ok, so i know once you are retractable, you clean under the foreskin. but how do you know if you are retractable if you dont want to forcebly retract? When do most boys retract? Is 2 1/2 too young to worry about this yet?
- topicCircumcisiontagged by System, 12/2/11
Related Forum Threads
- Alicia Silverstone discusses leaving son intact in her new book, "The Kind Mama". Last post on 4/18/14 at 10:58am in Understanding Circumcision
- The thread "Need help urgently" has been removed. Last post on 4/10/14 at 7:37am in Understanding Circumcision
- need info Last post on 4/7/14 at 8:02pm in Understanding Circumcision
- Feeling "whole" Last post on 4/7/14 at 6:45am in Understanding Circumcision
- Really bad article on pros and cons of circumcision Last post on 3/31/14 at 2:48pm in Understanding Circumcision
Protect Your Uncircumcised Son: Expert Medical Advice for Parents
Last edited: 11/2/12
- Cutting KidsLast edited: 9/21/12
- Case Against CircumcisionLast edited: 9/7/12
- Marilyn Milos Discusses CircumcisionLast edited: 8/24/12
- Freedom from FGMLast edited: 5/25/11
cleaning intact 2 1/2 yr oldpost #1 of 1212/2/11 at 9:49pmThread Starterpost #2 of 1212/2/11 at 10:38pm
Yes. Two and a half is too young to worry about this. DS1 is 18, and stopped hanging around the house naked at age eight. He wasn't retracting at that time, and I have no idea when (or even if) he started to do so. DS2 was four (and very proud of his new "trick", which he came to show everyone). When your son is ready to retract, he'll do it (all the time, in many cases!). You just need to let him know to retract, rinse and replace in the shower (I don't even think that's 100% necessary, except to avoid odour buildup).post #3 of 1212/3/11 at 5:09amThread Starter
i had a pedi tell me (after i yelled at him for retracting just the tip of DS to "see & make sure everything was ok")
the pedi told me that if you dont clean you get infections. Now i know he was misinformed, but i dont know HOW misinformed... Can you get infections if you dont clean? (after you are retracting, of course... this dude wanted me to forcibly retract & clean) WHen I told him I thought intact penises were "self cleaning" he rolled his eyes and told me he had seen more "uncircumcised" penises than me and knew what he was talking about.
We never saw him again.post #4 of 1212/3/11 at 5:11amThread Starterpost #5 of 1212/3/11 at 8:49amQuote:Originally Posted by Storm Bride
Yes. Two and a half is too young to worry about this. DS1 is 18, and stopped hanging around the house naked at age eight. He wasn't retracting at that time, and I have no idea when (or even if) he started to do so. DS2 was four (and very proud of his new "trick", which he came to show everyone). When your son is ready to retract, he'll do it (all the time, in many cases!). You just need to let him know to retract, rinse and replace in the shower (I don't even think that's 100% necessary, except to avoid odour buildup).
Thanks for the tip. I can't wait for my three-year-old to discover this trick.
Good thing it never even occurred to me that my sons' intact penises would need any special care beyond being thrown in the tub along with the rest of them!post #6 of 1212/3/11 at 12:22pmThe only thing you need to do is tell your ds when he is old enough to understand and can retract is to retract, rinse, replace. But he dosnt need to do it until he is older.
No not retracting to clean will not cause infection, odor possibly and smegma build up but it will not cause infection.post #7 of 1212/3/11 at 12:30pmQuote:
I think they're usually misinformed. I also think the medical community's insistence on tearing back foreskin creates a lot of issues with adhesions, and probably infections, that end up "requiring" circ to address. (I don't even think circ is necessary in these cases, but the issues that exist are iatrogenic in the first place.)post #8 of 1212/3/11 at 12:31pmpost #9 of 1212/3/11 at 12:44pmpost #10 of 1212/3/11 at 1:53pmQuote:
Let's hope so. Whenever we have company DS1 gets so excited he strips off his clothes and runs around screaming, which I find sufficiently embarrassing without adding public retracting.post #11 of 1212/5/11 at 7:26pmpost #12 of 1212/14/11 at 10:13pmQuote:I told him I thought intact penises were "self cleaning" he rolled his eyes and told me he had seen more "uncircumcised" penises than me and knew what he was talking about.
Rolling the eyes can be a form of non-verbal abuse (signal of contempt).
According to his logic, the ritual third world circumciser who has circed tens of thousands, knows much more than what he does.
- Cutting Kids
- › Hello Friends :) 8 minutes ago
- › One concerned parent to another 12 minutes ago
- › age appropriate expectations for 4 and 7yo to clean up after... 21 minutes ago
- › The Real Reason Kids Aren't Getting Vaccines 32 minutes ago
- › CNN: US Autism Rate Surges--AGAIN 53 minutes ago
- › Topical Neem for psoriasis while breastfeeding? 54 minutes ago
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- Worm Moon 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › Mothering Flash Mob - Saturday 4/19! 1 hour, 45 minutes ago
- › Grad Club: Where the group discussion continues after the ONE thread! 2 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › Severely Irritable Uterus 2 hours, 26 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › Turning Five by Sheryl Paul
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness