises would need any special care beyond being thrown in the tub along with the rest of them!post #6 of 1212/3/11 at 12:22pmThe only thing you need to do is tell your ds when he is old enough to understand and can retract is to retract, rinse, replace. But he dosnt need to do it until he is older.
No not retracting to clean will not cause infection, odor possibly and smegma build up but it will not cause infection.post #7 of 1212/3/11 at 12:30pmQuote:
I think they're usually misinformed. I also think the medical community's insistence on tearing back foreskin creates a lot of issues with adhesions, and probably infections, that end up "requiring" circ to address. (I don't even think circ is necessary in these cases, but the issues that exist are iatrogenic in the first place.)post #8 of 1212/3/11 at 12:31pmpost #9 of 1212/3/11 at 12:44pmpost #10 of 1212/3/11 at 1:53pmQuote:
Let's hope so. Whenever we have company DS1 gets so excited he strips off his clothes and runs around screaming, which I find sufficiently embarrassing without adding public retracting.post #11 of 1212/5/11 at 7:26pmpost #12 of 1212/14/11 at 10:13pmQuote:I told him I thought intact penises were "self cleaning" he rolled his eyes and told me he had seen more "uncircumcised" penises than me and knew what he was talking about.
Rolling the eyes can be a form of non-verbal abuse (signal of contempt).
According to his logic, the ritual third world circumciser who has circed tens of thousands, knows much more than what he does.
- Cutting Kids
- › 8 week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge version 12 (enrolling through... 20 seconds ago
- › Fabulous Forty Somethings TTC! 21 seconds ago
- › should I be taking a vitamin/supplement? 47 seconds ago
- › Birthday invite with “Please no plastic toys” 1 minute ago
- › What is your word for nursing? 3 minutes ago
- › Plus Size and Pregnant 4 minutes ago
- › Infertility for Beginners: "things I wish I had known" 4 minutes ago
- › Please explain to me why.. 4 minutes ago
- › Unwanted Baby Gifts 6 minutes ago
- › I love staying at home with my family because... 7 minutes ago
- › The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the... by Terry Stafford
- › The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice by Terry Stafford
- › The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Fembot
- › The Snow Queen by Astraia
- › The Polar Express by Alyssa Eisner
- › The Night Before Christmas by 1love4ever
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › Holiday Books Giveaway Rules by Melanie Mayo
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Marcy Axness
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Melanie Mayo