ok, so i know once you are retractable, you clean under the foreskin. but how do you know if you are retractable if you dont want to forcebly retract? When do most boys retract? Is 2 1/2 too young to worry about this yet?
- topicCircumcisiontagged by System, 12/2/11
Related Forum Threads
- Why do some people find circumcision funny? Last post on 3/9/14 at 10:23am in Understanding Circumcision
- Issues after circumcision Last post on 3/1/14 at 4:58am in Understanding Circumcision
- good news bad news Last post on Yesterday at 6:45 pm in Understanding Circumcision
- Another case where "un" is the default Last post on 1/24/14 at 7:39am in Understanding Circumcision
- using the term "cosmetically altered" Last post on 1/15/14 at 9:35pm in Understanding Circumcision
Protect Your Uncircumcised Son: Expert Medical Advice for Parents
Last edited: 11/2/12
- Cutting KidsLast edited: 9/21/12
- Case Against CircumcisionLast edited: 9/7/12
- Marilyn Milos Discusses CircumcisionLast edited: 8/24/12
- Freedom from FGMLast edited: 5/25/11
cleaning intact 2 1/2 yr oldpost #1 of 1212/2/11 at 9:49pmThread Starterpost #2 of 1212/2/11 at 10:38pm
Yes. Two and a half is too young to worry about this. DS1 is 18, and stopped hanging around the house naked at age eight. He wasn't retracting at that time, and I have no idea when (or even if) he started to do so. DS2 was four (and very proud of his new "trick", which he came to show everyone). When your son is ready to retract, he'll do it (all the time, in many cases!). You just need to let him know to retract, rinse and replace in the shower (I don't even think that's 100% necessary, except to avoid odour buildup).post #3 of 1212/3/11 at 5:09amThread Starter
i had a pedi tell me (after i yelled at him for retracting just the tip of DS to "see & make sure everything was ok")
the pedi told me that if you dont clean you get infections. Now i know he was misinformed, but i dont know HOW misinformed... Can you get infections if you dont clean? (after you are retracting, of course... this dude wanted me to forcibly retract & clean) WHen I told him I thought intact penises were "self cleaning" he rolled his eyes and told me he had seen more "uncircumcised" penises than me and knew what he was talking about.
We never saw him again.post #4 of 1212/3/11 at 5:11amThread Starterpost #5 of 1212/3/11 at 8:49amQuote:Originally Posted by Storm Bride
Yes. Two and a half is too young to worry about this. DS1 is 18, and stopped hanging around the house naked at age eight. He wasn't retracting at that time, and I have no idea when (or even if) he started to do so. DS2 was four (and very proud of his new "trick", which he came to show everyone). When your son is ready to retract, he'll do it (all the time, in many cases!). You just need to let him know to retract, rinse and replace in the shower (I don't even think that's 100% necessary, except to avoid odour buildup).
Thanks for the tip. I can't wait for my three-year-old to discover this trick.
Good thing it never even occurred to me that my sons' intact penises would need any special care beyond being thrown in the tub along with the rest of them!post #6 of 1212/3/11 at 12:22pmThe only thing you need to do is tell your ds when he is old enough to understand and can retract is to retract, rinse, replace. But he dosnt need to do it until he is older.
No not retracting to clean will not cause infection, odor possibly and smegma build up but it will not cause infection.post #7 of 1212/3/11 at 12:30pmQuote:
I think they're usually misinformed. I also think the medical community's insistence on tearing back foreskin creates a lot of issues with adhesions, and probably infections, that end up "requiring" circ to address. (I don't even think circ is necessary in these cases, but the issues that exist are iatrogenic in the first place.)post #8 of 1212/3/11 at 12:31pmpost #9 of 1212/3/11 at 12:44pmpost #10 of 1212/3/11 at 1:53pmQuote:
Let's hope so. Whenever we have company DS1 gets so excited he strips off his clothes and runs around screaming, which I find sufficiently embarrassing without adding public retracting.post #11 of 1212/5/11 at 7:26pmpost #12 of 1212/14/11 at 10:13pmQuote:I told him I thought intact penises were "self cleaning" he rolled his eyes and told me he had seen more "uncircumcised" penises than me and knew what he was talking about.
Rolling the eyes can be a form of non-verbal abuse (signal of contempt).
According to his logic, the ritual third world circumciser who has circed tens of thousands, knows much more than what he does.
- Cutting Kids
- › Anyone know what this brand of doll is? 5 minutes ago
- › Christian moms March '14 6 minutes ago
- › The Fertility Challenged One Thread - Spring 2014 23 minutes ago
- › UV Natural Co-op needed 35 minutes ago
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- Wolf Moon 37 minutes ago
- › Show off your bump here! 38 minutes ago
- › Worried about measles in NYC 43 minutes ago
- › Would a Major Epidemic in the Vaccinated Population Change Society? 51 minutes ago
- › Study: "Pro-Vaccine" Messages Not Changing Minds 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › vaccination debate and the information age…. 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild
- › Homebirth Forum Guidelines by Cynthia Mosher
- › Disclaimer by Cynthia Mosher
- › Does Siri Thwart Social Intelligence? by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeschooling with YouTube by SavvyHomeschool
- › Closing the Door On Childbearing by Melanie Mayo
- › A Journey Through Childhood with Seuss by Melanie Mayo
- › Belly Binding for Prenatal Comfort and... by Kristen Tea